Car on Leave it to Beaver

Many years ago, I saw Robert Stack on one of the late night shows.  All I remember about it was him saying they started showing the cars more on The Untouchables because old car guys kept asking for them. 😁

Course there's the well-known goof in High Sierra when Mad Dog Roy Earle's Plymouth coupe keeps morphing back and forth between a 1937 and 1938.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Jim Skelly said:

That was the episode where Lumpy put smoke bombs in the other guys' cars - or something like that.  Then Wally and Eddie took Ward's tow chain, wrapped it around Lumpy's rear axle and a tree, and the axle "came off" when he attempted to leave the driveway.  The chain hook had 'W. Cleaver' painted on it, so they got busted.  Then Wally and Eddie told Fred that they didn't want Lumpy's help after Fred heard the entire story.  One of the classic episodes from that show, and my Dad's favorite. 

Wonder if that's where Lucas got the idea for the Pharaohs doing the same thing to the cop car in American Graffiti.

• Like 2

It wasn't so much Ward Cleaver that got upset about the 36 Ford as it was June.  She was dead set against the idea of having that junk heap showing in the driveway, whereas Wally almost had his dad convinced.  I think Wally wasn't quite old enought to drive yet, so he said he could spend that time learning how to fix the car.  Bud also buys an old car in a mid-50s episode of Father Knows Best.  It was a Ford Model A Touring car that he buys from a buddy for $10.  Bud tells his mom it's in perfect condition except it doesn't run!  This episode turns out a bit better than the Leave It To Beaver show.  You can see the car at 14 minutes in to the show.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lumpy drove a 1940 Ford convertible on Leave it to Beaver.

On 77 Sunset Strip Stu Bailey (Efrem Zimbalist Jr.) always drove a current year Ford Thunderbird and Jeff Spencer (Roger Smith) drove a current year Ford Sunliner. 

Lew Bachman

1957 Thunderbird

• Like 1

On 1/31/2024 at 8:58 AM, John348 said:

Beaver was filmed in Revue studios, that looks more like Westchester County NY (where Dick Van Dyke takes place) then Hollywood?

Remember John, Revue was owned by MCA and it only lasted from 1958-1964. MCA a separate part of universal studios. Ever notice those winding streets and houses in Beavers neighborhood? Fast forward to Adam 12! 

Today's Beaver adventure called "Beavers" prize." 1959. Larry and beaver skip school, Wally is home sick. Larry and Beaver wander around town and go to a theatre, intermission the theatre raffles off a bicycle first prize and Beaver wins. The event is televised, Wally and June are at home watching. I think you can imagine what happens next.

Ward comes home from the office driving a 1959 4 door sedan Plymouth Fury with a fake spare tire pressed into the trunk.

1959 Plymouth Fury 4-door Sedan

Below is Wards old 57 Ford Custom 300

IMCDb.org: 1957 Ford Custom 300 in "Leave It to Beaver, 1957 ...Ward is helping Beaver with his paper route

IMCDb.org: 1957 Ford Custom 300 in "Leave It to Beaver, 1957 ...

Below Wally breaks the door window on the Ford

IMCDb.org: 1957 Ford Custom 300 in "Leave It to Beaver, 1957 ...

image.jpeg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 1957Birdman said:

Lumpy drove a 1940 Ford convertible on Leave it to Beaver.

On 77 Sunset Strip Stu Bailey (Efrem Zimbalist Jr.) always drove a current year Ford Thunderbird and Jeff Spencer (Roger Smith) drove a current year Ford Sunliner. 

Lew Bachman

1957 Thunderbird

And Kookie (Edd Byrnes) drove a 22 Ford T-bucket built by Norm Grabowski who garnered some fame as a hot rod builder and character actor (hopefully this doesn't violate the "no hot rods" rule).

002-1922-ford-model-t-bucket-kookie-edd-

Edited by CHuDWah (see edit history)

5 hours ago, CHuDWah said:

And Kookie (Edd Byrnes) drove a 22 Ford T-bucket built by Norm Grabowski who garnered some fame as a hot rod builder and character actor (hopefully this doesn't violate the "no hot rods" rule).

002-1922-ford-model-t-bucket-kookie-edd-

Now why would it violate no hot rods rule? That 1952 engine is a 331 Caddy. Not an SBC 😲

19 hours ago, Pfeil said:

Remember John, Revue was owned by MCA and it only lasted from 1958-1964. MCA a separate part of universal studios. Ever notice those winding streets and houses in Beavers neighborhood? Fast forward to Adam 12! 

You can notice some of the same store fronts used on both shows on the outdoor location shoots.

24 minutes ago, John348 said:

You can notice some of the same store fronts used on both shows on the outdoor location shoots.

Many years ago I took the studio tour at Universal. It actually went through the active studio part and the back lots on a tram. One of the streets was Beavers 'hood with his home still there. I recall a house or two down was the Munsters home. This was the real deal not a made up place for tourists. Not sure if they even give that tour still. Watching all the old shows I can see a cross reference in a lot of them.

Kookies car was sold at auction a few years ago. A fellow in PA may have been the buyer?

22 hours ago, CHuDWah said:

And Kookie (Edd Byrnes) drove a 22 Ford T-bucket

I see this guy on some of those tacky old western series that I am unexplainedly drawn to, He looks out of place.

As for the "no hot rods" thing. c'mon, we are just talking about old guys, old tv shows and old cars.

This is fun stuff so loosen up some. If someone is insulted by these comments you don't have to read them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, TAKerry said:

Many years ago I took the studio tour at Universal. It actually went through the active studio part and the back lots on a tram. One of the streets was Beavers 'hood with his home still there. I recall a house or two down was the Munsters home. This was the real deal not a made up place for tourists. Not sure if they even give that tour still. Watching all the old shows I can see a cross reference in a lot of them.

Kookies car was sold at auction a few years ago. A fellow in PA may have been the buyer?

I had read somewhere that the set home that was used for Beaver's second home was also used later for Marcus Welby MD, who knew?  

22 hours ago, Pfeil said:

Now why would it violate no hot rods rule? That 1952 engine is a 331 Caddy. Not an SBC 😲

5 hours ago, JACK M said:

I see this guy on some of those tacky old western series that I am unexplainedly drawn to, He looks out of place.

As for the "no hot rods" thing. c'mon, we are just talking about old guys, old tv shows and old cars.

This is fun stuff so loosen up some. If someone is insulted by these comments you don't have to read them.

Just covering my ass from the forum constabulary.