Rebuild or buy a crate engine?

I have a 1971 TVR Vixen that I am putting a 302 Ford in. I have an old 302 block that would need at least honing, new gaskets, new carb, new water pump new alternator, intake and other things and new aluminum heads. I am thinking it might be less expensive and less time to buy a turnkey engine. Looking for suggestions on the best place to buy a turnkey engine. I have machine shop that I use but he’s pretty backed up if I decide to go the rebuild route. Thanks

302 blocks of the late 80s are quite light for what they are. Much info about engine weights on the Internet is false, but those late 302s are a very serious contender when lightweight is what you are looking for. With aluminum heads, and carefully chosen parts I suspect it might even beat the Buick/Rover. You won't know for sure until you put the parts on a scale.

Something else to consider is a crate engine usually carries a manufacturer's warranty.

In all honesty, time you've gone thru finding a machinist and getting into his schedule, on top of finding a good core engine and the parts you want to use, you're equal or maybe a little ahead with the crate option.

Have you considered a supercharged 4.6? They seemed to motorvate Mustangs and Marauders down the drag strip pretty well 😈 and the modular engine is also pretty light. What does that TVR weigh?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, rocketraider said:

Something else to consider is a crate engine usually carries a manufacturer's warranty.

In all honesty, time you've gone thru finding a machinist and getting into his schedule, on top of finding a good core engine and the parts you want to use, you're equal or maybe a little ahead with the crate option.

Have you considered a supercharged 4.6? They seemed to motorvate Mustangs and Marauders down the drag strip pretty well 😈 and the modular engine is also pretty light. What does that TVR weigh?

The TVR is 2,000lbs with gas and me in it!

That is a lot of engine for not much car. I wired one that was on an MG chassis with the MG 4 cylinder engine. It was a competitive vintage racer at the time.

What is the current drive train?

The current engine is Triumph TR 6 engine, about 100hp and 60lbs heavier than a 302 with aluminum heads. The earlier TVR Tuscan had the same frame and body but could be ordered with the 302.

1 minute ago, H.Earl 1 said:

The current engine is Triumph TR 6 engine, about 100hp and 60lbs heavier than a 302 with aluminum heads. The earlier TVR Tuscan had the same frame and body but could be ordered with the 302.

I think you have the best answer - the 302.  Second best might be the 215 Buick/Rover like a TR8. 

• Like 1

It's your car and your choice, but this is an antique car forum where we restore to original.   Have fun, either way.

• Like 4

back in the 1960s one of the guys in our college sports car club had a job selling Griffith-

TVR with a Ford V-8

pretty fast at that time : Zero to 60 mph in 3.6 seconds claimed (some say 3.9 sec.), as I recall

Could be delivered with Ford 289, either "A" Code, or "K" Code

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TVR_Griffith_200

280px-TVR_Griffith_200_at_Brands_Hatch.jpg

• Like 1

A car builder like TVR that sourced engines from dozens of outside manufacturers might be hard to define what's original.

Any V8 or high-performance 4 or 6 is going to turn the car into a beast. Seems I remember people saying the Griffith was almost unmanageable. How does this Vixen size up against the Griffith?

6 hours ago, rocketraider said:

A car builder like TVR that sourced engines from dozens of outside manufacturers might be hard to define what's original.

Any V8 or high-performance 4 or 6 is going to turn the car into a beast. Seems I remember people saying the Griffith was almost unmanageable. How does this Vixen size up against the Griffith?

The Vixen chassis is about 3 inches longer than the Griffith making it a bit less twitchy. Also I have several other antique cars and I do keep them all original. I think keeping the engine choice to what could have been done at the time is ok on a car like this but that’s just my opinion.

• Like 2

AACA judging in classes is based on whether the car being judged could have come from the factory as presented, not that it actually came that way. If it could have come from the factory with the 302, then there is no problem with restoring it that way. Now, if you were looking to put in a small block Chevy that would be a different matter.

Lew Bachman

1957 Thunderbird

• Like 2

Its your TVR and you can do whatever you want. Unfortunately, an ever increasing number of these wonderful gems have become V8 conversions over the years. In fact its getting more difficult to find original spec TVR's (Vixen, 2500M, etc.) That is unfortunate since the Triumph engine was silky smooth and matched the chassis very well. Plenty of power, wonderful handling and a just so perfect exhaust note. It will also respond well to reasonable tuning. 

MANY years ago (44?), I sold a Cosworth Twin Cam Vega engine to a guy who was Convinced it was the right engine for his TVR. Kinda British, high-tech; and with dual Webers it made about 150hp. He was in love with it until he went to put the hood (bonnet) back on. Whoops, I guess he didn’t figure on the height. I never heard if he removed it or cut the hood…

• Haha 1

I have used crate engines on occasion.

You still have to get everything else.

Carb, exhaust, alternator, clutch or auto tranny to suit, water pump, ignition, on and on and on.

But you should be able to finish it all up right about the time that the long block warrantee times out.

If the car had a 302 originally then you might already have most of the bolt ons.

As for your original question, try Summit racing, they even have a 302 with most of the stuff I just listed. $7000.

1 hour ago, JACK M said:

You still have to get everything else.

Carb, exhaust, alternator, clutch or auto tranny to suit, water pump, ignition, on and on and on.

But you should be able to finish it all up right about the time that the long block warrantee times out.

🤣  🤣  🤣

I felt that...

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Haha 2