Post some pics of your Rivieras!!!!!!!!!!

bb1970

Ha - it almost looked to me like a small LCD screen.  I thought you were hiding a fancy Nav or sound system in the glove compartment!  ;)

Ha!  I do have a big Garmin Drive61 that I put on the windscreen when I go somewhere unfamiliar.  I need to find someone that can put some modern functionality into the AM/FM radio.  It has the fader 2 speakers, but is pretty obsolete and crappy sounding.

• 2 weeks later...

Moving Day!

After trashing, donating, selling my worldly possessions including Parts for my 2 projects, the Riviera is fully loaded with what's left of Riviera parts that didn't find a home. Thankfully, sheetmetal body parts - GONE.

Will be dragging the rear axle all the way to its designated acreage today - Magic Carpet Ride for sure!

PXL_20240610_190123014.jpg

PXL_20240610_190136519.jpg

• Like 6

I had a set of rechromed 853 Rally wheels put on the AZ today. The shine factor of the car just went up 100%. (I think so, at least). 

The photos below provide a view of the rechromed wheels on the car. 

20240611_092817-2048.jpg.a1a3bf4acdb8975a6807a91f2da6c306.jpg20240611_092906-2048.jpg.ffba5a8941590aa324a9975c6b7314c1.jpg

20240611_092917-2048.jpg

Edited by NC1968Riviera (see edit history)
  • Like 6

NC- Linear run out I just learned is about how round the wheel is shaped. Then I noticed a gloss meter measures how reflective a surface is. We’ve come a long way since the wheel was invented.

Your wheels look great. Did you apply the black coating to the webs?

Turbinator

9 hours ago, XframeFX said:

Moving Day!

After trashing, donating, selling my worldly possessions including Parts for my 2 projects, the Riviera is fully loaded with what's left of Riviera parts that didn't find a home. Thankfully, sheetmetal body parts - GONE.

Will be dragging the rear axle all the way to its designated acreage today - Magic Carpet Ride for sure!

PXL_20240610_190123014.jpg

PXL_20240610_190136519.jpg

👍 the pod looks unusually complimentary…

Power vent project completed. I love the clean look of the door panel without the crank. Special thanks to Steve Lorenzen for the parts. 
Less  than thrilled with the new interior handles from Cars. The splines aren’t clocked quite right and they sit too high or too low. I’ll probably have the originals rechromed. Advanced plating in Tennessee handled the switch plates. 

IMG_4285.jpeg

IMG_4292.jpeg

Edited by 71GS (see edit history)
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, 71GS said:

The splines aren’t clocked quite right and they sit too high or too low. 

I'd guess the reason for the handle being too high or too low is the new splines

were made with metric measured spacing. I had a similar problem with a different application. 

19 minutes ago, Turbinator said:

I'd guess the reason for the handle being too high or too low is the new splines

were made with metric measured spacing. I had a similar problem with a different application. 

Yeah. Disappointing, I thought it would be an easy way to freshen those up while I was in there. 

1 hour ago, Turbinator said:

NC- Linear run out I just learned is about how round the wheel is shaped. Then I noticed a gloss meter measures how reflective a surface is. We’ve come a long way since the wheel was invented.

Your wheels look great. Did you apply the black coating to the webs?

Turbinator

I bought the wheels with the webbings already repainted. I believe they were actually powder coated but I am not entirely sure about that. 

I got these from Randall Crain, who got them from a family of a friend of his. I don't know where they were replated. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 71GS said:

Yeah. Disappointing, I thought it would be an easy way to freshen those up while I was in there. 

It made sense. Only first idea. If you are familiar with Helicoil i was wondering if the splines could be refitted with helicoil inserts as well the handle. First thoughts,  I could be ALL WRONG. Refit  of any type may be more trouble than just getting the old handles rechrome. 
Turbinator

2 minutes ago, Deanoko said:

Hopefully you replaced the drive gears with the newer bronze ones.  

Oh definitely. Steve went through everything and installed new bronze gears. IMG_2766.jpeg.394f51cf88fc60e02f1e37dd9953522a.jpeg

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Riviera63 said:

As always, top notch work by Steve.

Bill

Absolutely, he’s a great resource and a super guy. It was like installing new factory parts 👍

• Like 1

On 6/11/2024 at 4:24 AM, Dundee said:

👍 the pod looks unusually complimentary…

We call it our "Thule Box" and is a storage locker for everything Riviera.

I plan to move "La Riviera" off that acreage to our new City 1000 KMs away before the snow flies. Don't want to take its contents on the trip. So, still need to work on distributing parts to new homes. Further, I discovered a driver's side door skin that will probably go with my other steel items to the metal recyclers :(

Also, with all that weight, no thumping resonance in the passenger compartment while waiting at a Red Light in DRIVE. Structural dynamics has changed.

On 6/11/2024 at 4:24 AM, 71GS said:

Advanced plating in Tennessee handled the switch plates

Chrome is not photogenic. But wouldn't mind a close-up of the Master and passenger panels.

So, re-chroming was a success? Good testimonial for others who are considering having it done. Many nay-sayers up to now.

On 5/28/2024 at 9:45 AM, MY64RIVIERA said:

255/45/18's in the rear and 245/45/18's up front. Got the tires from Diamond Back Tires and they are a Sumitomo HTR Z5. Rims are your run of the mill American Racing Torq Thurst II's with a 4.5in back spacing.

Any chance you can send me a private message - my account is new so I am not able to, but I would love to pick your brain about your rim and tire set up!

9 hours ago, XframeFX said:

Chrome is not photogenic. But wouldn't mind a close-up of the Master and passenger panels.

So, re-chroming was a success? Good testimonial for others who are considering having it done. Many nay-sayers up to now.

I’m happy with them. I sent the parts and after he received them, he called and we talked about it. He told me upfront the light pitting in the grooves would not be 100% perfect. As always the better the part is to begin with the better the result will be. He recommended painting in the grooves, which I did. I used the same “cast iron” gray color as I did on my clamshells and rocker panels and then wiped off the ribbed area clean. It helped hide any of the remaining small pits and you really can’t even tell it’s painted. 

IMG_4376.jpeg

IMG_4292.jpeg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, 71GS said:

I’m happy with them. I sent the parts and after he received them, he called and we talked about it. He told me upfront the light pitting in the grooves would not be 100% perfect. As always the better the part is to begin with the better the result will be. He recommended painting in the grooves, which I did. I used the same “cast iron” gray color as I did on my clamshells and rocker panels and then wiped off the ribbed area clean. It helped hide any of the remaining small pits and you really can’t even tell it’s painted. 

IMG_4376.jpeg

IMG_4292.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...