Your BEST HERSHEY Find!

1937hd45

This will be my 47th Hershey, lots of stuff has come and gone, but my best find ever was my 1912 Model T Ford. It was the very first "Old Car" I was given a ride in when I was about 12 years old. It did come up for sale locally after the owner had a mild hart attack but we were building the house at the time and I couldn't swing it. It was in the Blue field in 1983 and I wasn't going to loose it this time. The restoration was done in time for the Glidden Tour in 1950, and was the first car in the Elmer Bemis collection in Vermont. I sold my 1928 Packard 443 project to buy it, still a smart move after all these years. We had it on the field at Hershey in 1993 and 1994, and some how just parked in the back corner of the garage for over 15 years. Got it out Labor Day and look forward to having a car to drive around the swap meet evenings.

DSCF4802.JPG

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Bob, it will be great to see you chugging around the field again in the '12 T.   I remember you doing that years ago.  Hopefully I can get a ride sometime during the week.  I think seeing these cars joy-riding around the swap meet is a great addition to the Hershey week and hope we see plenty of it again this year.  I know Reggie Nash always enjoys driving around in his original unrestored brassy-Nash, and there are some other Ts as well as a couple of 1 Cyl Caddy's that roam the fields.   I love it!!!!

See you there.

Terry

• Like 2

What a beautiful car!  I've never ridden in anything that old - yet. :)  Hoping to be able to in the future.

My best find will be one of my best memories!  The first time I showed the Burb in Hershey in 2014.  My husband and father in law got me the annual poster and had the artist autograph it for me while I was at the hotel cleaning, polishing and detailing the truck.  It sits with one of the wooden nickles :) 

It's not a big deal, but it puts a smile on my face when I think about it. :)  

• Like 1

Great looking T!

My best Hershey find will be the next one - just so pleased whenever I can get there! A bit behind on my plans for this year but do expect to spend a day at least!

B)

• Like 1

Last year I found  the expanstion trunk for my 1932 chevy . I have never seen one until then  , Chevy only sold them for about 8 months.  After I found it and got it to the car I found the second one 3 rows  down  , Now will have to restore it to match the car . Kings32

• Like 1

My best Hershey find was the guy on the corner of the Red Field --- if you go out Chocolate World's front doors --- and walk toward Hershey Stadium --

he's right there on the corner....... got some unbelievable N.O.S. U.S.A. made parts.....

Did my 1941 Caddy with his parts and my 1956 Ford Crown Victoria ....... Nice guy, nice prices......

• 3 weeks later...

My best Hershey find was the rear cargo mat for my '46 Ford Woodie. I searched high and low and it wasn't available anywhere. I stopped at a vendor spot called Brownlees and asked the gentleman behind the table and he replied that he did not have one. A voice from his camper (I have no idea how she heard us) replied, "We have one back at the shop". I offered to pay for it on the spot but she said call her on Tuesday when they goy home and we would make the sale. Original Ford in the box, I would have purchased 10 if she had them.

• Like 1

In 2012, I was looking for a correct #945 or 947 trumpet horn for my 61 Fleetwood.  I was walking past and my wife said, that could be one.  We were in a hurry and I passed it off as not it (couldn't find the number).  Guy was asking $25 for it.  Got a text from a friend of mine about 5 minutes later saying he found a #945 trumpet horn for $10.  I asked where.  Met him there and it was the trumpet horn I passed on 5 minutes earlier.

Well, 4 years later, his car still has a trumpet horn and mine doesn't.

• Like 1

This will be my 44th Hershey, I used to go down with my Dad when I was in High School, and continued on to this day. The best find I ever had was several years ago was while walking through the car corral at night, I stepped on something sort of rolled my ankle causing me to fall, looked down to see what I stepped on and found $18,000+ with some Euro's in the mix folded up with a rubber band on the ground. I was with three of my friends none of them dropped it, and I knew none of them had that kind of money on them, There really was not a lot of people walking around, it was not near any of the cars it was sort of laying in the middle of the road, and it was about 8:30-9:00 at night. The few people I had seen I asked if anybody dropped anything, when they said no I asked them to check their pockets to be sure. (I am a kid from The Bronx so I am not about to ask if anyone dropped 18K on the ground! I know I would find several people claiming it!) When they said no, then most asked what I found, I said "it's not important because you did not loose anything" I also looked closely at their face as they searched their pockets, because we all know what the look on our faces would be if we noticed that we lost that kind of money.  I also knew once the word got out somebody would know somebody that would come to me and said I lost it. The golden question to keep everyone honest would be how many euro's? I kept asking everyone I saw as I walked the remainder of the corral and back, also looking for somebody looking for something. I was also looking for someone who was a European either by sound or sight (they are rather easy to spot) No luck with my search....

We ate steaks, good ones that and drank pretty darn good for the rest of the trip and bought a lot of PA scratch off tickets and bought new tires for most of my cars

Now I know someone here on the site will be claiming the money...... none left sorry

2 hours ago, 46 woodie said:

I am not here to preach, but if I found that amount of money, I couldn't live with myself unless I did everything in my power to find the right owner.

It is easy to say, until your the one who found it. It was not like it was next to someone's car or anything like that. I felt at that time and still do today I did everything what I felt that was in MY power to find the owner, (maybe you have more power) it was not like it was in a wallet at there was a name attached, I did not steal it I found it! I looked, I asked, and I live pretty good with myself,  and yes I even made a few donations with some of it.

On the second night we took a car service to a bar in Harrisburg, one of the guys knew of a place where there were some girls dancing for donations to buy some clothes some were close to being naked. As I remember we donated a large amount money there that night. As you can see I tried to get it people who could use it, what more could I do?

Very wholesome to think if I put a sign up that I found 18K that I would only have the rightful owner contact me, and you really think only one person would show up looking for it?.... FYI I did put a found sign near the bathrooms that read Found some important paperwork with no name on it in the car corral on the night that I found it night, keep in mind that paperwork was getting less each day....

Edited by John348 (see edit history)

Yikes, that's a very uncomfortable story.

The AACA Hershey region should have been contacted that "I found some money, won't say how much, but if you have someone looking"....and of course if anyone claimed they would have to describe contents.  I wouldn't have GIVEN it to anyone, nor used any of it, until that was done, and possibly a letter in Hemmings the following month.

Basically, it wasn't your money, and you should have done a lot more to try to find owner than ask a couple of people and put up one notice.  That's my opinion, obviously not yours, and your second post on how some of the money was used was in poor taste.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, trimacar said:

Basically, it wasn't your money, and you should have done a lot more to try to find owner than ask a couple of people and put up one notice.  That's my opinion, obviously not yours, and your second post on how some of the money was used was in poor taste.

Basically, your are wrong, it was my money (long gone now)  I found it no name attaching to anyone, I did not and would not steal it, I did not and would not rob anyone, I did not see anyone drop it, It was not next to anything or car, not even close. I tried to find the owner to the best of my ability, probably I did more than most people would have done. But my attempts was not up to your standards, oh well. The owner really should have been more careful of it I know I would have been. If the rightful owner approached me a few days later and had the proof it was his I would have given him what was left and I would have to owe him what I used. Heck I was honest enough to give it to him he would have to trust me to pay him back. You are right that this is your opinion and obviously with all due respect I had never asked for it. As far as spending in "poor taste" obviously that is a matter of opinion, those poor girls made enough to buy some nice clothes Out of my three friends two of them thought I was crazy to even ask anyone, the other one said we will give it a go. Ironically one of my friends is friends with a member of the Hershey Region (no names) who was told the whole story (except for the amount)and said I was crazy to put the sign up near the bathrooms, take the money and run, and he did not even suggest asking the region. He did know where the club was where the girls were. Everyone was invited, I paid the tab with the found money even invited that region member but he could not make it. If you were there I would have even invited you, that is the kind of guy I am, but from your post I don't think you would have enjoyed yourself. Everyone ate and drank for free for four days, how many people would cut their friends in? I could have stuck it my pocket and not said a word. I had no trouble sleeping because I passed out drunk every night. I even saw a Police Officer and asked "I found some money laying on the ground what should I do?" his reply summed it up...."I have to tell you?" The ad in Hemming's is a good idea Do you think want the entire world to have my phone number calling me up saying it was their money? if it ever happened again maybe I would hire a plane to fly over the field with my number to call me I found some money, but I have feeling that would not be good enough either.

My buddy brought up a great point at the time, what if somebody showed up said the lost the money knew the exact amount of euros that were in the pile, I give him the money and he says there should be 20K and accuses me of robbing 2K from him, interesting situation to be in...

John, none of your explanation negates how badly someone out there felt that year at Hershey, their pile of money gone, the Hershey experience ruined.  It could have been a rich man, or it could have been a kid who'd been saving for years to buy the car of his dreams, either way, my opinion is more effort should have been spent trying to find the owner before the first drink was bought with the money. 

I realize you didn't ask for my opinion, but gloating about someone's misfortune on a public forum deserves some criticism.

Well, I think the story is relevant to the Hershey show.  What if someone else finds a large sum of money walking the Hershey site, what should they do?  What are the legal obligations?

According to the law, one should hand the found money over to local law enforcement.  After a period of time, if unclaimed, then it will belong to finder of said money.  The legal advice given in the HG.org article below also states it's a good idea to have an attorney present when you hand the money over to law enforcement, just to assure that, if it's not claimed, you get it back.

And yes, it's fully taxable if retained.

"Everyone has seen a few cents on the ground, likely dropped while someone pulled a ring of keys from their pocket. While we would probably not think twice about picking up a penny, what if it was a bank envelope full of $100 bills? It may seem like a dream come true, but there are certain legal obligations when one finds misplaced money.

A few people have found incredible sums of money in unlikely places. A 75-year-old woman once found (and returned) $100,000 she found in the parking lot of a restaurant in Tennessee. Even I, your humble author, once found several hundred dollars literally blowing around a parking lot after a lunch with some colleagues. Being younger and more naïve we collected the money, gave it to the manager, and asked him to call us an return it if the owners did not come back. Needless to say, our phones never rang. But what should my friends and I have done? Were we under a legal obligation to do anything with the money?

Every state has laws requiring the return of money or property if it is possible to identify the owner. As a result, if you find a wallet full of cash and an ID, you cannot legally pocket the cash because the owner is recognizable. The same holds true for a bank envelope full of money (especially if it has a receipt in it), a purse, or even an abandoned vehicle. If the owner is not easily identified, most states still require that you contact local law enforcement and give the money to them for a period of time to allow the owner the opportunity to claim it. Should the rightful owner fail to surface after a certain period of time, every state's laws will allow the finder to take the money as his or her own. Doing otherwise is considered theft, and the reasoning should be obvious: everyone ever accused of theft would just claim that they found the stolen property if there was not this legal obligation to try to return lost things to their owners.

This brings us back to the usual hauls one finds on the street: pennies or the stray dollar bill. Obviously, the time and expense of trying to find someone over a few dollars is so prohibitive that, while very technically illegal, keeping these sums is acceptable. As the old Latin saying goes, “de minimis non curat lex:” the law does not bother with trivial things. Of course, if you find this money and someone is walking around looking for it, then you would be breaking the law if you lied and said you had not seen it just so you could keep it.

For added protection, particularly if you find an unusually large sum of money, you may wish to enlist the assistance of an attorney. Not only will the attorney be able to help you ensure the return of your property by law enforcement should the original owner fail to claim it, they can also guide you through the appropriate legalities and tax consequences for keeping the money (yes, even found money can be taxable income as far as the IRS is concerned). Whatever you do, learn from my mistake and do not give the money to anyone other than the police, no matter how honest they look; you will probably never see it again.

Copyright HG.org"

2 hours ago, Restorer32 said:

And of course you reported the $18k to the IRS as income?

OOPS, I forgot that one, I will get on that right away, Maybe I should have cut my ex in also?

2 hours ago, AnniesSS said:

Boy has this thread gone in the wrong direction.

He found the money. Period. End of story. Can we move on?

I could not agree with you more Annie, its over, and long spent. The thread is asking about "your best Hershey find" I found it and don't think I will find anything to top that. I found money and I found a good time

2 hours ago, trimacar said:

John, none of your explanation negates how badly someone out there felt that year at Hershey, their pile of money gone, the Hershey experience ruined.  It could have been a rich man, or it could have been a kid who'd been saving for years to buy the car of his dreams, either way, my opinion is more effort should have been spent trying to find the owner before the first drink was bought with the money. 

I realize you didn't ask for my opinion, but gloating about someone's misfortune on a public forum deserves some criticism.

Does not matter who it was who lost it, they should have been more careful. I did say if the owner did approach me and could prove it was theirs I would offer to repay the amount of money we consumed, I know if were me I would be grateful and tell the finders not to worry about it. I even paid off my bookmaker when I got back to NYC. I really wish I found the owner that night, but I didn't. I did MY best. By the way one of the guys with me is a retired NYC Police Officer, and he was the guy who said to "shut up and keep it" so I was advised. I know my lawyer would have said the same but found a way to bill me for a grand.

You are right I did not ask for your opinion, I also did not ask for your criticism or for you to justify giving it to me.

Maybe we can hear about those finds where the buyer beats the seller out of a part for a few dollars and then flips it for a large profit, but I am pretty sure that you have some justification for that. When I find a large amount of money again I will make sure to take your advise.... lets move on

Edited by John348 (see edit history)

I guess it all depends on how strong a conscience you have. Acquaintance of mine found a wallet in a rest room at a mall. The owner, an old lady, was easily identifiable since her driver's license was in the wallet, which contained $70. My acquaintance took $35 and turned the rest in to security. Her logic was that some people would have taken the entire $70 so she was doing the old lady a favor by only taking $35. Personally I would rather be able to sleep with a clear conscience.

1 hour ago, Restorer32 said:

I guess it all depends on how strong a conscience you have. Acquaintance of mine found a wallet in a rest room at a mall. The owner, an old lady, was easily identifiable since her driver's license was in the wallet, which contained $70. My acquaintance took $35 and turned the rest in to security. Her logic was that some people would have taken the entire $70 so she was doing the old lady a favor by only taking $35. Personally I would rather be able to sleep with a clear conscience.

I agree with you in that situation I could not sleep with a clear conscience either. every person is different and every situation is also. Like I said I would have paid the person back for the balance in my situation, but I also knew the odds of that person claiming my find was pretty slim. I am maybe a little too street smart growing up in NYC, but if I lost it I would have figured it was long gone 

OK, since you don't like my "opinion", I'll retract calling it my opinion.

It's the law, not my opinion.  Removing the money from the wallet was theft, what was done with the $18K found was illegal, as legally it should have been turned over to the authorities to meet the letter of the law. 

In addition, you'd better hope no one from the IRS Whistleblowers office finds your post, as you evaded taxes as well.

Not my opinion, the law. 

My "opinion" is that gloating on a public forum over the misfortune of some one else is in poor taste.  I'm through and won't post on this thread again.

• Like 1

Somehow I think legs are being pulled here...just sayin! :)  Now to get the topic back on track I will tell of my best find but try to shorten the story.  Over a decade looking for a specific pair of Grey & Davis lamps  or is it Gray?  Anyway, advertised in Hemmings, went to Chikasha, etc. and NO luck.  I was restoring a car that there was only two known examples in the world. So, prior to taking this job I came out to Hershey with a group of guys and spent every hour looking for these lamps.  Despondently, on the last day we planned to head home but first we decided to experience the joy of Hershey porta potties before jumping into our RV's.  As I opened the door I happened to notice some brass under a table at a booth we previously visited. I questioned the guys whether we should stop and so we ambled over there.  The vendor was known to our group but not me. I asked do you happen to have any lights under there and he said I have one set. Naturally he pulled them out, and viola!  It was what I was looking for and they were in great shape.  EXPENSIVE but one of our group had wanted some parts I had and really did not need so he bought the lamps for me and I shipped his parts to him!  As we walked further we simply dropped the lights off with Rick Britten to get show car restored and my car now was not missing anything!  It was a great Hershey after all!

• Like 1

OK, here's one...

I have been set up in Chocolate South in the same spot for over 30 years and there used to be (he has passed on) an older gent who would always get out of his truck and march across the aisle to me and say that he had brought a special item to the show 'just for me'. Sometimes it was a candy bar, sometimes something for a car, but always something small and insignificant. Well, one year he came over and said the same thing, but that it was in a box on the back of his pick-up. I went to take a look and what a surprise. (Now I was into Model T Fords at the time and had a thing for speed equipment...) In the box was a Frontenac overhead valve set-up that was complete and ready to bolt on a car. Complete down to the rocker cover, carburetor, intake, exhaust... the works.  I asked 'How much?" He stated $800. It was worth three times that and I told him so. He then said, "I damn well know what it's worth, now do you want it for $800 or not?"  I grinned all week long  and this is a tribute to the kind of man John Adams was....

Gone but not forgotten...

Frank