Under $10k. Estate Sale: 1972 Ferrari Fiat Dino - $9,999 - New York

https://catskills.craigslist.org/cto/d/livingston-manor-estate-sale-1972/7712735929.html

Very rare 1972 Dino, complete except for engine & trans. I can give contact info of people selling all engine and body parts. Has rust on bottom from sitting. The rust is no worse than the thousands of rusted Camaros and Mustangs that people restore every year. Comes with a bill of sale because cars dont have titles in New York before 1973. Rolls and steers easily up onto your trailer. Overall a very rare and elite car.

email - 7596ebf817cd3e028ea0f852df6c5339@sale.craigslist.org

00c0c_kux2LreOdPK_05a03S_1200x900.jpg

00x0x_iGUawJVdY6b_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

00C0C_UM5ZGWbquI_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

"The rust is no worse than the thousands of rusted Camaros and Mustangs that people restore every year."

Except there is a strong aftermarket for Camaro and Mustang parts, and most of these projects come with an engine and transmission.  The editor of the Hagerty Drivers Club magazine bought one of these and has spent a substantial amount of money just getting the engine restored.  

• Like 3

I know zero about these cars. Is it a Ferrari or a Fiat? 10k for a rolling ferrari seems ok to me, about 9k over for a Fiat.

I dont want to get kicked off the forum but this looks like the perfect candidate for an LS swap. Body lines look ok and somewhat exotic, put in a motor that is more than reliable that has plenty of hp and you would have a fun little car to run around in.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

I know zero about these cars. Is it a Ferrari or a Fiat? 10k for a rolling ferrari seems ok to me, about 9k over for a Fiat.

I dont want to get kicked off the forum but this looks like the perfect candidate for an LS swap. Body lines look ok and somewhat exotic, put in a motor that is more than reliable that has plenty of hp and you would have a fun little car to run around in.

Why not just buy a chevy impala and save yourself a lot of aggravation?

• Like 1

Because an Impala doesnt look like a ferrari!  

Dont get me wrong, I abhor ls swaps. I believe the 'heart' of the car is its motor. Nothing ruins the character of an old car better. In this example may be the best of both worlds.

• Like 2

I know just enough about these Fiat Dino’s to be dangerous, the engine is marvelous and the body is OK so I they’re collectible, in particular since a real Ferrari Dino is now north of 400,000. It seems to me that these change hands every so often but they are under 100K The engine is the whole point of having one and this one doesn’t have it.

Back in the 60's Ferrari wanted to produce a new engine for the formula 2 racing series but the rules specified thousands needed to be made to qualify as production. Thus, the Ferrari engined Fiat was born. Open cars received a Pininfarina body, coupes (like this one) were made by Bertone.  Neither the Fait or the Dino Ferrari carried the Ferrari badge, and the engine was also used in the very successful Lancia Stratos ralley car.   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, TAKerry said:

Because an Impala doesnt look like a ferrari!  

The Fiat in the original post doesn't look like a Ferrari either.  Not my idea of a Ferrari.  It will end up as a "Chevy Fiat Impala "

Edited by jdome
Afterthought (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I was talking with my son about Ferraris the other day. They are touted as such great machines, and yes the old ones in particular look pretty awesome. BUT, every time one goes across the auction block (I live on the poor side of the tracks and auction banter is my only exposure to them) they mention the low mileage and that they need a major service ($$$) at some silly mileage like 20k. These motors may run like a scolded banshee when properly tuned by the right ferrari mechanic at how often and how much? I prefer a simple GM/Ford power plant that will easily hit 200k with only an oil change needed every few thousand miles.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

I was talking with my son about Ferraris the other day. They are touted as such great machines, and yes the old ones in particular look pretty awesome. BUT, every time one goes across the auction block (I live on the poor side of the tracks and auction banter is my only exposure to them) they mention the low mileage and that they need a major service ($$$) at some silly mileage like 20k. These motors may run like a scolded banshee when properly tuned by the right ferrari mechanic at how often and how much? I prefer a simple GM/Ford power plant that will easily hit 200k with only an oil change needed every few thousand miles.

I agree with you, but I still kind of wish I bought a 328 or 348 back when there were lots to choose from for $28,000. It doesn’t seem like it was that long ago.

• Like 1

---> it is not comparable....😁

and what class for the "Ferrari" DINO !

The Dino 246 GT/GTS (24 for 2.4 Liters, and 6 for 6 cylinders) is a GT sports car, from the Italian automobile manufacturer Dino, a subsidiary of Ferrari named in homage to Dino Ferrari (1932-1956), the eldest son of Enzo Ferrari (1898-1988) died prematurely

fiat dino max $50000

image.png.ef104369f3c77d8a89cb5c37383e305b.png

"ferrari" dino $400000

image.png.38f787c6f1492989523983a50fff699a.png

Edited by cquisuila (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Nice to park with your Chrysler Maserati.

Fiat made some nicely styled cars. As far as the car's acceptance by the automotive aficionados, it is like one of my cars that is poorly received at events that the real knowledgeable people  attend. I just avoid them, take rides in the country, and get compliments in the parking lot of small town family diners.

I bet that little car would be a big hit at a Sinclair convenient store.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, Jim Skelly said:

The car in the Hagerty article is an actual Ferrari Dino -- a completely different animal, as Leif explained above.  As described in Wikipedia:

"The Fiat Dino (Type 135) was a front-engine, rear-wheel-drive sports car produced by Fiat from 1966 to 1973. The Dino name refers to the Ferrari Dino V6 engine, produced by Fiat and installed in the cars to achieve the production numbers sufficient for Ferrari to homologate the engine for Formula 2 racing."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_Dino#History

• Like 2

22 hours ago, neil morse said:

The car in the Hagerty article is an actual Ferrari Dino -- a completely different animal, as Leif explained above.  As described in Wikipedia:

"The Fiat Dino (Type 135) was a front-engine, rear-wheel-drive sports car produced by Fiat from 1966 to 1973. The Dino name refers to the Ferrari Dino V6 engine, produced by Fiat and installed in the cars to achieve the production numbers sufficient for Ferrari to homologate the engine for Formula 2 racing."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_Dino#History

I missed that these are two different cars when I commented on, and later posted, the Hagerty article.  Thanks for the clarification.  It still will be an expensive project for whomever decides to restore it.  

• Like 1

This thing has been for sale for a long time. Months and months. Maybe over a year since I saw the first ad. Apparently the market feels it is overpriced. 

I think it’s a good looking car. If the seller gets realistic on the price it might see the road again. Probably not with a Dino engine. I’d rather see it out driving than sitting neglected, even if that means a swap of some sort. I’d skip the LS and go with something European. No particularly good reason - I’m just kind of masochistic that way. 

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Gearheadengineer said:

Apparently the market feels it is overpriced.

$2 more and I would consider the car overpriced. I like that under $10,000 market and before I settled on that number I missed some overpriced cars I sure wish I had today. The three special cars I in the garage today have been with me 45 years, 20+ years, and 12 years. Spread the difference between over priced and reasonably priced over that many year and the dollars are pretty low. Especially in my 75 year life where the deepest regrets I have are cars I didn't buy.

Years ago one of my best friends was interested in a 1962 Chrysler Pace Car. I asked him how the deal was going. He said "We are negotiating and about $2,000 apart". I told him "If you are letting $2,000 hold up the deal you just don't want the car." Bingo! He perked right up and said "You're right!"

So, for that often mentioned serious buyer only, What is that buyer's get realistic number and what does it come out to on average over the first 10 years.

Or, if one took a flyer on it and wasn't happy what might the potential loss be even if they paid the ten grand.

It is not the market. No one wants the little albatross.

image.png.a31d3cdffbb48ac441de6ec45b44e62f.png

• Like 2