Roger's handcrafted 1:12 scale models

You may wonder what this construction on the frame does mean…Oh, by the way, the engine is on the frame; the fuel line is connected to the fuel pump and both hoses from the steering box are connected to the steering pump. I will shortly do nice (I hope) pictures from that assembly.

Back to that strange thing. It’s never late to do the last parts, sometimes it would be more wire to do them sooner when the parts are not yet painted. Well, sometimes my planning is not the best, this is the latest example: the complex rod which connects the gas pedal to the car relay was not yet done. It is attached to the body but if I’m putting the body on the frame, I will have no chance to do something. Therefore, I did that jig with the hope that the critical dimensions are reflecting the body. I will notice it when the body is coming definitively on the frame.

The various sub-assemblies coming to the firewall are installed. I have to do it now because, once the body is on the frame, the engine will prevent the use of a tool for the various screws. It will make the assembly to the frame rather difficult; I see no other method.

981 jig.JPG

982 jig.JPG

983 jig.JPG

984 with accessories.JPG

• Like 7

Even after all this time and becoming desensitized, seeing it together like that it is just as overwhelming as the day I saw him make that first tire.   Which reminds me... those tires are nearly 8 years old so I think Roger should be mindful when cruising at high speeds. :)

Edited by Luv2Wrench (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Roger,

Great, great work, Roger.  If one did not see the beginning of this saga, they would not have a clue as to how this Continental came to be.

As all have attested,  this stage of the model is inspiring to see all of those components that we saw you make from the beginning, coming together,  is like the puzzle.  You start with the border, advancing to assembling the different sections of the picture and before you know it, the last piece of the puzzle is put in place.

To think that the linkage will be attached to the body is mind boggling.  Just to make this model with all the components like the 1:1  car and then to ATTACH them where one cannot even get a tool between the firewall and the engine is beyond amazement.  We would like a video of you doing the attachment, (maybe not the sound with all the cursing going on :-)   )  seeing how you accomplish that task.  How the small rods and cable linkages attach is a wonder.   Take plenty of pictures at this stage.  Each will tell a story of a thousand words.  Baffling ! !  

That day is coming when the car will be complete.  From here on in, I will be watching raptly for every post, seeing what has been assembled next.

Randy 

Thanks Randy!

Forget the video: during difficult tasks, I want to be alone. As mother nature did not gave me 3 or 4 hands, I don't see how I could do that. With a support for the camera? I'm afraid that it will disturb more than help and you may only see hands and fingers.

• Like 2

Before I’m going too deep with the windows wiring, I wanted to test it as I was not too confident in my design. To my relief, all is functioning as expected with one minor issue: the vent windows are not opening like I wanted by pulling the buttons on the driver door. On the passenger door, the action of the button is correct. I will have to switch 2 wires at the driver’s door.

The wires in the trunk are now in place; the wire for the tail lamps is already in the passenger compartment, ready to be connected at the switch. The main positive wire is already connected at the rear window motors, from there, another positive wire will be added for the front of the car.

985 Testing the windows.JPG

• Like 5

What Roger?

No video crew at your front door to do a video of you sweating and contorting with the mating of the body to the chassis?  What fun is that?   JUST KIDDING.

How you are keeping all of the assembly components in order and working as you do the assembly is, as always, boggling !

We all hope that all goes well with the assembly of the electrical.  I hope that "Murphy's Law" is not present as you do this very intricate, complicated task.  

What size batteries are you going to use for operation of the electrical?  Two "D" batteries or  ?  I am guessing that the box holding the batteries will be finished as a large battery.

I could use you here in wiring my engine test stand as the Pontiac wiring schematic is for an engine IN the car.  It isn't that complicated but........nothing like an engineer to sort out the particulars.  For example, I am using an ammeter vs. the "gen light" that is in my instrument panel.  I am assuming that I have to wire it into the generator outlet lead to pick up what the generator is producing?  Being DC, it is not that complicated and I will figure it out.  Electrical is not my strong suit.  But the early automotive electrical is much easier than what is presented today in these modern marvels.

I also lucked out.  One of our Pontiac club members came across my missing link.  I finally landed my hands on a 1936 Harrison Radiator that is correct for my car. It is now being re cored and I should have it back next week so I can install it on my test stand, hook up the hoses, fill the cooling system and get ready for my engine start.  I hope that I can post a video of the engine start up and running. 

I spent a lot of time building this engine stand but as I said in my previous post, it is better to run the engine in before it is installed.  

Do you have a lot of members in the European car groups that come to you for component work on their cars?  Seems that you do a lot of Hydramatic  transmission rebuilds.    And I bet when you are done with them, they are.......................................perfect.

Randy

Oh! there are unexpected glitches; they will be corrected one by one, if possible. Some are appearing because not all elements were installed together before the paint/upholstery.

I can make my way with simple electrical tasks; if I have no schematic, I could not install an ammeter.

As we have different designation for batteries, I cannot tell which one I'm using. Just the large 1.5V round ones.

Fortunately, I don't have too many people coming to me for repairing components. I'm only doing 1956-64 Hydramatics and I'm not searching the cases. It seems that I'm known for that!

Today, I did some pictures from the frame and engine. What I still don't understand: my small and old pocket camera is making clearer pictures than the Canon reflex camera I bought one year ago...I'm including 2 pictures with the Canon at the end; you will see the difference.

986 Frame.JPG

987 Frame.JPG

988 Frame.JPG

998 Frame.JPG

999 Frame.JPG

• Like 2

Roger....I gotta tell you that there is absolutely NO INDICATION that the frame and other components are actually a model and not a life size car. FANTASTIC work!

• Like 2

I totally agree that the car looks amazing, illusion accomplished for sure.  Regarding the Canon camera, it may have a close-up setting that will make a major difference when taking near object pictures, my Canon G10 has that feature and makes a big difference, just a thought. Scott... 

Hi Roger,

I have been going through your photos and work, was just looking at them rather than commenting.

But I feel pressurized to comment after seeing all the hard work and passion you put into this model.

It looks very realistic and even a company employee will not be able to assemble the car as you are doing.

Don't you worry about the logo and the small correction as it will be judged on that only by you, nobody else.

Its an inspiration for me every time to go back to my bench after see your work and improve my standards of work.

Thanks a lot Roger!

Dileep

5 hours ago, Scotts_DG8 said:

Regarding the Canon camera, it may have a close-up setting that will make a major difference when taking near object pictures, my Canon G10 has that feature and makes a big difference, just a thought. Scott... 

Thanks to all for the positive comments!

Well, I have to look for that, but obviously, I know how to make models better than how to use a camera! By the way, the Canon is a EOS 750 if this tell you something. The pocket one is a Sony...

Roger the Canon is a good camera, but being more sophisticated means that it needs to be set correctly or have the correct lens suited  to individual circumstances. You should have the "mode dial" on top of the body set to the "flower" symbol and you need to make sure you aren't to close for the lens you have on the camera, if you are to close to the object (the car in your case) it will not allow you to focus correctly.

I agree with you. I will definitively have to learn how to use it; I have the "flower" setting but stay on "standard" which is obviously not a good idea. For the moment, I will still do my pictures with the pocket camera. Almost no setting and usually the quality of the pictures is good!

The RH door is now completed. I had to push forwards the arm rest assembly because it was touching the wind lace at the B pillar. The upper inner molding was also touching the corresponding molding from the rear quarter; it had to move it almost ½ mm. Fortunately, this molding is no more screwed on the inner structure but pushed down on the panel, so to relocate it was not a problem. Maybe it will now interfere with the dashboard when this later is installed…Fortunately, there is a plan B in case!

You may notice that the door's post has a chromed plate. I hope that I will not have to remove the lock; for that I must destroy that plate: it's cemented on the door and done with a 0.1mm thick brass. I suppose it will not survive the separation from the door.

I’m going to finish the LH door which will be a challenge with all those wires.

1002 completed door.JPG

Edited by Roger Zimmermann (see edit history)
  • Like 6

Roger, let me join with all the others to tell you how much these updates tell of your skill. I've been away from the 'puter for a while, so I got a bigger shot of 'news' here than usual. All the words of praise fall short. All the expectations are met and then some. The finished model will represent one of the finest models ever created,  certainly the best 'article' on construction, and a testament to the master workman that produced both. Thanks for this.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the comments!

It is somewhat quiet now because I'm pushing away a major event: the installation of the body on the frame. I'm not sure if it's the right moment (I means maybe other things must be done before that, but I don't see any) because due to the complexity, I will not take the body away from the frame once more.

• Like 1

Roger,

The moment has arrived.  Mating the chassis to the body is monumental as all the small fittings, linkages, wires and cables are to be connected.  I just hope that it goes smoothly as all your previous work has been met with adjustments, modifications, eliminations, etc., etc.  

We have been watching you bring this amazing model along and it is something that we all look forward to every time we log on to the site.  All the progress is culminating to this point.  Where the model becomes one element.  

It is a beautiful model.  Great work Roger.

• Like 2

Finally, I could store all the wires into the LH door and close it with the trim. Another problem was noticed: when the upper molding was installed, I could not open the vent window on both doors! This is the result of the too low roof at the “A” pillar and the lowering of the vent window frame to prevent the interference with the roof. Fortunately, I could also lower the inner moldings just enough to insure a vent window function.

Yesterday was a good day: after pushing away for several days the mating of the body to the frame, I bite the bullet yesterday. Not without issues: I removed the body four times from the frame! The third time, most screws attaching the body to the frame were installed, the rear bumper too, when I noticed that one screw at the “B” pillar could not go in. I began to bore by hand the floor’s hole with tiny drills till one broke, the remaining bit stuck into the hole. The reason of the clogged hole: I used instant glue to attach a wire to the floor and apparently, some glue went into the hole. Of course I did not check every hole prior the assembly, a major mistake.

After the 4th time, no issue was found and the body is sitting definitively on the frame.

Now, I can continue with the rear seat/trim assembly, the heater hoses, and so on.

1003 body on frame.JPG

1004 body on frame.JPG

1005 body on frame.JPG

1006 body on frame.JPG

1007 body on frame.JPG

1008 body on frame.JPG

• Like 10

Thanks Frank!

A quick note: I could connect the hand brake cable to the lever. The bad news: the hand brake is functioning only marginally: with the lever fully pulled, there is some friction at the drums but not a real braking effect. I should ajust the cable (it's possible) but as the adjusting nut is above the central member from the frame, no way to do it. On the real car, there is a door at the tunnel; even with that door at the model , the chance is slim to be able to turn the nut.

Another detail: the model as it's now has a weight of 2'189 grams; 910 for the front axle and 1270 at the rear axle. More weight is coming at the front: fenders, hood, grille and bumper for the heavy parts. The doors are not yet on; they are 130 grams each, the weight will be more or less equally distributed front and rear.

The model will be around 3 kg.

Edited by Roger Zimmermann (see edit history)

Mr. Z, this amazing story of yours is still one of the 1st places I go to each morning, and when you post something there has never been disappointment.  When you are finished with this project, I think I will just fold up the laptop and quit looking, ha !. You are truly one of the best sir, and an inspiration to all of us that thought we could "do stuff" with our hands.  The car is gorgeous, and I still can't imagine the detail you have went to even though I've been watching from the 1st. Thank you !!!!!!

I don't know what else to say, as the others have said it all before me. But I must try! This is truly an amazing work, and as a previous poster commented, it looks like a full size Continental sitting there.

I must also say that only thanks to the internet, and this forum are so many of us able to see this amazing creation unfold before us, over a period years, if one has been following your progress in step with you, otherwise one can read through the entire thread.

Keith