Announcers at Barrett Jackson-drive me crazy

tbirdman

I just have to roll my eyes as one of the Speed TVs announcers says after the other announcer said that the car on the auction block (55 chevy) had a disc brake upgrade for a 5 Chevy- "I wouldn't buy a car I couldn't take out and drive". What he meant to say, is I'm a wuss and any old car I buy has to drive and handle like a modern car. If he could he'd would drop a Chevey 350 in every car 50 years and older, he would.

Part of the beauty of old cars and driving as the people did back when that car was new.

I must agree with you. I drive my 1931 Dodge to feel what the original owners felt while driving it. If I want to feel safer or more reliable, I will buy a new car and not hack and whack my engine compartment.

Guest 25erduplex

I love how they get every Camaro , Mustang and Corvette shown and go to a commercial when the scarce cars show up(last time Kaiser Darrin).

Did anybody see last night when the 1948 Lincoln Convertible came up? The sign on the screen said "1948 Lincoln Continental" and both of the doofus announcers kept calling it a Lincoln Continental.

It was clearly a regular Lincoln convertible and not a Continental. As such, it is probably more rare than a Continental.

Once you get these people out of tri-five chevies and the like, they are lost.

Guest mystarcollectorcar.com

It looks like prices have retreated at the B-J auctions-case in point, 66 GTO convertible 33 K 69 GTO 22K.

Cars like that were pulling 44K plus 3 years ago

Guest DeSoto Frank

This is one of the reasons I refuse to watch B-J.

It's garbage.

The only commentator that knows what he's talking about is Steve Magnante, and they don't give him nearly enough air-time.

B-J is fodder for the same ilk that watch "The Real Housewives of (fill-in-the-blank)..."

Sorry for the vent; the time I would spend watching B-J could be better spent working on my antiques or organizing my basement and garage .

Back in the early 1950's, Fred Allen, a well-known entertainer (with his own TV show), remarked: " Television is called a "medium" because nothing on it is "rare" or "well-done". "

Still true, 60 years later.

Guest Dr. Strangelove

The BJ Auctions and the DVR are just made for each other. Here is why: One can record these love fests in entirety, then when you have the time, you can become the shows producer, director and editor by becoming brutal, precise & deadly with the Fast Forward button thus getting past the 'fantasy bids', endless shilling of the feature vehicles, LL Cool Jay, or whatever his name is behind the wraparound sunglasses clad in Tony Soprano shirts, the numbing comercials, flame-fendered 350, blinged-out crate motor mutilations and whatever else makes you go 'Dirty Harry'. Shoot, fire, I can usually take a 6 hour pre-recorded segment and see what I want to see - eliminating the drivel in about an hours time.

Edited by Dr. Strangelove (see edit history)

FAST FORWARD ---

I use Tivo to record the Barrett-Jackson, and then FAST-FORWARD thru all of the B-J B-S. Yes, I agree that the auctions serve a purpose (not necessarily mine), and allow the guys with really deep pockets to keep swapping cars back and forth, raising the purported values with each other.

This Palm Beach venue seems to be producing far lower values, at least through Friday.

When my FAST-FORWARD button gets me to a really interesting VINTAGE RESTORED OR ORIGINAL, it seems that the rarely give enough time or accurate information, but at least the hobby is getting some positive exposure.

Keep a positive mental attitude.

Guest DagoRed

Back in the early 1950's, Fred Allen, a well-known entertainer (with his own TV show), remarked: " Television is called a "medium" because nothing on it is "rare" or "well-done". "

And lets not forget: 'Television, the vast wasteland' in a May 9th, 1961 speech delivered by Newton Minow, FCC Chairman

Edited by DagoRed (see edit history)

I love how they get every Camaro , Mustang and Corvette shown and go to a commercial when the scarce cars show up(last time Kaiser Darrin).

I like it whenthey say, here's another rare Corvette:) And I hate the term tribute car. At least clone was appropiate.

Guest Paul Christ
...the car on the auction block (55 chevy) had a disc brake upgrade ...Part of the beauty of old cars is driving as the people did back when that car was new.

Some time ago, I agonized over the brakes on my 55 Chevy. The stock brakes use a single master cylinder to control the front and rear shoes. I was concerned that a hydraulic failure would lead to a complete loss of braking. For safety reasons, I considered changing over to a dual master cylinder. I wasn't completely comfortable with this idea, as I wanted to keep the car as original as possible. Originality eventually won out as I realized that people have been driving this car for millions of miles without losing their brakes. And, that handle under the dash isn't for a parking brake, it's an emergency brake!

First of all, I disagree with this statement. It wasn't true in the 1950s when live dramas were giving us Brando, Redford, McQueen, et al, often times in scripts worthy of their talent (not to mention the Your Show of Shows crew). It wasn't true in the 1960s when Rod Serling was giving us the best social commentary extant, every week! It wasn't true in the 1970s when Norman Lear often did the same (not to mention the alumni of the Your Show of Shows crew). It wasn't true in the 1980s or 1990s when David Lynch, Steven Bochco, Aaron Sorkin, et al turned TV drama into meaningful drama and educational television expanded into commercial areas on cable. And it isn't true today when all of the above have been built on and expanded in meaningful ways on dozens of channels. Today, short of budgetary limitations that more often distract from artistic quality than enhance it, TV (at it's best) is the equal of movies and even literature.

That said it is still a business at it's core, and it has to be viewed selectively for that reason.

The announcers for any show are chosen based on audience surveys, marketing studies, and ratings analyses that boggle the mind. You damn sure bet nobody ever said "Boogitiy, boogitiy, boogity boys! Let's go racing" twice without are clear idea of what people's reaction to that was. If it doesn't sell ad space by getting people to tune in, it doesn't happen on commercial TV.

Being professionally irritating and/or uninformed to a level consistent with the intended viewer is a way of life on many whole TV networks, not just for the Barret Jackson show.:(

Edited by Dave@Moon (see edit history)

It's garbage.

The only commentator that knows what he's talking about is Steve Magnante, and they don't give him nearly enough air-time.

B-J is fodder for the same ilk that watch "The Real Housewives of (fill-in-the-blank)..."

Sorry for the vent; the time I would spend watching B-J could be better spent working on my antiques or organizing my basement and garage .

I have to respectfully disagree Frank-and that's odd because we routinely take swipes at B-J on our site.In fact, we call ourselves the anti-Barrett-Jackson site but...

I'm a big picture guy and even though I hate the philosophy behind B-J (the commodity factor where classics are treated like pork futures by drunk guys in loud shirts) we need this exposure.

For example, when two 300 G converts went for 250 K a few years ago at B-J I was thrilled because I'm a fin guy.Suddenly my insurance appraisal for my 59 Plymouth went way past what I had in it and new parts like floor pans,gas tanks,rockers and fenders became available because the demand soared.

I hate the show biz and the slickness of B-J but that's a typical auction.If this TV time adds new investment to the hobby then it,as a business is better-particularly in these economic times.

It's easy to dismiss B-J for its obvious faults.I interview hundreds of real car guys a year and they don't like B-J for the same reasons-they, like you, are REAL car guys.

But B-J can draw viewers can draw new blood into the hobby and I welcome that scenario.

Guest billybird

If you listen, I have also caught alot of incorrect statements about vehicles. I've heard them call something a "factory option" when I know it was not; and thats just cars I'm familiar with. I do however watch BJ......some. I enjoy seeing what goes across the block.

It's garbage.

Well, I'm a Pontiac-Olds-VW fan-collector, and sometimes my wife thinks I want to kick the TV down the street ( while watching B/J ) when every time a Pontiac LeMans, Tempest, GTO, Olds Cutlass, 442, Buick Skylark of the 64-66 era goes over the block with a automatic trans and that Mike guy calls the Super Turbine 300 trans a power glide!! Or a few back when a 59 Bonneville wagen with a Sunset Glow tri color interior plus the "lurex" threads in the carpet went over the block-they said it was a custom interior! truth be known the interior was totally bone stock, they did say the car was a beautiful restoration even though the car had a aftermarket A/C! I especially like Steve's comment on a 57 Fuel injected Bonneville saying Pontiac chose to cover the aluminum intake manifold unlike Chevy's FI unit. The 57 Pontiac FI manifold was stamped steel and only the 58's were aluminum.

I also like the 59 VW convertible that was supposed to be restored, but instead of a 36hp engine and 6Volt system had been replaced with a third generation engine case (1300-1600 type) and 12 Volts. Oh yes that was Mike again on that one.

Here is the one that really gets me. There was a show on speed that Steve is doing a so called restoration on a 61-3 bullet T bird and making alot of mistakes (even I know not being a Ford guy) then this guy goes on B/J and critiques someone elses Bird which is ten times better than the one he worked on. Thing is, if you don't know what your talking about keep your mouth shut because you'll just make it worse. Real car people know the difference.

Don

Guest Dee Jay

The hobby needs not only "new blood" but young blood if the hobby is to perpetuate. Most young blood cannot afford the inflated prices brought about by these side shows. They have house payments and kids to raise.

Funny thing I noticed a couple years back.My wife and I were attending The Goodguys at Scottsdale being held at the grounds adjacent to the building where the auction is held. We walked over to the auction building (which was closed) and noticed a sign on the door that said'these proceedings are televised,if you dont want to be recognized do not enter'. My wife and I got a laugh out of that but wondered who would not want thier face shown?

Edited by RiKi5156B (see edit history)

Funny thing I noticed a couple years back.My wife and I were attending The Goodguys at Scottsdale being held at the grounds adjacent to the building where the auction is held. We walked over to the auction building (which was closed) and noticed a sign on the door that said'these proceedings are televised,if you dont want to be recognized do not enter'. My wife and I got a laugh out of that but wondered who would not want thier face shown?

Easy, The guy that left his wife at home and was there with his girlfriend.

D.

The one term I just cannot stand is "resto-mod". To me, that's like being "half-pregnant".

Either you is or you ain't...

There are the proverbial pluses and minuses to B-J. To be honest, I didn't know the Palm Beach one was going on until I saw this thread (thought it was next week). As such, as with their other shows, I missed the best days during the week where there was SOME chance of seeing "regular" original-feature cars instead of the showbiz-Saturday offerings, where all you're gonna see is a typical Shelby-Hemi-Tri-Five-2 seater 'Bird-'vette-'vette-'vette- muscle car (not that you won't see much of the same from Tuesday through Friday). Even the Oldsmobiles I love are limited to 442-and-nothing-else.

I have to laugh when I see '57 Chevy Nomads with 283s that are fuel-injected. How many were really ordered that way? And, at the risk of offending some, unless it's a '56 T-Bird, what is the deal with every other '50s car having a Continental Kit? They didn't leave the showroom with one, and to me it breaks up the great view of a nice rear end. You're blocking the view! Just can't stand it.

Agree with the Steve Magnante comment--he's the only one who seems to do his homework or just plain knows his stuff.

First time I watched B-J was several years ago and was taken in by the $3M bidding on the 1954 Olds F-88 concept car. Yes, those one-offs are still exciting to watch.

But, I'd rather watch a regular auction with "regular" cars, not just every damn one of them being a freakin' same-old same-old that it seems 90% of the cars that are shown. Wouldn't it be nice to see another auction house's event for a change?

Recorded about six hours of it on Saturday; went through it in about 25 minutes on my DVD.

Edited by Peter J.Heizmann (see edit history)

The occasional gaff or wrong call by the announcers on the large number of cars coming across the block is OK with me as their heart is in the right place plus they have to deal with all that is around them. Mike Joy and Steve M. are pleasing to listen to as well. For the rest - there is the gift of the FF button on the DVR remote!

Well, I'm a Pontiac-Olds-VW fan-collector, and sometimes my wife thinks I want to kick the TV down the street ( while watching B/J )

Hey Don, my wife also cannot understand why I watch a show that seems to make me angry or depressed every time. She (correctly?) thinks I do it just to irritate myself.

Actually I watch it to see what is being said so I can be prepared to discuss if I am asked by another viewer. Here in the midwest where interest in accurate old cars is flagging I determined years ago that Barrett Jackson has become the default information source for the amateur hobbyist (it is, after all, the "WORLDS GREATEST COLLECTOR CAR EVENT"). So when someone at work asks if I saw a Lincoln Zephyr sell for $432,000 or something I might know what happened. BUT I also watch it on DVR tape delay to fast forward through the drivel, and I would not be able to stand it any other way.

To their credit the announcers sometimes surprise me with an obscure kernel of truth. But they often make gaffes or more often breathless pronouncements of rarity, especially in musclecars ("the ONLY 1970 Chevelle SS painted purple with no stripes and a black bench seat and no radio but with white vinyl top...."). I guess with the time they have to fill it is asking too much to expect any more. I only hope my tape delay does not break down or I won't be able to take it. Todd

Hey Don, my wife also cannot understand why I watch a show that seems to make me angry or depressed every time. She (correctly?) thinks I do it just to irritate myself.

Actually I watch it to see what is being said so I can be prepared to discuss if I am asked by another viewer. Here in the midwest where interest in accurate old cars is flagging I determined years ago that Barrett Jackson has become the default information source for the amateur hobbyist (it is, after all, the "WORLDS GREATEST COLLECTOR CAR EVENT"). So when someone at work asks if I saw a Lincoln Zephyr sell for $432,000 or something I might know what happened. BUT I also watch it on DVR tape delay to fast forward through the drivel, and I would not be able to stand it any other way.

To their credit the announcers sometimes surprise me with an obscure kernel of truth. But they often make gaffes or more often breathless pronouncements of rarity, especially in musclecars ("the ONLY 1970 Chevelle SS painted purple with no stripes and a black bench seat and no radio but with white vinyl top...."). I guess with the time they have to fill it is asking too much to expect any more. I only hope my tape delay does not break down or I won't be able to take it. Todd

Todd, wouldn't it be something if the four of us were together watching B/J. Our wives taking bets on who's going to go off on the commentator first.

Was wondering if anyone ever saw the show with B/J guys talking to owners about their cars original condition or their restoration with a eye to value. One of these shows showed two cars side by side. One a 63 Plymouth 330 and the other a 60 Pontiac Catalina. The Catalina was presented by it's owner as a 389" Tri Power engine. Then the B/J expert goes to work looking at the engine block and says the engine is incorrect as it's a 389 2bbl 283 hp engine. OK fair enough, but then he goes on to say the value has now gone down because of the modification and that part is ok with me. Then he turns to the Plymouth which has American Racing wheels, a non original 426 wedge, battery in the trunk super stock look alike and says now this car will fetch more money and how nicely it's done. When seconds before they were hammering the Pontiac because it wasn't original. BTW the owner of the Pontiac said he hadn't owned the car very long, but believed the car was original. Gee that's nice to have your car on TV while the B/J people tell everyone you got screwed. BTW it would be much easier to return the Pontiac to original than the 330 Plymouth.

D.

The true hobbyist knows what BJ represents in regards to prices, vehicle knowledge, tribute / resto-rod verses original, etc. Unfortunately no matter how much we complain about BJ, many outside the hobby (and a few barely in the hobby) will always judge the state of the hobby from BJ, plus a few other auctions, including the misinformed expert announcers. These are the same viewers / hobbyist that love the "chop, cut, rebuild type shows.

Ain't it amazing. So many despise it, but it seems so many are watching. I suspect it's like the old saying, "there is no such thing as bad PR". If it gets people excited about old cars- just accept it for what it's worth. This hobby is a huge tent.

I only got "excited" when I hit the last hagerty bid car, a strange ex-nascar car with a '70 Chevelle suit and a 502 BB chevy. I guessed 48K, and by golly it went for 48k! Unfortunately, at least 20 other viewers bid the same amount before I did. Might be some measure of the audience.

I am sure I'll hear folks debating it at Charlotte thursday.

Guest DeSoto Frank
Ain't it amazing. So many despise it, but it seems so many are watching. I suspect it's like the old saying, "there is no such thing as bad PR". If it gets people excited about old cars- just accept it for what it's worth. This hobby is a huge tent.

I only got "excited" when I hit the last hagerty bid car, a strange ex-nascar car with a '70 Chevelle suit and a 502 BB chevy. I guessed 48K, and by golly it went for 48k! Unfortunately, at least 20 other viewers bid the same amount before I did. Might be some measure of the audience.

I am sure I'll hear folks debating it at Charlotte thursday.

I 'm not watching... been there, done that, moved-on.

Maybe I'm a snob... frankly, I find even Dennis Gage annoying.... I'd much rather listen to Leno talk about cars...

I'm not a sports guy, so I have to ask: are sportscasters just as irritating and vapid as some of us find the faux gearheads at B-J ?

I'm not a sports guy, so I have to ask: are sportscasters just as irritating and vapid as some of us find the faux gearheads at B-J ?

Very much so...

There are very few who I stop to listen to. The thing about the sports media and the reporters is all the interviews between themselves :rolleyes: As if they are the news and not the athletes they are talking about.

The 24 hr news cycle is the true bane of society.

Maybe I'm a snob... frankly, I find even Dennis Gage annoying.... I'd much rather listen to Leno talk about cars...

Hey Frank, I hate to say that I am beginning to wonder about Dennis Gage too. He is all breathless about street rods and rat rods now. But I do like his visits to Lenos place. Todd

Guest DagoRed

Jim Nantz and his celebrity almost equals the pain of a Barbara Walters interview. This sports bobble-head cannot shut his pie-hole when the sport should speak for itself, then he goes into high gear when shilling the soon to cancelled 'must see' prime time shows on CBS. 'America's most watched network' warbles Jim....

Hey Frank, I hate to say that I am beginning to wonder about Dennis Gage too. He is all breathless about street rods and rat rods now. But I do like his visits to Lenos place. Todd

Todd, when I saw the build up of that 67 Toronado turned into a 66 Toro-vette that really got me going. Especially the unveiling of it to GM big wigs. Everything that made that car so special when it was new and gave it Motor Trends car of the year was gone and no one said anything. Also his beautiful 55 Buick with a big block Chevy, he could of at least put a 455 Buick in it to make it ALL Buick.

Don

Yeah, you are right, I know... despite my always speaking out on authenticity I sort of looked the other way on those because they were so well done and Leno is such a good car guy. Visually they looked almost original. You are probably surprised I would forgive such a thing but in his case it did not bother me much for some reason. I guess I used up all my outrage on Barrett-Jackson and POCI, huh? Todd C

"My Classic Car" is a commercial with just about enuf old cars to interest you wrapped in a thinly disguised commercial. Actual content that is not a commercial about something in minimal. Some good stuff, but to many commercials, did I say that there were to many commercials? See how annoying that is? :)

Now without commercials...

"My Classic Car" is about old cars to interest you in some good stuff to see. :)

Now I do like "Car Crazy" and they don't have commercials for Meguires during it, but spend a lot of time presenting good content. Shows some good thinking there. Sponsoorship is more than enuf. Barry really does seem like a genuinely good man.

"My Classic Car" is a commercial with just about enuf old cars to interest you wrapped in a thinly disguised commercial.

Now I do like "Car Crazy" and they don't have commercials for Meguires during it, but spend a lot of time presenting good content. Barry really does seem like a genuinely good man.

Hi Amphicar, just as I only watch Barrett Jackson when I can fast forward I treat My Classic Car the same way--and I can watch an episode in 10-15 minutes. As such I do not mind the inclusion of the commercial guest, I suppose I know what I am in for and can watch according to my interest.

I stopped watching Car Crazy a while back as it has too much lowrider and street rod activity for me, but I also think Barry seems like a good guy (and obviously much more open minded than I am). I have an episode taped right now to give them another try.

Hi Amphicar, just as I only watch Barrett Jackson when I can fast forward I treat My Classic Car the same way--and I can watch an episode in 10-15 minutes. As such I do not mind the inclusion of the commercial guest, I suppose I know what I am in for and can watch according to my interest.

I stopped watching Car Crazy a while back as it has too much lowrider and street rod activity for me, but I also think Barry seems like a good guy (and obviously much more open minded than I am). I have an episode taped right now to give them another try.

Wow Todd, that bit you said about Car Crazy is how I'm feeling about POCI and Vintage Volkswagen Club of America these last few years. What ever happended to assist in restoration, preservation, history or from the other club, vintage or near vintage vehicles. What do customs or low riders have to do with their mission statements??.......Nothing. BTY near vintage to me means a guy bought a car with a non matching #'s engine, but it is of the same year/size hp as the original. Not a full blown custom car!

I think they either abide by the mission or change the mission statement because obviously they haven't looked in the dictionary to what those words mean.

Don

Hi Don, you and I are certainly together on that, and unfortunately these TV shows prove every week that more people see that cutting and modifying to prove your "creativity" is what people now think is really fun. Juvenile and destructive in my opinion.

Restoration and preservation, those are the buzzwords and why AACA is now a refuge for me. I agree with your point about matching numbers and such extremes, my own car is not of matching numbers (replacement block) but that is a whole different deal than modifying everything. BTW, see my car at my new post on the "Projects" thread.

Judging from the magazine and website there is little hope to reverse this trend in POCI and that distresses me as you know. Hope you are well otherwise, Todd C

"My Classic Car" is a commercial with just about enuf old cars to interest you wrapped in a thinly disguised commercial. Actual content that is not a commercial about something in minimal. Some good stuff, but to many commercials, did I say that there were to many commercials? See how annoying that is? :)

Now without commercials...

"My Classic Car" is about old cars to interest you in some good stuff to see. :)

Now I do like "Car Crazy" and they don't have commercials for Meguires during it, but spend a lot of time presenting good content. Shows some good thinking there. Sponsoorship is more than enuf. Barry really does seem like a genuinely good man.

I don't think so...Meguiar is one of the slickest guys on TV.He's a world class name dropper and he must have a clause in his contract that pays him by the number of times he uses the word "passion".

I can't get through his show-he's just that bad.

With about 120 or more channels to watch, I still believe that 80% of the time the best thing on television is the off knob, and as for auctions, I positively hate them, regardless of what they're selling. If I want to see cars (and I do) I'll travel a few hundred miles to a nice show or museum where I can talk to knowledgeable people and wander around taking photographs of what I think are nice cars and not have to listen to the opinion of some undereducated TV analyst. While I'm taking pictures I'm also taking notes. If you have a prewar car on display and it is only identified by the year and make I'm probably going to ask you what the model number or series name is. I firmly believe that windshield placards should include the model number or series name of the car. Then when I get home and archive the photos I'll know exactly what I have pictures of. I will add the best way to learn about cars is to go to a show featuring a specific make of car. In other words to learn some Cadillac details go to a Cadillac show; to learn Ford details go to a Ford show. People who concentrate on one specific make of car seem to have more knowledge of that particular make of automobile. Also people who restored their cars seem more knowledgeable than those who buy cars that someone else restored. Of course, everything I've said here has exceptions.