1910-12 Oldsmobile Limited

12 hours ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

Just found this among my "stuff"!

Limited Classified ad.jpg

The 90 hp roadster advertised has 29 inch wheels (38X4-1/2).  Wouldn't that make it an Autocrat not a Limited?  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Most impressive vehicle I’ve ever seen. What a great day I had viewing the Limited and talking to @dpeeler

Without him letting me know about this event I would’ve missed out. My first Concours event was a great impression thanks to him and his wife. …The car too!

IMG_0535.jpeg

IMG_0533.jpeg

IMG_0530.jpeg

IMG_0520.jpeg

IMG_0519.jpeg

IMG_0526.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Do I see an electric light bulb inside that brass lamp? Beautiful car but one may ask why bother to electrify a car of this quality unless it was driven on the road a lot?

Word now has it that we will see another Limited being shown for the first time soon at an AACA show...it is registered right now.  So happy this great car is being recognized so much.

Today we got a title for our 1908 Limited Prototype that was signed by Barney Pollard!!  It is a treasure to have his signature and to know that at one time he owned it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

Word now has it that we will see another Limited being shown for the first time soon at an AACA show...it is registered right now.  So happy this great car is being recognized so much.

Today we got a title for our 1908 Limited Prototype that was signed by Barney Pollard!!  It is a treasure to have his signature and to know that at one time he owned it.

Wow, what a significant piece of history. I hope that will be displayed with the car. I'll never forget the first time I saw Barney's cars all hung up by the back axles. Was the Olds one of them?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, raybelf said:

The Oldsmobile Limited had side lamps that were both Kerosene and Electric from the factory.

Ray Belf

Really! Learned something new today. Thanks.

• Like 2

Ray and his family probably have more seat time in a Limited than anyone else on the planet!  Their Limited has been on countless tours over the years so yes he is correct about the combination lights.

Terry, we know that Barney had several Olds including another 1908 Touring and a Curved Dash (I bought it from his daughter). When I first heard about our car it was apart in Texas.  Not sure what the condition was when it was sold to Glenn.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

What is interesting about this car is there is no fixed glass windshield, or 'A'-pillars to support the front section of the top.  

Craig

On 5/5/2024 at 8:03 PM, BobinVirginia said:

Earned

IMG_7741.jpeg

IMG_1898.jpeg

It is nice to see a brass era car getting top honors at a Concours.  I had the opportunity to see the car at Charlotte. To see the car in person really underscores the level of detail and outstanding workmanship that produced this restoration.   

Congratulations to David for a well-deserved Best of Show win!  

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

Here's a photo of the 1908 Limited prototype in the AACA Headquarters lobby. A beautiful restoration of a significant car - worth going by and seeing it in person when in Hershey!

AM11_r205_01.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@dpeeler

I really need to do that! I’m really a greenhorn with big brass cars. Now that I’ve discovered the big cubic inch tall tire cars, I’m hooked!! 
I’ve always liked the 59-64 era super stock big cubic inch full size cars. Now I realize this very interesting concept happened in the brass era. They’re very interesting cars. There’s so much automotive history that folks my age don’t know about. 

• Like 1

It is true, this years Celebration of Brass IV saw 4 Oldsmobile Limiteds in attendance! We also had three Brass Era Simplexes! 

I am the President of the Museum of the Horseless Carriage who hosted, we are very happy with how our event came together this year. 

IMG_7477.jpg

IMG_7476.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4

Matt G, Oh boy, ya done good!

I sure wish I could have been closer and able to attend. Just looking at the photos it looks to rival some of the best I have ever seen! And years ago, I saw a lot.

• Like 2

Matt, I agree "you done good"...been busy but the project we were working on is still viable.  Sometime in September I will make a visit.  I will have to post a picture we took in front to Meadowbrook Hall with about a half dozen or more Limiteds .  I'll try to do that this week.

• Like 2

These cars have a tendency to go into private museums so to see four of them at a show is amazing. I had no idea four of the cars existed and now it is suggested there are more? It would be really neat if some history of the existing cars could be shared. I understand the history of the ones Barney Pollard had is probably not available. How is it known the 1908 is a prototype?

• Like 1

So here is another grouping of Limiteds at the old Meadowbrook Concours.  From left to right:  Eby race car, Belf car, Nethercutt limousine, ??brain cramp, National Automobile Museum, Oldsmobile Division

Barney is believed to have owned at the very least the 1911 Oldsmobile that Olds Division owned and also the 1908 prototype.  We are very fortunate that the title bearing his name for the 1908 is now in our possession.  The 1908 was in a collection in Texas at one time and included a manufacturers license plate from NJ where Olds Motor Works did their testing.  The license plate jives with other ads and material from Olds history and of course it has a unique serial number.

Yes there are even more Limiteds out there not included in the two composites on this thread.

limiteds in Michigan.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

What a line up! Very impressive to say the least. Thank you for posting.

• Like 1

Matt failed to mention that the Blue Oldsmobile Limited Roadster is on loan to the Museum of the Horseless Carriage and can be seen in our space at the Steam Barn at the Gilmore Car Museum until next July! So plan your road trip now!

It was quite a treat to have these four Limiteds together at the MHC's Celebration of Brass!

Keep in mind next year's Celebration will be held July 17th-19th with the HCCA National Tour July 15th-17th. Celebration of Brass V's feature vehicles are Steam Vehicles and we are expecting 25-30 steam vehicles to be on display along with the 100+ other pre-1916 vehicles. 

IMG_5570.jpg

IMG_5571.jpg

IMG_5573.jpg

IMG_5574.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Kblake said:

Matt failed to mention that the Blue Oldsmobile Limited Roadster is on loan to the Museum of the Horseless Carriage and can be seen in our space at the Steam Barn at the Gilmore Car Museum until next July! So plan your road trip now!

It was quite a treat to have these four Limiteds together at the MHC's Celebration of Brass!

Keep in mind next year's Celebration will be held July 17th-19th with the HCCA National Tour July 15th-17th. Celebration of Brass V's feature vehicles are Steam Vehicles and we are expecting 25-30 steam vehicles to be on display along with the 100+ other pre-1916 vehicles. 

IMG_5570.jpg

IMG_5571.jpg

IMG_5573.jpg

IMG_5574.jpg

IMG_5575.jpg

IMG_5576.jpg

IMG_5577.jpg

IMG_5578.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

So here is another grouping of Limiteds at the old Meadowbrook Concours.  From left to right:  Eby race car, Belf car, Nethercutt limousine, ??brain cramp, National Automobile Museum, Oldsmobile Division

Barney is believed to have owned at the very least the 1911 Oldsmobile that Olds Division owned and also the 1908 prototype.  We are very fortunate that the title bearing his name for the 1908 is now in our possession.  The 1908 was in a collection in Texas at one time and included a manufacturers license plate from NJ where Olds Motor Works did their testing.  The license plate jives with other ads and material from Olds history and of course it has a unique serial number.

Yes there are even more Limiteds out there not included in the two composites on this thread.

limiteds in Michigan.jpg

Steve - I believe the touring car you weren't sure of belongs to Stan Lucas. What an elegant setting for the six! What was the date of the photo?

• Like 1

David, I think you are right, I suggested that to Tim but he did not think so but something rings a bell in that regard.  That was circa 1997.  Could be a year before or after but definitely that era as they celebrated Olds 100th Anniversary.  Meadowbrook was a great venue except when they asked me to drive the GM Limited and I had to navigate the crowds for the style show.  It was a work out!

• Thanks 1

Here's an undated photo of the Lucas car (an early 1911 Touring) at Pebble. I believe that Stan became the lucky new owner in August, 2000 (Christie's auction) so not sure who might have owned it when the Meadowbrook photo was taken.

416671.jpg

• Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, West Peterson said:

Apparently, only the Belfs know how to clean tires on a Limited. Oh... and I believe the AACA car has clean tires, too. 

West - We're told the "white powder" is a mold release compound used in the manufacturing process and seems to be a common problem with the last run of tires from Universal. You can clean it and it looks great for a short while then reappears... no magic solution yet! The Belf car, AACA car and a few others are lucky to have the previous Firestone tires that not only look so much better but don't get that dirty look.

• Thanks 1

As long as Mr. Peterson is opining on tires.  I'll share this tidbit.  The tires on the white 1911 Olds Limited owned by GM are now at least 74 years old!!!  When I worked for Olds in the early 1970's I had an occasion to go to the Exhibit & Display building.  It is where they did the displays for auto shows, etc. but also where the small collection of Division antique cars were unceremoniously stored. There was a pile of wood there and I noticed some tires in wrapping peaking out so I checked one and it had shipping label from Joe Loecy in Ohio in 1950!  In the early 1990's we went to inspect this car which they called a 1910 after it was heavily damaged at a theme park.  Story for another day!  We got filthy but lo and behold those same tires had never left the spot I found them many years ago. They were useable and of course being the Firestones added to the car.  Yep, there is some checking on the tires but they have held up remarkably since the restoration was finished in 1996.

Oh and David, do not take offense to West's comments...he has his own unique sense of humor! :) 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, dpeeler said:

West - We're told the "white powder" is a mold release compound used in the manufacturing process and seems to be a common problem with the last run of tires from Universal. You can clean it and it looks great for a short while then reappears... no magic solution yet! The Belf car, AACA car and a few others are lucky to have the previous Firestone tires that not only look so much better but don't get that dirty look.

I understand, and I apologize if I offended.

I just put a set of new tires on my Avalanche and they had the same problem (also Firestone). Here's what I've found to make them look really good. Leaves a really nice sheen, and it doesn't wash off. Don't get it on paint. It'll come off, but it's a lot of extra work.

IMG_4755.JPG

• Like 1

West - No offense taken nor apologies needed! The problem is apparently more common than I would have thought and the only suggestion we've had made up til now is to clean the tires with kerosene! I like you're approach better - will let you know how it works!   Thanks

Edited by dpeeler (see edit history)
  • Like 2

For a cars that have wide-open front ends, such as brass cars and early Classics, I highly suggest doing this to both front and back sides of the tires.

Now... back to our regular scheduled Olds Limited programming.

• Like 2