brake buick 69

Replacement brake rotors for the 1967-1970 Olds/Buick full size cars are NOT readily available.  There are so few of these cars surviving that no manufacturer currently makes replacement parts.  Impala brake parts do NOT fit. If you find a listing at a site like Summit or Carid, it's wrong.  You MIGHT find the out-of-production replacement rotors (Bendix, Raybestos, EIS, etc) on ebay or from other specialty sources, but expect to pay stupid money if you do. There are no readily available modern rotors that fit without extensive machine work.  Scarebird makes a conversion kit that uses Ford rear rotors.  I have no first-hand experience with this kit and cannot comment on fitment or quality.

Hello, thank you joe_padavano ! ;) , I would see as soon as possible.
My rotor side conductor is in very good state but the one that is quoted passaged is dead :(.
Are you selling secondhand goods or people who would sell parts ?
thank you in advance

14 minutes ago, sebastienbuick said:

Hello, thank you joe_padavano ! ;) , I would see as soon as possible.
My rotor side conductor is in very good state but the one that is quoted passaged is dead :(.
Are you selling secondhand goods or people who would sell parts ?
thank you in advance

I do not have any used ones for sale, unfortunately.  Ebay and specialty sites like the Buick forum here are places to look. Mobileparts is another vendor who might have old original parts.

I looked in my 1979 edition of the EIS brake parts company catalog and, as Joe said earlier, no luck as they must have been rare even back then. I thought I would at least be able to give you a part number but none exists in the book.

Terry

• Like 1

15 hours ago, TerryB said:

I looked in my 1979 edition of the EIS brake parts company catalog and, as Joe said earlier, no luck as they must have been rare even back then. I thought I would at least be able to give you a part number but none exists in the book.

Terry

Even worse, the part number for the Oldsmobile full size rotors is different from that for the Buicks.  I don't know what the difference is, but Hollander and the factory parts books both show them as not interchanging.  By the way, I've tried to adapt the comparable rotors from a mid-1970s Chevy half ton.  They are different.  The bearings are the same and the newer rotors will fit on the spindles, but the backside of the rotor hits the lower control arm.  Apparently the friction surface is further inboard on those rotors.  They might be able to be made to work with some light machining to clear the control arm.

• Like 1

The 67-9 full sized Buick used 4 piston caliper disc brakes ( Bendix I think) , and that changed in 1970.  I believe the rotors are 11 inch in diameter. 

When I had my 69 Electra I thought one may get lucky IF a front rotor can be disassembled from it's hub.  I know drums can be pressed on and off of the hubs.  I do not know if discs can be pressed on or off.  But IF they can be, then there is an outside chance a Corvette 11" Rotor from the same period can be used.  This comes with two warnings:

1- I do not know for a fact that the early Corvette disc is the same diameter

2- I do not know for a fact that the early Corvettes used 15" rims and the same bolt pattern.

While I do not know this for a fact, I do believe both the diameter and the bolt pattern are the same as the Buick.  I believe the hub is different but I don't know if that's true either. 

Sorry to interject so many variables.  But when I sold that car I stopped investigating it.

Let's correct some mis-information in the last few posts.

The full size cars used rotors that were 11.875" in diameter and 1.25" thick.  Most people call these 12" rotors as opposed to the 11" rotors (actually 10.75") used on the mid-size cars. The four piston calipers were used by Buick for the 1967-69 model years, as noted.  FYI, this is different from the full size Olds disc brakes - Olds went to the single piston caliper with the 1969 model year. 

Rotors are slightly different from the four piston to single piston applications.  The rotors for the four piston brakes should all be two piece.  The single piston brakes could have used either two piece or one piece rotors. 

The Corvette rotors are 11.75" diameter and 1.25" thick.  Unfortunately, the Buick uses the 5 x 5" wheel lug pattern of the full size cars and the Corvette uses the 5 x 4.75" pattern of the mid-size cars.  Even then a good machine shop could weld up the old holes and machine new ones, but there are several other critical dimensions that must be considered, as shown in this drawing:

rotor_measurements_diagram.gif

I have no idea if the height or offset of the Corvette rotor are even close to correct when fitted to a Buick hub.  This was the problem when I tried fitting the Chevy truck rotors I mentioned in Post #11.  Those rotors fit right on the spindles and have the correct 5 x 5" bolt pattern, but they have too much offset.  The inboard face of the rotor rubbed on the lower control arm. You will note, by the way, that I didn't even have splash shields in place in this photo.  These rotors would certainly have rubbed on the splash shields.

20161106_132144.thumb.jpg.ad53ace7e91ec385fda19d71e857e601.jpg

As for Inline Tube, they sell a LOT of parts for the mid-size Buick A-body cars.  They sell very little for the full size cars other than pre-bent brake hard lines.  As I pointed out in Post #5, NO ONE sells new replacement rotors for the 1967-70 Olds/Buick full size cars.  I would be thrilled for someone to prove me wrong here, but I'm still waiting for that.

Edited by joe_padavano (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Joe is exactly right.

I've seen a number of 67-69 Riviera owners over the years be stuck trying to find rotors. If I had a car that needed them, I'd convert to original aluminum finned drums and be done with it and eliminate service problems. 

I had a low mile 67 Riv with the front disc option and honestly I couldn't tell the difference between that and my other 67 (under normal driving) with a properly setup and maintained original 4 wheel drum system.

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Hello everyone and thank you for your answers ;)
Yes indeed they are bendix, I have to contact some old car crashes in america and none of these breaks have a rotor.
I have made several website, ....
Living in France, there are far fewer pieces of American cars, one finds more often for the best known cars (mustang, camaro, ...) but not for mine.
I look on craiglist but this site is so big that I can not see any ads.
Here are some pictures of my rotor out of use
thank you ;)

SAM_1031.JPG

SAM_1032.JPG

SAM_1033.JPG

SAM_1034.JPG

SAM_1035.JPG

SAM_1036.JPG

I'm looking at some rotors from Wilwood racing.  They sell a wide variety of disk brake hardware, primarily for racing applications.  They do have separate rotors and hats that might be able to be configured to fit your car.  They won't look stock, but should be functional.  I'm investigating these for my similar 1967 Oldsmobile.  I need a few more dimensions.  Can you measure from the wheel mounting surface to the front (outboard) face of the rotor?  Also, can you provide the outside diameter of the wheel mounting surface?  Thanks.

I'll say it again. NO ONE makes replacement rotors for these cars.

Any ad that says the rotors also fit a Cutlass, Skylark, or any Chevy should set off very loud alarm bells. Those are NOT the correct parts. The 11" diameter should also be a warning that they are not correct. Those are A-body rotors that are available everywhere.

• Like 2

What year range would be compatible with the '69 Electra?

My mother happened to have a '69 Electra when I was young.

Wrecking yards have a computer-connected nationwide inventory system, so if you walk into a wrecker and ask for a part, they can check on the computer if any other yards in the country have that make and model.

http://www.autowreckerssantarosa.com/

1 hour ago, mike6024 said:

So it seems they are hard to come by.

Gee, you might think that EVERYBODY who owns one of these cars is looking for them...   and has been for the last decade, by the way.  The supply of N.O.S. parts is all but dried up.  Used parts are only available if they are too thin to turn.  We've all been calling the wrecking yards, combing the swap meets, working the networks, participating in the clubs, etc, etc.  On the rare occasion that a usable rotor does come up, it is snapped up in no time, and the buyer ends up paying stupid money for it. 

• Like 1

There are a number of companies which offer Disc Brake Conversion kits, intended to convert cars which came with front drum brakes over to disc brakes. Nearly all of these kits use aftermarket rotors, calipers, and spindles, I'm thinking of companies like THE RIGHT STUFF DETAILING, and the STAINLESS STEEL BRAKES CORP, etc. You might contact them and find out if they offer a kit for 1969 Buick full size cars. If they do, you may be able to "convert" from stock original disc brake system to an aftermarket system, for which replacement parts are readily available. 

• Like 1

Also, years ago I heard of folks using "spray welding" techniques to build up surface thickness on rare old flywheels, etc, and then machining them back to correct tolerances. I would imagine that this process would be a feasible option. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mike6024 said:

I contacted the man who runs the Buick Electra facebook page. He is unaware of any good used rotors for sale. Said he could notify me if he comes across anything. So it seems they are hard to come by.

Thank you mike;), I see that it is a rare pieces to find: /

Thank you all for the research you do! ;)

6 hours ago, lump said:

6 hours ago, lump said:

Also, years ago I heard of folks using "spray welding" techniques to build up surface thickness on rare old flywheels, etc, and then machining them back to correct tolerances. I would imagine that this process would be a feasible option. 

Thank you for this trick, is it solid after a few years?
Is this known this way of doing?
thank you

8 hours ago, lump said:

There are a number of companies which offer Disc Brake Conversion kits, intended to convert cars which came with front drum brakes over to disc brakes. Nearly all of these kits use aftermarket rotors, calipers, and spindles, I'm thinking of companies like THE RIGHT STUFF DETAILING, and the STAINLESS STEEL BRAKES CORP, etc. You might contact them and find out if they offer a kit for 1969 Buick full size cars. If they do, you may be able to "convert" from stock original disc brake system to an aftermarket system, for which replacement parts are readily available. 

As I pointed out waaay back in post #5, Scarebird makes a conversion kit for these cars.  The kit is intended to be used on original DRUM BRAKE cars, not a factory disc car - the spindles are different.  Also, the Scarebird kit uses thinner Ford REAR rotors on the front, requiring machining of a DRUM brake hub.  The thinner rotor also requires the use of matching calipers - so the OP's original calipers can't be used.

7 hours ago, Spinneyhill said:

I believe "spray welding" is not good in high-shear applications like a brake disk. It just peels off. I hope I am wrong.

Flame spray of powdered metal is a technique used to repair worn surfaces such as crank journals on large engine crankshafts.  Of course, those are hydrostatic bearings, and obviously the oil film plays a big part in protecting the flame sprayed material.  I don't know how that material would hold up under dry brake rotor use.  20-30 years ago there was a vendor advertising exactly this service for unavailable brake parts at the Pomona swap meet. I have not heard from or seen this vendor since, which probably does not bode well for the success of the process on brake parts.

2 hours ago, sebastienbuick said:

Here are some photos of different measure

Perfect!  Thanks.

Wilwood sells separate rotors and bolt-on hats in various sizes.  Rotor P/N 160-0483 is the same 11.75" diameter and 1.25" thickness as your originals, for about $39. 

Ultralite-32-Vane-Rotor-lg.jpg

The hats look like this and typically slide over the hub and wheel studs from the outside. The rotors bolt to the hats to make an assembly. 

Drag_Hat_Standard-lg.jpg

You could remove your old rotors and get a hat that has the correct offset to slip over the front of the hubs.  This would move your wheels 0.25" outboard.  Alternately, Wilwood sells undrilled hats that you could have machined to fit on the backside of your hub, like the original rotors. From your rough measurements, it looks like you'd need about 1.69" of offset.  They make a hat that is 1.71" offset (P/N 171-3754).

Drag_Hat_Standard-blank-lg.jpg

I may try this for my own application. Note that your fixed four piston calipers are very sensitive to rotor alignment inside the caliper, so some shimming may be required.  The sliding single piston calipers are much more forgiving as to small variations in rotor offset.

Edited by joe_padavano (see edit history)

• 4 weeks later...