Tucker #1010 is going to auction !

Guest TuckerFan48

Guest Tucker Fan 48

Steven Nicas owned Tucker #1017

By 1981 I believe Les Sheaffer would already have sold #1008

so that car would have been Tucker #1044.

Thanks for the great information.

I also don't see what all the fuss was about with the AACA Hershey Museum getting the "Tucker Collection" (three cars).

It was very nice for their owner to donate them... eventually !

BUT~

All the muuseum really needed was ONE Tucker.

Any car museum has limited space to display it's cars. Why display three of the exact same make &model car, except for color, in their OWN wing ?

Do Tucker cars deserve their own display wing ?

Why display THREE of the same car ?

This just shows you the power of a popular Hollywood Movie ; and it's ability to sway public opinion.

I know this comment will ruffle some fethers~

This is NOT my intent; just my opinion!

Do not want to hit a Hornet's nest with this opinion.

I understand what you're saying about the room built to house the Tuckers, BUT I believe (according to the signs) that Mr. Cammack is the one that paid for that room to store his collection.

You can't really fault a museum for storing one man's collection in a room that he paid to have built can you?

The Cammack Room has been used to house many wonderfull exhibits since the AACA Museum opened its' doors in 2003. During that time, my father and I have been blessed to be asked to have two of our vehicles (one is in there now) to be included in that display room during two of the many temporary exhibits that have taken place in that room.

My only concern is that when Mr. Cammack dies and his collection comes to the AACA Museum, I wonder if the AACA Museum will build another room to house temporary exhibits (or have the money to do so).

My dad and I came down to visit our car on Thursday, and happened to run into the curator (Jeff Bliemeister). Jeff told my dad and I that the current woodie exhibit has been one of the more successfull exhibits that the AACA Museum has ever seen. I think that is very good to help the museum pay down its' bills, and it is an honor to play a role in helping to bring people in the doors to keep the museum running.

Ghost, I know what you're trying to say, but through the generosity of Mr. Cammack, he has helped keep the lights on at the Museum through his generosity, and when he dies, we'll be blessed to have his entire collection.

You really can't fault a man or a museum for their willingness to do that.

Guest South_paw

Interesting side bar here. Did the car make the movie or the movie make the car? When you look at the amount of folks around the car in that 1976 Hershey pic it makes you think the car was quite popular prior to the movie. Let's go back to 1950. Two Tuckers did nothing more than pass through the town of Cedar Rapids, IA and that was enough to make the Newspaper the next day. Here's the article

Picture%203.png

Guest Tucker Fan 48

Great find on this article from 10/29/50 in the Cedar Rapids Gazette. I'd love to see the photo the guy said he took.

Of course the auction was not in New York but in Chicago and we know there were more than 30 cars made.

If anyone else has great history like this on the Tucker please post it up. Thanks in advance.

Edited by Tucker Fan 48 (see edit history)

Guest billybird

While we're on this subject, I might as well ask this question. Circa 1980-1985, I was just getting my "feet wet" in the old car hobby and had never even heard of a Tucker at that time. I was looking through a auto publication and there was a section where people could send in a picture of a vehicle and have it identified. A guy sent in a picture he had taken of a car in a "barn". They identified it as a 1948 Tucker. I remenber because the picture was of the front and three headlights caught my attention. Does anyone remember the publication? Which Tucker it could have been? After this thread now I wonder if it was this very car that is going to auction. I wish now I had saved the publication, but it didn't mean anything to me then.

On July 19, 1948, Tucker #17(*) stopped in Anderson, SC, on a promotional tour, shown here

on Main Street in front of our Fire Department at City Hall; its Manufacturer's Plate 1, 19 is

clearly visible on the car's grille using a magnifying glass. The car's visit was successful,

in that at least two Andersonians bought stock in the company, but more on that later.

tucker_19x.jpg

Fast-forward to early-1999, when the city was in the throes of a downtown renovation,

it was decided to hold an annual Main Street Car Show on Father's Day weekend, 2000,

to showcase the new streetscape. Casting about for a theme for the event,

the 1948 photo re-surfaced, thanks to a couple of local historians.

Knowing that our friends Gene & Neta Cofer had Tucker #34 in their Stable of Thoroughbreds

(aka The cofer Collection, Tucker, GA), I contacted Mr. Cofer about the possibility of

showing the car the next summer, to which he agreed.

As the time neared for the show, Gene said that, yes, we could still use the car, provided

that we came and got it, and loaded it, using one of his rigs; this would familiarize

us with the car. Such was the nature of the man, and it's an honor I'll never forget,

and will always cherish.

tucker_34_2x.jpg

Larger, the Tucker in transit the weekend before our show.

tucker_34_3x.jpg

Larger

Tucker #34 graced our former downtown garage for about 7 days awaiting the show,

and I had to pinch myself every time I opened the doors to see it sitting there!

tucker_34_1x.jpg

Larger

On show day, the car was a magnet as folks thronged around it, attesting to its still-

powerful "draw" as a promotional tool. One of those original 1948 investors was a

local dentist, who reportedly purchased $25,000 in Tucker stock and became the

local Tucker rep; the lady in the pink blouse is his daughter-in-law. Needless to say,

she was thrilled to recount her father-in-law's vicarious involvement in the failed company,

never mentioning any of the family's regrets of his losing such a large amount of money.

tucker_34_5x.jpg

Larger, the event's dash plaque was created by a very talented local illustrator,

Scott Foster, who has continued the tradition for 10 years.

tucker_34_4x.jpg

Larger

Near the end of that sunny, summer day, I shot this photo of our historic County Courthouse

with some of the remaining show cars, including a yellow 1921 Anderson Touring Car,

built in Rock Hill, SC, and brought by Paul Ianuario, head of the BMW Zentrum Museum.

It, too, helped to make that Main Street Show a roaring success, establishing it as

a signature downtown event, now in its 10th year.

I look forward to my next visit to the AACA Museum to see the Tucker Collection,

and wish all involved my personal best wishes.

TG

(*) See Tucker Fan 48's post further down clarifying the actual car number.

Edited by TG57Roadmaster (see edit history)

Guest billybird

Thanks for those photos and story. Just great! I believe I had a friend who was at that show. Do you happen to remember a very nice 1941 Buick Convertible {yellow/sequoia cream} from N.C.

Guest Tucker Fan 48

tucker_19x.jpg

Great story and photos. It could not have been Tucker #1019 however. #1019 was a light grey car and was in Seattle on 7/16/48

where it stayed until late 1950. I have many photos of various cars and there are very few where the plate # matched the car #.

Is there anyone around from 1948 that remembers the color of this car?

It is a very early car and certainly an early bodied car. The black and white photos make it hard to tell between black, maroon, or green.

I'm going to guess that it was #1017 which was at Darling Motors, 522 S. College St, in Charlotte N.C. in June of 1948. #1017 was a

dark green car. It appears to be the only dark colored car that could have been in that area. At that point there were not many

completed cars. #1017 was in Atlanta during that period and traveled between Charlotte and Atlanta. Is Anderson near either of those

cities? By September #1017 was back in Chicago and in late October it was in Indianapolis where it stayed.

Today #1017 is one of the finest Tuckers in existence.

post-61682-143138339104_thumb.jpg

Thanks guys!

Billybird, the '41 Buick Super 'vert belongs to Jerry & Joan Bodden of Eden, NC,

great folks and long time BCA members.

I just got back from our library, and found the Tucker photo in the microfilm from

The Anderson Daily Mail, July 20, 1948, page 1.

tucker_19x.jpg

Larger, the caption from the piece...

"REVOLUTIONARY CAR SEEN BY HUNDREDS

Something new in automotive engineering was on display in Anderson yesterday when the first

of the new Tucker cars was viewed by hundreds of persons. The car, shown above, was parked in

front of the City Hall. The vehicle has the engine in the rear, and the baggage and luggage compartment

in front, where the engine of most cars is located. It also has many other special features, including

an extra headlight that is useful in rounding a curve in the highway at night. Dr. Forest D. Suggs is local

agent for the car, which is expected to go into mass production soon. Standing at the hood of the car,

at left, L.E. Shealy, factory representative, who brought the car to Anderson, and right

(both wearing hats) Dr. Suggs. (Daily Mail photo)."

The microfilm photo is dark and slightly different in the placement of the two gents, but Dr. Suggs

is the tall man at the back (with hands on hips, above the air intake) in the photo above, and

Mr. Shealy is the short, stout man in the straw boater, with his hands in his pockets,

standing 6th from right (just above the taillight).

It only took a few minutes to find the story in the microfilm, and well worth it!

TG

P.S. Tucker Fan 48: Glad to know about the MFGR's plates not matching the car,

you know way more than I ever hope to.

Anderson lays right between Atlanta and Charlotte (on what was then US 29),

so there could be little doubt about it being #17.

I'm sure #17's owner will be happy to add this snippet of the car's past to its dossier.

Edited by TG57Roadmaster (see edit history)

Guest Tucker Fan 48

Does the fire station building still exist? You might like to invite the current owner of #1017 to bring it down some year for your Main Street Car Show. I know the car goes to Amelia Island on occasion. Maybe you can convince him to stop by.

Guest billybird

TG57Roadmaster: I have been knowing Jerry Bodden for about 20 years now. We live 5-10 min. from each other and have helped each other on one anothers cars many times. He hasn't been able to convert me to Buicks and I haven't been able to convert him to Fords! We joke about that all the time. One thing for sure; they ARE fine folks!

Guest Silverghost

It looks as if when the Tucker Collection finally arrives at the Hershey museum a fund for another new additonal wing will have to be started to continue the great interesting outside car theme displays that we all now like ; and have come acustomed to seeing . This ever-changing variety makes this museum unique & interesting and keeps us comming back for return visits.

I find the Tucker and it's builder's story interesting. I know this exhibit will be more than just three different color cars.

BUT...

It has one theme, & one theme only ~

TUCKER !

And the TUCKER story only ~

I like corvettes -

But I would not want to see an entire museum wing dedicated to just 53-54 early corvettes !

Most of the general public would not want to see just a Corvette wing all the time.

I know the man kindly donated a lot of money, a museum wing, and his entire Tucker collection.

That was very kind of him to do all this~

But it is ALL TUCKER !

Nothing else ~

I stand by my initial opinion...

All any car museum really needs is one Tucker...

donated collection & money for a private wing or not !

I would not go back, over and over again to see the exact same museum display .

It takes a lot of variety to keep the general public comming back over and over again.

I never tire of the ever changing variety of car displays in that wing at present now & the museum's own rotating collection displays.

A museum with a static wing dedicted to just one unique, but obscure car will soon loose foot traffic in that display wing.

Many large museums in Philadelphia found this out the hard way .

They were loosing foot traffic and big money $$$ year after year !

Many were struggling just to survive and pay the bills.

My Father was on the Board of the Franklin Institute & Science Museum for decades.

He saw this situation first hand as did I

He pleaded with the museum board members to change .

If any museum does not change & re-invent itself it soon stagnates .

This is why the Phladelphia Museum of Art and the Frankin Institute Science museum finally have an ever changing roadshow of outside exibits comming in. King Tut, Body Worlds, NASA/ Air & Space etc. They PAY big $$$ Money for these unique outside exibits to come to their museum in Philadelphia.

Variety keeps people interested in comming back for return visits ; again and again.

Operating a museum sucessfully is an art.

A museum is also a business~

Like it or not a Museum is in the entertainment & education business.

"INFO-TAINMENT "

It needs foot traffic and outside revenue to continue to exist !

It takes a lot to keep the outside public interested .

A museum cannot exist with just car collecor folks like us !

Think about it~

You don't watch the very same TV show epsode, Movie, or the exact same Superbowl game over & over again ;Do you ? !

And you don't watch the TUCKER movie each week or month ?

Any museum must change, evolve, and re-invent itself to survive !

Many museums sadly close each year due to money and attendance issues.

This is just my opinion .

I want this Hershey AACA museum to succeed !

I know full well that others may not like or agree with this stated opinion.

Especially many AACA officers & Museum board members.

BUT~

I call things like I see them~

Edited by Silverghost (see edit history)

Guest Tucker Fan 48

My brother had a 55 Buick Roadmaster he paid $25.00 for and drove

for almost 3 years. It was real rusty like Tucker #1010 but always

started in below zero weather and went through anything. The car

was a tank. After 3 years he sold it for $50.00 and bought a Vega

for the $50.00 and drove it for about 5 years. I don't think he ever

put anything other than gas and oil in either of them. He finally sold

the Vega to a scrap dealer for $50.00

He always laughs that he drove for 8 years and made a $25.00 profit.

I always loved that Roadmaster dashboard.

Guest Tucker Fan 48

The Cammack Collection is more than just a few Tuckers sitting around. It is more of a Tucker Museum. The three cars are all different although most people would not notice it. Dave has the most extensive collection of documents anywhere. I'd guess well over 100,000 documents. He has almost every blueprint, every change order, memo. picture.

He has also collected a large amount of memorabilia from dealers and former owners. The amount of items is incredible.

I know you'd have to be a Tucker fan to see the value of it. Some people would look at it and say why do they have 3 cars that are the same. I could spend an entire day showing someone all the differences. I know I could spend a week at Cammacks and never look at everything I wanted to see.

The Cammack family paid for the wing in Hershey and the Museum agreed to accept it so I don't see any issue with it. I'm sure it will bring some new people to Hershey once the cars get there. Maybe it'll even inspire some young child to become a walking talking Tucker encyclopedia. We can never have too many of them.

I think the Tucker at the museum is great,all of them.but after awhile send one to a diff museum,so everyone can see.Some folks on the west coast can not see a exibit like thisThe woody collection is spot on,if they did not be borrowed from elsewhere.we would not have seen them

Guest Tucker Fan 48

It's funny to hear about all the accessories that people bought for the Tuckers and how they got tossed out or sold cheap.

Last week a well worn set of Tucker Luggage went for $5,100.00 on E-Bay. The radios, if they are complete, bring $500+, in the box will bring $700+.

A dealership radio display went for $6,000+

And soon we'll see what a rusty old unrestored Tucker will bring!

Guest Tucker Fan 48

Silverghost,

I'd agree with you to a point. You are correct, a Tucker only museum would find it hard to survive. If it could survive, I would have built one long ago. But that is not what we are talking about. Here the Tuckers will be in one wing of a much larger museum. The Tuckers will be there for those that want to see them and other cars will be in the rest of the museum to support it. The Cammack's understood this and wanted to put the collection where it could survive and help a museum prosper at the same time. The Tuckers will attract an audience of their own. Sure, not enough to support a Tucker only museum but they'll add probably another 5-10% to the people that are already coming. For a museum that extra group of people may mean the difference of closing or staying open. If the Cammack's had not donated the space it would not be there at all so someone can't really say it could be better used because it would not exist otherwise. Just look at that space as helping to keep the rest of the Museum alive. There are many people that will be greatful that it is there. I'm sure the Museum people are thrilled that they received this gift.

Edited by Peter J.Heizmann (see edit history)

Tucker Fan 48,

I think you've got a pretty good perspective on it, and obviously a lot more knowledge on Tuckers than most of the rest of us. This summer I crisscrossed the US catching great collections and museums along the way. Got to see 5 Tuckers in the process. While at Hershey went to the AACA Museum and spent as much time looking at the Tucker memorabilia and the board with the information about the pending donation of the 3 cars as I did any of the other displays.

So yes, I too believe the Tuckers alone will draw some that otherwise would not come.

Just my 2 cents...

Bob

Edited by mdsbob
Make that 5...Forgot about the Tin Goose & 1013 @ Swigart Museum (see edit history)

Tucker Fan 48 and mdsbob,

Thank you very much. Well stated!

I speak as a member of the AACA and cannot thank the Cammack Family enough for their dedication to our club through donations to our Museum, Library, and, National Headquarters.

Tuckers may be the subject here however it is mind boggling how much the Cammack Family has contributed to this great club for our enjoyment now and future generations down the road.

Regards,

Peter J.

I grew up in museums and always thought that the primary reason for the existence of museums was PRESERVATION and EDUCATION over time, not just entertaining the public. Yea I know traffic is important to fund the museum , that's the job of rotating displays and publicity, but let's not forget it's primary missions. How anyone could "dis" the Cammack collection and their contribution to the museum is beyond me.

Guest Tucker Fan 48

TG57Roadmaster,

I noticed that Dr. Forest D. Suggs is not in the Tucker Club database as a dealer. Records on Tucker dealers are sometimes spotty as they were sold by distributors and then reported to the company. Much of that information was seized by the government for the trial.

Is there anyway you can find out what Dr. Forest D. Suggs called his Tucker Dealership and where it was located in Anderson? I could send it to the club to add to their roster.

Guest Silverghost

I am not "Knocking" the Tucker car or Mr. Cammack's Tucker collection; nor his great financial support to the AACA or his helping build the Museum.

I am sure it is indeed a fine collection !

Only the special Tucker wing with eventually three of the same Tucker only cars & Tucker only memoribilia that will be located in this wing.

The AACA & Museum is about, and should be about ALL old cars.

Tucker only built approx 51 cars. Does this museum need a wing dedicated for every oddball car ever built or company that failed ?

OR~

Is it now.. The Hershey AACA & TUCKER Museum ?

I just think this wing space would be better used for the great ever rotating displays that we have seen since it's opening.

This would keep the displays new and exciting and always changing.

Any museum needs variety to keep the public's interest in comming back. That's what makes any museum successful long into the future.

This great car museum should appeal to all old car owners & their cars & collections...

Not to just used display one man's Tucker collection & obsession .

There are many that do not share my view on this issue~

But from the various emails I have received about this posting; there are also many that also DO share this opinion also.

Again:

This is just my opinion !

BUT~

I am not afraid to voice my opinion.

Others are afraid to do so !

I do not wish to insult or hurt anyone's feelings on this issue.

Many here wish I would just keep quiet and not bring this issue up on this forum; but just talk to others behind the scenes.

Because of outside pressure this will be my last post on this issue here on this forum & possibly my last post on this entire forum all-together !

Edited by Silverghost (see edit history)

I am not "Knocking" the Tucker car or Mr. Cammack's Tucker collection; nor his great financial support to the AACA or his helping build the Museum.

Only the special Tucker wing with eventually three of the same Tucker only cars & Tucker only memoribilia that will be located in this wing.

The AACA & Museum is about ALL old cars. Tucker only built approx 51 cars. Does this museum need a wing dedicated for every oddball car ever built ?

OR~

Is it now.. The Hershey AACA & TUCKER Museum ?

I just think this wing space would be better used for the great ever rotating displays that we have seen since it's opening.

This would keep the displays new and exciting and always changing.

Any museum needs variety to keep the public's interest in comming back. That's what makes any museum successful long into the future.

This museum should appeal to all od car owners & their cars & collections...

Not to just used display one man's Tucker collection & obsession .

There are many that do not share my view on this issue~

But from the various emails I have received about this posting; there are also many that also share this opinion also.

Again:

This is just my opinion !

BUT~

I am not afraid to voice my opinion.

I do not wish to insult or hurt anyone's feelings on this issue.

And what feedback and factual information as to the plans did you receive from the Museum?

Would really help give you some facts before a lot of conjecture begins.

Regards,

Peter.

Silverghost,

I really think it is a bit premature to complain about a display before it exists. If it is half as well done as every other AACA Museum display, it will be well worth seeing. I look forward to it. I have faith that the Museum will continue to improve and expand. I just wish I lived close enought to make it there more often. I normally only make it there once a year, in conjunction with the Fall Meet.

Keep an open mind and I think you may very well be amazed. One of the great things about this forum and AACA is that even if we don't like exactly the same old car stuff, we can usually work together and get along and enjoy our own favorite portion of the wide and diverse experiences found in AACA.

Yes you are. Falls under the category of, "don't spit in someone's eye and tell them it's raining".

Does this museum need a wing dedicated for every oddball car ever built or company that failed ?

Sure, as long as people like the Cammack's keep paying for it, keep building them. So, better to have no donation and no wing? Ahhh, wait, I get it -- you think you're entitled to spend other people's money for them....

Because of outside pressure this will be my last post on this issue here on this forum & possibly my last post on this entire forum all-together !

Shucks.

Guest Tucker Fan 48

Because of outside pressure this will be my last post on this issue here on this forum & possibly my last post on this entire forum all-together !<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Silverghost,

Hopefully you'll continue to post and try to keep an open mind on the Cammack gift. The display really is more than 3 cars. There is massive amounts of information. The Tucker story is more than cars. I can't tell you how many college students study the Tucker Corporation each year as a business example. Here was a small startup company trying to get a product to market that was underfunded. Despite what some opinions are they had a pretty good product that was way ahead of it's time. (how many cars that heavy got 20+MPG in 1948). The automatic transmission they were about to put into the next group of cars only had 28 parts. Anyway, I'm getting sidetracked. The company had a lot of interference from competitors but still had over 100,000 orders for cars. People at the time loved the cars.

The lessons learned by the Tucker Corporation would apply to any small business. The AACA has a great opportunity to not only show some cars but what it actually took for every small car company to get started and why so many fail. There are plenty of engines and even a test frame that the Museum should have no trouble mixing it up to keep it interesting.

While the cars and a lesson in business might still not interest some, there will be a number of people that will support it. Personally I wouldn't go to the rubber band museum but they seem to keep enough people interested to keep it open. Hopefully you'll be pleasantly surprised with the Cammack Collection.

Give the museum a chance everyone! The display is not even on the drawing board yet and we are already supposing it is not going to be all it can be! I am sure when the collection does come to Hershey that our new museum executive director and the board will make it a world class exhibit. I would guess that some of the material may be digitally copied and at the library for researchers.

• 3 weeks later...