car songs...need help!

I don't know what happened but they didn't show Summer Holiday yesterday and it is not showing up in their schedule anymore. I have asked that they show it and that notify me when they do. In the meantime, tomorrow night (Thursday - July 28) at 8PM EST, they have scheduled on the Turner Classic Movies The Long, Long Trailer with Lucy and Desi. I haven't seen this movie in a coon's age. Thought you might want to know.

I want to thank everyone who has offered suggestions for Car Tunes. I have finished re-organizing the Junior AACA Car Tunes juke box by decades. Also I have loaded several new songs (many suggested here).

1. 1909 - Autoduett

2. 1926 - Rolls Royce Papa by Virginia Liston

3. 193? - My Baby Austin Seven by Clarkson Rose

4. 1949 - Mercury Boogie by K C Douglas

5. 1951 - Riding in My Car (Car Song) by Woody Guthrie

6. 1951 - Sunday Driving by Jerry Lewis

7. 1954 - Cadillac in Model "A" by Bob Wills and his Texas Playboys

8. 1956 - Transfusion by Nervous Norvus

9. 1980 - Crazy About an Automobile by Ry Cooder

--------------------------

If you would like to listen to these songs, go to the Junior AACA web page, click on Stop, Look, and Listen then choose your decade.

Enjoy!

Guest Shaffer

I am sure it was mentioned, but I did not have time to read all of the posts.

One of my favorites is "One piece at a time" by Johnny Cash.

I also like "I've been everywhere" - even though I have not. grin.gif

• 6 months later...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Any ideas for the 1940s? </div></div>

Judy,

I recently purchased a brand new (2005) 4 cd box set of '40s and '50s car and train songs titled <span style="font-style: italic">Trains and Cars</span>. A German release on Membran Music, it is about 1/2 car songs in either early R&B or Rockabilly/Country styles. If you're still looking for '40s songs there are a number on there not on the web site. There are quite a few early 50's songs as well which are not on your list.

<span style="font-style: italic">My Convertible Cadillac</span> by The Treniers (1947), a slow, jazzy R&B number that's too good to be so unknown. cool.gif

<span style="font-style: italic">Keep Your Motor Hot</span> by George (a.k.a. Dave) Stogner (1949), Straight country, a little flat but with a good slide guitar/fiddle solo.

<span style="font-style: italic">Won't You Ride in My Little Red Wagon</span> by Tex Williams (1947). Upbeat country song about <span style="font-style: italic">Radio Flyer</span> wagons, not the woodie kind. Still kinda cute for kids to listen to.

<span style="font-style: italic">Hot Rod Baby</span> Dick Reinhart (1948). Slow, smooth country more about women than cars (much like <span style="font-style: italic">Terraplane Blues</span>).

<span style="font-style: italic">Lost Highway</span> by Leon Payne (1949). More of a travel song, straight country.

<span style="font-style: italic">Highway 99</span> by Lowell Fulson (1947). Classic traditional blues from a master, but again more of a travel song than specifically about cars.

<span style="font-style: italic">The Traffic Song</span> by Joe Lutcher (1947). Semi-humorous slow r&b about traffic violations from an interesting 1940's African-American perspective.

<span style="font-style: italic">Truck Driver's Blues</span> by Cliff Bruner (1939). Country-blues which was one of the first trucking songs recorded.

There are also at least 2 dozen similar early '50s songs (mostly more directly car-related) that I've not come accross before as I don't collect country as a rule. Included are all 5 versions of <span style="font-style: italic">Hot Rod Race</span> (<span style="font-style: italic">Hot Rod Lincoln</span>) by Arkey Shibley, as well as <span style="font-style: italic">Cadillac in a Model A, Ethyl in my Gas Tank, Hardtop Race, Woman Driver, Hot Rod Shotgun Boogie</span>, and many others. It's a cheap box set (I paid $18), so it's worth looking for. cool.gif

Guest De Soto Frank

I think Raymond Scott had an instrumental titled "War dance of the Taxi-cabs" ?

He was famous for little novelty instrumentals in the '30s & '40s, frequently used in many Looney Toons...anytime somebody gets run through a factory processing line, you'll hear Scott's "Powerhouse" backing up the scene.

Another of his hits was "The Toy Trumpet"...

Guest imported_GeorgeCagle

Here is a much more recent song that I have never seen mentioned here. It is Red Barchetta by Rush from the Album "Moving Pictures" (1981). This song was inspired by the story "A Nice Morning Drive", written by Richard S. Foster. There is a 1981 movie starring Lee Majors and Burgess Meredeth called "The Last Chase", which was inspired by the same story. A few of the lyrics are:

"Down in his barn, my uncle preserved for me

an old machine - for 50 odd years.

To keep it as new has been his dearest dream.

I strip away the old debris

that hides the shining car.

a brilliant red Barchetta from a

better vanished time."

I think the uncle must have been an AACA member!

Guest De Soto Frank

George,

That wasn't by chance the movie where a young guy finds an 1920's Jordan Playboy roadster in a garage, and has a weird deja-vu experience about the whole thing ?

I say this movie on TV back around 1980 or so, but don't remember the title or much else about it...

The young fellow is driving the "restored" Jordan down a country road at dusk, and somehow gets taken back in time to the mid 1920's...

(Does anybody else remember this movie??? I know I'm not making it up... crazy.gif )

Guest imported_GeorgeCagle

No, different movie. I remember seeing this one on TV in the early 80's. The movie is set in the future, where cars are banned. Lee Majors had hidden a Ferrari race car years before and finally decided it was time make a stand for freedom. With the help of his nephew they put the car together and hit the road. Burgess Meredeth, on the side of the government, chases them with a prop-driven fighter plane. That was the best part of the movie. The song by Rush was written seperate from the movie but has the same story line.

Guest imported_JPIndusi

When Buick sponsored the Milton Berle TV show in the 1950's there was a catchy tune about driving a Buick. Does anyone know the official name for this song?

Joe, BCA 33493

Guest my3buicks

There was one called "My Buick, My Love, and I" and I believe that is the one your thinking of. I think it's first line is " How I love to drive my Buick, with my Love sitting by my side "

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

Austin Seven was sung by Clarkson Rose (though penned by Norman Long) in 1932. I guess the Jukebox can have "32" instead of the "3x" on the song now that we know when it was made.

See http://lyricsplayground.com/alpha/songs/m/mylittleaustinseven.shtml

A song I would like to see added to the Jukebox is "Where the Cars Are," sung in 1961 by Dinah Shore.

See http://youtube.com/watch?v=EpOCLD6RfCU (If only this forum could have video-embedding capabilities...)

OK - I posted three new Car Tunes today! smile.gif

1961 - Where are the Cars by Dinah Shore. A 1961 Chevrolet commercial.

1988 - Eighteen Wheels and A Dozen Roses by Kathy Mattea

1991 - Confusion Among a Fleet of Taxicabs Upon Meeting With a Fare by Raymond Scott

To listen to these Car Tunes, go to the Junior AACA Web Page; click on Car Tunes and choose the decade you want to listen to. Enjoy!!

Any more requests?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 24T42</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any more requests?</div></div>

I forgot to request "Drive My Car" by The Beatles, recorded in 1965.

I listened to this song a LOT in my teen years on a Tiger PC vintage 1998. (I have had it in storage for 25 months now and haven't yet gotten around to copying its HD's contents via a transfer cable.)

<ul style="list-style-type: disc">[*]Youtube music slide show with original song[*]A modern remake[*]Another modern remake, a cappella

(Oh, and on the a cappella version, I would recommend editing out 2:35.5 to 2:42.5, therefore skipping to the ending without the said part.)

Here is an OLDSMOBILE song you might like:

Title 455 Rocket

Artist Kathy Mattea

Song lyrics

Mr. Smith had an Oldsmobile

Baby-blue with wire wheels

I took her home the day she was advertised

He said she would leaked when it would rain

Sounded like an aeroplane

but I knew she was jewel in disguise

She had a 455 rocket

The biggest block alive

I couldn't hardly wait just to take my turn

She was made for straight-a-ways

She grew up hating Chevrolets

She's a rocket

She was made to burn

Well, who's junk pile piece of Chevelle is this?

Did you boys come here to race or just kiss?

mmm now don't ya want to know what I got underneath my hood

I know she might sound like she's missin

but buddy she could teach you a lesson

in just a quarter mile and i'll smoke you good

In my 455 rocket

The kind the police drive

I couldn't hardly wait to just take my turn

She was made for straight aways

She's a rocket

She was made to burn

I'm telling you and i ain't ashamed

I cried when that wrecker came

As we skid i thought i heard angels sing

Sounded like the Beach Boys

Hit the curb then began to sail

Took out most of the safety rail

Even the cop asked me, "Man what'd you have in that thing?"

I had a 455 rocket

The very kind you drive

You wanna watch yourself when you take that turn

She was made for straight aways

She's a rocket she was made to burn, burn

Ohh she's a rocket she was made to burn

"Rip It Up", originally done by Little Richard, 1956. Second verse:

"Got me a date, and I won't be late,

Pick her up in my 88".

Besides Mr. Penniman, this song was covered by the all-time greats from the '50s; Elvis had it as the lead song on his second album, Bill Haley & His Comets had a Top 40 version, and others like Chuck Berry, Buddy Holly, The Everly Brothers, and Gene Vincent (plus more I'm forgetting, no doubt) cut versions of it.

Do the carmakers' ad jingles count? 1965 "Wouldn't you really rather have a Buick? Buick, '65 Buick"

I have a bunch of Jam Handy Olds ad jingles LPs, but unfortunately not computer-savvy enough to transcribe them.

I'm sure there's some obscure stuff in my own record collection too. Some that come immediately to mind are Foghat "Chevrolet" and Mott the Hoople "Born Late '58".

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am glad you enjoy the Jukebox. I only upload new songs when I have the time to prep them for Internet listening. The first problem is to obtain a copy. The file must be of the mp3 format. If it is in wav, I can convert it to MP3.

I am sorry I haven't uploaded anything lately but I have been busy working on the new AACA 75th Anniversary web site. Please stop by and take a look - no Jukebox though. frown.gif I will see if I can't upload a couple of new tunes for you this week.

Here is a youtube video IN the forum.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YX8aSJIKkTM&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YX8aSJIKkTM&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

• 2 weeks later...

"<span style="font-style: italic">Beep, Beep</span>"

<span style="font-weight: bold">The Playmates</span>: 1958, by Claps & Cicchetti Produced by Roulette Records. Beep Beep

While riding in my Cadillac,

What to my surprise.

A little Nash Rambler was following me -

About one third my size.

The guy must’ve wanted to pass me up

As he kept on tooting his horn. Beep! Beep!

I’ll show him that a Cadillac

Is not a car to scorn.

Beep beep. Beep! Beep! Beep beep. Beep! Beep!

His horn went beep beep beep. Beep! Beep!

[slow]

I pushed my foot down to the floor

To give the guy the shake.

But the little Nash Rambler stayed right behind;

He still had on his brake.

He must have thought his car had more guts

As he kept on tooting his horn. Beep! Beep!

Is not a car to scorn.

His horn went beep beep beep. Beep! Beep!

[Normal]

My car went into passing gear

And we took off with gust.

Soon we were doing ninety -

Must’ve left him in the dust.

When I peeked in the mirror of my car,

I couldn’t believe my eyes:

The little Nash Rambler was right behind -

I think that guy could fly.

His horn went beep beep beep.

[Faster]

Now we’re doing a hundred and ten -

This certainly was a race.

For a Rambler to pass a Caddy

Would be a big disgrace.

The guy must’ve wanted to pass me up

As he kept on tooting his horn.

Is not a car to scorn.

His horn went beep beep beep.

[Fastest]

Now we’re doing a hundred and twenty -

As fast as I could go.

The Rambler pulled along side of me

As if we were going slow.

The fellow rolled down his window

And yelled for me to hear,

“Hey, Buddy, how can I get this car

Out of second gear?!”

Beep! Beep! Beep! Beep! Beep! Beep!

• 3 weeks later...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: R W Burgess</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"Beep! Beep!

Beep! Beep!

The horn went Beep! Beep! Beep!...........Hey Buddy, how do I get this car, out of second gear?"

Cadillac? Really? You got to be kidding? whistle.gifwhistle.gif

Little Nash Rambler by The Playmates eek.gifeek.gifeek.gif

</div></div>

<span style="font-style: italic">Beep Beep</span> was released in 1958. The "little Nash Rambler" it referred to was almost certainly a 1957 Rambler Rebel, the first big block mid-size car. The Rebel had a 255 hp engine, with 13.0 lbs per hp. The fastest Caddy in 1957 was probably the 325 hp Eldorado, with 16.67 pounds per hp. The 300 hp Coupe de Ville (5048 lbs) was identically dialed in at 16.67 pounds per hp.

<span style="font-style: italic">Beep Beep</span> was deadly accurate. That's why it's so funny! grin.gif