Do you know what car you FIRST rode in, or what car your parents

Guest Shaffer

Guest Shaffer

The topic about the "1970 gas prices" made me think of this.

Does anyone remember the very first car they rode in, or what car their parents had when they were born? Perhaps the ride home from the hospital was your first ride? (for those born in a hospital). My dad told me that the first car I rode in (from the hospital in March 1976) was in a 10 year old 1966 Plymouth Fury sedan. It was my mothers car at the time, as well as a 1966 Mustang convertible that my grandfather bought for her. I think my dad had a 1969 Chevrolet. One set of my grandparents had a nearly new 1974 Oldsmobile Toronado, with the airbag option (grandmother) and a 1975 Chevrolet truck (grandfather). My other grandparents had a 1967 Camaro 6-cylinder coupe, with A/C (grandmother) and a 1972 Chevrolet 3/4 ton truck (grandfather). I had to find all of this out by questions and old photographs.

Thank goodness, all four of my grandparents are still living, although one grandmother can no longer drive.

Here is what they have now:

First ones listed:

1995 Buick LeSabre 4dr

1987 Isuzu truck

Second ones listed:

1990 Mazda 929 sedan

1984 Toyota Van

1965 Lincoln Continental convertible

1928 Dodge truck

This grandfather still has some neat old cars/trucks. He did have a 55 Buick Special until last summer.

Can you tell I have always been a car buff? grin.gif

My ride home in '70 was either in a ratty red '64 Ford 4x4 pickup truck (doubtful) or a Diesel Mercedes 4dr sedan. My parents traded dad's '66 383 4-spd Charger for that car. Ouch.

I clearly, clearly remember my first ride in a hot rod/muscle car: black '72 AMC Javeline AMX, 401. Dad was watching it for a buddy who pulled the keys from his son. Once around the block like we were bank robbers with the law right behind us!

-Brad

Guest my3buicks

My first ride home was in a 50 Chevy in 1960. After that was a 61 Chevy II, the first car I really remember riding in was my parents 63 Chevy Impala Sport Coupe. it was a looker, Red with a white top, fairly loaded up with options, BUT, the kicker was it was a 6 cyl.

Edited by my3buicks (see edit history)

I believe My first ride in a car was in a 1958 Chevy Delray 4 dr. This was in 1961. My parents kept that car until about 66-67 when they bought what I thought was a much cooler car, a 64 Olds Jetstar 88 2 dr hdtp. Their choice of cars went downhill from there, 64 dodge 340 4 dr., 73 Pontiac Catalina 4 dr. My dad had a lot of cool cars before he got married. 30 something Plymouth convertible, 47 Chevy sedan delivery, 49 ford 2 dr. My son should have a lot of good memories about old cars when he was young, since I have had several since he was born.

Guest Skyking

Good Topic!...My first car, born in 1946, was my dad's 38' Buick Special 4 door slant back with side mounts...I still remember that car like it was yesterday. I was 4 before he traded it in for a new 50' Super. I still remember sitting in the middle of that 38' while he let me shift that huge floor shift into gears....No seat belts or safety kids seats back then, and we survived!

When I was born in 1943 my dad was overseas in the navy so I likely came home on a bus. My father owned a 29 Plymouth at the time but my mother couldn't drive.

I was born October 3, 1953.

My parents bought a new 1953 Buick Special 2 dr Sedan Model 48D on May 1, 1953, so I assume that, that is the car I rode home in from the hospital, since both of my parents are now deceased.

That is the car I first remember riding in until 1958 when my parents traded it in on a new 1958 Chevrolet Brookwood 4 dr wagon.

When my mother passed away in 2002, I found a file folder with all the bills of sales and most repair order records from most of the cars they owned from a 1947 Pontiac to a 1988 Buick Park Avenue.

The Bill of Sale for the 1953 Buick is attached to this post. I previously published it to members of the Minuteman Chapter on May 1, 2003 as a fifty years ago today email article to begin our Buick 100th celebrations.

The other two most likely cars I rode in early on and remember are my paternal grandfather's used 1950 Chevrolet Bel Air 2 dr coupe (later traded in on a used 1953 and 1955 Chevrolet Bel Air coupe and 2 dr hardtop) and my maternal grandfather's first new car after WWII, a 1950 Buick Special Deluxe Touring 4 dr sedan Model 41-D.

The 1950 was traded in during January 1957 for a 1 year old 1956 Buick Super 4 dr Riviera sedan, Model 53, in hardtop style. The 56 Super was traded in early in 1964 for a 1 year old 1963 Buick Electra 225 4 dr Hardtop Sedan Model 4839. When my grandfather retired in March 1969, he ordered his retirement car a 1969 Buick LeSabre Custom 4 dr Hardtop Model 45439 with 400 option which I believe was the 350 c.i. V-8 4 barrel with the 400 Turbo Hydramatic. His last Buick was an ordered 1977 Buick LeSabre 4 dr Custom Sedan Model 4BP69, which was his last car when he died in July 1984.

Can you guess which relative I take after? Pepere!

I was born in 1948, and my aunt brought my mother and I home from the hospital in a Kaiser. I don't know the year though. I believe at the time my dad had a 37 Ford. The next year he got his first new car, a 49 Chevy. I don,t remenber the 49 (only from pictures) But I do remember picking up a new robin egg blue 53 Chevy in the Fall of 52. He also had a 60 Corvair, 63 Nova, 71 Nova, and a 71 Pontiac Lemans.

Attached is a photo of my grandfather's 1950 Buick Special in the background on my mother's wedding day. September 2, 1950. Going in to church are my grandfather George Guillet and his oldest daughter/my mother Irene Guillet.

The 1950, 1956, and 1963 Buicks were bought at Magna Buick, Northampton Street, Holyoke, MA. Magna was a Buick dealer from 1908 to 1998 when it was closed down by Buick on August 1, when they were reducing the number dealerships.

My 1939 Buick Special coupe was sold to its original owner on January 26, 1939 at Magna Buick. It is now 65 years old. I wonder if it is eligible for Social Security and Medicare?

1950 Mercury 2-dr. sedan in 1954. They traded it in to Porter Chevrolet, Cambridge, Mass., on a '58 Chevy wagon in 1958. I can barely remember the Merc., but I do have a hazy memory of visiting the Porter Chevrolet showroom.

Like Marc, my parents also got married on Sept. 2, 1950! This is a fascinating thread.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Attached is another photo of my newly wed parents Albert and Irene Brouillette before taking off on their honeymoon, standing on the right side of my grandfather's 50 Buick. They drove their 1947 Pontiac on their honeymoon.

Thanks for the great recollections and, Marc, for those great family photos with the Buicks in the background.

I was born in August, 1953, and rode home from the hospital in my parents' 1951 Pontiac 8 2-door. I do not remember this car, although there are old home movies of me riding in it. My Dad traded it in on a new 1956 Pontiac Chieftain 870 2-door Catalina at Meadows Pontiac in Portland in January, 1956. I remember this car very well, and, of course, cannot forget the day I became a Buick man. The Pontiac was traded for a new 1961 Buick LeSabre on October 7, 1960 at the Baker Garage in Baker City, Oregon. (My grandfather had purchased a new 1916 Buick touring at this same dealership.)

It's possible I road home in this: scan0002_small.jpg

But I better remember this one! Yes, that's me!

It was bought after I was born, my brothers and sisters came home in it, #1 sister was almost born in it, and my dad had it up around 110 on the way to the hospital. Me56.gif

It was painted all black in '62. In '72 I learned to drive on it, I painted it again in '73, lots of bondo and fiberglass was used to hold the rear quarters together by then. Taken off the road in 1979, moved around the backyard occasionally and then parted out in May of 1995.

Guest sintid58

I was born in August 1957 and my dad has told me I was brought home from the hospital in my Grandfathers brand new 1958 Buick Special. At that time I don't know when they announced the new cars. If it wasn't the 58 it was Grandpa's 57 Special or Dad's 55 Special. My Grandfather traded cars every year or two until he got the 58. He liked that car so much he kept it until 1965 when he bought a new 1965 Special Wagon. The 58 is the first car I ever remember riding in, I think that is why I have a soft spot for them.

Born late October 56, came home in a 1953 Olds Ninety-Eight sedan on Halloween! It was traded for a 1960 Dynamic 88 sedan which is the car I really remember from my childhood. It was named "Clyde" when Ray Stevens released "Ahab the Arab". My dad also had a 1949 Chevy pickup that he claimed was the coldest vehicle on earth to ride in!

I was born in July of '44 and I was brought home from the hospital in my dads '40 Buick Super coupe. He kept it until he traded it in for a new '51 Ford. I still remember riding in it very well and remember being sad to see it left at the Ford dealer. I guess thats why I choose a '40 Buick Roadmaster for my collector car.

Woody Michel

Great topic / I was brought home from the hospital in my Godfathers 58 Chevy Impala 2-tone. Thankfully he kept the car until I was old enough to have a visual memory. It was always spotless and yes it had the tri-carb setup under the hood. His next car was a "Hot" '65 Super Sport w/327. Man Old Godpa Joe always had some mean cruisin machines. In my house Dad was always the practical 1 a 50 ford tudor / next up was a 57 Buick Special 4dr / then a 63 Ford Galaxie 4dr. He sure loved them 4dr's. Though now he's tooling around in a Yellow Punch Buggy, Ouch !! -"OldBlue" [color:\\"blue\\"]

I was born in 1948, and came home in the 1935 Dodge Dad held onto until 1950.

He then bought a Super, and my very earliest memory at age 2, was being on the salesroom floor, literally, looking underneath the car at the feet of the salesman and Dad.

We had that 50 FOREVER, until getting a new 1961 LeSabre.

My life has been Buicks since 1950, don't know how we let a Dodge slip in there.....

Dale

Guest Dans 77 Limited

My Dad always bought a 1 year old used car.I was born in 64 I am sure I was brought home from the hospital in a 1962 Chevy Belair wagon white with a blue interior and after my brothers wreck , yellow fenders. It survived my older brother (52 today)learning how to drive on it , he even rolled it once but didnt do enough damge to it for my Dad to get rid of it . Dad kept it till 1970 so I remember it well. At that point he bought a 1969 Chevy Impala coupe, which didnt survive my brother, it was totaled in 74 , Dad then bought a 73 Chevelle , that I learned how to drive on , then in 1982 he got his 1st buick , an 81 Skylark Limited , he had that till I got married in 1990 when he bought an 89 Olds and gave the Buick to me.

He now has a 2002 Bonneville , anyone want to guess what year he bought that in grin.gif

Dan

Guest LeSabre Nut

My first ride was a 1960 LeSabre Sedan. That is the car I was taken home in from the hospital. (I'll be 40 in May) My dad bought the car brand new two years before he married my mom. (Their still together but now drive Chrysler products) After the 60 LeSabre they had a 68 LeSabre. They drove Chevys for a while then got an 84 LeSabre which I bought from them and drove until it died. I now have another 84 LeSabre (daily driver) an 87 Century and an 89 LeSabre T-type (my Toycar). Guess that first ride in the 60 LeSabre put Buick in my blood!

Hello,

I was born in 1974. My ride home frome the Hospital was in my parents' 1971 Poneiac Grand Prix SJ (455). My dad say's that was the best driving and riding car he ever had. My second ride was most likely in a Studebaker Avanti....My parents had two....They still have one, and I have the other. The Avanti that I have is the one that I rode in when we moved from Illinois to Washington when I was 2 years old. My parents also had a 1957 Corvette at the time, but I think they weren't driving it much anymore. When I was 2, I rode around in my dad's 1934 Ford fordor sedan. He still has that along with the 33 Ford Coupe that he drove in college.

My first ride was in my parents metallic gray 1976 Century Custom coupe while my mother was still pregnant! Once I was born (in january 77), my parents had already changed it for a black 1977 Pontiac Grand Prix but since they sold the Buick to my uncle, I remember it well as he kept it until 1983. The Century had blue/white interior with a console and the rallye steering wheel. It was still very clean when he sold it and I REALLY liked that car. Back then, I didn't know that it once belonged to my parents!

Guest imported_klb

Dad and I were just talking about this the other day.

He was out shopping and found small diecast 39(?) Ford Coupe and couldn't wait to give it to me. Apparently he bought a 39 Ford coupe for $15.00 after my Mother went to the hospital to give give birth to me (this seems to have taken a few days) and then used it to bring me and my Mom home from the hospital after I was born in 1946.

He could hardly wait for me to open the package so he could play with the diecast smile.gif

Born 1947. Rode home from hospital in a '39 Buick. Parents moved to Los Angeles (from Cleveland, Ohio) in early 1949 and bought a '47 Super which I have very vague memories of (it transported one brother ['49] home from the hospital). First car I really remember is a '52 Super my dad picked up in Flint while on vacation in Milan, Ohio. Really loved that car - drove it to the junkyard with more than 160,000 miles after transporting my youngest brother ('52) and two sisters ('54) home from the hospital after their births.

Guest COMPACTBC

I guess I might as well chime in here. I was born in 1931, and since both parents have gone to their reward I don't know the 1st car I rode in. The 1st car I remember was a '33 Willys 2dr on a trip to WA from CA. The car did not have a trunk so my parents put eveything in the back seat up to window sill and then made soft bed for me play on and wave to everyone on the road. The next cars were a black '35 Studebaker President 8 with side mounts (moms car), and my dad's car was a '34 Nash rumble seat coupe with side mounts, sure wish I still had those classics.

Then along came WW II and gas rationing so they traded in the '35 Stude for a '39 Studebaker Champion with 3 on the tree with overdrive. This car got great mileage so mom kept it a long time, and this is the car I learned to drive in, lots of fun using all 6 gears when mom or dad were not looking. Dad traded in his Nash for a '35 Chev Standard 2dr, what a challenge the clutch in that car was, it either lurched and stalled the car or chattered so bad you thought the engine was going to fall out. He finally got rid of that "turkey" and bought the neighbors '38 Chrysler Royal, much easier car to drive.

Back in those days (1945) you could get a junior operators drivers license in CA at age 14, and this would allow you to go to and from school or work and on errands for your parents, so if the cops stopped you, "you were always on the way to the store for your mom". In 1947 I got to buy my 1st car, a '40 Chev Club Coupe, which I promptly made into one of the fastest "6 bangers" in So. California, (93 mph at the quarter mile drag strip in Santa Ana). My 1st set of new tires only lasted 4,000 miles, what fun. cool.gif I blew up the engine at the drags in San Diego while in the Navy, tongue.gif so I bought a couple of "transportation" cars ('40 Ford 4dr & '42 Mercury 4dr)till I got out of the Navy. The next 2 cars were a '50 Chev 4dr Fleetline with a new 261 Chev truck engine under the hood, pretty fast for a stocker, beat a '41 Buick with dual carbs at the Santa Ana drags, he was not a happy camper, shocked.gif and then after graduating from college, I got my 1st new car a '57 Dodge D500 Hemi, which was VERY fast for a stock car. I then graduated to my 1st Buick, a '62 Special Deluxe Conv 215 V8 with 4 on the floor. Pretty fast for a small V8 and I still have that car, which is my pride and joy. cool.gif

P.S. My '64 Rivi did 85 mph (14.6 ET) at the Milan Dragway while I was at the 100 Buick Anniversary Meet last year, not bad for a 40 year old car with a much older driver behind the wheel. I guess I'm still a teenager at heart. wink.gif

When I was born in '57 we had two cars: a 1955 Packard Clipper Custom and a 1951 Frazer Vagabond (hey, Dad didn't like driving a car that anyone else had). Since the hospital was about two blocks from the house, he could've grabbed either car, but I bet Dad picked Mom and me up in the Frazer, because he probably came to the hospital from work, and that was his work car. Neither of them are around to tell me about it now.:(

MOST of the time when I was growing up I saw the world from the back seat of the blue-on-blue two-tone Clipper, which was one sweet ride: 352 V8, Torsion Level suspension, Twin Ultramatic transmission... we still had the car in the family 'til well after I graduated from college. I never drove it much though. I was more interested in getting seat time in my Dad's '65 Electra or later his '69. cool.gif I "inherited" the '65 and it was my daily driver from age 18 to 23.

The Clipper will always have a special place in my heart, though. Dad bought it new in the fall of '55 and kept it over 30 years! It was the first--and one of only two (the other a '79 New Yorker)--brand new cars he ever bought. It wasn't junked, either, but sold to someone who planned to restore it. Hope he did.

THIS IS A GREAT THREAD. THANK YOU EVERYBODY FOR SHARING YOUR MEMORIES AND READING MINE! laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

in jan 1973 i came home in either a 1966 VW karmann-ghia or a fiat 1100, i remember a lot of fiats during my childhood as my father would replace them every year, and in india during the seventies you could only buy two types of cars new, the fiat and the ambassador, which is a indian built morris oxford, but we also had a couple of fords which my dad bought second hand from diplomats leaving india, an english cortina, and a german tudor, my dad was born at home in Dec 1931 at that time we had a buick, an austin and a studebaker that we still have, my son came home in my lagonda v12 rapide, which was imported into india by the maharajah of jodhpur.

• 5 years later...

I believe I would have first ridden in a '69 Meteor. Dad had a Dodge pickup at that time, but I don't recall the year. He replaced the Dodge with a '73 Ford, then a '79 Ford. The '79 is the first vehicle I drove without sitting in a lap, first in the fields, then on the back roads. I'm pretty sure I steered the '73 sitting on Dad's lap before I could reach the pedals. There were advantages to growing up the son of a farmer.

Once I got my license, there was a Mercury Zephyr that my brother generally had when he was away at university and the main car was a '77 Mercury Marquis.