1947 Packard clipper - $30,000

I always thought these were nice cars, but obviously not in this condition at this price. You have to wonder how they came up with $30k. I got an error message when I clicked on the phone number...

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/d/elverta-1947-packard-clipper/7712572167.html

1947 Packard clipper 2 door hard to find was in the garage for 40 yrs car is complete no missing parts car is solid floor only one spot back fender , original engine and transmission turns over and Start everything works lights and gauges, not Drivable need breaks any questions call me at show contact info location Elverta ca

email: 95392cbe694433eaab5ecd5211422ab8@sale.craigslist.org

00101_1vmPo1mn1n_0x20oM_600x450.jpg1947 Packard clipper 100707_6cSQSNR95Qm_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg00V0V_bp9QlNYsXUv_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg01010_a0kq99ZOw44_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg00Y0Y_2lldKckr9Ev_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg00e0e_5w4TXFk0Lis_0t20CI_600x450.jpg00n0n_j5tIdTOPvZZ_0lM0t2_600x450.jpg

• Like 1

Just another greedy seller wanting you to line their pockets with cash.  You can tell from ad content that the seller knows nothing about Packards.  True Packard sellers note the series (21 I believe), they know the engine size, wheelbase etc.  

• Thanks 1

This is the topline 21st Series Clipper Custom Super 2dr Club Sedan, one of an estimated 600 built, one of perhaps 30 estimated survivors as Bryan notes.  It is the most desirable of all the 21st Series Clippers and the rarest.  Hope it finds an appreciative conservator who restores it properly.  If you are a Packard enthusiast. this one is worth spending part of the family fortune on. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Twisted Shifter said:

I never bought a car with more horns than carburetors. That' gotta say something.

Lots of cars have more horns than carburetors. My 1940 Buick and many 60's cars. 

1 hour ago, TAKerry said:

Very stylish car. Looks complete and ready for a restoration. Rareness does not equal value. What is the real value of this car restored? $30k, $80k $150k?  It may be priced correctly for what it is.

Here is the only comparable we've had which is the same year and model.   The gray one in need of restoration, while a worthwhile project, will have to have its price moderated before someone will take on the task. 

• Like 1

It’s a desirable car, but the question is how far would you take it.  It definitely needs paint and body work and the mechanical condition is somewhat unknown, but if it really only needs brakes and minor things, that’s doable.  The interior is, I think, the big question.  It looks marginal to me.  If it can be cleaned up that’s very different than if it has to be totally redone.  I’d imagine a full redo on a Custom Super 8 interior is horrendously expensive.  

If I had a choice between done nicely for $55k and this at $30k, I’d go for done at $55k.  I think the likely restoration cost is much more of a problem than the purchase price.

• Like 1

On 1/30/2024 at 12:31 PM, Twisted Shifter said:

I never bought a car with more horns than carburetors. That' gotta say something.

9 hours ago, lhend50 said:

Lots of cars have more horns than carburetors. My 1940 Buick and many 60's cars. 

...but adding horns will not add performance. Carburetors do...

image.jpeg.34cf8fb45644441a656f3b9037a7cd45.jpegimage.jpeg.8d553c6fa6312a760f195df5718acfe2.jpeg

image.jpeg.d2223de8e728fa70de9ddb959739d3bc.jpegimage.jpeg.359fe9e108319238feecad723c8f430f.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I did a search but couldn't find a post from a year or two ago that showed an older truck with about a hundred horns on it that played tunes.

Rocked out pretty good if I recall correctly.

Edited by JACK M (see edit history)

You need to understand what this is.    I think I have only ever seen one of these in person.    A Custom Eight 2 door fastback is a thing of beauty.    Project cars are never a good value,  but don't mistake this for the run of the mill junk we see on here every day.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

A friend had the best one in the world, and couldn't get $100k. As with almost every single car out there in regard to restoring, you CANNOT do it for any other reason than for the passion of it. 

But, as AJ said, it's rare, rare, rare, and it's beautiful. If you're going to spend your time and resources on a really cool looking postwar car, this is the one to do it to.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, West Peterson said:

A friend had the best one in the world, and couldn't get $100k. As with almost every single car out there in regard to restoring, you CANNOT do it for any other reason than for the passion of it. 

But, as AJ said, it's rare, rare, rare, and it's beautiful. If you're going to spend your time and resources on a really cool looking postwar car, this is the one to do it to.

I was trying to determine from the pictures if it would clean up as is.  I can't imagine paint/interior/chrome.  

Your friends car at 100K is a bargain compared to this at free.   But still,  if the car could be cleaned up as is...

I always look at cars (and other things) with some thought on “opportunity costs”.   

The car is very cool.  If it is really all there and the negatives are represented by what you see.......let’s say buyer and seller meet at 25K?   What else interests you and is available for around 25?  What kind of collectible car are you passionate about?  At 25K you might get a near perfect open model A Ford..... or A nice driver 1931 closed Franklin with presentable paint, interior and runs well.  Or a project beautiful, rare 47 custom 8 two door fastback Packard.  

different people Are inclined to go down one of these three pathways.  I feel somewhat cursed that I feel the pull towards the more high end project car.  I need bold friends to constantly save me from myself. 

• Like 1

The 1946-'47 21st Series Clippers were absent a convertible which left the two-door fastback club sedan to be the only 'sporty' model.   While the two-door fastback club sedans were also available in the "Junior Series" Clipper Six (245 ci) and Clipper Deluxe Eight (282 ci), both were on the 120"wb.   

The "Senior Series" were the Super Clipper and Custom Super Clipper, both powered by the marvelous nine-main-bearing 356 ci straight eight on the 127" wb.  The additional seven inches is all forward the cowl, the long hood complementing the long sweeping fastback profile.  While the Super Clipper Club Sedan ($2,342) opposite the Cadillac 62 fastback club coupe ($2.446), the Custom Super Clipper both listed for over $3K, the Club Sedan ($3,140) the Touring Sedan ($3,274) versus the Cadillac 60 Special ($3,195).  Both Custom Super Clippers were more expensive than the Cadillac 62 convertible at ($2,902). 

Custom Super Clipper interiors are high quality wool broadcloth with the contrasting piping which a professional might be able to clean without damage.  

BTW, the red rubber clutch peddle pad indicates this car has the optional Electromatic Clutch. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I am so used to seeing the GM fastbacks that these Packard's did not grab me at first.  But these Packard's have grown on me thanks to this website!.  I do like these 2 door fastbacks.  I think I would want the blue one as seen in the link.  For 2 reasons; I don't see restoring this grey/black one for anything under 55 grand. The 2nd reason is what I commented on with the blue Packard and that is the parts availability.  Maybe it's because I've had GM and Ford cars and I haven't made any Packard parts connections.  I still love that blue one!

Edited by deac (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Well, for my theoretical $25k of discretionary money, I'd probably opt for a nice presentable and driveable late '50's or early to mid '60's 2-door hardtop.  Might even find a convertible I like for that amount. No interest in shows or bragging, or spending another $50k or five years (or both) rehabilitating another project.  I'd Just like owning and driving a little piece of history I can readily relate to. To each his own. 😊

• Like 2