Next season.

Guest windjamer

Guest windjamer

:( Sad to say it wont be long befor we in the cold weather states must put our toys to bed untill next year. Did you attend a lot of shows this summer?

With out nameing any names, what did you like or dislike about the shows you went to? I dont see any way to improve on AACA national shows,but what about local shows,I went to a local show that had nearly a thousand participants,anouther was lucky to have 75 cars.Once again,without nameing anyone or org. What makes one better than the outher? What would you do to make the perfact show? Be nice now.:D

Ugh, as usual, the end of the old car season is coming way too early for me--so I'm going to do my best to keep on getting the oldies out as much as possible from now until the salt & sand start hitting the CT roads.

Events that stick in my mind often involve unique venues. Two examples that I think of are a Trolley Museum car show (where antique cars are assembled in a trolley yard, with many old trolleys and trolley barns all around), and another at a small airport, which also features a "fly-in" airplane gathering--lots of action and lots of cool old machinery to enjoy.

Another involves a benefit for a memorial scholarship fun at a local high school. A young student who enjoyed cars was killed in a car crash a few years back, and his family has worked hard to build up the memorial car show. Not only is it a fun show and a great cause, but it also happens at my high school alma mater, in my original home town.

Car shows in general that benefit worthy charitable causes are always high on my list.

I just heard about a German car show at a vintage radio museum that's happening, I think, tomorrow, up in the central part of the state--now that sounds unique and cool for sure, but as I have other stuff to do closer to home, and there's a very worthy cause-supporting local car show happening also right in my local area--that'll be the one I most likely make it to...

{Copying back Quadfin's post from the original deleted thread}

Re: Next season.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, I'm over the "Trolling for Trophies" phase, so I only put my car is as "Do Not Judge" or "Display Only" at local shows. I look for shows that have potentially large spectator traffic. I enjoy chatting with the natives, and sharing the car with them, maybe inspiring a few youngsters into Car Culture. (See my comments in the latest issue of Hemmings Classic Car...)

It is also nice when there are activities that interest kids, so my 9-year-old will be interested in going with me. At the Richmond Region show in June, I saw a herd of kids flock around several different cars, as the Youth Program Leader explained the finer details and components. THAT was great to see. My daughter enjoyed the kids program at Blacksburg. Also, more than that, she LOVED the way she was treated - virtually adopted - by the other AACA members at the show. She can't wait until the next one.

I'm not really into modifieds, but if they will draw more spectators, I can be pleasant. To each our own.

The perfect show, to me, was New Bern. Shows in a "Downtown" setting seem to draw more outsiders in, rather than just the entrants, sitting in our chairs back by the trunk.

Another thing that is a necessity, is enough room to spread out. Cars crammed together look more like a retro parking lot, rather than a car show. I like to have lots of room between cars, so spectators can view the car from all angles, and not have to slither between doors.

Sometimes, I know, these are difficult to reconcile. The large remote field in the fairgrounds provides lots of room, but is usually lacking in road appeal to draw in spectators. A city park or parking lot may generate more interest, but the cars may be too close together. I have left several shows because they became too impacted, and I knew that I would not enjoy them.

I'll post again Sunday, after the Northern Neck Region show.

Jim Eccleston

1961 Coupe de Ville

BATILAC

This is an excellent question, but may be one of those chocolate vs. vanilla things. Our region is in the midst of trying to figure out how to attract more cars & spectators, so it is relavent right now for us especially. For what it is worth, here are a few thoughts:

1) Venue, space, shade, crowd control. Lately I tend to avoid cruise night type shows due to the crowds with bicycles, skateboards, pets, strollers. traditional shows or concours draw fewer overall people, but virtually no hassles either.

2) Organized classes

3) Judging; fewer shows do this. I am not necesarilly looking to collect trophies but it does give the car owners reason to stick around, and even with it's inherent problems some form of judging by a local club beats the new, people's choice or popular vote IMO.

4) Theme of some sort, either featured guest, marque or marques adds interest.

5) Swap Meet: if the swap meet is managed well, and you can get actual old car parts, it is a huge plus. In my area there are a few shows whose success I think is largely linked to this.

6) Lastly, we have been to a couple of shows recently that have made a real effort to attract the older stuff; by featuring or even waiving fees for cars older than a certain year. This is a big plus IMO. I will generally look for a show that features the older stuff, but again that only matters if that is what you are looking for.

Missed a show last weekend in CT that cuts off at 1958, used to be pre-war only. That is not a huge show, but somehow draws fantastic cars. Maybe the cut off is the reason, I really do not know, but since they hit the years I like best I love the show.

Contradicting myself I will also say variety is nice, and I will usually look the field over, so general shows seem more interesting than marque specific shows.

Stock Steve, the season in CT is far from over! Summer has been so hot I think we are at peak season now 'till maybe mid-November!!

There are several good shows in CT this weekend, a tough choice Sunday which is a good problem to have. Any of them beats cutting the lawn.

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)

Great question. The Northern Neck Region of Virginia was, and is, facing the same problem, attendance. Glad to see that my buddy 'Fins, is coming to our show tomorrow in Kilmarnock, Va.

Our biggest problem is having the show as the same date as other area shows, a real no-no in my opinion. This year is the same date as Bull Run , and a steam-tractor-car show near Richmond Virginia. We're using the same date, because 3 local towns have gotten Miss America to come to the area and she will be helping pass out trophies in the afternoon. We will also have Miss Wheelchair of Virginia with us during the day too.

Ok, classes! We have kept the judged shows all these years, following the cut off dates as National does. We do allow modified and customs cars. This year, we have had a new startup Corvette Club in our area. They did not want to become a chapter of our club, so we are letting them bring their club cars, even the newer ones, to our show. They will be judged by the Corvette guys, and we will have classes divided up like the Corvette series, Series 1, 2,3, and such. If this works, we may even invite local Mustang clubs next years...perish the thought.:eek::)

Just kidding.

OH!, and something else new this year? We're bringing in a mechanical bull ride setup this year. I have challenged all comers to compete against me on Saturday. The next time I talk to you guys, I may be in a hospital....see ya!!

Wayne

Guest windjamer

:)Alright,got a couple ideas,one thing sure we have to boost membership. I hear a lot of talk that young folks dont want to get involved with old cars,they just want rice burners with huge mufflers that make a lot of high pitched noise and not much else. Maby its because our older cars that are show ready are out of there reach money wise. If we welcomed them with something like a special intrest class they might get to talk with us and they may even get interested:eek: Wayne I can not afford to lose any more friends, I think you might fare better with a lawn tractor race or maby even a pedel car race:D

There are far less local shows than there were 20-30 years ago, I only go to six now. Internet has replaced flea markets. I haven't had an antique car on the road in years now, really don't miss it. Still have 3-4 projects to work on, if I finish them that is ok, if not I know who to leave them to. I did go to two local Concourse type shows this year and had the best time I've had in a long time at a car event.

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)

Guest quadfins

Wayne, no one can compete against you - You are FULL of bull!

See you tomorrow!

And concerning the lack of interest on the part of young folks - In my observation, it is due mainly to 2 factors. First, yes, restored classics ARE out of the price range of most younger folks. But even more, I think it is lack of exposure. If we don't get these cars out on the road, no one sees them. When we drag the cars to the next meet in a trailer, no one sees them. When we keep them pristine and dust free in the garage, no one sees them. How can you gain an appreciation for something that you are never exposed to?

Just today, I took BATILAC to work - my local High School. I took my students on a walking "field trip" out to see it. I do this every year. Anyone who would watch their reaction would know that teenagers can love and appreciate old cars - but they rarely get to see any. I have a long list of new heirs, who want to inherit BATILAC, and several who "volunteered" to drive it to the prom (I did let one borrow it for his prom, some years ago, too).

But getting back to the point of the thread, that is why I like shows with high spectator traffic - more potential converts, to be saved from the "Dark Side" of ricers and Bubbas Trucks.

Jim

Edited by quadfins (see edit history)

Guest quadfins

If I might cut in...

Wayne was full of it, but the Bull was not full of Wayne - at least that I saw. He (Wayne) apparently has more common sense (or maybe the bull did...). It did seem to me, though, that Wayne was edging awfully close to Miss America as she handed out the trophies yesterday.

I want to say that we had a wonderful time at the show. It was a delightful location, and had a great variety (and number) of entrants. It was well organized, ran smoothly, and had amenities that I like and look for. Miss America was just an added bonus.

The show field reflected the general trend that we have all been talking about - the 2 largest categories were the 1960s and the street rods/modifieds. But there was a good representation of pre-wars cars, notably the Model A's. I was glad to see them displayed prominently along the street front - good advertising for the show. The 1930 Cadillac V-16 was a real treat to see, as were the Packards and Mary's 1940 Fleetwood. So there certainly was something for everyone. I don't know how to encourage owners of pre-war/Brass Era to share their cars, other than letting them know how much their presence is appreciated. I, for one, will gladly volunteer to drive your ancient car to the field!

I never got bored, nor did I have much time to just sit and read my Hemmings. But that is a good thing!

It looked like a constant flow of cars into the spectator parking area, too, and I know that I spoke to a good many people who were not part of the show. Overall, it was exactly the type of show that I like to attend, and will continue to do so in the future, as long as the Master of Ceremonies continues to have his contract renewed!

Thanks, Northern Neck Region!

Jim

The Buick Nationals this year had a Friday night, after judging, drive to a small town in Iowa. 20 miles at the most with 2 routes, 1 route for fast cars and 1 for the more sedate cars. They closed the streets down for the club and served us BBQ pork, turkey and over 1 ton of sweet corn and homemade pies.

2 bands on stage to keep us entertained made for a night that everybody was talking about.

This was about the best part of a show / event that I have been to is a while.

Guest windjamer
:) Just got back from a local show. No trophys classes or even judging. There was about 200 cars mostly 60s and 70s some older even a T and a model A + a few mid 30s -40s really just a cruse-in. Show was rural,but at a restored late 40s early 50 gas station. There was even about 15-20 farm tractors:eek: This country boy would call it out in the boon-docks.:D Felt right at home.

I went to two local shows and one not so local (100 miles) and was disappointed in all of them. One show that I have been to almost every year for 10 years was about half the normal size and the DJ was playing music so loud, my friend and I had to practically yell at each other to have any conversation. I looked at the cars there in a couple of hours and left. The second local show was supposed to be 'huge" as that was what people who had been in the past told me and it was a major disappointment. I was too late to put my car in (10:30) so paid $5 to park. I wandered around for about an hour and left. The not so local show was at a car museum - it was hot and the 4th of July - which could be the reason for the low turnout. There were only about 50 cars there. No music, but an announcer that just wouldn't shut up. They tried some different things - games and such for the kids - but all in all, I won't go again.

Ten years ago, I was going to a show every month from May to October and that wasn't all of them. I picked and chose. Only 2 of those shows are still in existence. I really don't care, though, since Hershey trumps them all.

Couple other things - besides the low turnout, a lot of shows are being taken over by modifieds, trucks and ricers - although I don't like that term. I have no interest in any of these. Second, most shows now consist of 60's, 70's and 80's. 50's are getting scarce, 40's and pre-wars are practically non-existant.

Edited by John_Maine (see edit history)

Guest quadfins

John brings up a good point that I forgot to mention in my original post.

Whether it be Cruise-In, Car Show, or whatever, I get annoyed if the music is too loud. I like to be able to talk, not shout, to other people. I really pity the poor guys who end up parked next to the speakers. I would rather have NO muisic than LOUD music. I would leave a show, rather than subject myself to deafening noise.

I often play my own Frank Sinatra tape. If I can't hear my own music over the blasting band, it is points off for THAT show.

So, either put the band/DJ at a far location, or be sure the volume is turned down.

Jim

John brings up a good point that I forgot to mention in my original post.

Whether it be Cruise-In, Car Show, or whatever, I get annoyed if the music is too loud. I like to be able to talk, not shout, to other people. I really pity the poor guys who end up parked next to the speakers. I would rather have NO muisic than LOUD music. I would leave a show, rather than subject myself to deafening noise.

I often play my own Frank Sinatra tape. If I can't hear my own music over the blasting band, it is points off for THAT show.

So, either put the band/DJ at a far location, or be sure the volume is turned down.

Jim

This the the largest reason that our Region got away from having a show. We were the first to have a show in conjunction with what was The Charleston Sternwheeler show. Nice event all around. I ran the music and announcements and kept it at a nice level for all. We did ask folks that brought their own music to not play it loud and had no issues with anyone.

After a couple of years the local Corvette club asked if they could join us at the Capitol grounds, and we had plenty of room, so we let them in. We even invited their members with AACA type cars to cross register in their show and in ours. Those folks loved it. Two trophies in one day for some. :cool: They had a sound system like ours and kept it down and we got along great.

Then the local street rod/modified group asked if they could join us at the Capitol grounds for their show. Our show attendance was getting less so we let them in. Biggest mistake EVER. They had loud cars, people riding on the hoods of them through the show areas and as obnoxious a DJ as was possible. I asked them to turn the volume down he grinned and turned it up. :mad: Our folks couldn't hear anything including the announcements for door prizes or trophies.

Music should be a nice backdrop. The louder they play it, the louder people talk and then they crank the music up even louder. Not enjoyable for most.

We gave up. :(

Edited by Shop Rat (see edit history)

Thanks Jim for the compliments on our show. Yes, it was very successful, probably made a little over 2 grand with 120+ cars on the field. We had enough spectators to make working the gate with its $2.00 parking fee worthwhile. Amazingly, some folks even gave our club a tip on the parking fee, imagine that.

Yes, I missed the bull ride, way too busy to even talk to the gentleman operating it. We were a little short of workers and some of our older folks ended the day completely spend, including this younger one. Thankfully, it's only for once a year.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, we invited the Corvette Club. They were very helpful and were a big plus for our show. We may expand on that next year.

My main concern is the participation of our club members in future activities like an annual show. I'm not sure how I will approach it, but I'm considering asking members to "pledge" a certain activity that they would support in the year, 2011. I've never done this sort of thing before, but I feel that if you join a group, you should be expected to support it. I know, I'm old fashioned that way.

The great thing about regional activities is that the public seldom notices the problems that the host club encounters.

Wayne

..... My main concern is the participation of our club members in future activities like an annual show. I'm not sure how I will approach it, but I'm considering asking members to "pledge" a certain activity that they would support in the year, 2011. I've never done this sort of thing before, but I feel that if you join a group, you should be expected to support it. I know, I'm old fashioned that way. .....Wayne

When our Region was at it's height the folks that started the Region were younger and gung-ho. But as they aged they felt they had "paid their dues" working the car show and selling refreshments and they wanted younger people to help, but they didn't want the newer cars that came with them. So there weren't any younger folks to take over.

And like any group anywhere, there is the core group of people that will work until they can't stand on their feet for one second longer. And the ones that show up and sit in the shade, tell others what to do and how to do it, but don't lift a finger to help. :(

Windjammer asked: What would you do to make the perfect Car Show?

Several of you hit all around what I think makes a perfecdt car show. It takes many things and fun for the participants should be the main concern. (I'm a little tired of being the free circus acts to sell Condo's or New Cars.)

Steve_Mack_Ct said: "Waive fees for cars older than a certain year." (Want old cars, make it fun to attend) Is it really an antique car show if the oldest car is a 1970? I like to see cars older than I am.

StockSteve said: He liked "Car Shows that benefit a worthy charitable cause."

Peter Heizman said: "Activities that interest kids". I'll add, kids like a variety just like us Geezers. How about these?

a. A table game to identify the parts of a car, maybe win a cookie.

b. A Poker Walk, with cards drawn at locations around the Show field and marked on a paper to be turned in for a prize later in the day.

c. A car quiz that involves taking to participants to get the answers.

d. A license plate game to identify YOM plates.

1937hd45 said: "Concourse type shows" I'll add that if there are 9 black fendered Model A's in a row, spectators walk past with the idea tha "if they've seen one they've seen them all". Whygroup them together? Setup the show for the spectators, not the judges, they kjnow what's in their group.

Shop Rat said: At it's height the folks that started the Region were younger and gung-ho. But as they aged they felt they had "paid their dues" working the car show and selling refreshments and they wanted younger people to help, but they didn't want the newer cars that came with them. So there weren't any younger folks to take over." (She's right, lets get them involved)

Now for my suggestions:

1. Offer a discount for the "Display Only" entry, with a Dash Plaque. Many people don't want anybody telling them what they think is wrong with their car or another dust catching bowling trophy with a car on top.

2. Create a class for "Stock Modified Cars". One that appears restored but may have a non stock engine, paint, wheels etc. A stock appearing 1933 Buick with a 1985 Buick engine and A/C is still a 1933 Buick. This class could exclude chopped, channeled, hoodless "Hot Rods", Replica's and T-Buckets. There are a lot of "Resto Mods", and they are still antique cars. That group can do their own jugding if necessary, but include them and you'll get the new people Shop Rat is waiting for. Look around, a lot of us have those kind of cars too.

3. Get off the pavement. I love shows in parks and historical districts.

4. Take a picture of every car at the Show and get a 4 X 6 One Hour print to give to every participant before they leave.

5. Shorten the Show, 8 AM to 5 PM is to long.

6. Make it an old fashioned picnic, have participants bring lunch and picnic on the show site. Even give a prize for the fanicest picnic spread.

7. Encourage demonstrations. A running car is more interesting than a parked one. Change a tire, put the top up, wax the car, run the engine.

8. Have an area for folks who didn't read the fine print and come in a car that doensn't meet the aqdvertised criteria. Invite them to display in that area and enjoy the show. Throwing them out breeds bad future relations.

9. No Bull Ride, but a couple of cars that spectators could sit in for a picture is a good idea. (Didn't we all sit in the Batam in the AACA Museum?)

10. Instead of a Swap Meet, offer a posting board for FOR SALE, WANTED posts.

11. Gift Certificates to a local eatery or Dash Plaque Awards instead of Trophies.

12. A Teenager's Choice Award voted by real teenagers. I thjink we'd all enjoy the chance to educate inqusitive teens on the merits of our vehicles. It might also stir some interst in the hobby.

This is just a quick dozen things we'd like to see at Shows next season.

..... 4. Take a picture of every car at the Show and get a 4 X 6 One Hour print to give to every participant before they leave.

The local Model T club started doing this at their open show to raise money for their club. It was a huge hit. Folks stayed longer at the show to get that photo.

Bill was the photographer for several years after the person that orginially was doing it found it too hard to stand for that long.

Even a local police officer would stop by and drop off his 60's era Camaro and then come back with his cruiser and his black Lab drug sniffing dog to have their photo taken too. :D And he gave the photo to his commanding officer each year. Positive P.R. in the community.

One hint if you are going to do this, make sure a few days ahead that the deal is still on with whatever group is going to be developing the photos. The previous photographer did not do that one year and the local pharmacy photo section had changed hands and the new person running it "didn't get the memo" and they were not prepared to print that many photos. The club ended up giving the photo plaques out but had to mail the photos so there went some of their profit. :o Now they have a professional that brings his own paper and printer and the photos are done on the show grounds.

Guest ken bogren

I'd like to see beter handicap access, both for parking/drop-off and viewing the cars (better spacing).

I'd also like to hear better sound system management, it may not really be necessary to deafen the folks who get stuck parking with-n the first 500 feet of the DJ booth.

More space between the cars, did I say that already?

Enough room around the cars so the owners don't need to set up their lawn chairs with on set of chair legs in the trunk.

LOTS of spectator parking, CLOSE to the show field.

I go to the largest show in my area, 10,000+ show cars, 100,000+ spectators, on our state fairgrounds. Cool event, almost too big, but you can drive through the grounds if you have the patience. I move my car a couple times each day. Over 3 days I can see the whole show easily without wearing my self to a frazzle.

I have the attention span of a cranky two year old, so I like shows that have shorter time frames, more like 4 hours, like a lot of evening cruise-ins.

The first time I went to what I call an in-and-out show, where you could come anytime and leave anytime, I thought it was goofy. As time goes on I've come to really like the idea.

Here is something I don't understand..... Shows where there is apparently a allotted number of spots assigned to each class. That allotment seems to be rigid, so if there are 25 spots for class 100,001 and only 2 cars show up for that class they end up sitting alone two rows away from any other cars. Just seems odd to me, why not pull them in a little closer to the crowd?

Paul,

Excellent ideas. I would be eager to attend the show that YOU organize.

Jim

Actually all 12 of my suggestions were incorporated into the Heritage Village

Picnic in the Park 1987 through 2009. Held in the 22 acre Pinellas County, FL Historical Park with it's 28 historical buildings, it was the ideal location for an antique car show. Held on Easter Saturday, the show was for vehicles 1959 and older. We had prime spots for 150 vehicles among the buildings and squeezed in 160 vehicles and 7000 spectators.

The show was FREE, no registration, just come in period clothing of the vehicle you brought. Picnic on the ground, churn ice cream, manifold cook, relax and enjoy an old fashioned picnic in the historical setting. We had an Easter Bonnet contest, kids games, parts I.D, etc. Spectators donated money that we used to improve the Village. We acquired and maintain 3 antique trucks for the parks service staff to use daily. We bought a fire sprinkler system for the Store and Garage that we sponsored. We added A/C to the 1915 Store, a phone system and provide volunteer docents. We bought the park a video presentation system for their meeting room and donated money for other improvements in the Village. All done with donations from spectators to the most unusual car show any of us had ever been too. Our members enjoy doing maintenance and small repairs in the Village and in turn get to use their meeting room for our clubs monthly meetings.

After 23 year the County Risk Management Dept. said we weren't qualified to manage such an event and would have to hire event management to run the event. We tried to comply but costs would exceed receipts and eliminate our ability to donate to the Village for the public benefit. Show Canceled by

bureaucrats! Now the County has no Liability exposure and NO SHOW.

P.S. We've always provided a $2,000,000 Liability policy and named the county as an additional insured.

This year we didn't have the "Show", we just went to the lakefront park across the road for a "corporate picnic" (We are a non profit inc.) The club bought the food and we had a real nice time, but no "Show" and no public. Fun but not the same. Bureaucrats *#%^(^#*!

:)Alright,got a couple ideas,one thing sure we have to boost membership.

Dick,

I can't speak for your region, but since we did our National Meet in June, I've seen an increase in participation, enthusiasm is up, etc. I honestly feel that the meet put a spring in the step of many which our region really needed. I also feel that the Wayne Drumlins Region has seen the same.

As I had said during my speech in Canandaigua....

"The regions are the backbone to AACA, in order to make AACA successfull, we need to promote AACA in our own communities, and we need to promote our communities to AACA."

If we start in our own communities, it only increases the size of AACA National.

Guest windjamer

:)Paul you have some ex. ideas. I plan to print your post and present it to the members at our next meeting. Susan you are right on target. As is your club, most of the members in mine are also getting just a little long in tooth and we are getting tired we must bring in some new and younger blood. That is why I think a special intrest class may help. Pat, advertisement:eek: WE MUST!! I was quite active in our own 2007 Nat. show,I passed out flyers at every show I went to for at least a year in advance. I spoke with our local newspaper and even offered to bring a few cars to there office for a photo.op. I beged for exposure any place I thought I might get it and yet a week befor show time I cought he** from a local wanting to know why there was a meet in (My home town) and nobody told him:eek: Someone told me Quote ( we dont need spectators) EXCAUSE ME!! Where do you think the new blood is comeing from?

We also need to find ways to help our comunity. I have heard of a group called Angles in Irack. We all travel a little. The free samples hotels put in rooms for guest. I wonder how many small bars of soap shampoo or tooth past we could collect for our people in harms way? Just a thought. Now I will sit back and wate for some more good stuff like Pauls post.:D

I attend a show almost every weekend from April thru Oct, sometimes 2 per weekend. Fortunately the Chicago area has many car shows on any given day so I can try to avoid the ones that have things I don't like.

1. I do not care for shows that allow new Corvettes, Challengers, Mustangs, Chrysler 300's, PT Cruisers or anything else that just rolled off the dealer lot onto the showfield. There is nothing wrong with these cars, but they are not antiques, and do not belong at an antique car show. I can go to a dealership to see them. Bring them back in 25 years.

2. One show I went to had about 40 trophies for 300 cars. So basically every 7th or 8th car won. It took over 1 1/2 hours to award them all. They even had 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place for Cadillac Allante. 5 showed up. That meant 2 went home without a trophy. That is just ridiculous. Not only that, but I can handle not winning Best in Show or best in my class. But if there are only 5 cars and 3 trophies, it really makes you feel like your car is crap if you don't get one.

3. I don't like seeing 30 of each Mustang, Corvette, '57 Chevy, etc. I also don't like seeing tons of rods and customs. Nothing wrong with these. But with many shows to choose from, I am happy to avoid shows that showcase these.

4. Show some appreciation for people bringing their cars. Give a discount on food, picture of the car, or free admission if you bring a car. A local restaurant gives a free ice cream cone or 10% discount on food if you bring your car to their show. The one down the street charges $25.00 for you to bring your car, and you pay full price for the food. I don't need trophies, so my car is most definitely never going to the second place when I can go to the first one. After all there is no car show without the cars.

Some suggestions I would make.

1. Shade. I burn easily and can't stand a show where there is absolutely no place to get out of the sun. Especially when it is in the 90's.

2. Have adequate bathrooms. I hate having to wait half an hour for a port-a-potty, and then have people pounding on the door 2 seconds after I get in there.

3. Have places to sit. I can bring my own chairs, but don't feel like walking from one end of the show to the other just to sit down.

4. Shows that start at the crack of dawn. I have to get up early for work every day. I do not want to have to set my alarm to get up earlier on my day off than for work, so that everyone can leave at 1 pm, and then there is nothing else to do the rest of the day.

Some ideas I saw here that I don't like.

1. Have a For Sale board instead of swap meet. If you don't want to have a swap meet, fine. But I am not going to make a special trip 100 or more miles back to the area to pick up something that doesn't look like the description on the board.

2. Local gift certificates. That is ok if you are local. But I am not going to drive 200 miles back to someplace to use my $25 gift certificate if I didn't get to use it the day of the show.

3. Picnic only show. Having a place to grill or have a picnic is fine. But there should be food available for sale as well. I don't want to have to make a special trip to the store, and then spend extra time packing, unpacking, and packing it all back up again just to have something there in case I happen to get hungry.

Edited by LINC400 (see edit history)

Great comments here....

I just want to add that our local BCA show with just under 100 cars was held right in the middle of town in a park with public restrooms across the street from a new Hilton hotel for out-of-towners. Buicks came from hundreds of miles to participate & we had a short tour and dinner the night before to welcome those staying at the hotel.

The local farmer's market was next to the park and offered lots of food, drink, & shopping for everyone. The best part was that the general public came to see the cars and were offered ballots for people's choice. Just certificates were given to winners of each class except for one best of show trophy.

Edited by Mark Shaw (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Here's good low cost idea we could copy anyplace in the country.

I've been going to the Dupont Registry (Car Magazine) publishers building and warehouse the 3rd Saturday of the month all winter. Tom Dupont hosts a gathering called Cars & Coffee. 7 AM to 9 AM. No registration, no judging, no flea market, just cars and coffee and free magazines. There is a vendor for coffee and the building where many collector cars are stored is open. Tom Dupont has his 3 examples of the 1929 Dupont Automobile on display and many others of special interest.

The parking lot starts filling up before 7 AM and there can be anything there and each month it different. I've taken 4 different car this winter. Example: In my row was a 1935 Buick, a 1934 Ford, a TVR, a 1912 Rouch & Lang electric, a 59 Mercedes Benz Gull Wing replica, a 2011 Mercedes Benz Gull Wing, a32 Ford Roadster (Highboy), a 2009 Auto Union B8, a Ferrari, a 65 Corvette, a 1971 Triumph Fastback, a new Porsche, etc. etc. By 9 AM the lot is empty!

These are all car guys and gals enjoying the early morning gathering before getting to other Saturday activities. Some are for sale, but most are just car folks like us looking for a reasonable reason to get the cars out and drive them. Everybody can look at what they like and skip the rest.

Not an expensive or labor intensive show, but enjoyed by all who came.

Sounds like a great time, Paul. I wish we could get car people in our area to do that. California started this years ago, because they can do it year round.

Maybe I should try that in my town and start something like that, driving a different car each weekend.

Thanks for the reminder.

Wayne

Our local Chapter version of Cars and Coffee involves going to the shop of one of our members. He is an electrical contractor so his shop is large enough to set up tables and chairs, as well as large enough to hold serveral cars. His shop also has a kitchen. His family cooks the breakfast. Donations cover the cost of breakfast (eggs, grits, sausage, biscuits, etc...) We have different guys present a short demonstration of some facet of car restoration. It is a great Saturday morning event. We have done this a few times and it is always a hit.