"Unseen?" Duesenberg photos?

Hello everyone! My Name is Brian. I don't want to bore you guys with all the other info! I think, I possibly might have photos of A BUNCH or Duesenberg's that to my research haven't shown up on here! Most will be, from what I believe, are the sale photos for the Duesenberg's in the Imperial Palace Auto Collection auction! I will post a couple photos! Some have what chassis number and engine number they had at the time; just thought I could help! I have about 20 to 30 more like this! I don't own Any pictures that I am posting.

Description says:

1936 Duesenberg J Rollston LWB Landaulet

(Chassis 2605, J-577)

1936-Duesenberg-J-Rollston-LWB-Landaulet-2605-J-577-05.webp

Edited by BrianCole (see edit history)
  • Like 8

Just now, wayne sheldon said:

Probably not the same car? But the second post looks a lot like the one Jack Passey had for several years back in the 1960s.

Thank you so much for catching the first one! I'm not tech Savey at all! ill look harder into my pictures to make sure that's right!

i totally agree with you it looks very similar to his car! 

5 minutes ago, BrianCole said:

I'm not tech Savey at all! ill look harder into my pictures to make sure that's right!

Regardless, most of us antique car crazies are like children! We LOVE pictures!

Thank you for sharing what you can.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Just now, wayne sheldon said:

Regardless, most of us antique car crazies are like children! We LOVE pictures!

Thank you for sharing what you can.

Don't we all love some old pics! I LOVE them to! Here are some more pictures, I have about 65 more cars to share!

1934 Duesenberg JN Rollston Convertible Sedan

(said to be Chassis 2601 

engine-J-570)

1934-Duesenberg-JN-Rollston-Conv-Sedan-2601-J-57005.webp

1934-Duesenberg-JN-Rollston-Conv-Sedan-2601-J-57006.webp

1934-Duesenberg-JN-Rollston-Conv-Sedan-2601-J-57001.webp

1934-Duesenberg-JN-Rollston-Conv-Sedan-2601-J-57004.webp

1934-Duesenberg-JN-Rollston-Conv-Sedan-2601-J-57002.webp

• Like 10

Oftentimes I can’t post photos of cars I service or caretake. This tour is a few years ago……..the “Duesenberg Torur” is a private association of collectors who do a tour every year somewhere in the US. Usually about 20-30 cars. Lots of fun. They average 250-350 miles a day……..and all the cars are driven the way they were ment to be. Dirt roads, stream crossings, fields with Buffalo manure, you name it…….its a great bunch of people. Notice the last photo…..the wild turkeys caused a slowdown in the Blue Ridge Parkway. JN-570 posted above is a regular on the tour. I’m fortunate to have driven JN-570 and two other JN’s.

IMG_2132.png

IMG_2133.png

IMG_2134.png

IMG_2135.png

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 2

This looks like the biggest job opportunity for riding mechanics since the 1937 Indianapolis 500.

• Haha 3

That’s Richie’s town car. Very nice car and a great owner. I have driven that one also………never pass up an opportunity to drive a J………EVER! More photos from a different Model J tour……..

IMG_2145.png

IMG_2146.png

IMG_2147.png

IMG_2148.png

• Like 7

5 hours ago, edinmass said:

Oftentimes I can’t post photos of cars I service or caretake. This tour is a few years ago……..the “Duesenberg Torur” is a private association of collectors who do a tour every year somewhere in the US. Usually about 20-30 cars. Lots of fun. They average 250-350 miles a day……..and all the cars are driven the way they were ment to be. Dirt roads, stream crossings, fields with Buffalo manure, you name it…….its a great bunch of people. Notice the last photo…..the wild turkeys caused a slowdown in the Blue Ridge Parkway. JN-570 posted above is a regular on the tour. I’m fortunate to have driven JN-570 and two other JN’s.

IMG_2132.png

IMG_2133.png

IMG_2134.png

IMG_2135.png

Awesome pictures of both rallies!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 28 Chrysler said:

Here is one that showed up at the Sunday Cars & Coffee in Vegas  a few years back. Car #2469

023.JPG

Awesome picture. I used to live in Las Vegas know this car pretty well!

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, edinmass said:

That’s Richie’s town car. Very nice car and a great owner. I have driven that one also………never pass up an opportunity to drive a J………EVER! More photos from a different Model J tour……..

IMG_2145.png

IMG_2146.png

IMG_2147.png

IMG_2148.png

What car is in the backround of the first picture? is that all original?

Yes, original and unrestored. Here is J-357 a Disappearing Top Murphy Roadster, with 37,000 original miles on it. The car is named Melvin. It’s a long story. One of the best J’s in the world. I was very fortunate to put thousands of miles on it………..all over the states and in Europe.  

IMG_0065.png

IMG_0066.png

• Like 14

Here are two photos of across the pond years ago……….J-357 driving on the wrong side of the road! Makes for interesting driving. For safety I actually speak out loud to myself to be sure I don’t make mistakes keeping in the correct lane and looking for road signs…….or when going through a round about…….you can clearly see the mileage on the dash.

IMG_0067.png

IMG_0068.png

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Yes, original and unrestored. Here is J-357 a Disappearing Top Murphy Roadster, with 37,000 original miles on it. The car is named Melvin. It’s a long story. One of the best J’s in the world. I was very fortunate to put thousands of miles on it………..all over the states and in Europe.  

IMG_0065.png

IMG_0066.png

J-357 looks incredible! Melvin is a great name! Is it all original? or has it been restored?

1930 Duesenberg J Murphy Boattail Speedster

(Said to be chassis 2317, J302)

I believe the first pictures are of it before restoration. 

The second set was from the auction

I believe they are both the same car! the only difference I see is the erxhaust manifold

1930-Duesenberg-J-Murphy-Boattail-Speedster-03.webp

1930-Duesenberg-J-Murphy-Boattail-Speedster-02.webp

1930-Duesenberg-J-Murphy-Boattail-Speedster-01.webp

1930-Duesenberg-J-Murphy-Boattail-Speedster-2317-J-302-04.webp

1930-Duesenberg-J-Murphy-Boattail-Speedster-2317-J-302-05.webp

1930-Duesenberg-J-Murphy-Boattail-Speedster-2317-J-302-01.webp

1930-Duesenberg-J-Murphy-Boattail-Speedster-2317-J-302-02.webp

1930-Duesenberg-J-Murphy-Boattail-Speedster-2317-J-302-07.webp

• Like 6

How did you get Leo’s photos? 357 is original………

• Like 1

I believe J-302 has recently been rerestored and then sold……….

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BrianCole said:

Did they restore it after Lyons? 

They made three…..if that’s Lyons, I’m thinking of a different car.

Here is Lyon’s today………the other was sold by RM a few years ago, restored and won a class at Pebble, then sold. This is Lyon’s garage in March of this year…………

IMG_5323.jpeg

IMG_5326.jpeg

IMG_5325.jpeg

IMG_5327.jpeg

IMG_5328.jpeg

IMG_5338.jpeg

IMG_5339.jpeg

IMG_5340.jpeg

IMG_5358.jpeg

IMG_5359.jpeg

IMG_5360.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, edinmass said:

They made three…..if that’s Lyons, I’m thinking of a different car.

Here is Lyon’s today………the other was sold by RM a few years ago, restored and won a class at Pebble, then sold. This is Lyon’s garage in March of this year…………

IMG_5323.jpeg

IMG_5326.jpeg

IMG_5325.jpeg

IMG_5327.jpeg

IMG_5328.jpeg

IMG_5338.jpeg

IMG_5339.jpeg

IMG_5340.jpeg

IMG_5358.jpeg

IMG_5359.jpeg

IMG_5360.jpeg

I am standing next to the Walker Lagrande in the second picture. Fantastic collection that is best experienced seeing it in person.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, BrianCole said:

What car is in the background of the first picture? is that all original?

Are you asking about the dark color with tan top Murphy Beverly missing paint on the hood behind the blue Murphy town car?

Duesenberg J tour.png

Yes, that is what he was asking about.......could be original or an older restoration.......or a bit of both. Car runs great. Owned by a very interesting guy.

• Thanks 1

For me, the limit of exposure to such cars will be as a spectator only.

But I really like the idea that there are some owners of them that will actually take them out on the road and drive them. And not leave them as "stuffed animals" on display somewhere.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Driving these cars on an open country road is hard to describe.......It's an honor and prividlige to be a caretaker and operate them on a regular basis. As a lifelong pre war car guy.........there is NOTHING better than a Duesenberg. The owners who actually drive them are very scarce, but the group of people we spend a week with every year driving these automobiles is the highlight of my year. Better than Hershey, Pebble, Amelia, or any show. It's the open road that really makes these cars shine. 

Below.....boys and their toys. The antics are the same as the Model T club.........just a different car. 

Photos are downtown Tulsa.....yes, we park them on the street and drive them everywhere.(It's a fire lane!) Including dirt roads. 

IMG_3373.jpeg

IMG_3372.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

The photos above were at 7am before leaving for a days touring. A few of us came up with the idea that a quarter inch of room between the bumpers would be hysterical.......you can see Kirmit's owner in the first photo exasperated......and he was a good sport. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

5 hours ago, edinmass said:

Driving these cars on an open country road is hard to describe.......It's an honor and prividlige to be a caretaker and operate them on a regular basis. As a lifelong pre war car guy.........there is NOTHING better than a Duesenberg. The owners who actually drive them are very scarce, but the group of people we spend a week with every year driving these automobiles is the highlight of my year. Better than Hershey, Pebble, Amelia, or any show. It's the open road that really makes these cars shine. 

Below.....boys and their toys. The antics are the same as the Model T club.........just a different car. 

Photos are downtown Tulsa.....yes, we park them on the street and drive them everywhere.(It's a fire lane!) Including dirt roads. 

IMG_3373.jpeg

IMG_3372.jpeg

Love the black walls!

Posted (edited)

People ask me what I do all day running a collection. Here is one thing I do on a regular basis. Prep cars for Pebble.........and in this case, install a correct tri set of autopulse fuel pumps in a Duesenberg so it can be judged. These are very high maintenance so we run a single modern Carter most of the time. The Tripp set up make so much noise is crazy. Anyway, did you know Duesenbergs had five, count them five fuel pumps from new? One electric in the tank, three on the frame rail also electric, and then a mechanical up on the engine. Lots of parts......and gaskets that leak. Each pump has 6 cork and 6 paper gaskets, times three just on the frame rail pump. Enjoy the photos........

IMG_6467 2.jpeg

IMG_6472.jpeg

IMG_6471.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

And now.....it's time for a drive in one of the top Duesenberg J's in the world with the pumps reinstalled. It's hard work, but someone as to do it!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

By late next week week I should have a multitude of 'unseen' Duesenberg in-the-wild photos to post.  Of the ~40 cars registered for the CCCA 10-14 July Ohio Mini CARavan (tour) and Grand Concours, no fewer than 5 are J-Models.  With any luck, Ed will post pictures as well. :)

• Like 1