Last robe rails?

rocketraider

Jonny88's pictures of his under-consideration 1951 Olds has got me wondering...

When was the last factory installation of a robe rail on the back of the front seat? Latest I personally know of would probably have been 1953-54 senior GM cars?

Another one of those elegant and thoughtful touches that disappeared to lack of need after factory installed heaters became common.

My two 1958 Buick Limited 2 drs both have slit back front bench seats and have the matching material covered (what I would call) robe rails. Not sure if this was the last year for this feature or not. Can't remember if Dad's 1959 Olds Ninety Eight had them or not.

My grandparents owned a 1956 Australian DeSoto Diplomat Custom (SP23) (a 1953 Plymouth body with a 230 side valve six and teeth) which had a robe rail in it. The Aussies kept that body in production until at least 1962 (up to the AP3). It would be interesting to hear from someone from Oz who knows of one and whether they kept the robe rail.

One thing that determines whether or not the car would have a robe rail or not....usually, the 2 door did not have a robe rail. Only the solid full seat and not the split back, would have the robe rail.

Surprisingly, our 1970 Cadillac Convertible DeVille has a robe strap/cord on the back of each side of the front seatbacks (I'm working from memory here since the car is currently garaged 10 miles from home.

The '54 Caddy convertible certainly has them.

post-54863-143138379079_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143138379087_thumb.jpg

nzcarnerd, i have a 54 US assembled DeSoto diplomat deluxe, it does not have the robe rails . ( we used to call them grab rails , used mainly to compensate for poor drivers )i also used to have a Aussie SP23 diplomat which had been cut into a ute, it had the rail , as did my 37 chrysler . i also have a US assembled 39 S6 DeSoto it has a rail. i have no idea when they were phased out , but from my observations , ithink they were only used on the top of line models

Dave Mellor - the '54 Ford my parents had that I referred to in my post of 2 days ago was also a Crestline Victoria. It had a robe rail on the back of each seat. I remember the blanket my father kept there because I used it to make a tent in my bedroom. The car was dark green with a white roof.

Guest South_paw

My '56 Fleetwood had a robe rail, grab handles and a map pouch!

100_1661.jpg

Marty, your memory serves you well. The 70 Cadillac does have them. Although not very useful :P

Edited by South_paw (see edit history)

I'm pretty certain the Cadillac Talisman models of the early to mid-1970s had not only factory-equipped robe rails, but lap blankets as well!

Although I probably wouldn't call them robe rails, the back of the front seats in my '76 Eldorado convertible had handles or straps from which I often hung a blanket or two for chilly nights.

Dave Mellor - the '54 Ford my parents had that I referred to in my post of 2 days ago was also a Crestline Victoria. It had a robe rail on the back of each seat. I remember the blanket my father kept there because I used it to make a tent in my bedroom. The car was dark green with a white roof.

Ours was ivory with a blue roof and blue and white interior. My mother who previously never drove had to start learning quick what with 3 young boys and living in the burbs. It had to be an automatic since she still wasn't crazy about the whole idea. I remember going to a lake,there was a lady in the front passenger seat. When we stopped she got out and, forgetting it was a 2 door car, slammed the door shut on my fingers as I was getting out.

Heh- a 55 Ford Customline sedan's door got my fingers once when I was a kid, as did a 51 Buick Roadmaster.

Agreed- that Fleetwood's insides are gorgeous! And all we can choose from now are varying shades of gray and taupe... Is that a factory A/C control I see under the dash?

I'm trying to remember if I ever saw a Talisman in the flesh. Knew they existed, but they were a little rich for my part of the world.

Guest South_paw
Agreed- that Fleetwood's insides are gorgeous! And all we can choose from now are varying shades of gray and taupe... Is that a factory A/C control I see under the dash?

Good eye! Yes the car has factory a/c.... roof vents and all :cool:

100_1687.jpg

I'm pretty certain the Cadillac Talisman models of the early to mid-1970s had not only factory-equipped robe rails, but lap blankets as well!

Although I probably wouldn't call them robe rails, the back of the front seats in my '76 Eldorado convertible had handles or straps from which I often hung a blanket or two for chilly nights.

Matt,

The Talisman (& other Caddys in 1974-1976) had available optional matching robes and pillows, but the strap across the back of the front seats was called an "assist strap". It had an insert that was upholstered in vinyl to match the rest of the car, but strictly speaking it wasn't a round, upholstered cloth robe rail typical of 1930s-1950s cars.

But I guess if the car actually came with a matching robe, what else would you hang it from?:)

1fleetwint76.jpg