PLEEEESE post more pre-1920 cars for sale on the not mine forum as well!

Hi Guys. We are the eyes of this forum nationwide. I am constantly amazed what our group digs up around the country. Please if you see some brass era parts or cars for sale post them here as well for our brass car members to digest and hopefully buy. Sincerely, George Albright, Ocala, Fla.  email  gnalbright@gmail.com  cell weekdays 352 843 1624

Edited by George Albright
grammar (see edit history)
  • Like 2

• George Albright changed the title to PLEEEESE post more pre-1920 cars for sale on the not mine forum as well!

Reminds me of a couple years ago when I ran into a local radio personality celebrating his birthday at Olive Garden. Passed on some well-wishes and the conversation turned to some of the new restaurants that had opened in town.

We had a good-sized Greek community here for years and this fellow's mama ran one of the many Greek-owned restaurants. There aren't any left ☹ and probably not more than 50 Greeks left in town, and they're all elderly.

I said "Alex. You're probably the guy to ask. When are we gonna get another Greek restaurant in town?" He reared back and said "well Glenn, the first thing we gotta do is get us some Greeks!"

So the analogy is the first thing we gotta do is find us some pre-1920 vehicles to post.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, rocketraider said:

So the analogy is the first thing we gotta do is find us some pre-1920 vehicles to post.

There's not as many pre-1920 car enthusiasts any more, much less those born during that era, who can relate to brass vehicles. If we find them, we'll post them.

Car Fit For A President. - Grundy Insurance

• Like 2

When I search, I filter for pre- 1954 to avoid being swamped with tri-five Chevys and later stuff. Just looking at the local CL at the moment, it shows 141  cars in that bracket. Of those, 39 were hot rods and 36 were trucks. I'd love to post older stuff...it just doesn't come up! If I see it, I always post it! 

• Like 4

You guys are all correct! Indeed we are a dying breed. For the record my two present cars are a 1954 Dodge Royal and a 1952 Nash Rambler Country Club hardtop. Both are superb condition. I love the fabulous 50s but still have a sweet spot for the brass. Go AACA

I have found that Hemming and sometimes Bring a Trailer to be the best source, but I get frustrated with everything being auctioned.  I suspect it’s the surviving family members of the car owner trying to liquidate.  I am into late teens and early twenties (touring cars), but it because of dad being an antique car nut when I was growing up.  I am not the norm for my age (61).  However, when I go to shows and cruise nights my cars are always a big hit.  People love seeing the old stuff, but no one wants to jump in and own one.

• Thanks 1

I’ve had decent success over the past three years buying mid 30s classics from long time family ownership.  Not super expensive high end cars but not Chevys, Dodges, or Fords either.  I think a lot of nice brass cars are going to be coming available from heirs at good prices in the next 5 to 10 years

On 4/30/2024 at 12:22 PM, George Albright said:

Hi Guys. We are the eyes of this forum nationwide. I am constantly amazed what our group digs up around the country. Please if you see some brass era parts or cars for sale post them here as well for our brass car members to digest and hopefully buy. Sincerely, George Albright, Ocala, Fla.  email  gnalbright@gmail.com  cell weekdays 352 843 1624

Like this one?  https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/cto/d/san-diego-1914-buick-b36/7735700246.html

6CE157E6-E56F-487B-8997-66FC79A0381D.png

AC4A914D-D932-4D0E-B704-35BC3B2431EB.png

• Like 3

That's interesting! I believe California began vehicle license and registration in 1916, so the seller might be right on the title, but there would be registration from at least the 20's and 30's. As previously discussed, California isn't awful when it comes to straightening things like this out. 

1 hour ago, Leif in Calif said:

That's interesting! I believe California began vehicle license and registration in 1916, so the seller might be right on the title, but there would be registration from at least the 20's and 30's. As previously discussed, California isn't awful when it comes to straightening things like this out. 

Calif's first state-issued **plate** was 1914, red with white characters.  For a number of years before that, one had to register the vehicle with the state and receive a number which the owner was required to display on the vehicle by fabricating a "plate" (perhaps leather) with that number.  I don't know when Calif began issuing title/ownership documents.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Grimy said:

Calif's first state-issued **plate** was 1914, red with white characters.  For a number of years before that, one had to register the vehicle with the state and receive a number which the owner was required to display on the vehicle by fabricating a "plate" (perhaps leather) with that number.  I don't know when Calif began issuing title/ownership documents.

George.......weren't you already driving when the quake hit in 1906? Didn't you have a plate on your car then? 😇

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, edinmass said:

George.......weren't you already driving when the quake hit in 1906? Didn't you have a plate on your car then? 😇

Yeah, I hand-carved the state-issue number into a piece of leather, you young whippersnapper!

• Haha 1