Trafficator???

Dauphinee

Ok here is a question for anyone.

I was talking with a gentleman (he is originally from Europe) at work and we were talking about putting turn signals on to my 1936 Pontiac Deluxe.

He asked me if I was putting on Trafficators?

At first I didn't know what those were...thanks to Google now I do.

Signals arms that came out of the sides of cars.

My question...Did any american cars use these?

If so does anyone have pics.

I've seen them on model As that were brought back from Europe. They were in a pocket cut into the cowl. I don't know about the mechanism. If you get to see "Shot in the Dark",the first of the Pink Panther series with Peter Sellers and Elke Sommer,one of my all time favorites, you can see them in operation.

Yup

They are mostly used in Europe

But I have seen NOS units at Swapmeets in the US too. I think people thought they were a good idea and imported them to sell Stateside

I remember a case of ornate signals including a counter top advertising set on a market in Az once ...... should have brought the entire package

I think I might have a set saying " made in USA'' on them But finding them in the moving mess might take time :)

Guest stephen48

My brother had a 1950 Vauxhall that had these.The trafficators were factory installed in the door post between the front and back door.

They were transparent orange glass(or plastic),about 12 inches long and had light bulbs in them so they would glow when out.

They made a mechanical noise on the way out and a clunk when they went back in.The driver operated this with an electrical switch both ways.

It sounds strange now but a lot of British makes had them!:D

Guest De Soto Frank

There were some "semaphore arm" turn-signal devices used on trucks ( big stuff ) in American cities in the Twenties and early Thirties; there were usually mounted on the rear of the wooden cab roof and operated by rods & levers.

• 2 weeks later...

Drivers already pay no attention to blinking turn signal lights. Most have no clue about hand signals (that used to be required knowledge to get a driver's license!). I can only imagine the typical inattentive American drivers' reaction to seeing these flip out the side of the car ahead of them.

"BUT OSSIFA, HE DIDN'T GIVE A TURN SIGNAL!"

My dad had a Hudson (I believe) with these on it, don't know the year as I was a small child. I know it was an American make.

We once had a Japanese tourist run inside a left hand turn I was executing and go into the ditch. He thought my hand signal was just me pointing at something! you have to be extra vigilant when touring an antique auto.

Edited by JFranklin
Capitol A in American (see edit history)

Guest Al Brass

They were quite prone to getting broken off. They were usually mounted on the B post and you got caught in them when you got out of the car. The same thing happened if you had the car running and forgot to switch them off. Not an entirely successful idea !!

Al

We once had a Japanese tourist run inside a left hand turn I was executing and go into the ditch. He thought my hand signal was just me pointing at something! you have to be extra vigilant when touring an antique auto.

More than once I've signaled a right-hand turn and had people wave back at me...

:rolleyes:

Just to muddy the water, TR6 Triumphs identify the turn signal dash indicator as "TRAFICATOR"

That was true through 1972. In 1973 the word "Trafficator" was replaced by a more generic double ended arrow. (There is only one dash light for both turn signals.)

Does anybody know of a later use than 1972 for "Trafficator", either on a U.S. sold car or elsewhere?

Here's one made in Germany for use in the USA

I have an NOS pair of these. Other styles packed away.

If you need them open cup your hand and smack it with the Trafficator open side into your hand .... Piviot toward the top. The opens all styles without busting the over center device.

I can also tell you they don't want to open over 100mph:cool:

I've never counted my collection but guess it's around 100 pairs

I suspect there are people still using the term 'Trafficator'' as there are still those using the term ''NEARSIDE''

post-62158-143138624375_thumb.jpg

post-62158-143138624626_thumb.jpg

I suspect there are people still using the term 'Trafficator'' as there are still those using the term ''NEARSIDE''

I'm more interested if any car companies were still using the term. 1972 strikes me as a ridiculously late date to still be using this term in print on the vehicle, even for a British company.

That was true through 1972. In 1973 the word "Trafficator" was replaced by a more generic double ended arrow. (There is only one dash light for both turn signals.)

Does anybody know of a later use than 1972 for "Trafficator", either on a U.S. sold car or elsewhere?

Hi, Dave.

Gosh I am glad this Trafficator thread came up. Owned my 1972 TR-6 since new and always wondered what the two blinking lights labeled "trafficator" meant. Every time I used left or right "turn signals" the darn trafficator lights would start blinking. (just kidding).

I may be wrong but do not recall seeing "trafficator" on the 1973 TRs.

Peter.