1933 Buick 90, not mine.

I have not contacted the seller but it is possible that this is the same car on a SOLD listing through classiccars.com.  Perhaps someone here has had a positive experience with classiccars.com but as far as I can tell they are a compiler of other seller’s listings.  Almost 100 high resolution pics were posted with the classiccars.com ad; I have not checked elsewhere to see what other photos might be available online.  Note the removed engine side cover plate and tagging and slight rerouting of the red plug wires but still same routing of coil / generator wiring in both sets of pictures.  Also note the duct tape on the firewall on the firewall in one set of pics and the residual evidence of pulled firewall duct tape in exactly the same spot in the other set of pictures.   Chassis serial number plate included below from the classiccars.com ad.

Any thoughts from anyone on this particular car?  Has anyone contacted the seller directly?

I would be cautious….

https://classiccars.com/listings/view/1249037/1933-buick-90-for-sale-in-bedford-hts-ohio-44146

IMG_8841.png.695ea57d131c78ea2888fe0aee1d8247.pngIMG_8840.png.6676700d4587b1dccd740dab6738be9e.pngIMG_8843.png.9f875b8cd542a9ee3015a82d0c5e6fdb.pngIMG_8842.png.2c738df145d8dc21c4baf2e9a71c29e0.png

IMG_8835.jpeg.5aafafa251d0657088f2b2c4c5cbd229.jpeg

IMG_8835.jpeg

Far as I know, the ClassicCars.com website is functional.   You have found a listing for a car sold in the past.   Unfortunately, they don't say when the car sold.  I agree that the two cars have similarities.  It's possible, someone bought the car off ClassicCars, brought it home, did some work under the hood - took off the tape, installed the missing part, changed the shift knob - and then possibly died.   The Seller says he's been asked to sell the car for the widow.   I can't vouch for the Seller, but he does have a few other Facebook ads for other vehicles, and they are not rare or under-priced and they have regular photos (not camera phone photos).   So, the camera phone photos are inconsistent with his other ads.   So, maybe he is just doing the widow a favor and he received the phone photos from her (no other reason that he shouldn't know how to load them properly if he used his own phone) - the only way to know is to reach out to the Seller on Facebook.   The price is similar to what the car possibly sold for last time - so I'm not seeing blatant red flags - but, as always, buyer beware.  Always good to be cautious.

• Like 2

Yes this is the same car Matt had commented on back in 2019.  I studied the pictures in the new at vs the 2019 ad.  So it went from OH to CA.  The only difference I see is changed back to a (presumably) correct shift knob.   Price now is $2k less than asking price in 2019.  Hope they kept the spark plug wire cover.   What's it worth?  What are those chrome parts on the rear seat floor that look like small lamps?  They look too small to be the driving lamps that were on the car in 2019.  

This is indeed the same car that my ex-partner sold a few years ago here in Cleveland. I really liked it and may have been a buyer if I didn't have the '35 Lincoln. However, I was recently contacted by a mutual acquaintance of the guy who bought the car asking me to buy the car. This acquaintance was a little vague on details but it sounded like something was amiss with the car that the new owner didn't want to deal with. It's certainly possible that the person listing it now is either that owner or someone to whom that owner sold the car at a discount for whatever that reason might have been, or he might be as advertised and selling it for the widow. I don't know.

I think any 1933-34-35 Buick 90 Series is a fantastic car, but if you're interested in this one I'd recommending giving it a VERY close look in person. I don't know what was wrong with it or why the new owner was turned off by it, so I can't supply any additional details there.

I don't believe it's a scam, since the location is right and the images are not recycled photos from the earlier ad. Someone took those photos more recently. And a scam would have a much deeper discount to hook a sucker. It doesn't feel scammy to me. Inexperienced? Most certainly.

That's all I know.

• Thanks 5

Matt, did you ever lay eyes on the car in the flesh?   It was sold back in 2019 by the looks of it, so we are talking 4-5 years ago, so possible new owner drove it for a couple years then ran into mechanical gremlins and stopped driving it, then passed away.    Since the plug cover is off perhaps it had to to with ignition and the dual points system.  Having owned one I can attest to the fact that they are finicky to get tuned properly.  Thanks

No, I never went to see it so I can't really say anything about its actual condition. It was a car that appealed to me but since I already have a mid-30s club sedan, I wasn't really a player on it. I was hoping another forum member might be interested and I was willing to go see it on their behalf. Nothing ever came of it, though.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I really love these big Buicks, well then again , Packards, Pierce Arrow and REO Royales, there AJ full disclosure!  I reach out to the seller yesterday and he responded to my concise question with a one word answer that really gave me no information.  Truthfully I found it easier to deal with people on Craigslist, even if they where lieing to you there is at least a conversation. 
   I will wait with baited breath for the seller to send me another morsel, sort of like name that tune, 

IMG_0121.png.0446edd6bac08d6d7286e92fc1360750.png

• Haha 1

Yeah Facebook is terrible.  10x worse than craigslist.  Usually you get a one word answer to a question you did not ask, or they just completely ignore you.    Often I ask questions and get a reply back stating "still available" when I didn't even ask that.