Video: Cruising Wilshire Boulevard...in 1935!

Guest Magoo

Guest Magoo

Here's a very cool little five-minute film of vehicles cruising Wilshire Boulevard in Beverly Hills one beautiful California day in 1935.

Evidently the film was originally shot as rear projection stock footage for the Hollywood movies but at any rate, there's a lot of interesting stuff going on. Check out the big old Rolls-Royce Sedan early in the sequence, and some cherry '34 and '35 Fords. How many vehicles can you identify? (You guys all of them, probably.)

Video: Crusing Wilshire Boulevard, 1935 | Mac's Motor City Garage.com

cruisingwilshire1935.jpg

It's startling to me how few cars, and how few people, there are in that film. How crowded would it be today?

As someone who lived for many years in Los Angeles in the recent past I can say that you are just as likely to see empty sidewalks today as back then, nobody walks in that town... everybody drives, not that I mind really. I used to take my dog to the little park that runs along Santa Monica Blvd. in Beverly Hills and sit under a giant Ficus tree and just spend a couple of lazy hours watching the parade of insane rare and cool automobiles that would drive past. It's such a car-centric town that many of my friends living there had no idea there was even a modest subway system beneath LA!

Every once and a while I seen the drivers stick their arm out the window whenever thet stopped or turned,

I wonder what that was all about?

It looked like a couple of times a driver was giving the old hand signal for slowing down. That is left arm out of driver window pointed down. When I got my drivers permit in 1965 we had to know all three hand signals for stop, left and right turn.

Guest Magoo
It looked like a couple of times a driver was giving the old hand signal for slowing down. That is left arm out of driver window pointed down. When I got my drivers permit in 1965 we had to know all three hand signals for stop, left and right turn.

I think Roger was pulling our legs a tiny bit.

• 9 months later...
Why did this link go away and now they ask you to go to YouTube? Also, all the YouTube copies have music added, I wanted to here the noise of the traffic which was there before. ???

No good reason, simply the prerogative of the person who hosts the YouTube channel.

I have never found a version with ambient sound, only silent and music-tracked versions. Apparently the footage was created to use in process shots.

No good reason, simply the prerogative of the person who hosts the YouTube channel.

I have never found a version with ambient sound, only silent and music-tracked versions. Apparently the footage was created to use in process shots.

Magoo, thanks for the input. Yes, there is a version where you hear the noise from the car or truck which is moving the camera and in it you can hear the acceleration and shifting of gears, very cool, however I don't know what happened to that version.....

Magoo, thanks for the input. Yes, there is a version where you hear the noise from the car or truck which is moving the camera and in it you can hear the acceleration and shifting of gears, very cool, however I don't know what happened to that version.....

I don't remember that one either. If you find it let me know. Not saying it's impossible but it would have been much more difficult to record sound in a moving vehicle at that time, "talkies" didn't even happen until about 8 or so years prior so the technology would have been costly, especially if it was just for process shots. I'd wonder if they simply didn't dub audio to match in the version you saw.

Ironically my first trip along Wilshire Blvd was this last Saturday. Lots more traffic now and I don't recall that many gas stations.

I don't much care for the traffic that I encountered in LA. They seem to be much more aggressive than I am used to. Especially the young girls. They all drive like they are late.

Ironically my first trip along Wilshire Blvd was this last Saturday. Lots more traffic now and I don't recall that many gas stations.

I don't much care for the traffic that I encountered in LA. They seem to be much more aggressive than I am used to. Especially the young girls. They all drive like they are late.

You nailed it. They're also texting, applying makeup, etc.

Would love to find that. Will keep my eye open.

Here is the version with car sounds. In my opinion, these automobile sounds were probably added after the film was shot.

I say this because all you hear is the car sound--there is no ambient sound of the street or of other vehicles, horns, etc.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=42a_1360248193

Edited by Pomeroy41144 (see edit history)

• 4 years later...

Neat film clip.  I liked the silent version better because the sound was kind fake sounding.

I did notice no traffic lane lines on the pavement.   Most drivers behaved anyway!  Wouldn't

happen that way today.  I especially liked to see lots of closed car models, proving not all old

cars were roadsters or phaetons.