alsancle

Stearns Knight

One of the first cars dad ever looked at in about  mid 1960's, was a 1929 Stearns Knight Landaulet (or it could have just been a Town Car) by I want to say Brunn - I recall seeing pictures of it years ago - I was told it disappeared off the face of the earth and then showed up for a Leakke Auction or ... Auction some time in perhaps the late 90's (I want to say it was painted light green) to disappear again.  Again. a car that was sourced by Art Aseltine and Dave Bell. Any idea where it is now ?

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)

These are two of the Derham drawings I had in my hot little hands at Hershey but didn't buy.  Sigh...  Anyways,  I don't know that either was every built.  Thoughts? 

derhamstearnsknightsc.jpg

derhamstearnsknight.jpg

This is a photo of my 1927 Model F 4 passenger coupe on the day it arrived at my shop. It came from Illinois although it seems to have spent a lot of time in Boyertown PA before going to Illinois.

DCP_2157.JPG

On 12/5/2016 at 11:00 AM, Cookie Man said:

IMG_0045.JPG

Dad just said that appears to to be it - looked at it in mid 1960's (very first Antique car he ever looked at)  - $3,200 drive it home - he did not buy as cost was high and parts availability, but said it was in outstanding condition.  He thought it was midnight blue when he saw it.

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)

4 hours ago, Cookie Man said:

It was blue and beige when it was sold by Harrahs. This was a repaint over the original colors. A previous owner had this taken to bare metal and primed.

Darryl, are you going back to the original color scheme?  If you are taking a poll I vote for blackwalls :).

The original colors were two shades of drab. The leather was a drab close to olive. These color may not be as appealing today as in 1928.

In the 1928 Salon catalogue Brunn illustrates this car in black with a green swept panel from the cowl to the radiator.

This is probably how I will do it.

There are 3 known coachbuilt 8 cylinder Stearns-Knight cars known according to the registrar.  All the bodies were built by coachbuilders but most were in series.  This is the coachbuilt Baker Limo in the Nethercutt.

1928BakerBodiedStearnsKnight.jpg

If the Brunn Town Car was owned by John North Willys then it probably spent some time in the garages at his house here in Toledo (thanks for the address Jason).

JohnNorthWillysHouse.jpg

On 12/7/2016 at 8:43 PM, alsancle said:

There are 3 known coachbuilt 8 cylinder Stearns-Knight cars known according to the registrar.  All the bodies were built by coachbuilders but most were in series.  This is the coachbuilt Baker Limo in the Nethercutt.

1928BakerBodiedStearnsKnight.jpg

I think you meant Barker... ???