Project '55-63 Driver

Mudbone

Would anyone know what this car is valued at if it is as good as it looks?

Various value guides out there.  Pick a value and deduct what it would take to get to that condition.  I see that the interior is worn and tattered.  And it depends on if it is running or not (not=deduct price of at least one drivetrain component).  Kinda like the BCA judging:  all start with 400 before deducts....

Various value guides out there.  Pick a value and deduct what it would take to get to that condition.  I see that the interior is worn and tattered.  And it depends on if it is running or not (not=deduct price of at least one drivetrain component).  Kinda like the BCA judging:  all start with 400 before deducts....

Ok, I will report back on what I find out.

I would take $5000 cash and if not worth that much give the excess to the wife to hold.  At a small auction like that there may be a bunch of bidders that bid it to $20k or no bidders at all.  If you get it you will have something to drive and enjoy for the next 10 years while you finish the restoration on the 66R :D

Willie

• Like 2

I would take $5000 cash and if not worth that much give the excess to the wife to hold.  At a small auction like that there may be a bunch of bidders that bid it to $20k or no bidders at all.  If you get it you will have something to drive and enjoy for the next 10 years while you finish the restoration on the 66R :D

Willie

That would suit me just fine. Then maybe my family will get off my back about not getting the car done. (Some of them are getting older and may not see it finished at the rate I am going!)

Pick up the pace on that restoration Mike.

Oh wait a minute...

Pick up the pace on that restoration Ken.

True story. My dad had a feed route that served local farmers. One of his customers last name was Butts. Guess what his first name was?   (Seymour) No kidding!!

I placed one bid on the car. It is now in my driveway. Now what the (BLANK) do I do with it? I have no storage for it. After I have time to evaluate the car I will give you the price. (Willie was real close) I don't have time today as I have the Model T loaded on the trailer for a trip in to see my brother. They are having a church picnic and mini car show today. Later, Mud

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Nice to see a '50's four-door hardtop!

They have beautiful lines and are seldom seen.

I'd say that, today, your car is scarcer than all the

1958 Limited convertibles or 1953 Skylarks.

Not that rare (I have 2 55 century 63's), but not appreciated.

Mud --- while you are contemplating an update, look closely at the interior.  Maybe because it is the first year of the 63, it rivals any Roadmaster!  Even my 66C is dowdy compared to the 63.

Not that rare (I have 2 55 century 63's), but not appreciated.

I didn't want to use the term "rare," since that word

is so overused today.  But I'll say it's several times

scarcer than the '58 Limited convertibles and

'53 Skylarks, which appear in every major auction.

After decades of restoration, production numbers

sometimes don't tell the entire story, and Skylarks

aren't even close to rare these days.

As car fans and historians, we are here to preserve

history, yet many of the formerly common models

are seldom seen simply because they aren't "popular."

Are your Centuries both in nice condition?

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Now you have two "drivers".

A lot of good stuff been done to it. That isn't a bad thing. Totally worth what you paid.

That is a Tanks Inc. gas tank. Just move the electric pump back and get a new rear metal fuel line (Inline will sell just that separately). Clear the crud out of the drain holes, that should prevent further rocker damage. The tires will work for now. I can't tell on the seats. The door panels look good to me.

I say again...you scores.

Wow!...........Who could ask for more.

A great driver that you can enjoy while continuing on the restoration of the 2 door.

Drive the hell out of it and by all means clean it up but I would not get too distracted with major repairs right away..........invest the time in the 2 door.

You're always going to get you money back on this one plus more.

Jealous I am   ;) 

• Like 1

I started it up last night. It fired right up. It took about 45 seconds to stay running and then it died. Then the battery was dead. So I will put in a new battery and check to see if there is any gas in it and try again. (I had it running for about a half an hour when I loaded it) I did not have the electric fuel pump running so I am not sure if it has to be on or it is just a booster for hot weather. Mud

Mud, it looks like a mostly original survivor other than the things you noted:  trunk, door panels and seats especially.

Links to 2 of mine for comparision:

http://buickrestorer.com/centurys/b63/

http://buickrestorer.com/centurys/t63/

The turquoise/white one is a 25k mile original; the blue/white one you have seen and was restored to BCA standards.

When I was restoring my convertible all of the NORS replacement rockers were "caps" like the one used on yours...a quick and dirty way to repair.  I have a model 63 parts cars that is rust free...some disassembly required.

As suggested, check and fix to make it safe and dependable and drive it.  Allentown sounds like a good shakedown cruise!

Willie

• Like 1

I brought home a new battery for it tonight. Who would have thought that a Bobcat battery is the same size as a 55 Buick battery? Anyway the fuel gauge reads 1/2 full, by tapping on the tank it says empty. I put in four gallons and now it reads full! Turned on the electric pump but it would not fire. I ended up taking the fuel filter nut off the back of the carb and then turning on the electric pump. A bunch air came out and then finally fuel. She fired right up. After putting it back together it was too dark for a video. However we did get a video of my wife opening the glove box for the first time. Video to follow... Mud

I watched your entire video.  Much of the car does appear original as you believe it is.  The rust issues around the rockers appears minor to me as the overall condition is quite good. Shame the repair on the front corner was not done very well.  The interior does appear to be original.  Overall a great buy from what I see.  Nice car to cruise in with family.   Perhaps this vehicle will be great as a reference for the 55 you are working on now.   Somehow I suspect you are growing a liking to it and will use it as a daily fun driver.  The reason I say this your current restoration, that no doubt will be top notch, will be used occasionally and for shows only. Handled with much care.  Where as the new purchase can be fun to run no matter where you are going.    Just a guess on my part.             

Edited by avgwarhawk (see edit history)
  • Like 2