Potter Trunk Question

We have a Potter trunk that the original owner's family said it was on his 1937 Chevrolet coupe. But , thanks to this forum; now we know it was a 1932 accessory.  The Green Potter decal is still inside. 38 inches wide, 12 inches deep, sorry I don't have the height here tonight.

Question is: What other applications would this trunk be compatible with?  I believe it is too wide for a Model A Ford.

Is there a book or listing for these trunks?

intimeold

IMG_1841[1].JPG

IMG_1839[1].JPG

Edited by intimeold (see edit history)

Potter Trunks were aftermarket accessories for many models of cars in the 1930's.   Ford Dealers sold many of them that were made to fit to the back of the body contours.   Search for authorized accessories for the 37 Chevrolets, to find out if it's correct for your car.   Many were made as non-specific vehicle accessory items.

• Like 1

I have seen luxury cars of the latter '30's equipped with accessory trunks, but never a Chevy, Ford, or Plymouth. Were they available for the low priced cars as factory or dealer options, or exclusively after market/DIY installations?  In my opinion, they really spoiled the overall design of the car. Might as well attach a U-Haul.

https://thumbor-production-auction.hemmings.com/610748/81568741.jpg

26 minutes ago, Dave Mellor NJ said:

A 37 Chevy coupe already has a trunk built in. It seems like putting that trunk on is like wearing a belt and suspenders

I resemble that remark!😁

Some folks just need more "trunk".    If we, Mom, Dad and seven at the time, went on a trip, the trunk was FULL. Looking back, I am sure they wished for extra sometimes.  Mullins trailers, anyone?  

Ben

• Like 1

The 1937 Chevy factory accessory list is too long to copy here, but shows no external trunk was available.

If the past owner of this trunk claims it was from a '37 Chevy, it was probably installed as an after-sale add-on on a body style that did not have an opening trunk lid, such as the more rare "slant back" sedans or rumble seat coupes/convertibles.

image.jpeg.d733e69a3b099164fdb5a90cfbebae89.jpegimage.jpeg.be7376c902c6dbfcdffb563433053ab1.jpeg1937 Chevrolet-07

I would have no problem adding the trunk when travelling for the extra room (heck, how many times have you seen a new suburban with a pack on the roof rack? Like really, is there not enough room inside?). But just to tool around town its a bit of overkill and not particularly attractive or generally pleasing to the overall lines of most cars.

On 3/21/2024 at 12:10 AM, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

I resemble that remark!😁

Some folks just need more "trunk".    If we, Mom, Dad and seven at the time, went on a trip, the trunk was FULL. Looking back, I am sure they wished for extra sometimes.  Mullins trailers, anyone?  

Ben

You got 9 people in a coupe?

Look at this. A stock '37 flat back sedan with luggage rack and  dual factory side mounts! It is also right hand drive. 

image8-jpeg.5966184

image5.jpeg

image4.jpeg

image3.jpeg

image6-jpeg.5966185

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/1937-chevy-rhd-4-door-master-deluxe-no-trunk-dual-side-mount-spares.1310226/

P.S. A couple more '37's with side mounts:   (don't know if they have luggage racks)

unnamed (1).jpgdownload (2).jpg

Edited by Dave Wells (see edit history)

5 hours ago, Dave Mellor NJ said:

You got 9 people in a coupe?

😄.  No, no.   That WOULD have been something.    I was inspired by the picture Crusty Trucker posted. We were crowed, though.  The last such,  I was 15 and Carl, the 7th was an infant. Smaller ones on somebody's lap!

Ben

On 3/20/2024 at 10:06 PM, Crusty Trucker said:

I have seen luxury cars of the latter '30's equipped with accessory trunks, but never a Chevy, Ford, or Plymouth. Were they available for the low priced cars as factory or dealer options, or exclusively after market/DIY installations?  In my opinion, they really spoiled the overall design of the car. Might as well attach a U-Haul.

A 1933-1934 PotterTrunk.jpg.505f049033ecd49f44724d3749ab03f7.jpgPotterTrunk.jpg.505f049033ecd49f44724d3749ab03f7.jpgFord authorized accessory was the Potter Trunk, made to fit the Tudor, Fordor and the Victoria body styles

On 3/21/2024 at 8:01 AM, TAKerry said:

I would have no problem adding the trunk when travelling for the extra room (heck, how many times have you seen a new suburban with a pack on the roof rack? Like really, is there not enough room inside?). But just to tool around town its a bit of overkill and not particularly attractive or generally pleasing to the overall lines of most cars.

They destroy the lines of the car.   If you are taking the car on a tour then cool, otherwise no. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/18/2024 at 3:05 PM, intimeold said:

We have a Potter trunk that the original owner said it was on his 1937 Chevrolet coupe.  The Green Potter decal is still inside. 38 inches wide, 12 inches deep, sorry I don't have the height here tonight.

Question is: What other applications would this trunk be compatible with?  I believe it is too wide for a Model A Ford.

Is there a book or listing for these trunks?

intimeold

IMG_1841[1].JPG

IMG_1839[1].JPG

Hello Intimeold,

What you have there is a factory accessory trunk for a 1932 Chevrolet. You are missing all the proper hardware for the trunk and the rack assembly. It was used on the four door, the two door and the phaeton body styles only. At one time the latches and the decal was reproduced. I hope this helps.  

Image (2).jpg

Image.jpg

432924447_298724973314199_1795844074583763286_n.jpg

tumblr_oemqz1tMVo1rkxyk6o2_1280.jpg

Uncle Frank Bubar & car Front.jpeg

• Like 2

9 hours ago, E-116-YH said:

Hello Intimeold,

What you have there is a factory accessory trunk for a 1932 Chevrolet. You are missing all the proper hardware for the trunk and the rack assembly. It was used on the four door, the two door and the phaeton body styles only. At one time the latches and the decal was reproduced. I hope this helps.  

Image (2).jpg

Image.jpg

432924447_298724973314199_1795844074583763286_n.jpg

tumblr_oemqz1tMVo1rkxyk6o2_1280.jpg

Uncle Frank Bubar & car Front.jpeg

WOW, Thank You We have had that trunk for years and never had a definite account of what it fit.

Your pictures really help.  

intimeold

On 3/20/2024 at 7:06 PM, Crusty Trucker said:

Plymouth in 34 offered both an add on trunk and a trunk rack, even with dual sidemounts.  My 34 PE came originally equipped with dual sidemounts and a trunk rack.  One of these days I will paint the trunk I have for the rack and use it for long trips.

34PlymPotterSpare.jpg

34petrunkrack.jpg