Fire Burns Up Concept Car after Pebble

On another note from the Pebble responses, we have a Tesla in Hershey that is lettered up like Dale Earnhardt's race car.  The roof is giant American flag.  I almost got into an accident as it passed me by.  OH MY!  I hope I can get a picture of it soon.  

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

On another note from the Pebble responses, we have a Tesla in Hershey that is lettered up like Dale Earnhardt's race car.  The roof is giant American flag.  I almost got into an accident as it passed me by.  OH MY!  I hope I can get a picture of it soon.  

No American flag on the roof of this Type 3...

Img 1163

I'm also sorry to hear about the owner's loss, and the loss to automotive history.

This put's an odd question in my mind: Is there any special value to the burnt remains of a significant or unique car like this? Or is it generally the same value as any other production car that suffers the same fate (i.e...basically nothing)? I'd guess the latter, but I don't know.

That concept car reminds me of the Ford Aerostar  and that series of space shuttle styled cars with the signature triangular window. In 1984 I was working closely with a lot of shuttle related projects. It was very quiet in our half million square foot plant that afternoon.

Ford had a whole advertising campaign planned on the shuttle and their advanced style cars. That was dropped with the shuttle tragedy.

2 hours ago, rocketraider said:

Any idea what caused the fire?

Hey, Glenn.

Looking at what is left of it I will be surprised if they will ever know the cause.

Though not an every day occurrence reported on this forum, there have been our share.  Most were reported to have been caused by bare wire sections rubbing metal when bouncing inside trailers.  Without even thinking I always disconnect my battery prior to hauling any car in my trailer.  Food for thought, folks.

• Thanks 1

I have been wondering about this myself. Part of my engineering background, coupled with some of the electrical expertise we were known for had us dealing with fire marshals and other official agencies after fires. Part of my own philosophy from very young has been "understanding leads to prevention". I have been known to become a bit of a pest in the aftermath of accidents and/or fires even when I was not involved in them in any way.

This particular loss is quite sad. The car was a special custom built future-visionary show piece. While maybe not particularly important in the grand scheme of things, it did hold a special place in automotive history. It may have never been "my thing", but I am still saddened by its destruction.

When I first heard of this fire, I wondered if the car was an electric car. However, being a 1979 I guess that it wasn't. 

Unoccupied car's fires usually are caused by electrical problems. And it follows that electric automobiles have a much greater potential for starting fires than do ICE cars.

• Like 1

My 69 vette managed an unattended double electrical switch  failure to catch on fire. The wiper motor switch decided to start on it,s own. The wipers are hidden under a vacuum operated door that has an interlock switch to prevent operation unless open. That switch also failed. 

The trapped wipers overheated the motor that started the fire.

Luckily the vette was in a parking lot.

I will never have a house that has an attached garage.....bob

• Like 2

An electrical fire in trailer 

wiring stops when there 

is no more current and

no more fuel.

it appears the fire started 

during daylight hours and

was still burning as dusk 

approached.

That looks like an aluminum