Architecture and Signage: Historic Buick Dealerships

Centurion

On 12/11/2022 at 7:35 AM, MetroPetro said:

Does anyone have a sign like the one leaning against the gas station? Hard to make out, but it appears to be reversed colors of one hanging off arm from dealership.

Any photos of that sign from another location?

D9732F62-11BB-46F8-B924-D360F4CA4BF8.jpeg

I’ve seen that sign and may have a picture in my files.
I do have an original of the  wooden one on a stand “No Parking not even Buicks”  That’s a rare one, even in pictures. Thanks for drawing my attention to this one, I had not seen it. 

cc @Jolly_John

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This car was originally sold at Bill Dreiling Buick. I sold it to a collector in Wyoming who repainted the blue into red.  He in turn sold it to someone in Florida.  The spotlight was aftermarket and is the give away.  The original interior was red and white.  The now owner has restored the car nicely and added a luggage rack, wheels and tires. I was not the original buyer, but the history was in its papers and went with the car. Oh, the car was equipped with power seat and factory air conditioning.  And one other thing, the radio antenna is an aftermarket '57 T-bird reproduction.  The original Buick would retract to about 6 inches of remaining exposure.  Not so with with the reproduction.  In the photos it is shown retracted.

Copy of 87CaballeroBlue3.jpg

Copy of 92Carson.jpg

Copy of OldBlueAfterRest.jpg

Edited by Caballero2
Restorataion history completed (see edit history)
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
22 hours ago, Dave Gelinas (XP-300) said:

I see the valance but I'm missing the point.

He will probably incorporate the design on his Buick sales & service center. Watch.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/10/2006 at 12:09 PM, Centurion said:

Michigan State University has put together a site comprised of historic photographs from libraries around the state. Called "The Making of Modern Michigan", there are about two dozen images that turned up from a search on "Buick". Among these are two great photos from 1964, showing a Buick dealership in Kalamazoo. The photos are hotlinked from the site, and may be slow to load.

"B/W image of the Boylan Buick Dealership showing the front exterior facade and main road sign. Boylan Buick once stood on the southwest corner of West Main Street and Drake Road in Kalamazoo, Michigan at 5047 West Main Street. As of 2005 this dealership has been replaced with a strip mall."

LK01a033.jpg

"B/W close-up of the exterior facade of Boylan Buick located at 5047 West Main Street in Kalamazoo, Michigan. It should be noted that in the showroom among the new Buicks is visible a Opel Kadett which this dealership also offered. The image is looking to the southwest and was taken in 1964. As of 2005 this business has been replaced with a strip mall."

LK01a034.jpg

This is my favorite of this thread. 

• Like 3