A Year in the Life of My Shop

I actually thought about folding up a cap in the metal brake. To place on top of my tool box. This would give the top lid of the box something like a 5/12-6/12 pitch, like a roof. Just to get rid of one more flat surface. Pictures of the top of tool boxes could be an interesting topic on here.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, 3macboys said:

I do, I try to catch at least one of the spring meets at Ancaster, though it's always weather dependent.  Last year I did Rockton in the spring - first time there and I'll definitely go back, though the shot gun set up time is a little interesting.  I also did the WOMO (Western Ontario Mopar Owners) day at St Thomas Dragway.  

Don

Good! I'm a member of Road Runners. Hope will see you on April 28Th at our flea market. Hopefully weather will be better than last year :)

Serge.

• Like 1

The size is beyond a dream. But yes, $25.00 / day just to cover basic expenses brings it into perspective. I expect heating costs would be somewhat cheaper here in the greater Vancouver area, but I fear the property taxes in my area would more than make up the difference.

Posted (edited)

Better than Amazon the parts store text me this morning just after 8 that they had the new pump and hoses in for me.  We generally deal with the same two stores and both have younger people that are car guys - depending of course on what you need its not the "what make, what year, what trim level, what engine?" followed by the I can't find it in the computer.  Both places know what you are asking for and will do their best to get it.

20240103_090433.jpg

20240103_100027.jpg

In to the bath for the brackets - I've found Dawn to be a great degreaser and as an added bonus it's cheap!  I'll give the brackets a fresh coat of black before it all goes back together.  Sadly the made in you know where puller that I picked up apparently only works one way, was great at removing the pulley but when i went to put it back on today the threads on the inside of the one piece stripped so it will on to plan B, once I figure out what plan B is to get it all back together.

20240103_093121.jpg.1259ba0dd0fc8816dddd6429ffdae151.jpg

Managed to continue on from yesterday clearing up more off the stack of lumber.  Some of the items there will go on Ebay, some into the Swap Meet Pile and then other stuff for scrap, recycling or the circular file.  A couple of quick pictures to give you an overview of that one area.  Not everyday is a home run but there's progress.   The boat belongs to the previous owner and we store it for him every winter.  It actually acts as a check to make sure that nothing else comes into the shop so that we still have room for it.  18ft boat plus the trailer.  If you think cars are expensive he just had the entire rear section replaced last year due to a leak to the tune of 9k but it was that or a boat that had no value and couldn't be used.  

20240103_144357.jpg.2ef7debd6aa873d639c2bf81dc30d6c6.jpg

20240103_152800.jpg.a2bac12c6f4e7a9c597b1decbfdcdac4.jpg

Edited by 3macboys (see edit history)

Posted (edited)
On 1/3/2024 at 6:01 PM, Xander Wildeisen said:

There is a lot of stuff in that building.

That pretty much sums up my problem if you can call it that.  Now I'm working backwards to get it down to the really good stuff, the good stuff and the stuff that just needs to go.  I've gotten better about as stuff comes in now into sorting into the most appropriate group and dealing with it appropriately.  Now it's working through the backlog.  There's some stuff that is too good to get rid off, even though the market for it is extremely small, like all 4 doors from a 66 Plymouth Fury VIP hardtop.  They are rust free and I can't just send them for scrap, though the likelihood of me finding the person that needs them is very low.  Most people don't believe me but all my "inventory" came from a $140 purchase of emblems that I blame on my wife.   She is a retired school teacher and was doing report cards one weekend.  I was bored and searching around kijiji and found a fellow in Belleville, Ontario selling a lot of emblems.  Long story short, a deal was struck, I hopped in my truck for the 3 hr drive and was back home in time for supper.  I just kept turning the profits over into new purchases.  

• Like 2

Sorry for the Hijack but in keeping with Xander's comment,  heres a couple pics I took in my shop yesterday showing what flat surfaces I have, LOL. I do clean them off and put stuff away on a regular basis but all of the stuff seems to migrate right back to where it started!

53440854957_98b34ff27a_c.jpg20240103_084335 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr

53440855197_87e10f6c2d_c.jpg20240103_084311 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr

53442102859_65ff655c8f_c.jpg20240103_084301 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr

53441783466_f80504d16b_c.jpg20240103_084248 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 1/2/2024 at 2:41 PM, NailheadBob said:

Tinley Park, Illinois (5 miles from me) back in the early 1980's had a Chrysler dealer that looked the same as yours, cool stuff, will keep following.

What are a couple items for sale on each of you E-bay stores so I can find them easily?

Thanks for posting this.

Bob

Bob I use to live in Frankfort when I worked for Olds Division and the dealership was Bettenhausen and was near where I went for my groceries.  I see they have a new facility now...how dare they.  Don, great thread!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This morning started off with a trip down the 401 - right into the land of the Heavy Rescue 401 near Toronto to pick up a small load of new inventory.  Anything new coming in I practice the WalMart program of Through the Door and on the Floor in 24.  It's all been photographed, shelved and I'm plugging away at getting it online tonight.  Mostly E Series Ford stuff but it pays the bills.

20240104_113003.jpg.cdb6a46ee137c2d750bc1a4cebb14911.jpg

After the set back of yesterday and the broken installer for the power steering pump, I pondered it overnight and on my drive and came up with plan B.  I realized that the installer was really nothing more than a puller really and just used a series of 3/8 inch bolts and a stack of washers, progressively removing washers and stepping down to a shorter bolt until the task was accomplished.  I sprayed one side of the brackets with a fresh coat of paint and will do the other side tomorrow.   Hopefully, by Monday the pump will be back on the car.

20240104_143846.jpg.82edfd3b284585f5fc1c6f9f844c705e.jpg

20240104_144343.jpg.119df578fcc3a9157580e73e0930735c.jpg

Just in case you are wondering the entire shop is not total chaos, we do have a few areas that are well sorted, it just needs to progress through the rest of the building.

20240104_150754.jpg.2a7246ff3abd1ebead68253de6407e54.jpg

Though it has only been a few days I do find already, that I'm picking up bits and pieces and putting them where they belong and looking ahead to what I can accomplish tomorrow.  I usually have coffee at home in the morning with my wife and get moving by 9 to drop off packages at the post office and then head to the shop.  My father usually stops by for an hour so in the morning for a coffee.  He's at a point where he's still driving the cars but I'm doing the labour.  Depending on the day I'll slide home for lunch and then back to the shop for two or three hours.  It's not a taxing schedule but enough to keep moving forward.  

• Like 6

A bit more of the complete history of the dealership and buildings from a local booklet put out by the village a number of years ago

20240104_184804.jpg.22b40b4d36455071f1fc67cbf8b809c5.jpg

I wish I had those signs today!  I'm still hoping that Ron brings around a dealership trunk emblem one of these days.

20240104_184816.jpg.0c911dc9feb4a351c4d9fc4e43eb78ee.jpg

• Like 3

Those are cool old buildings, there was one in Boise that was leased to someone that turned it into an equipment rental place. It was an old shop built for Desoto dealer/service. A lot of old service stations are repurposed into other businesses. Making it very difficult for automotive related businesses to find zoned correctly spaces that can be leased for automotive related work.

• Like 1

This large project of little projects has extended to also cleaning up other peoples shops.  Today, my youngest and I retrieved a 1926 Dodge frame that father had stored in a friend's barn the better part of 20 yrs or more ago.  It's a good frame and I will post it locally on kijiji and Marketplace as we have no need for it.  Buried in the shop is another 26 Dodge that my father had begun to build into a street rod.  I do know that the running gear from this frame went into a restoration.  If anyone here has an interest in the frame please PM me as the price will be right.  Getting this stuff over the border is not an issue at all - antique car parts are duty free both ways.  For interest sake, that is the extent of the snow here, just enough to make the ground white and clean looking.  

20240105_143117.jpg.7b554588b7a11c9d8ec93ce16b2d8ea3.jpg

On 1/4/2024 at 3:51 PM, Steve Moskowitz said:

Bob I use to live in Frankfort when I worked for Olds Division and the dealership was Bettenhausen and was near where I went for my groceries.  I see they have a new facility now...how dare they.  Don, great thread!!

Steve,

The original building on Oak Park Avenue was built in 1952, they now have 3 facilities and a 4th being built, 3rd generation running it now, Indy 500 car from Gary Bettenhausen is hanging from the showroom ceiling, really awesome to see, I worked for them for 10 years on Oak Park Avenue 

Bob

I love following this thread especially because it’s @3macboys I have purchased items and recommended forum members to him.

• Thanks 1

Not a lot of time spent in the shop this weekend.  Saturday, we took our youngest son back to university in Peterborough after his Christmas break.  About a 2 1/2 hr drive each way across the top of Toronto and of course being a poor university student you have to fill his fridge and cupboards while you are there.  He was my helper on Friday retrieving the frame from the 26 Dodge so if there's any heavy lifting to be done that I need help with I'll have to wait until he's back home again.

Today I managed to squeeze in about 3 hrs, with half of that trying to help my friend figure out a couple of issues with his TR6.  The problems were not solved but we think we have figured out the pathway forward.  This is the point of having the shop in the first place so it's nice that there is a bit of room to do some work and hang out with old friends.  I do make sure that he's the one getting his hands dirty as the whole car thing is completely new to him.  One day when I'm in a kind mood I'll let him know where the gloves are.  This right here is the biggest accomplishment to making space - that's got to be at least one full square foot worth!  

EmptyBox.jpg.ad97b7a934ffd6aa6beb0623bde978c6.jpg

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

Be careful, the bottom of that box is a flat surface!😲

I've already ensured that it will not misbehave in the future - already cut up and in the recycling bin.  It might become someone else's flat surface in a future life but gone from mine!

• Like 1

My shop in the desert used to be nice and orderly but now is a mess because I as usual, bit off more than I can chew. Nothing rusts but I have to spend a day to blow out all the sand!!!

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, TAKerry said:

My brother lives in Peterborough. 

The next time you are up visiting check out Ashburnham Ale House if you haven't already.  Well worth the visit.  My son's apartment is just around the corner.  Last year he lived on Dublin St - ask your brother about that neighbourhood!  I've always told my kids that when they go off to school they will learn as much outside the classroom as they will in it - and boy did he get a lot of life lessons last year - no one realized that the room he had rented was in a house right beside the biggest boarding house (read crack house, house of ill repute etc etc)   On the upside that experience has certainly motivated his studies!   

• Like 1

Today was a productive day.  Started off heading to ACE Radiator in London, Ontario.  I took the gas tank from the 1926 Star which had developed a leak along one outside edge along the bottom, not a huge leak but enough to fill the shop with fumes which fortunately we discovered before heating season.  My oldest had removed the tank for me while he was home over Christmas.  My friend with the TR6 tagged along with his rad which had developed a leak along the top tank.  Steve at ACE is another young guy who had taken the business over from his father.  Very personable and knowledgeable.  He'd previously redone the rad in my 66 Coronet and is building the rad for the 30 Dodge.    My city of Woodstock (pop 50 000) used to have 4 shops when it was half the size and now there aren't any, London, Steve tells me used to have 18 or 19 and now there are 2.  Another one of those businesses that the hobby relies on but the daily driver market for the rad business has changed.  It's great to have a young guy taking on this stuff.   I keep a supply of his cards on hand at the shop.

This afternoon I got the brackets back on the power steering pump for the 51 Plymouth and despite my best efforts there is a slight clearance issue with the high pressure line and the engine block that I need to resolve.  I know what needs to be done but after 4 or 5 attempts it was either leave it until tomorrow or start throwing wrenches and I went with the more productive option of walking away for today.

I then turned my attention to making space and cleaning up and getting pictures to list more items on Ebay.  Down the center aisle is a bunch of pieces that I accumulated out of a house clean out to support another activity of mine which is dealing in antiques.  Later this year I'll end up setting up at two major sales but until then I'll need to make some space on the shelves in the lower shop.  Through the straightening and listing I've managed to uncover about 6 feet of the bed of the 30 AA truck.  And yes, that table alongside it will remain folded up until sale time!

20240104_150409.jpg.f78797b1d0f296a1c4fde12f70c3cdd7.jpg

20240108_143912.jpg.66beb1b45b78d58593a06e718a6e74c6.jpg

20240108_143815.jpg.37d927e4c6c837c3c5867f1b1c945c6a.jpg

• Like 1

This last picture for the day is just for fun - Engine stands aren't just for car engines!  This outboard belongs to my friend with the TR6 and it is also on the list to get running this winter.  It likely just needs a good carb and fuel line cleaning but we'll see now that it's mounted to something sturdy to pull start it on.  When the time comes I'll stick a garbage pail full of water under the bottom end to run it is - just stand back if you put it in gear!

20240108_143525.jpg.406c50b304fa71c50a5c6f20eb0d4861.jpg

• Like 1

On 1/1/2024 at 1:49 PM, 3macboys said:

Part of what going me going on this is the thread about the next caretaker of your car.  I'm 55 but as you can see I have a lot to get taken care of and the auction when the time comes is going to be along one if I don't get a handle on things now.

Recently I was gifted a whole engine and transmission by an older gentleman for this reason. Didn't want to see it go to waste. It's going towards a good use!!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Laughing Coyote said:

I like the vintage Sorry Customers sign. Think you could PM a straight on shot of it so I can duplicate it for my shop?  Thanks

PM Sent

12 hours ago, 3macboys said:

The next time you are up visiting check out Ashburnham Ale House if you haven't already.  Well worth the visit.  My son's apartment is just around the corner.  Last year he lived on Dublin St - ask your brother about that neighbourhood!  I've always told my kids that when they go off to school they will learn as much outside the classroom as they will in it - and boy did he get a lot of life lessons last year - no one realized that the room he had rented was in a house right beside the biggest boarding house (read crack house, house of ill repute etc etc)   On the upside that experience has certainly motivated his studies!   

Hoping to get things lined up so I can make a visit. I think it will be around memorial day. He races a 1935 Rudge and there is a big event around that time of year. Not sure if this one is in mosport or not.

• Like 1

Advise on the outboard Evinrude.

When these came in for tune-ups I would always put new coils in them as well as points kit.

The original coils get week and makes it difficult to hold slow idle.

If you like I can tell you the year and hp with the model number.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Hopefully everyone in the eastern half of North America is dealing well with the weather today.  Locally we were supposed to get a few inches of snow but it's turned into more of a rain event which has turned the bit of snow into slush so a good day to be inside.

I stopped by the body shop doing the work on the 30 Dodge - they are primarily a collision shop but Bob likes to keep one or two older cars in the shop.  So far the work has been done by an apprentice who apparently enjoys working on the older stuff.  As you can tell I've tried to seek out businesses with younger ownership and workers.  The reason for that is two fold - one is to keep the younger people interested and two is so that I have places to keep going back to.  It's kind of like at some point in life you realize that you better find a doctor that's younger than you or you are going to be constantly searching for a new one.  The coupe has company by way of a chrome bumper MGB as a neighbour and across the way was a late 70' early 80's Grand Prix - quite the span of years.  

20240109_141519.jpg.3160a0917e3a77b1ed52c02edc0d0052.jpg

The clearance issues with the power steering pump for the 51 have been resolved but then I realized that it's a three handed job to finish it off so I've a friend that will pop down on Friday to give me hand to finish that off.

I'm now working both ends against the middle of the centre aisle.  It's at a point now that you can start to feel the difference as more of the floor gets clear.

20240104_150501.jpg.f297df709816da2470294eae2d3b224a.jpg

20240109_131747.jpg.246313d5eb107cc55b30fc53d3bf462a.jpg

You can kind of see a sign that my wife and made up for an antique sale that we've hosted outside at the shop a couple of time - I'm hoping to do another one this fall but we'll see how things work out time wise.  Last time was a half dozen vendors and it turns in to a bit of an old home week in the village but that's half the fun.

20220908_093010.jpg.3a1164fc9cd12b3f28c747101d89b7b3.jpg

• Like 5

On 1/9/2024 at 12:01 PM, JACK M said:

Advise on the outboard Evinrude.

When these came in for tune-ups I would always put new coils in them as well as points kit.

The original coils get week and makes it difficult to hold slow idle.

If you like I can tell you the year and hp with the model number.

That would be a great help Jack and much appreciated.  It's an 18 hp but the rest of the details I have no idea.  The motor belongs to my friend and I'm fairly certain he doesn't know the complete history of it.  But it came from a cottage up north in Temagami, Ont.  Not sure if the tag below is enough info for you to go by.  It hasn't run in several years so I'm sure the first thing to do is to clean the fuel system.  We started going through it last spring but didn't have it mounted solid enough to anything to try to start it.  About as far as we got was a bit of cleaning and fresh plugs.

20240110_150454.jpg.7933ee6a7c3798f676bac2634307c579.jpg

20240110_150527.jpg.fcdc097f31a15908a3fbdc96f4b6d70a.jpg

Today was a day of cleaning up and making space.  The one thing about having all the vehicles inside is that the 64 Dodge D300, which serves as a shop truck amongst other things is inside and readily available to be loaded with scrap.  A lot of what I've picked up in the last few years has been the one price take it all kind of deal.  I have tried to sort out the good stuff as I go but it seems like you get half way through it, then a squirrel runs past and you lose focus.  The time has come to finish the sorting!  As I go, I keep tossing the scrap in the back as it's handy.  Doesn't matter if it is a big chunk or a little piece, over the side it goes and it's gone!  One nice dry day in the spring I'll take the load to the scrap yard.  

20240110_105228.jpg.e040009dcaadd0a8278edbc56797a7a2.jpg

20240110_105235.jpg.490b7e946acafc8dea28dcfc490a94ed.jpg

All the stuff on the floor here is NOS parts that fit the post office LLV - the little Grumman postal vehicles and if you could get your hands on one they actually fit the AACA mandate as they were built from 87 to 95 I believe.  Based off a shortened S10 frame with an Iron Duke 4 cyl but other bits and pieces were custom made or from other manufactures.  Unfortunately here in Canada the Post Office is crushing all of them as they take them out of service.  Some might end up in private hands in the US.  Most of this stuff is now in the swap meet pile while a few pieces will go to Ebay.   A couple of the pieces did end up in the scrap pile.  

20240109_133242.jpg.4a7bb0f5faf600d04dafffe9a0ca6e82.jpg

20240110_124720.jpg.46c4354cadd9bdf9f4206322d04ceb07.jpg

The last area of attack today was this corner - this is more of that take it all for one price stuff.  Anyone need Datsun 510 wheel well trim - I've got two sets NOS!  This corner was mostly parts that came out of a closed Volvo dealer that had been in Langton, Ontario.  He started selling Volvo's in the late 60's early 70's and then branched in Datsun and Suzuki.  It was interesting auction sale (online during the pandemic) and we went to do the pickup I got talking to the auction people and turns out there had been 3 Tatras in the building that were sold prior to the sale.   There was a lot of different items in there and I just stumbled upon a box of NOS Volvo brochures from 1985.  All those cars have a following but the Datsuns are mostly along the west coast and some larger cities in the East.  Some of the parts are going online later tonight, some is added to the swap meet pile and then some is just going, either scrap or the circular file.   Now that I've got a few small areas cleaned out it's much easier to start chipping away a the neighbouring area.  

20240103_152800.jpg.fa6c2149ac325462e22985a5c0f566e8.jpg

CleanCorner.jpg.ac92294881a9f412b936f25c28b19ff3.jpg

• Like 4

The few surviving 510's around here are highly valued. But rust killed off 99.5 % of them decades ago. Late 1970's / early 1980's almost everyone I knew had at least one of them. I only had one , plus 2 Datsun 1200's. All are sought after these days. If you spent more than about $400.00 you overpaid, I fixed blown head gaskets on a few  owned by friends. About their only weak spot. Actually usually a warped head.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, 3macboys said:

That would be a great help Jack and much appreciated.  It's an 18 hp but the rest of the details I have no idea.  The motor belongs to my friend and I'm fairly certain he doesn't know the complete history of it.  But it came from a cottage up north in Temagami, Ont.  Not sure if the tag below is enough info for you to go by.  It hasn't run in several years so I'm sure the first thing to do is to clean the fuel system.  We started going through it last spring but didn't have it mounted solid enough to anything to try to start it.  About as far as we got was a bit of cleaning and fresh plugs.

20240110_150454.jpg.7933ee6a7c3798f676bac2634307c579.jpg

20240110_150527.jpg.fcdc097f31a15908a3fbdc96f4b6d70a.jpg

I can work with this.

I will be to the shop later today.

• Thanks 1