Chickasha Pre War Swap Meet - March 15th & 16th

My brother and I were just talking about going to Chickasha (and surrounding areas) this spring to see family and explore family history. It would be nice if our trip could coincide with this event. I don't do pre-war, but if it's open to the public, it would be a great sight seeing opportunity for an afternoon.  Thanks for letting us know, Trulyvintage.

1 hour ago, JamesR said:

My brother and I were just talking about going to Chickasha (and surrounding areas) this spring to see family and explore family history. It would be nice if our trip could coincide with this event. I don't do pre-war, but if it's open to the public, it would be a great sight seeing opportunity for an afternoon.  Thanks for letting us know, Trulyvintage.

You are welcome !

There is a bit of everything 

for everyone - especially if

you are willing to do some

digging.

I like this meet because it

is family owned & operated.

Jim

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Trulyvintage said:

Gates will not be open to 

vendors on Thursday as

In the past.

Gates open for vendors

Friday at 7 am.

Jim

2yr ago maybe 3yr, there was a vendor space with a trailer loaded with parts covered with a tarp. I always get there early in the morning, so i kept an eye on the covered trailer. When i noticed someone pulling the tarp back, i headed to him. It was 3 guys from San Diego, Ca, their game was to buy a vendor space, so they could go thru all the other vendors parts, before open to the public. They were not there to sell anything.

Edited by pont35cpe (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Sounds like a plan. You see that every year at Hershey and Pate although usually the parts purchased on set up day are for sale by a different vendor for double the original price.  Just an example of capitalism. 

• Like 2

My wife’s family is from Oklahoma. We went a couple times to visit family and mostly graveyards while there.

You better be there Thursday because on Friday people are packing up and lord knows if anyone is left Saturday. 
Even better get there Wednesday to pick thru the people lining up. I know that happens at Hershey but there are not many vendors at Chickasha.  

44 minutes ago, kuhner said:

My wife’s family is from Oklahoma. We went a couple times to visit family and mostly graveyards while there.

You better be there Thursday because on Friday people are packing up and lord knows if anyone is left Saturday. 
Even better get there Wednesday to pick thru the people lining up. I know that happens at Hershey but there are not many vendors at Chickasha.  

You need to read what has been posted above.

There is no admission 

Wednesday or Thursday for anyone.

Vendor set up is Friday between

7 and 10 am - gates do not open

for vendor set up until 7 am.

Chickasha Swap Meet is not

a graveyard - if you feel that

way then stay home.

Jim

IMG_0005.jpeg.1871273884e873b23c1b5420364c8afc.jpeg

Edited by Trulyvintage (see edit history)

I plan staying home this year. Thanks for correcting my days.   Just letting folks know to go early, don’t wait until the last day. And be aware that the best deals are made in the pre set up vendor line.

Sunrise will be around 7:30 am

or later on March 15th in 

Chickasha, Oklahoma.

Vendors have just 3 hours to

set up for the Public before the

gates open - my opinion is they

are not going to be receptive to

Early Bird Shoppers going thru

their trailers trying to get a jump

on the other folks coming thru

the gate - the vendors will

be focused on setting up.

Jim

No horse in this race but seems to me giving vendors just three hours to set up before gates open will be difficult for some. Just my thoughts. Post event feedback will show how well received that is. 

Terry 

Actually - it is a great idea and 

a perfect fit for Chickasha.

There are indoor and outdoor spaces

and plenty of room to maneuver 

a truck and trailer.

Most vendors are seasoned pros

that can set up their space in 

an hour or so - they usually have

help to do it.

It is a positive move to revitalize 

live vending and encourage folks

to do business face to face.

Jim

We attended many times, going back to the early 1990s as well as more recently.

This year the dates coincide with our AACA FOUNDERS TOUR in Lafayette, Louisiana,

... and I'm the sole surviving person to have driven (or attended) every Founders Tour which started back in 1988.

Louisiana Region last hosted Founders back in 1991, although we've also hosted several other National and Divisional AACA Meets and tours including our 2-Hub Sentimental Tour between Natchez and Vicksburg, Mississippi, Divisionals in Lafayette and Houma, LA, and the Central Division Meet (Nationals) in November, 2015 to list a few.

Our 2024 Founders is full and has a waiting list.

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)
  • Like 3

While you're waiting for the swap meet to open, you could alway take a short trip to the Train Depot park and visit the 50-foot tall tribute to the 1983 movie "A Christmas Story".

The world's tallest leg lamp.

IMG_0902.JPG

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I am leaving Florida  
for Oklahoma - spaces are still
available for the swap meet ….

I plan on having a productive
and enjoyable time providing
video and live streaming coverage
on Friday and Saturday ….

At the 2021 Chickasha Swap Meet:

Jim

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/30/2024 at 5:57 PM, B Jake Moran said:

Evidently it is a graveyard, and most everyone did stay home.  

Those who actually attended 

were pleased with the turnout:

https://mtfca.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=41978

Rising operating cost combined

the general decline necessitated 

family to make this  the last year

as they lost money for the first

time ...

IMG_0252.jpeg.0f5615e0116f32ec9e35c65e047401e1.jpeg

Jim

I am still curious about a couple of economic issues related to swap meets in general.  

1st, I always hear that "everything is on-line now".  Really?  I just purchased a 1970 Mercury to restore with a young man, and some, but not very many, parts are available on line.  Not even close to what I need and the cost, at least the asking price, is usually stupid ridiculous.  

Meanwhile at a swap meet, you are likely assisting a hobbyist, and the transaction is more likely to be hobbyist to hobbyist.  So I don't get that part about why everyone is competing with "on line" sellers.  I speak mostly of eBay, but just typing in "1970 Mercury parts" under a google search is a waste of time.  

I can imagine typing in "1920 Buick parts" and getting links to all sorts of nonsense, so I am not sure what anyone means by "competing with the on line crowd."  

2nd - if the facility costs are so high that these traditional venues are no longer viable, and say, a county fairgrounds or whatever - remains empty, instead of charging something, then that seems like a waste as well.  

So a venue raises their use prices by 50% and most of the folks running these events say "I'm out."  Then what?  Either the facility closes down entirely and becomes new housing or they lower their price to offer the space.  

What am I missing?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Ersland Family contributed 

unknowling to their own demise.

They became active on the 

county fairground board many

years ago - pushed to have a 

increase in sales tax - pushed

to have that revenue directed 

towards improving facilities.

That - led to the horse folks

becoming interested -nowadays

the money in facility rental is

in equestrian events.

The rental fees then increased 

for other vendors - they were

priced out of renting the facility.

You can't find everything online.

You can't begin and nurture real life relationships online.

Youngsters, growing up in the hobby, cannot find the experience they have walking swap meets with their Elders.

As I have stated elsewhere here on the forums, I believe the future of automotive swap meets lies in public events, hosted by private owners that are not affiliated with any automotive club that can control the event.

The traditional Chickasha Pre War Swap Meet held in the Spring closed because the car club folks that started it decided it's time had ended.

That - is a fact.

Now - the largest segment of

the hobby renting vendor spaces

and expressing interest in attending

to walk the aisles at Famoso  ....

Is the HCCA ....

Go Figure ....

IMG_9619.jpeg.651bf6632cd147763d1ec37a3d8e4a28.jpeg

Jim