My turn to vitch

Guest windjamer

Guest windjamer

OK frends, after more than thirty years make that forty, working in the auto and tire bussness,can some one tell me what the he** we need 17 18 and 20 in. car tires for?? At 70 + yoa these things are starting to get heavy:eek:

Guest bkazmer

My daily driver's 17" alloys are a lot lighter than my Packard's 16" pressed steels.

To answer more seriously, a larger diameter with a lower sidewall (aspect ratio) will handle better due to reduced sidewall flex.

OK frends, after more than thirty years make that forty, working in the auto and tire bussness,can some one tell me what the he** we need 17 18 and 20 in. car tires for?? At 70 + yoa these things are starting to get heavy:eek:

Those are standard sizes for cars from 1929 to 1942. Not sure what your vitch is.

Guest windjamer

Roger please please do not post anymore pics. like that. The tires and wheels make my arms and back ache, but to put them on a outher wise beutiful 63/4 Chev. SS is down right stupid. IMHO,owner should be casterated. Wayne, have you tryed to dis-mt. and mt. these things lately?

Guest windjamer
Those are standard sizes for cars from 1929 to 1942. Not sure what your vitch is.

Come-on West, tires in the 40s did not weigh what they do today.:D

Guest bkazmer

Joe's right on the brakes (unless inboard). Today's tires are generally wider and lower at equal diameter. So maybe the tire is heavier, maybe not. But the mounted wheel plus tire is definitely lighter now. Let's not even talk about getting old ones into fender wells.

I am sure Dick's point is comparing the 17-20" wheels to the more mundane 14-15s" that were standard sizes for so long. I will concur that a 1930s sidemounted Packard wheel and tire is heavier than a modern alloy like on the Impala pictured, but those Impala wheels are much heavier than, say, a set of P235/75R15s. Joe is indeed right about the brakes too.

Actually Wayne's reference to Hot Wheels cars is probably more to the point then one might realize. I have also said that IMO longing for a real life Hot Wheels car is the main motivator for most street rods and oversize wheel & tire combinations. Todd C

Guest windjamer
:) OK sorry guys. guess I just needed to vent. We had one in the shop today and had to use a sledg to free it from rotor. Tire was worn to the cords and I think it was 10 in. wide. Red please your hurting my eyes:eek:

So we have evolved, then devolved, evolved again, and with but a little more practice, we will re-realize the merit of solid rubber tires. Not much for ride-quality, but they sure do last! Ask the owner of a 1915 Packard truck, who is probably still on his first set of tires!

How else could you make a Chevy look foolish without 20" tires"?

See post 12 above.

That thing goes beyond a Hot Wheels fetish and into the realm of the ridiculous. Or, as I've heard it called, "reDONKulous".

What's sad is the suspension mods on that 66 Impala have probably ruined the frame and rendered an otherwise nice car into a candidate for the recycler. You cannot convince me that suspension mods such as that on a convertible are safe. I would be afraid to ride in that car top down because of the body flex and stress.

I'd bet money those wheels do not meet DOT standards either. Why they're allowed to be sold in this country is a mystery to me.

...just reminds me of a comment I've made on several occasions, many this past week. The one thing I love about coming to Hershey is seeing some of my favorite cars (usually, Chevy's) the way they're SUPPOSED to look, i.e, STOCK from the factory. No SB 350s and pimped-out wheels that, if I were to draw a moral equivalence, make a prom queen look like a (gonna be careful with my words here, so hope I don't get nixed) "hussy". Trying to be tame here.

Guest Kingoftheroad

I know you guys will disagree with me but, I'm not against a nice tasteful set of aftermarket wheels (in stock size & era for the most part) on an otherwise stock (original or restored) classic. Some cars I've seen really look nice, the aftermarket wheels give the car a little more sportier look. Having aftermarket wheels is not like chopping up a perfectly good classic. That Chev in post 12 is hard to look at, thats heart breaking.

Guest bkazmer

I think the key is era. IMO, Panasports on a Sunbeam Tiger or Cragars on a GTO look period. I understand period accessory is an AACA no-no, but the vehicles still has a historic look of its time. Later wheels on a vehicles say SBC hack job. Not a fan of 50's chrome wires (Caribbean, Skylark, etc) back fitted to 40's models either. If you have to leave off the fender skirts when they were standard new, in order to fit the wheels, it ain't right (often seen with 60's - 70's big cars)

The main reason, I believe, for low profile tires, is profit! Less rubber equals more bucks in the pockets of tire manufacturers! Does anyone remember Chrome Reverse Wheels? They put more bucks in the pockets of ball joint manufacturers and garage mechanics than brakes ever could!

The main reason, I believe, for low profile tires, is profit! Less rubber equals more bucks in the pockets of tire manufacturers! Does anyone remember Chrome Reverse Wheels? They put more bucks in the pockets of ball joint manufacturers and garage mechanics than brakes ever could!

Yes, I recall, and this was then trumped by putting 31 and 33 inch tires on four wheel drives, then stunned in wonderment that mechanical problems develop!

Perry in Idaho

LOL.... :D :D :D Yup, looks like it. No traction, slides when you just touch the brakes. Will not climb a hill when it rains. No good for 4 wheeling unless you have a team of Horses, Mules, Oxen, or Donkeys pulling it. This information is provided to those who have never rode on anything with the steel hitting the highway. Like,... Hello! There is a reason that rubber was installed very early on self propelled vehicles. Dandy Dave!

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)

It isnot hardtomount heavy tires if you do it right. Don't raise the car so high, the wheel should still slightly tough the ground. Use a tire iron to slide the wheel against the hub. I sure wish my Packards had studs instead of using bolts for the wheels.

What dick is talking about here is dismount/mount tire from the wheels. Impossible to do unless you have the right equipment to do so for 50, 45, 40, 35, series. It's not so much the wheel size as it is the profile. To put a 35 series on the street is ridiculous because the state of the roads these days are so bad. I have to laugh every time a government official says we need to get people driving passenger cars instead of SUV's and trucks. The roads are so bad you NEED a truck!

I can drive one of my track cars all day with 12" rotors front and 10" rotors rear and not need more brake performance and those brakes work with 15" wheels and hauls a 3900lb. car down from 140 mph.

The 66 full size Chevy looks to me like a hopper/bouncer and what about bumper height and wheel/tire to be inside of the wheel house/mud flap requirement????:confused:

Hot wheels to some......to me another car on steroids that is not safe on the road.

Don