1955 Buick Century

Thanks for sharing, look forward to following. Looks like a good candidate for your planned project, where did you find it and why did you happen to choose a 55 Century.  

keep us posted and don't hesitate to ask for help in the PostWar forum, there's lot of knowledgeable 55 owners here. 

• Like 1

Mr Earl suggested putting the story behind me getting my car, so here it is...I bought the car in Hampton, VA about a little over 3 years ago...about 15 minutes from where I live in Newport News.  The reasons for choosing this particular car runs deep.  My grandad also owned a 55 buick century. Same body style too.  Only thing different was that my grandad's car had all the factory options.  He even had the four-way power seats.  It was the family car and was my grandad's favorite car. My dad has told me stories about riding around in that car.  When my dad became a family man himself, he begged my grandad for years for that car.  Finally, my grandad gave it to him, but on one condition...that he never sell the car.  I remember sneaking into that car when I was little and loved pretending to drive it.  I used to draw pictures of it all the time that my dad loved.  I loved that car as much as my dad.  Then we came on hard times where we were really behind on the mortgage for our house.  The only thing we had worth selling was that car.  My dad was going to sell it for 2,000. But I really feel the guy who bought that car took advantage of my dad's desperation and he ended up selling it for 900...under the condition he give my dad the first chance at it if he ever try to sell it.  This guy's name is Glenn Danks.  Before turning the car over to him, my dad started the car up for one last time and we road it around the neighborhood one last time.  I even snuck into it one last time to look at it, smell it, feel it and snap a few pictures of it.  I was 8 at the time.  When the tow truck finally came, my dad and I stood next to each other in the living room and just watched the car leave our sight.  Soon as that car disappeared my dad broke down and cried right in front of me.  I didn't know what to do.  That moment has always stayed with me.  Of course my grandad was upset when my dad explained what happened. Rumor has it that the guy fixed it up and put it in car shows, but we never had any contact with him.  My dad is still bothered by selling it to this day.  My grandad has also passed away since.  So you could imagine how fast I jumped when a co-worker told me they were selling a car exactly like the one pictured up at my work station.  I was even more excited to see that it was the same year, type and body style as my dad's.  This is how my grandad and dad are involved with this.  My dad is so excited and I make sure I keep him posted with this process.  But that's why I chose the 55 buick century.

Edited by Kosage Chavis
Fix spelling errors (see edit history)
  • Like 11

Here Here!

Great choice for all those reasons and more! Hope to here more details unfold as you work(play), along with it! Like pictures. Lemme know if I can assist. Best Regards, GregIMG_20150501_193456.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Over the past weekend, I was able to put some work in on the Buick.  In the middle of pulling interior parts right now.  The tedious part is storing.  I start with taking pictures and/or video of the part removal.  The part fasteners are zip locked and labeled.  Part and part fasteners are boxed.  Box is then given a special number that I created.  Box info is then recorded in my records book (includes special number, contents of box, date it was stored, where exactly it was stored and and any special comments).  It is finally stored away.

By the way, I wanted to post some pictures of the process, but I keep getting a message at the bottom of the screen that says that the prior operation was unable to perform due to low memory.  Is this my phone or the website.  Please help.  Thanks.

Edited by Kosage Chavis (see edit history)

Was the yellow & blue the factory paint on your car, or is that a respray?

As for numbering removed parts, if you have the Buick documentation (chassis parts book / body parts book), Buick has a detailed code for each part that remains the same across model years (though the part numbers are year-specific or year-range specific). Cars, Inc. in particular organizes their replacement parts catalog using the Buick numbering system.

12 hours ago, Eric W said:

Was the yellow & blue the factory paint on your car, or is that a respray?

As for numbering removed parts, if you have the Buick documentation (chassis parts book / body parts book), Buick has a detailed code for each part that remains the same across model years (though the part numbers are year-specific or year-range specific). Cars, Inc. in particular organizes their replacement parts catalog using the Buick numbering system.

The paint on the car right now is original.  At the moment, I do not have a chassis parts book.  The numbering system I created theoretically will help make assembly relatively easy when that time comes.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

On November 26th, 2012, I first saw this car parked in the front yard of someone's house in Hampton, Virginia.  After a few months of the occasional drive around the block I finally began what I plan to be a full restoration.  To start off, I wanted to remove as much exterior chrome as possible.  At this point, I had nothing to store the car in.  Removal of the following items were done in a strategic manner, starting with the simplest thing...the grill ornament.  Only 4 bolts holds this on.

DSCN2531.JPG

DSCN2533.JPG

Next thing to be removed was the headlight assemblies.  Pretty easy task.  However, there are many small calibration pieces that are easy to lose if you don't take your time.  Keeping all associated pieces together is important. All you need is some zip lock bags and a sharpie.  Also, I made sure I took pictures of everything and labeled everything.  Take nothing for granted.

DSCN2532.JPG

DSCN2535.JPG

• Like 1

The taillights proved to be a little tougher.  I took off both lenses to gain access to the bolts to find out that the mounting bolts are accessed at the back.  Making this more difficult was the fact that those bolts were almost covered in years of grit and dirt.  Wear your safety glasses for this one.  There are 4 bolts total.  I provided a picture below.  Also, there is one more bolt accessed when the top lense is removed.  I am pointing to it in the picture below.  Finally, a picture to show the bolt pattern for the entire taillight assembly.

DSCN2542_kindlephoto-48732550.jpg

DSCN2541_kindlephoto-48584542.jpg

DSCN2543_kindlephoto-49771559.jpg

On July 13, 2016 at 8:40 PM, Kosage Chavis said:

Does anyone on here know how to directly link YouTube videos onto any thread?  All I know how to do is provide a link to the actual videos.  Thank you.

Just copy and paste the link and it magically turns into the video. Is that what you are asking? 

Lights were already detached, so I just snipped the wire some where in the middle, enough room on both sides to reattach at installation.DSCN2554.JPGShowing the car's rear with everything removed.  Decided to leave the bumper foundations on for now.DSCN2553.JPGThis was a stopping point for me.  I would have to wait till the next opportunity for some free time to get more done.

About a month later, I was able to pick up where I left off.  Started with the front bumper.  This thing took a while.  From looking at it, it seemed best to take the whole bottom off as one assembly.  I started with the bumper-to-bracket bolts.  I then removed the bolts that directly mounted to the car body.  These are found where the ends of the bumper wrap around the body.DSCN2556.JPGHere is what it looks like with lower bumper removed.  There are 6 bumper-to-bracket bolts in all...one behind each dagmar bumper, one on each side of licence plate bracket and one on both sides of the lower bumper.  Remember to support both sides. DSCN2557.JPGThe upper portion of the bumper is much easier and is removed in 3 pieces...middle and 2 sides which interlock with each other.  Bolts are easy to access at this point.DSCN2560.JPG

Edited by Kosage Chavis
Grammar (see edit history)
  • Like 1

When the whole bumper is removed, you will now have easy access to all the grill assembly bolts.  All grill bolts are at the periphery.  Do not confuse the grill bolts with the drip shield bolts as shown here.DSCN2561.JPGHere is a picture of the grill assembly off the car.  Notice that there are 3 drip shields still mounted on the grill.  I plan on taking things off as an assembly where it makes sense, like this.  It allows for parts to track easier and not become misplaced.DSCN2563.JPGWhat the car looks like with the grill assembly off.DSCN2564.JPG

• Like 1

The BUICK nameplate was next.  This task was easy.  All you need is a flathead screwdriver and a rubber mallet.  Just locate the tabs of the nameplate on the underside of the hood.  Place the head of the screwdriver up against a tab and lightly tap the head of screwdriver, applying a little more force each time till the tab pops out.  There is a locking sleeve on each tab.  Be sure not to lose these.DSCN2568.JPGAs you can see, each letter has 2 tabs.DSCN2570.JPGEntire nameplate removed.DSCN2571.JPG

Edited by Kosage Chavis
  • Like 1

Hood ornament is up now.  Another easy task.  Only 3 bolts hold this assembly on.  DSCN2572.JPGTook a picture of the assembly underneath.  The rod and associated clip are held together with the same bolt that holds the hood ornament.  Can anyone please tell me what the purpose of this rod is?DSCN2574.JPGShowing the car with hood ornament removed.DSCN2575.JPGShowing the removed hood ornament.DSCN2576.JPG

• Like 1

Hello,

Wishing you all the best with your car. :) 

While I'm hooked on 58's due to being my first cars, the 55's would be my next choice simply because of their design. Love the two tone options.

(Can anyone please tell me what the purpose of this rod is?)

I think the rod is to hold the hood insulation in place. There should be another one at the back of the hood too? 

Again, being familiar with 58's, mine have rods that go fully across the hood but others that have 55's would be best to chime in here. (most of the active guys are away at the National I think so be patient)

What I might be able to help you out with, I have an NOS hood trim piece for the bomb sight you might be interested in. Shoot me a PM if you want some pictures. 

The bomb sight itself is being re-made so they are not hard to get as they are used on both fenders of the 58's too or you might get lucky to find a good used one at a swap meet.

As a friendly suggestion, don't take the car too far apart (especially if she is running) unless you have deep pockets and time. I made that mistake on one of mine and it has been years sitting like that as life sometimes does get in the way....... Having more than one car doesn't help either.:wacko:

Looking forward to following along.

• Like 3

Thank you for that.  I figured the rods held the hood insulation in place.  I will PM you to see what you are talking about.  As far as what I plan for this restoration, I do plan to do a complete tear down.  I don't have deep pockets, but I do have time, patience and persistence.  Take care and thanks again.

Both front quarter panels would be next.  Pulling these off were a little difficult.  I advise pulling the doors off first, which would give easy access to the panel bolts.  However, I do not have a garage big enough to fit my car in and I did not want expose my good interior parts to outside elements.  So, I just had to tough it out and be patient.DSCN2728.JPGJust be sure to look for anything along the edges of the quarter panel when removing all bolts.  Do not forget that there is something to unbolt at the most bottom, rear portion of the panel.DSCN2729.JPGDSCN2730_kindlephoto-88116831.jpgShowing both quarter panels removed.  Decided to leave signal light assemblies and ventports attached.  Less parts to keep track of.DSCN2735.JPGFinally, what the car looks like at this point.  This would be another stopping point for me until the next chance I got at working on it.

DSCN2737.JPG

Edited by Kosage Chavis
Added YouTube link (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Moved the car to the driveway about a month later.  It was around this time my wife and I learned we were going to have another baby.  So naturally I wouldn't do much with the car for the next 2 years except to occasionally start it and let run for a few minutes.  Other than that, I would also occasionally sit in the car to just touch it, smell it and imagine her being all done.DSCN2764.JPG

• Like 1

It drove me crazy seeing the car getting rained on for another 2 years.  The minute I was able to save a little money plus a coupon, I purchased a carport.  This will have to do till I can build a garage.  Progression non-the-less!IMG_20151229_133554.jpg.8a486ac519adca7427ba2748fca1a33e.jpg

Edited by Kosage Chavis
  • Like 1