Help with Valuation of 1987 Volkswagen T3 - What is it Worth and ideas for upgrade?

Hey everyone,

I'm looking for some advice on valuing my 1987 Volkswagen T3. Here's a bit about the car:

• Make: Volkswagen
  • Model: T3
  • Year: 1987
  • Drivetrain: Rear-wheel drive
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Engine size: 1.6L (49 hp)
  • Doors: 3-door
  • Color: Green

The car is used but generally in good condition. It has well-maintained seats and the engine runs smoothly. However, there are some necessary jobs to do, like door upholstery.

I'm interested in getting an idea of the vehicle's value on average in its current condition and what you would recommend to increase its value through restoration or other enhancements.

What do you suggest for restoration, and are there any key upgrades I should consider that might boost its value?

I'm also considering adding leather seats and a music system. Do these upgrades make sense, and are they likely to increase the car's value? What other upgrades would you suggest? I appreciate any insights from the community! Thanks!

D855256-_www89ee-e1632141209873.jpg

D855263-_www89ee.jpg

Edited by CaffreyEST
add information (see edit history)

Location Location Location! Guessing because of the samples your show, you are not in the USA. If that is the case, think we would be hard pressed to know what that model's market would be in your location. You might be better served looking for a chat room or forum that deals with cars of that vintage/model closer to your location. Posting actual photos of your car not some found on the internet would add credibility to your questions as we would not be able to value something that we can't see anyway. 

Edited by Mark Gregush (see edit history)

1 minute ago, Mark Gregush said:

Location Location Location! Guessing because of the samples your show, you are not in the USA. If that is the case, think we would be hard pressed to know what that model's market would be in your location. You might be better served looking for a chat room or forum that deals with cars of that vintage/model closer to your location. Posting actual photos of your car not some found on the internet would add credibility to your questions as we would not be able to value something that we can't see. 

Thanks, photos are actual, the model in the picture is my vechile. 

Just now, CaffreyEST said:

Thanks, photos are actual, the model in the picture is my vechile. 

Great! Still, people in the USA are not going to know YOUR market or what upgrades you are thinking about, would bring the most bang for the buck over there. Best of luck. 

7 minutes ago, Mark Gregush said:

Great! Still, people in the USA are not going to know YOUR market or what upgrades you are thinking about, would bring the most bang for the buck over there. Best of luck. 

Thanks for the advice and well wishes! I'm curious about the market for similar cars in the US and whether it would make sense, in case of selling, to ship my Volkswagen T3 to the US and sell it at local auctions.

Given that my car is a 1987 Volkswagen T3, rear-wheel drive, manual transmission, 1.6L diesel engine, and 3-door design, I'm wondering if there's a demand for this model in the US. Would shipping it across the Atlantic and selling it at US auctions be a profitable move?

I'm also considering keeping the car for 20-30 years, upgrading it over time, and maybe passing it down to my kids. I'd like to know if these classic Volkswagen models are generally appreciated in the US and if there might be a market for them even after a few decades. Any insights on this would be appreciated! Thanks!

1 hour ago, CaffreyEST said:

I'm interested in getting an idea of the vehicle's value on average in its current condition and what you would recommend to increase its value through restoration or other enhancements.

"Restorations" won't add any value unless the restoration is to make it a run able/drive able vehicle. Most restorations done via professional shops will put you further in the hole, IE paying for materials, labor and any other incidentals  will cost much more than the actual recoverable value of the vehicle.

Enhancements, typically are detractants, and depending how much bling you add can and will narrow your resale market and make it a much more difficult sale.

VW and VW vans have a real cult following, most of them are looking for as close to original as possible, the cult market is most likely your target audience..  As I see it, with those huge wagon wheel rims and tires, you already have lost some audience for buyers who are looking for originality. Those are out of place, don't look right and make it look like you just pulled it out of a "Hot Wheels" package..  Might work if you are after the "RestoMod" crowd, but even going after that market a 49 HP diesel is going to be a turn off for sure, they will be looking for something that tears up the pavement and burns the tires down to the rim excitement..

We own an '84 gas Westfalia camper and my personal taste is original, original, original.  As said earlier in this discussion, customizations are to an owners preference so I would not bother to do anything.  Super clean it and polish it and then sell it.

As for coming to the US to sell, the diesels were not that well received because they were considered underpowered and basically could not get out of their own way.  I have heard of a number of them being switched to gas or even Subaru engines to get more power and reliability. 

Campers have the real value and the people haulers not so much.  Just my thoughts and we have owned our bus for about 35 years.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)

Get rid of those silly wheels and join a VW club.  That's your market as well as best info on value.

Terry

• Like 1

It's very hard to improve the value of a car without spending more than you can get out of it. Best plan, if it is clean and in good repair you should get a decent price. You mention door panels, if the interior is in good shape except for a ripped door panel it will pay to fix just the bad part.

I don't know about the legal requirements in your area. But here, a car must pass a safety inspection before it can be registered for the road. Having this inspection certificate can add a lot to the desirability, and price while it does not cost much if the vehicle does not need any repairs. Therefore, if the car is good it pays to get the safety inspection.

Don't try to squeeze every penny out of it or you could be waiting forever for a sucker to buy it. Don't put too much into it, price it on the low side and it will sell. It is a big mistake to spend a lot of money then think "I have to get my money back" maybe you do but the buyer doesn't have to give it to you.

As for the price look around the ads in your area and see what similar units are going for.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Terry Bond said:

Get rid of those silly wheels and join a VW club.  That's your market as well as best info on value.

Terry

There are no real VW clubs anymore. Vintage Volkswagen club of America is just a shadow club, they do have chapters, but they are heavily into mods and do not reflect the mission statement.  

6 hours ago, CaffreyEST said:

Hey everyone,

I'm looking for some advice on valuing my 1987 Volkswagen T3. Here's a bit about the car:

• Make: Volkswagen
  • Model: T3
  • Year: 1987
  • Drivetrain: Rear-wheel drive
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Engine size: 1.6L (49 hp)
  • Doors: 3-door
  • Color: Green

The car is used but generally in good condition. It has well-maintained seats and the engine runs smoothly. However, there are some necessary jobs to do, like door upholstery.

What do you suggest for restoration, and are there any key upgrades I should consider that might boost its value?

I'm also considering adding leather seats and a music system. Do these upgrades make sense, and are they likely to increase the car's value? What other upgrades would you suggest? I appreciate any insights from the community! Thanks!

D855256-_www89ee-e1632141209873.jpg

D855263-_www89ee.jpg

The first thing to be concerned with is change the above into something like this;

Seite02.jpg

if you want to accessorize the van do it the only way with VW accessories like this,

Seite12.jpg

• Like 1

My daily driver is a T3.

In the USA (that's important) their value is all over the place.  The fact yours is in Estonia I'm sure will have a huge impact on potential buyers and price.

So many variables. Water or Air cooled. Camper or Transport. Condition.  Etc.

You've already posted your vehicle on the Samba.  More exports on VWs there than here - trust their assessment.

But the only real way to find its true value is to put it on the market and see what the market will bear.

Welcome to the site. I know nothing about vw's but I like the looks of what you have done with yours. Much better than stock in my opinion. Value, no idea on the 'newer' models. If they ever start getting stupid prices like the brazilian samba buses I know where there are about a dozen of them parked! Good luck with whatever you decide to do with it.