For Sale: 1972 Dodge Monaco 4dr Station Wagon, 9-passenger, 53K miles - $21,500 - Lakebay, WA - Not Mine

For Sale: 1972 Dodge Monaco 4dr Station Wagon, 9-passenger, 53K miles - $21,500 - Lakebay, WA

1972 dodge monaco for sale by owner - Lakebay, WA - craigslist
Seller's Description:

Selling my 72 Monaco 3 row wagon, the wagon is a nice original piece of Mopar history 100% original paint and has 53K miles on the clock. The original 360cui engine runs like new and has plenty of power to move this big land yacht.  The ac blows ice cold and cruise control works perfectly. No rust everywhere
Contact: No phone listed.  Chat available through "Reply" button on listing.
Copy and paste in your email: 6eb8ffb8609d3c4cb1593551517fc027@sale.craigslist.org

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1972 Dodge Monaco 4dr Station Wagon, 9-passenger.
The Standard Catalog of American Cars, 1946-1975, edited by John Gunnell states 5,145 1972 Dodge Monaco 4dr Station Wagons built.

'72 Dodge Monaco Wagon WA a.jpg

'72 Dodge Monaco Wagon WA b.jpg

'72 Dodge Monaco Wagon WA c.jpg

'72 Dodge Monaco Wagon WA d.jpg

'72 Dodge Monaco Wagon WA e.jpg

'72 Dodge Monaco Wagon WA f.jpg

'72 Dodge Monaco Wagon WA g.jpg

'72 Dodge Monaco Wagon WA h.jpg

'72 Dodge Monaco Wagon WA i.jpg

'72 Dodge Monaco Wagon WA j.jpg

'72 Dodge Monaco Wagon WA k.jpg

• Like 4

I think this car will be very desirable

to the right collector.  The yellow-and-green

color combination isn't really in its favor,

but the distinctive front-end styling, and

the wagon body, render it very distinctive.

This is an outstanding find, Steve.  Thank you.

It will sell readily when the price is right.

The ad is now down to $20,500. 

Maybe $15,000 is a realistic value?

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Crusty Trucker said:

HEY!!  Demolition Derby drivers...You missed one!

Are you saying wagons are worthy only of 

demolition?  Many people might have thought

that at one time, so wagons tend to be rare now.

Now they are often valued as much as convertibles.

Or are you thankful that this one survived?

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

The yellow-and-green

color combination isn't really in its favor

2 hours ago, DrumBob said:

The green interior is hideous. 

The colors are very appropriate for the era.  This is an authentic 1970s look.  Not every car should be red. 
Brown was also very popular at this time.  The green is much better.  

interesting the window sticker is two page. It has so much text that it wouldn’t fit on one page.  I have seen that on very loaded cars that literally have every option. This car doesn’t have that many options, but there’s a lot of space taken up by listing the standard features for this model. 

Also interesting is that the original buyers paid cash.  And no trade.  You don’t see that very often. 

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

I think this car will be very desirable

to the right collector.  The yellow-and-green

color combination isn't really in its favor,

but the distinctive front-end styling, and

the wagon body, render it very distinctive.

This is an outstanding find, Steve.  Thank you.

It will sell readily when the price is right.

The ad is now down to $20,500. 

Maybe $15,000 is a realistic value?

John:

I could hardly believe one of these survives, especially in good condition.   Large station wagons just got used and abused to near extinction, of course the demo derbies were no help.  But at one time, the surplus was long, the prices dirt cheap and the cars tough and durable.  Makes this 1970's period survivor all the more special now, chances are only a dozen or so survive in all conditions. 

I used to refer to the frontal styling of these early-'70's Dodge Monacos as "the 1942 DeSoto Air-Foil headlight styling updated".  Actually, it appears to have been inspired by the 1969-'70 Mercury Marquis frontal design as a Mopar interpretation. 

Steve

'69 MERCURY MARQUIS front.jpg

'72 Dodge Monaco front.jpg

Edited by 58L-Y8
Added photos for the record. (see edit history)
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, m-mman said:

The colors are very appropriate for the era.  This is an authentic 1970s look.  Not every car should be red. 

I like the yellow, and to me it's okay when

combined with the green interior.  That

combination I've seen in the 1940's and

into the 1950's, but very rarely in the 1970's.

I agree that there are too many red or white

convertibles--to the extent that, while attractive,

they are almost trite.

People may not realize how rare this Monaco

wagon, in any color, really is.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, drhach said:

I remember sitting those way back seats. Lots of stuff got tossed out the back window for fun, lots of exhaust fumes go inhaled. 

On a trip to FLA my older brothers about 10 at the time tossed a giant rubber super ball out of the back window on a section of I95. I dont remember but they have told me stories. Apparently my father was not very happy.

This is a beautiful survivor, and I remember this color palette well. My Dad was a wagon fan and owned them his whole life.  He was never without one, whatever else he also had in the driveway.  I am also a wagon fan as I learned to drive in them. We had GM intermediates. Pontiac Tempest and Le Mans, then a big Chevy Bel Air with air! We even had a Suburban at one time. I've currently got a Flex and a Navigator. The big Mopar wagons were the status symbols of the suburbs before the SUV took over

• Like 3

14 hours ago, TAKerry said:

On a trip to FLA my older brothers about 10 at the time tossed a giant rubber super ball out of the back window on a section of I95. I dont remember but they have told me stories. Apparently my father was not very happy.

It's probably still bouncing. 

• Haha 5

Great car - colors of interior and exterior do not "bother" me but if it didn't have that vinyl wood grain the impact visually would be much easier to take. I too love station wagons, grew up in them and would own one again. I also agree that the $ is a bit optimistic.

• Like 1

A blast straight out of my youth. Seemed like every other family I knew had something similar to this in the driveway. My father had one of the full size Pontiac wagons with the rear glass that retracted up into the roof. He liked a lot and drove it daily for several years. 

PRETTY COOL WAGON!  I didn't even see many of these back in the day as a kid. and those production numbers explain why. To see one now in such (apparent) good original condition is something special. Hope it finds a good home.

Edited by JamesR (see edit history)

The last year before the NTSB stepped in and mandated that all cars could withstand the low mileage crash test. This was solved by adding a huge bumper on the front and rear (ruined the styling of many '73 autos IMO). Nice looking car, but the colors would not have been my first choice.