"Unseen?" Duesenberg photos?

Posted (edited)

I’m told they are up to 8 or 9 Model J’s and 70 Packards as  of this afternoon. 

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Walking into a semi-dark quonset building can have its surprising moments. Sliding into the driver seat and looking down at a Mustang shifter just adds to it.

Flattery.

a0018.JPG.ccbc068b8297a59beb831d232d884097.JPG

a0014.JPG.5fb28b329c18e882a26164a5caad71f0.JPG

• Like 1

Nothing better than checking the forum and seeing a long thread about Duesenberg Js.   Great stuff.

• Like 4

On 7/3/2024 at 6:06 AM, Matt Harwood said:

I wonder if a Ferrari … … will be as cherished or as valuable in 90 years? My gut says no.

Many already are.

How many $50+M Duesenberg’s you think there currently are ?

I won’t be surprised if there are many $100+M Ferraris in 10-15 years from today, but pretty sure not any in my garage. ☹️

• Like 2

No offense intended here. However, comparing the desirability of a Ferrari built in the past fifty years to a Duesenberg built over eighty to even a hundred years ago is the classic "apples and oranges". People that would have given anything to own a Ferrari if they could have, have had time to make their fortunes and can now satisfy their youthful desires. The Duesenberg is from an entirely another era! Is anybody alive today still driving a Duesenberg that actually drove one when they were new? How many people fifty years from now will want to have and drive an eighty to hundred year old Ferrari? What would be the attraction to someone that much further into the future?

The Duesenberg of the 1930s and the Ferrari of the recent past fifty years are impressive and incredible cars in very different ways. Performance and styling, engineering and the shear power are all in a totally different sense.

Of course the future may not be anything like what we expect it to be? There might be very few automobiles of any type being driven anywhere. It could happen that putting a price on luxuries won't be possible because money will have no value and luxuries for the most part won't exist? Any comparison could be moot.

No guarantees for the future.

And let me add, that I am really enjoying this thread, in spite of the fact that personally I prefer the model A Duesenbergs over the model J series cars. But that is my preference for brass and nickel era cars showing.

1 hour ago, wayne sheldon said:

No offense intended here. However, comparing the desirability of a Ferrari built in the past fifty years to a Duesenberg built over eighty to even a hundred years ago is the classic "apples and oranges". People that would have given anything to own a Ferrari if they could have, have had time to make their fortunes and can now satisfy their youthful desires. The Duesenberg is from an entirely another era! Is anybody alive today still driving a Duesenberg that actually drove one when they were new? How many people fifty years from now will want to have and drive an eighty to hundred year old Ferrari? What would be the attraction to someone that much further into the future?

The Duesenberg of the 1930s and the Ferrari of the recent past fifty years are impressive and incredible cars in very different ways. Performance and styling, engineering and the shear power are all in a totally different sense.

Of course the future may not be anything like what we expect it to be? There might be very few automobiles of any type being driven anywhere. It could happen that putting a price on luxuries won't be possible because money will have no value and luxuries for the most part won't exist? Any comparison could be moot.

No guarantees for the future.

And let me add, that I am really enjoying this thread, in spite of the fact that personally I prefer the model A Duesenbergs over the model J series cars. But that is my preference for brass and nickel era cars showing.

I hear you about the personal preference, but as far as I know, there are no $50+M Ferraris built in past 50 years (There might be some near $10M).

Most in the $50+M value range were built +/- 60 years ago and are in the "BIG" collection, many whom probably have a Duesenberg or a few also sharing the space.

Having never had an opportunity to drive or even ride in a Duesenberg, but having some comprehension of their mechanical, technical & performance prowess, I can assume they must be wonderful cars to drive.

OTOH, there are several other makes and models made in the same period that I personally find more intriguing and would probably rather have.

Also, while I'm fairly familiar with 50-55 year old Grand Touring Ferraris, I personally have much more interest in their 60-75 year old Grand Touring models (I'm not into race cars), all which in todays standards would be considered slow.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Someday, I shall post a video of me driving “The Tail of the Dragon” with three Model J’s. And then post the photos of the forty hours of rebuilding the braking system after it was cooked from the drive. Fortunately…….many people bring a spare car for the tour…….so they can continue on after such unexpected hi jinx. Isn’t it grand to have a garage with the depth of having more than one Duesenberg to take on vacation? After doing the Tail at speed, my arms were so sore I needed some liquid refreshment and a long nap.

IMG_2160.png

IMG_2161.png

IMG_2162.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, EmTee said:

Any broken wheels or missing trim rings...?

No broken spokes or snap rings. My car had later drop center rims. Before a run like this we check all the tires and wheels. We actually pulled over half way to check on someone else with a throttle issues and checked them again. Running hard under conditions like this requires good stewardship and safety checks often. 

• Like 3

I really need to find a tour near me and visit. My great uncle was a driver of two of these great cars back in the day. It would be nice to see what he was blessed with! I am amazed by the sound of the straight 8 in the video above!

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, AHa said:

I really need to find a tour near me and visit. My great uncle was a driver of two of these great cars back in the day. It would be nice to see what he was blessed with! I am amazed by the sound of the straight 8 in the video above!

Unfortunately, the events are never publicly announced. The members never post to social media. Thy attempt to go as low profile as possible. They value privacy as much as their cars. All the photos I posted are from years ago. I recommend you attend the Duesenberg club functions in Auburn Indiana Labor Day weekend. You can see stuff there that almost never gets out in the open. The show is free. Great bunch of car people. This is the year of the Duesenberg, so there will be a bunch of them on hand this year. We will on hand with something. 

• Like 4

Too hot to work outside so vegetating in front of the tv this afternoon. Just watched 'Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?' A better question would be What ever happened to the Duesenberg? Does anyone here know of its current ownership, obviously not asking for names, just if anyone knows about it.

My wifes boss has a very good friend with one, I have been after him for years to re-introduce me, I have met him a couple of times and he is a down to earth very nice gentleman. I am sure he would take me for a ride if I asked nicely.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

The car from the movie still exists if memory serves me correctly. I have no idea as to its location. Model J’s use to change hands very often, not so much the last five years………prices have skyrocketed and it’s very difficult to buy any J currently.

• Like 3

On 7/4/2024 at 9:37 PM, edinmass said:

Someday, I shall post a video of me driving “The Tail of the Dragon” with three Model J’s. And then post the photos of the forty hours of rebuilding the braking system after it was cooked from the drive. Fortunately…….many people bring a spare car for the tour…….so they can continue on after such unexpected hi jinx. Isn’t it grand to have a garage with the depth of having more than one Duesenberg to take on vacation? After doing the Tail at speed, my arms were so sore I needed some liquid refreshment and a long nap.

IMG_2160.png

IMG_2161.png

IMG_2162.png

How many times did you get passed by sport bikes? I rode that road both directions one day on a vintage Harley Davidson and I was in their way the whole time. Bet you were too!

• Thanks 1

There was an informal stop where the vehicles were spacing out...........so it wasn't too crowded and we ran it without interruption. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kramaton said:

How many times did you get passed by sport bikes? I rode that road both directions one day on a vintage Harley Davidson and I was in their way the whole time. Bet you were too!

Exactly the same thing for me on a late-model Harley touring bike.  Multiple crotch rockets were blowing by us across double-yellow lines, at speeds way above the posted limit.  Never did see a cop for the entire 3 runs we made.  Then we came across a huge tractor trailer weaving it's way through, having forced at least one Harley off the road, upending it in the stony ditch.  The place was like a free-for-all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, George Cole said:

Exactly the same thing for me on a late-model Harley touring bike.  Multiple crotch rockets were blowing by us across double-yellow lines, at speeds way above the posted limit.  Never did see a cop for the entire 3 runs we made.  Then we came across a huge tractor trailer weaving it's way through, having forced at least one Harley off the road, upending it in the stony ditch.  The place was like a free-for-all.

You are right. Last time I was there was probably 15 years ago. I don't take that route anymore. There are plenty of other roads down there just as nice.

• Like 2

Gotta do it once in a Model J if you have a chance............tons of fun. We drove it Balls to the Wall........and it was fantastic. The spectators thought it was hysterical. 

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Gotta do it once in a Model J if you have a chance............tons of fun. We drove it Balls to the Wall........and it was fantastic. The spectators thought it was hysterical. 

Probably not many people have the opportunity.  Consider yourself lucky.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Doing the Dragon with manual steering should earn you some kind of medal.