Anybody go to Amelia Island?

Ed and I are here. Actually, I’m about to get on a plane to go home. Weather this week was not great in Amelia. Also, I’m sure many you are aware that RM moved its auction and started a show in Miami this weekend. Which I think took a bit of an of the edge off the show.

broad Arrow and Gooding had very good sales. Some surprisingly strong results.

As usual there are a lot of interesting cars out on the field. Although not as many of the big pre-war Classics that I’m interested in as they are in Miami.

IMG_9719.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

I wasn’t as much of an avid picture, taker, as I usually am. But here are a few. I wanted this C28 Voisin so badly I could taste it. Motor partially disassembled, some pieces missing, but insanely spectacular car. It more or less sold for peanuts relative to what they have sold for in the past. 

IMG_4252.jpeg

IMG_4251.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

I have a friend who has a deposit on a Rivian. In fact, he was one of the very first in line. But because he doesn’t have a service center in his state, they have not delivered it yet. He is currently a Tesla owner. So we got to take a Ryan pick up for a ride. It was actually fairly impressive about 80% of the interior space of an F150. It has a smaller bed. With The extended batteries, good weather, and flat roads. It’ll go forward 420 miles. 

IMG_4284.jpeg

Thanks A.J. for the photos. We all have our own personal likes and interest in cars. Post war boy racer types just do not do anything for me - but I also like 4 door hardtops, station wagons and 4 door sedans in postwar cars. Looking at the photo of the polished alumoslab I see in the right of that photo the nose of a 1955(?) Chrysler in black - THAT is my kind of car for that era. Yes I am a fogey. 😬

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Walt G said:

Thanks A.J. for the photos. We all have our own personal likes and interest in cars. Post war boy racer types just do not do anything for me - but I also like 4 door hardtops, station wagons and 4 door sedans in postwar cars. Looking at the photo of the polished alumoslab I see in the right of that photo the nose of a 1955(?) Chrysler in black - THAT is my kind of car for that era. Yes I am a fogey. 😬

Walt, you are correct. 55C 300.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, alsancle said:

I have a friend who has a deposit on a Rivian. In fact, he was one of the very first in line. But because he doesn’t have a service center in his state, they have not delivered it yet. He is currently a Tesla owner. So we got to take a Ryan pick up for a ride. It was actually fairly impressive about 80% of the interior space of an F150. It has a smaller bed. With The extended batteries, good weather, and flat roads. It’ll go forward 420 miles. 

IMG_4284.jpeg

Last June, I was given a (my first ever) ride in a modern full electric car/vehicle.

It was a new (allegedly) +/-$300K, top line model of “Lucid”.

Soon after settling in and take-off, my “chauffeur” (a friend and an executive at Apple who had the car on loan for two weeks in exchange for his feedback) asked “What do you think (about the car) ?” and my immediate response was “This is not something for real car guys. This “thing” is made for tech nerds and probably one of the last evolutionary steps before self driving cars become commonplace and eventually mandatory”, to which my “chauffeur” laughed and said “Yes, you’re right”.

Obviously, I’m not their target audience and wouldn’t buy one for $10K, but that Voisin in earlier posts would definitely interest me too.

Edited by TTR (see edit history)
  • Like 3

My Jag was supposed to be on the field today.  With 100% chance of rain/thunderstorms predicted, I decided to leave it in the trailer.  Over the past year or so, it and I have been soaked multiple times at shows.  The Jag has no door weatherstripping...never did. so the inside gets drenched as well.  Water collects inside the doors and takes weeks to dry out.  If I keep abusing it that way, it's not going to last very long.  Hated to take a rain check today, but am glad I did.

George

• Like 6

3 hours ago, alsancle said:

I wasn’t as much of an avid picture, taker, as I usually am. But here are a few. I wanted this C28 Voisin so badly I could taste it. Motor partially disassembled, some pieces missing, but insanely spectacular car. It more or less sold for peanuts relative to what they have sold for in the past. 

IMG_4252.jpeg

A lot of really unique car for the dollar, for those wondering: 

https://bid.goodingco.com/lots/view/1-8MNOGQ/1935-avions-voisin-type-c28-clairire-berline

Screenshot2024-03-03at2_24_48PM.png.851681c4e64c7682d9da2dc31867c22d.png

• Like 1

Don’t think the rain showed up until about 11 AM? At which point I was checking out of my hotel room. But nothing messes up the car show like rain. And I can’t imagine what that golf course would look like if it really got soaked.

• Like 2

Just now, 1935Packard said:

A lot of really unique car for the dollar, for those wondering: 

https://bid.goodingco.com/lots/view/1-8MNOGQ/1935-avions-voisin-type-c28-clairire-berline

Screenshot2024-03-03at2_24_48PM.png.851681c4e64c7682d9da2dc31867c22d.png

Orin, it is a sleeve valve straight six around 110 hp. But it was partially disassembled with missing parts. So you should assume 100 K right there. The interior was wrong. In the car was a much older restoration. But it was unbelievably cool.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Don’t think the rain showed up until about 11 AM? At which point I was checking out of my hotel room. But nothing messes up the car show like rain. And I can’t imagine what that golf course would look like if it really got soaked.

Correct AJ.  But if I had put it on the field this a.m., it would have been stuck there for the duration...possibly in more ways than one. :(  And then it would also take several weeks to dry out the 77-year old carpet and leather.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, alsancle said:

This was in the tour. And out on the field in the barn fine class. It is a 428 four-speed car from the factory.

Tom Cotter's old station wagon.

• Like 3

I remember seeing this wagon at a show in Xenia Ohio in the summer of 1982. I remember thinking that I had never seen one like it. Now I know why, it was the only one built!

Neat car.

Kevin

• Like 1

We were directly behind the wagon on the tour and every time he went around a corner he would launch a hubcap.  We stopped and grabbed one of them (and almost got rear ended by a California Spyder) but two others ended up with the alligators.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, George Smolinski said:

And the moon is made of green cheese.

I have a friend with the big version of the Tesla SUV.   He also owns 2 Model J Duesenbergs so he has a wide variety of interests in cars.   He said given 60 plus degrees, not a lot of passengers 60 mph and flat land he can cover 300 miles in his Telsa.   But if you start messing with any of those 3 attributes of the drive things go down.

• Like 1

I never use the phrase "once in a lifetime opportunity" because there is almost always a shot at something similar within at least a few years.  I believe this is something that I'll never get a another shot at.

image.jpeg.b3091504ddb6e840cde9cd051cd74567.jpeg

image.jpeg.998d9434f0ec8a15acc21fbd4f77c95e.jpegimage.jpeg.dcdd89f9831dcc78983ace5ffa7acfa6.jpegimage.jpeg.dffbcd99d096006be71209b6eb608345.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

AJ, if someone like Mullin decided not to make it run (or couldn't), perhaps that's all you need to know about it...

Believe me, Matt, that thought crossed my mind.

But remember, with an unlimited amount of time and money you can do anything.

• Like 2