Custom bodied Packards

Dave Mitchell

Will look for both of you this fall, Dave! My dad had a major operation this year as well, and upon the sucessful completion I knew this would cheer him up "Well, I guess I will go ahead and make those Hershey reservations now.." (maybe you have to appreciate our sick sense of humor, but it was funny!)

That oral history is priceless, no doubt someone as detail oriented as you will be documenting it in some way.

• 1 month later...
Dang Tom, I hope you are as good at selling cars as you are at finding them or that you have a very understanding wife.
Jeff, I find the hunting very rewarding in many ways. As for selling, "what can I do to put you in the seat of a Packard today?" I am wearing a Leisure Suit by the way. Edited by Tom Laferriere (see edit history)

West - love the Dietrich, wish Packard would have gone ahead with it for 1938. The design might have benefitted from a longer decklid.

The Dietrich rendering depicts a fairly low height. Packard seemed intent on maintaining a flat floor in the 30s, i.e. no trans tunnel like the 60 Special. They might have brought the height down and kept the floor flat had they worked out the FWD prototype's issues. Am wondering if they could have instead adapted Safe-T-Flex to the rear suspension to make it independent, which would have fixed the driveshaft in place and negated the need for vertical travel in a trans tunnel. They might have shaved 3 or so inches from the vehicle height while still keeping the floor flat and staying RWD. A nice side benefit would have been industry leading ride and handling.

Paul West

post-64521-143138542726_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mahoning63 (see edit history)

Tom, I saw that car in the corral at Hershey. In a way it would be a shame to restore it. Quite a conversation piece. Maybe start a legend about it, maybe "Originally built for a survivor of the Titanic who was afraid to travel without a lifeboat handy"? If some people can be convinced that Tucker built a convertible they certainly would believe this story.

"A Collapsible boat-back that was originally built for a gentleman farmer who had a country estate where duck hunting was a popular sport. Still looking for gun rack door"

I believe it did move under it's own power though, not sure how many of the 12 cylinders were in working order.. :)

Oops. Wrong file. Let's try that again.

A special order for Ed MacCauley: 1938 1703 Super Eight.

Is this the same car that he two toned? He seemed to like the victoria top - didn't he incorporate that into a Darrin custom later also? This one is pretty tame compared to the earlier speedster.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest 1938darrinpackard

"Life is too short to drive a boring car." Sharing some photos of my Dad's 1938 Darrin Packard "Sunset Strip" model Victoria convertible. (1938 Darrin Packard - Sunset Strip - Home)

5544626.jpg

3516795.jpg

2876633.jpg

8835758.jpg

7590034.jpg

and you can also find photos that photographer Tony Piff recently took on OldParkedCars.com

The Car's Story...as I understand it

Owners.Here is this car's story. Packard originally thought to be built for Adolph Zucker, founder of Paramount Pictures. Second owner was a Boeing engineer who was too short to drive the car without three inch extenders on the brake and gas pedals. Third owner is current owner, since 1950.

Nice Drive Modifications.

The car has several modifications to it - the first being a 1941 grill clip installed in late 1940 by Dutch Darrin himself at the request of the owner after seeing a crash repair Dutch had made on a similar 1938 Darrin. The car has had a super eight engine installed, a Mitchell Overdrive, power steering utilizing a mid 1950’s General Motor’s generator/power steering pump, radial ply tires on wire rims and minor electrical modifications that the current owner thought would make the car a better driver. It's a nice drive. A family friend states "The car is an excellent driver. I’m not sure if the Mitchell is a 26% or 36% increase but it turns the car into a respectable highway cruiser.".

Guest 1938darrinpackard

Thanks West - I appreciate the information. My Dad loved this car and unfortunately I didn't pay that much attention to it while he was alive. Now that I have "custody" of this family member I'm working to fully appreciate it. Aesthetically I've always appreciated it - it's an elegant car...however I don't know a thing about cars so learning the auto parts and classic car terminology is new. For example...I don't know what the "front clip" is -- is it the front bumper? I'm gradually going through boxes of manuals and documents (including a letter from Rudy Stoessel) but it's slow going. The online forums are wonderful but I'm still a neophyte in just understanding what parts are similar to standard Packard and what falls in the "custom-bodied" (right term for this?) enhancements made by Dutch Darrin's team. I did find the motor number yesterday (A313463A) which confirmed the 1938 16th series Model Eight identification. I've also heard it referred to as a convertible and a roadster - not sure if both terms are accurate or just the convertible is accurate. Looking at online 1938 Packard (not custom) sales brochures last night I did notice that the Packard doors open normally (handle by drivers shoulder) while the Darrin has the door that latchs up front (gullwing?). It's turned out to be more like art appraisal than fish species identification.

Edited by 1938darrinpackard (see edit history)

38Darrin,

That is a very nice looking car. The front clip consists of the front fenders, the radiator cowl and radiator grill. It can all be removed as a single assembly. The front bumper is attached to the frame and is not part of the front clip.

The parts on your car (omitting the modifications), except the the body panels, some trim, and interior from the cowl back, should all be standard Packard items for a 1601. Also, the bumpers and hubcaps look to be standard issue.

Again, very nice looking car. I hope you get plenty of chances to enjoy it.

Cheers,

Tom

Edited by 34PackardRoadsta (see edit history)

Guest 1938darrinpackard

Tom,

Thanks for the information - question for you... Since your username has 'roadsta' in it I thought you could answer the question on whether Dad's 1938 Darrin Packard is considered a roadster. I'm not clear on the difference between a roadster and a convertible. Thanks!

Your Darrin is considered a "convertible victoria." In addition to what 34PackrdRoadster has said, your front end (clip) is fully custom as well. All Darrin bodies were fully custom front to back, but use a production chassis. The grille, hood and fenders will not fit a normal 1938 Packard (or 1940, in your case).

The doors are not considered "gullwing." Gullwing doors are the ones that open upward, and look like a bird getting ready for flight. Your doors are front-opening doors (many times referred to as "suicide doors," but an enormously overused term to somehow make it seem special, even though they were used widely during the Pre-World War II period).

Your wire wheels are postwar issue (from the mid 1950s), and are not correct for the car.

Edited by West Peterson (see edit history)

Maybe A.J. meant the Pilot Ray lights. How does one access that box - not through the top of the fender, I hope.

BW would look right on this car, great combo of sporting and formal lines - would look great in maroon, dark blue or black.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 1938darrinpackard
Your Darrin is considered a "convertible victoria." In addition to what 34PackrdRoadster has said, your front end (clip) is fully custom as well. All Darrin bodies were fully custom front to back, but use a production chassis. The grille, hood and fenders will not fit a normal 1938 Packard (or 1940, in your case).

The doors are not considered "gullwing." Gullwing doors are the ones that open upward, and look like a bird getting ready for flight. Your doors are front-opening doors (many times referred to as "suicide doors," but an enormously overused term to somehow make it seem special, even though they were used widely during the Pre-World War II period).

Your wire wheels are postwar issue (from the mid 1950s), and are not correct for the car.

Thanks West - had a photoshoot today with the car and got some shots with the "suicide doors" open.6619282.jpg4597560.jpg. Our friend Ted also calls them "show me more" doors, referring to leggy starlets exiting from the car.

My favorite year as well, for almost all car lines. Nash would be an exception, which continued the clamshell fenders through 1933. The nice thing about the 1932 Packards is that even the Twelves had those beautiful headlights. I've never been a fan of those tiny headlights they use on the twelve-cylinder cars of 1933-34. I like the shape, I just think they're too small for the proportions.

Those may be Michelins, but I don't think they're radials.