A Year in the Life of My Shop

I would give my brother a heads to check out your shop and say HI for me, but I just heard word that he is heading stateside for Easter.

I appreciate all of what vendors do to make swap meets what they are. I am amazed when I go to Hershey (and the likes) and see people with tables full of parts. I CANT imagine packing up all of that stuff, unloading, organizing it on tables only to pack it all up again in a day or two and loading it back into their vehicle. Seems like way too much work for me, LOL.

• Like 1

I will say that half the deal with swap meets is the shaking hands and talking to others that you haven't seen for awhile - particularly this time of year.  Now if you go home with a lighter truck and heavier pockets AND you got to catch up with a bunch of people it's a great day!

I didn't get a lot of time in the shop today other than to pull the pump out of the EvapoRust and dry it off.  Just a word to the wise, EvapoRust will not attack paint, BUT, it will attack any corrosion under the paint which will leave the paint nothing left to bond to.  Which is a long winded way of saying, expect some paint loss, it's going to happen.  Not a big deal, I'll pick up some fresh paint tomorrow after I hit the post office - the store is basically next door and finish off the process of putting in new packing and freshen up the appearance. 

image.jpeg.9c2ab785c5b8111825c239951349cd4a.jpeg

• Like 4

Sooo, as luck would have it the store was out of the paint that I was after.  It is now on order from a local parts store and should hopefully be available on Friday.  In the meantime the packing is in and the pump is ready for it's make over

image.jpeg.36e0054e3d0efb9d4a49963b41333499.jpeg

I kid about being the fleet and facilities manager for my father and since the fleet project is temporarily on hold, I put on the facilities hat and turned my attention to the bathroom.  The faucets haven't worked for way too long - combination of the seats being shot and the handles being corroded on the inside and spinning on the stems.   I know, pretty fancy sink for a shop but it was left in the basement of my parents house when they bought their house in the late 80s and we needed a sink when we put in the bathroom.

image.jpeg.8a0bd427100511c3563df62acfc1b818.jpeg

So out came the sink today and stand by for the finished product - my wife has a vision for it.  The upside is that her vision means that she has buy in to the place and I just have to execute said vision.

image.jpeg.f6896adbcbe23ba3f2b0ca5fb5a42f91.jpeg

By noon it was near 70 here so a good day to look after some of the outdoor maintenance - why is it you can rake and mulch everything in the fall and still end up with a truck load in the spring?

image.jpeg.0ae944b357781f4f7e79236a7bcf1e3b.jpeg

• Like 2

On 1/1/2024 at 2:38 PM, J.H.Boland said:

My wife took this photo of me behind your parts counter reliving my days as a parts guy, on a recent visit our HASC region paid to your shop. You have your work cut out for you !  Jim 

Jim reinacting his partsman days.JPG

I often make a similar reference, "You have your phun cut out for U!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The paint came in yesterday so I was able to get a fresh coat on the water pump of the Star today.  My paint table is an old camp stool - that expanded metal seat is fantastic and the legs fold up when not in use.

image.jpeg.21e4a893fd8149068c999b5a1b74552a.jpeg

The bathroom is a work in progress but it's just like working on cars right?  A little paint and metal work....

image.jpeg.19317c96518296048c484516a1866a61.jpeg

I hope to have it together this week but just might have to wait to post the finish product until after the open house.  

• Like 3

The bathroom is almost complete, it is at least completely functional with a working toilet AND sink.  I guess I can no longer refer to it as typical shop bathroom and direct people to wash up in the laundry sink on the other side of it - almost becoming a classy establishment!  After playing a bit of catch up getting stuff put away my decided to tackle a couple of rooms at the house since our youngest is 19, she thought we likely didn't require a toy room anymore filled with all the toys of 3 boys, so you can guess where the surplus is headed.  In the meantime I managed to eliminate a whole bankers box today, a small victory but a victory none the less.  

For those that buy out large lots of NOS parts and those that wonder about how that all works out this is a not unusual find in those lots.  As I was sorting that bankers box of parts I found these two Ford parts boxes.  My first first thought is "oh those are older and promising" and the names of the parts on the label seemed promising too

image.jpeg.9cd8d1a33d2c7e9db2fa0e220db802db.jpeg

But alas, I opened them boxes to find the following contents - they do match the description but....

image.jpeg.64b83cf03e50f40cccfac977a5f5f5a9.jpeg

Definitely not NOS and I only have two keys for 4 cylinders plus no clue what they fit along with who wants only one lock cylinder that doesn't match the other ones on their car?  It is not unusual to find used parts in the original boxes from dealer lots - electrical parts are the worse from mechanics throwing parts at a problem until they fixed it and either they left the new part on the vehicle and put the used one in the box or they took the new part back off and put it back in the box but now it has marks from mounting it and no one will pay NOS money as it's not "New" anymore.   So yes we do end up sorting through all those new parts so what you might thing is a huge amount of what must be big dollar parts (in reality most NOS parts are in the $25 to 50 range with some more, some less)  I won't even get into the warranty replacement parts with the original part put back in the box and now you have a part that was no good from new, looking like it might be an NOS part.  You'd be surprised how many chrome parts you find in original boxes with the chrome peeling.  Not all parts had to returned to the factory for warranty claims but most dealers held onto them at least for awhile until they were paid.  Just a bit of insight for you all, into the parts seller world and remember to be kind if something goes wrong with an NOS part.  The vast majority of sellers do their best but we can't catch all the little shenanigans that went on at the dealers in years gone by.

• Like 3

My neighbor passed away unexpectedly, he had a large garage full of stuff. After awhile his widow had me come over and pick through whatever I wanted before the auction company came. I wasnt going to take anything of value as I knew the auction co would want that stuff but I did grab few boxes of parts that I thought may be something to someone. One was a brand new box of pistons. After I got home and opened it up I found they were a used set, although they were from a super duty motor! I tried to give them away with no luck. Still trying to figure out some kind of art work idea to use them up. AND, most of the other stuff I got ended up being junk to me, oddball gaskets and such. If I had an inventory and was selling stuff then it would have been fine but I think it all ended up in the bin.

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

Still trying to figure out some kind of art work idea to use them up

If you have a set or rods to go with them you could always turn them into desk clocks with the clock going in the crank end.  I've got a set of small block Chev ones that came from my late uncle that I can't bring myself to toss because of where they came from.

Edited by 3macboys (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Theres a guy that sets up at the mall (a fellow aaca member) that sells all sorts of auto related stuff that he has made into lamps and such. Very creative ideas. I have even offered the pistons free of charge to a couple of pontiac clubs to be made into trophies but no takers.

Posted (edited)

My first attempt at making a gasket has so far turned out okay.  I've been channeling my grandfather, who my father says used to make a lot of his own gaskets "back in the day"

image.jpeg.048f2ad9de7313e848f1481f9b3c7528.jpeg

After tracing the outside edges I did a bit of shading on the flat surface with a pencil to outline the opening.  I'll borrow a punch from my wife's scrapbooking tools for the bolt holes tomorrow.

image.jpeg.d82c05e473ca87b6492e3b89eeb2149e.jpeg

As I continued with the finishing touches of the bathroom today I ended up with a sudden burst of free flowing water but more details of that to follow in couple of weeks!  I'm blaming my rule that you have to buy at least one new tool for every project.  At the end of the day no damage was done and I'm a convert to PEX water lines, and yes I do have one new tool!

Edited by 3macboys (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Much appreciated Pete!  Now I have an extra reason to attend my own open house!  I will warn you that you might have more than one student.  This was the end result of my efforts and I have not re-mounted the pump yet - someone forgot to paint the brackets that wrap around the hose on the shaft.   

image.jpeg.f34ba3941180226d784c031a71879dfe.jpeg

• Like 1

No big pictorial updates today.  The last few days I have been busy getting things straightened up and put away as best I can for next weekend.  Nothing like inviting people over for a visit to force to sweep the floors and clean the windows!  After what looked to be an early spring the weather the last few days was distinctly winter but the sun is shining again today and the temps are supposed to be good all week so I'll see what of the fleet I can give a little exercise to next week.  This weekend is a bit of right of as far as shop time but we are off to the thriving metropolis of Embro, Ontario tomorrow (the old joke was 500 souls including the cows) for the Bob Hayward Story.  It's a play about Bob and the Miss Supertest, an unlimited hydroplane.  

Miss Supertest - The Bob Hayward Story - 104.7 Heart FM

It is an interesting history and there is a bit of a loose connection with my in-laws family.  So I'm told back in the day my wife's great uncle owned the GM dealership in the village and Bob would work on his own projects after hours in the shop - that is until a strict curfew was enforced and the lights were turned out!   The little tidbits of local lore / history you hear along the way.

Finally got a chance to get my hands dirty again!  The weather here on Friday was blowing snow and todays it's shirt sleeves- you have to love the weather of southwestern Ontario in the spring!  It's time to show a little love to the '64 D300.  The nice thing about it being a one ton is that everything is off the ground, added bonus it's parked by the one overhead door and with the weather today nice and easy to get at.

image.jpeg.9a6a2ef74b2ff5bc2bcc07d26e1229a0.jpeg

This is one vehicle that the engineers were thinking about the guy working on it, that hood opens a mile wide and the drain plug for the oil pan is at the front, you hardly even have to crawl underneath it

image.jpeg.d5bed520b51f28cf14d24860f376edc2.jpeg

When we first got the truck, under the hood and under the dash was a complete birds nest of wiring, many that didn't even go anywhere.  With time it has gotten better, though not perfect.  I think this week will be giving it a bit more attention under the hood

image.jpeg.0ee71798ad29038463a052e40be6b816.jpeg

image.jpeg.d78f58b0f1967783484de8ced52e4cca.jpeg

image.jpeg.40c97139f7903a9f6345bd9d35553d5e.jpeg

The debris under the hood is front the truck getting left outside on occasion and leaves and the like falling on it.  I'll get that cleaned up this week and then work away at the rest to make it a little bit more presentable.  It's a shop truck and a good 20 footer at that, but it can still look decent and like it's taken care off.  The first oil change in the fleet is done!  I noticed the dirt/mud encrusted axle and suspension that I'm pretty sure came with the truck when we got it from Wyoming.  

image.jpeg.6a16a70aa86316171eb59085941907d6.jpeg

image.jpeg.ae26c6fb37fdec818cc920e68d33ff33.jpeg

We've taken care to preserve the window sticker.  We've never really figured out what it was used for out there but it suits our purposes just find.  Sometimes a $500 Ebay vehicle purchase does work out!

• Like 3

Do the rest of you find that you constantly have little projects from the house invade your shop?  A little minor reno project at the house and another piece of furniture to glue back together.  I've got more space the shop and most of my tools have migrated there from the house so it becomes the defacto workshop for everything.

image.jpeg.e8980f1452a4963f3948dd0760704991.jpeg

I do have some woodwork to do on one of the vehicles so it does make sense to have everything there, but in the meantime the home repairs continue!

It was a bit of a day of catch up and just general tiding around the place.  I've had a bunch of headlight lenses soaking in a tub of water and Dawn dish detergent for a week or so.  They were absolutely filthy and caked in dirt.  After the long soak it just took a light scrub to finish them off.  It's nice to have the space to let the soak do the hard work.

image.jpeg.4b6fb9572b566c1ea6e225fe62ddb78b.jpeg

Taking a good look at the two in the top left 

image.jpeg.68abfa04774bae7292e25d27e3524a53.jpeg

They are actually plate glass that has been cut to the appropriate size.  The left one is much heavier glass and you can see where they had to nibble away at the edges to get the shape, while the other one has a fairly smooth edge - either way someone went to a lot of trouble to make a lens.  Interesting solution from in the day.

• Like 2

You know, sometimes the best way to clean up is just an old fashioned run to the dump...

image.jpeg.7b8c0b15474c2a01c1019df4f050afcf.jpeg

By the time I was done the box was full and the backseat even had stuff in it including a garbage can full of broken window glass that I was really glad to get rid of.  Best 10 bucks I spent today was on the tipping fees - it's the minimum charge here.   The shop is 220 lbs lighter!

Next up was tiding up the tire rack

image.jpeg.b8e5c4acc88af3d99c8f9c4fb7717612.jpeg

There's tires on there just need to go but I want to keep the rims so either I figure out what's wrong with the tire machine that was left at the shop or convince the tire shop I deal with to remove the tires for me.   Most of the tires are either sets of snows or summers for my wife's car and my friends two daily drivers.   There is a set of snows for a Dodge Journey on factory rims if anyone is looking for a set cheap - they belong to my sister who has a new vehicle and I think forgot I have the snows here.  Nothing disappeared off the rack but it is at least cleaned up to where nothing is blocking the daylight coming through the window anymore.  Basically, it just looks better and sometimes that's good enough for now.

image.jpeg.f7d2afbcc464755c346b9bb0bb7ddb09.jpeg

BTW I believe that I  have the market cornered on Metropolitan rims - that's the stack to the right of the tire rack.

• Like 3

My first thought was, that doesnt look like a load for the transfer station, maybe half a load, LOL. Ours is $14 for the first hundred pounds or so then an add on. Not very often do we get by with $14, its usually something like $20-$25. It does feel good cleaning stuff up and throwing stuff away though (and this is coming from a pack rat).

Kerry, you are correct about that only being about half a load - the other half was till in the shop when I grabbed that picture!  No point in going with half a truck load when you can fill it up!

Every once in while the light bulb does go off in my head.  I've had a bunch of headlight lens laying around for awhile and since I finally got around to cleaning them the next issue was where and how do I store them?  I was packing up some stuff to ship today and grabbed one of the many computer motherboard boxes that I have squirrelled away and as I looked over at the table covered in lenses I thought to myself....I wonder??? Low and behold a perfect fit.  Now I've got about a dozen or so lenses safely stored away and labeled as to what they are.

image.jpeg.1a21df58b1bae8cb4c131d715853300b.jpeg

image.jpeg.ec713afe144e2f77329d83abe8fbbb0c.jpeg

From experience I can tell you do not write on the lens with a Sharpie or leave a permanent price sticker on them - both with time are an absolute pain to clean off.   The real bonus to my solution is that now I can take them to a swap meet and they are easy to display, the boxes will fit nicely into the wire baskets that I have, and for the buyer they'll have a safe way to transport them home!  In the meantime they are stored neatly on a shelf out of the way. 

• Like 2

A little back tracking today on the bathroom reno.  As I've said before my wife tolerates the shop and does actually contribute ideas so the vanity was something that she had found on Pinterest a while ago.  The hardest part was actually finding a suitable cabinet that had doors on the bottom to make the plumbing accessible.  A little trip to Home Depot for the cabinet, sink and faucet(as luck would have it they were all on sale!) and then Princess Auto (sort of the Canadian version of Harbor Freight) for the checker plate.  Next up was the layout for the sink cut out.  The first picture is more than a little fuzzy but gives you an idea.

image.jpeg.87960d01070b7344a488f1a77f671c00.jpeg

image.jpeg.b4c905dcacb1d934c6a8487e065af07a.jpeg

This is where it became decision time as to how to make the actual cut and not to mention that there's not covering a screw up if you go too big.  The choices for cutting tools were the plasma cutter, a jig saw or a grinder with a cut off wheel.  I was concerned about the heat from the plasma cutter on the paint as there is not a lot of extra play room between the lip and the sink.  With the jig saw I was concerned about the thin gauge of the cabinet steel so I decided that the cutoff wheel was the best choice.

image.jpeg.ba0dd2280171704d98893a9e84a6b7f8.jpeg

After a deep breath and holding a steady hand this is the end result

image.jpeg.681c180600f4fb2b0802fb00f3ee85a8.jpeg

I might add that a hoodie sweatshirt was sacrificed to the project - never would have thought that it was made with enough polyester/nylon that the front pocket actually melted from the sparks from the cutoff wheel.

A little progress on the walls

image.jpeg.f1b54565b719483776b54605ee68493e.jpeg

And the finished product

image.jpeg.84cabde6d8cc7c2f0773e0dc6afae2ce.jpeg

The towel rack is robe rail out of a late 20's Buick.  The other end was broken and I've had it sitting around for a few years and finally came up with a use for it.

All in all a relatively seamless project except for a little drama when I went to refasten the bracket for the water supply line.  It's not really obvious in the picture above but I took that picture right after the drama happened.  The bronze fitting is the water meter and that's the line into the building.  I snapped that line trying to bend the bracket to fit tight against the wall.

image.jpeg.c98ef68e2e225c55dba047d55cee7f5f.jpeg

The white line hanging down should be attached to the left of the shut off valve - thankfully I broke it on the outlet side and not the inlet side!  After a brief "What the ....!!!"  I quickly hit the shut off and really no harm done.  A new fitting and that previously mentioned every project requires a new tool (I had never used PEX before and had to buy a crimping tool) and all was right with the world again.  

• Like 7

I love it. One of our specialties is bathroom remodeling. I have cut up a variety of pieces over the years to make vanities. I have used a simple old pine wood plank to a beautiful reproduction lowboy. That tool box is a new one on me! Strictly from a construction point of view, what did you do with the drawers?

1 hour ago, TAKerry said:

I love it. One of our specialties is bathroom remodeling. I have cut up a variety of pieces over the years to make vanities. I have used a simple old pine wood plank to a beautiful reproduction lowboy. That tool box is a new one on me! Strictly from a construction point of view, what did you do with the drawers?

Once I had the top cut, I just took a square to line up into the drawers and basically just turned the into a U shape - the drawers do actually still function, though I'm not sure that they are really useable for anything.  

image.jpeg.5ce2773a12558516cdd39d0626cca640.jpeg

• Like 1

Today I remounted the water pump on the 26 Star.  It's always a little pet peeve of mine that you cleanup whatever part you are working on then when you put it back on the fasteners really stick out.  Not to mention the area around the part that you just did, but one thing at a time.

image.jpeg.5f2b66bfe2065b0c38596e88065e4cf4.jpeg

My solution is to pick up some cheap dollar store brushes and the Solo cup in your favourite colour.

image.jpeg.52e7d88d4683b9e66e7572badfc21c8f.jpeg

Spray the paint in the cup for a few seconds

image.jpeg.24d19349600d29d272daecb386ddd886.jpeg

And now you have your touch up paint

image.jpeg.b897b68e055888077481d346efd1fccf.jpeg

Its always amazing what you see in pictures that you didn't notice in person, as I see I need a bit more touch up!

When I checked the mail today my latest purchase to add to the showroom had arrived.  I found a lot of 4 of these on Marketplace at a fantastic price and one of them will be added to my collection of Mopar dealer trunk tags.  Incredibly these ones are NOS.

image.jpeg.da7db443bfc1091d41b2b3db49a2dc83.jpeg

• Like 4

The previous owner of the building popped in this morning to say that he was looking to get his boat out early next week.  Not an issue except.....I had it partially, well fully blocked in with a table covered in parts and manuals on one side and the riding mower on the other side.  Actually, he helped me out by forcing me to tackle that pile of stuff.  This table was completely covered and stacked when I started.  Not to mention all the stuff on the floor under it.

image.jpeg.43f19c6ef1c0e65a615750c9e0ae4085.jpeg

Some stuff will go online, some will be scrap, some recycling and then the rest will be tossed.  There was actually a bunch of metric fasteners there as well, so those will get added to the "in stock" inventory in the parts room.  After a short time clear space and the boat is clear to go out the door.

image.jpeg.9e10a6372f21f9628ae37218590dda29.jpeg

Sometimes it's good to a get a little kick in the butt to tackle a little project that you've been meaning to get to.

As you can tell I tend to just keep chipping away at things a little bit at a time.  And so it goes on the 26 Star.  I pulled the bottom rad hose and tube off today and gave it a cleaning.  Even though the rad fluid rad clean it was amazing how much crud came out of that tube.  I've left it on the drying rack overnight, which might also turn into the paint rack tomorrow. 

image.jpeg.83306ddd366cd0a392b02e4b47036e13.jpeg

I found a rad hose in the shop that is the right size that I can cut to length.  It's good to be able to go shopping and not leave home!  I then turned my attention to finding hose clamps that are more appropriate than the gear clamps that were on the rad hose.   Ron had left behind a fair amount of old hardware so every project usually results in a little rummaging to see what is already here.  I did find this stash on hand

image.jpeg.8f2857b208629714d90062541b3ce5b1.jpeg

Unfortunately I did not have a Goldilocks moment and they were all too big or too small and none were just right.  I checked around at the local parts stores as well and all they have are gear clamps so it's online shopping time.  

• Like 2

I hope everyone appreciates the lengths that I went to  in "masking" the bottom tube running from the rad to the water pump.

image.jpeg.f3a956ba0296183b0d4130eb2c054cbd.jpeg

Unfortunately the kit of wire hose clamps that I ordered did not the contain the right size, online it looked like I had it covered but the clamps were all either just under sized or just oversized.  I'm not in a big panic as the gas tank is still out be repaired and there is a swap meet close by in Ancaster, Ont on the 28th with put on by the Road Runners Car Club - honorable mention to @Skvitt who is part of that club.  With any luck I might be able to score some clamps there.  For those in Buffalo/Niagara Falls area of New York State the fairgrounds are only about an hour over the border and if the weather is decent the number of vendors is usually fairly large (I'd only be guessing but I'd say 2-300 on a good day).  The organizers do a pretty good job of ensuring it is all automotive related - no one can be perfect but I'd say they get it 90 to 95% or better.   

I did have a rad hose of the right diameter on hand so that has been cut to length and everything is now set to go back together as soon as I get the clamps

image.jpeg.0ffe80f4fb35de41235ad8b99288446e.jpeg

With the weather being fantastic the last couple of days I took advantage of it to look after a little bit of the yard work.  There's wild grape vine that grows in a few spots long the chain link fence of the compound at the back of the property.  I had cut back some last year and today with there being no leaves let it gave me a chance to really go at it.  I've got it cut back to the ground now.  The garden waste depot for the village is about 3 blocks away so a quick load the truck and it's gone!

image.jpeg.c0cbba684808bab225a6e9cfa2de19f3.jpeg

Over the next few days a few of the vehicles in storage in the shop should be leaving for the season which means that it's time to start awakening the rest of the fleet and getting behind the wheel!

• Like 3

Yesterday afternoon was spent with several thousand of my closest friends at Long Point, Ontario for the eclipse

image.jpeg.ea2b1d4e4c6da05998082c387819721b.jpeg

My picture from my phone doesn't do justice to it but we had about 3 1/2 minutes of totality complete with pretty sunset across the horizon on the lake

image.jpeg.a74180a6e460e2f58360951541549c1e.jpeg

Considering the next eclipse won't hit these parts for another 120 years I'm pretty sure I won't be around to see it but maybe the cars will be!

After the eclipse it was auction time!  I had left bids on an online auction plus we headed to a real old school live auction - cash and cheques with no buyers premium and no credit cards.  Mostly household antiques and the sort but I did manage to snag this tail light lens which I believer is correct for the 1930 Dodge.  Even better was the price!  You just never know where you'll find your parts.

image.jpeg.3bcf2d0aa2451298ef5e0df63da73382.jpeg

The only other thing we picked up was a box of ephemera that included a few vintage Ontario roadmaps. 

The online auction was mostly excellent quality automotive pieces such as tins and signs.  I had left a few low bid knowing that I wouldn't be able to follow along.  I ended up getting one lot - not the best condition and I will say that the shape of these bottles was the exception to the rule in this sale, everything else was pretty pristine.  That all being said, I didn't have these ones in my collection of Mopar tins/bottles so they are a welcome addition, especially at the price and I can always trade up later. 

image.jpeg.94b6150d718409680dbd41afca424d39.jpeg

• Like 2

My wife loves auctions but I try to keep her away. She makes up her mind that she has to have something and WILL NOT be underbid. Wrong attitude to have at an auction. We have a local auction house in town that does a lot of estate sales. Buying from them is pretty easy and because its 5 minutes away shipping is not a problem. The last item I put a low bid on just because was for a bottle of Dom Perignon. Little did I think I would win but I did. AND I dont drink!!! Still sitting in a cool dark place. IF the internet has any merit according to prices at this point it would sell for about 5x what I paid. Last I looked empty bottles and boxes sell for more than what I paid.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Spring has most definitely sprung and that means that its time of the previous owner's boat to leave the building for the season!  I honestly don't mind storing it and it does keep a cap on what can be brought into the building but once the nice weather arrives it's nice to have the space freed up to get access to the running and driving vehicles.

image.jpeg.dad7876e6c6298f4d2ad67364ae34884.jpeg

Now that space did not stay free for long.  I moved the 64 down there along with the riding mower

image.jpeg.a100106b82bc3ccce0b7d7f926c5151a.jpeg

That shuffle means that upstairs in the main shop the through way from the front to the rear overhead doors now only has three cars and my parents have also taken their Challenger out for the season as well.  The snow blower has already found a new home along the outside wall.

image.jpeg.39c05bdf3775ef4d3d4def0633e3488b.jpeg

image.jpeg.4c4522c0df4f41b89030f654c421ca21.jpeg

Before any more cars get moved I'll clean up along that outside wall.  There's a few keep parts, a few to move to new homes and a few things that just need to go!

• Like 6

The last few days have not brought a lot of visible progress as I've been chipping away at adding to my Ebay listings and move small piles here and there onto shelves as they get listed.  I just realized that since I started selling there I've taken over 100 000 pictures.  I couldn't even imagine the cost to process that if they had been on film.  I keep saying that I couldn't do what I'm doing if it wasn't for the internet and digital cameras.

A pretty good wind storm rolled through last night, still gusting pretty good as I type this, but overnight was around 80 kph, (50 mph) gusts which today meant that it was pick up sticks time.  I was pleasantly surprised that this is all that I ended up with but considering that we don't even have any trees on the property it is one more of little things that has to be taken care of.

image.jpeg.88a503b522a2aabe46ef5d1a84219003.jpeg

I've gotten to work cleaning up the outside wall, now that I can get to it.  I thought I had taken a before picture but I guess not.  This corner was stuffed with a couple of propane heaters, a bin full of literature (that I had forgot all about) and a large Supertest can.  All of that stuff will be going to the next swap meet if it doesn't find a new home before then.  I'll keep working my way out from that corner down the wall and who knows what other treasures I'll find!

image.jpeg.135a6c998390ce94c7601a74268b42a1.jpeg

• Like 3

On 3/12/2024 at 4:52 PM, 3macboys said:

I will say that half the deal with swap meets is the shaking hands and talking to others that you haven't seen for awhile - particularly this time of year.  Now if you go home with a lighter truck and heavier pockets AND you got to catch up with a bunch of people it's a great day!

I didn't get a lot of time in the shop today other than to pull the pump out of the EvapoRust and dry it off.  Just a word to the wise, EvapoRust will not attack paint, BUT, it will attack any corrosion under the paint which will leave the paint nothing left to bond to.  Which is a long winded way of saying, expect some paint loss, it's going to happen.  Not a big deal, I'll pick up some fresh paint tomorrow after I hit the post office - the store is basically next door and finish off the process of putting in new packing and freshen up the appearance. 

image.jpeg.9c2ab785c5b8111825c239951349cd4a.jpeg

If I had a water pump with a shaft that looked that corroded I would figure that probably more than just packing is needed.

5 hours ago, 1912Staver said:

If I had a water pump with a shaft that looked that corroded I would figure that probably more than just packing is needed.

My thought process is to start off with the simple fix first before going in for major surgery.  I was thinking the same thing but it spins freely and now that I know how it all goes together and comes apart it won't be a big deal if I need to dig in further.  It's kind of the way that I used to look at work - hope for the best and prepare for the worst.  

• Like 1

Not everything about the shop is about getting it cleaned up - it really is all about the cars and today the sun was shining, blue sky, just right around 20 C (just under 70F).  Fluids checked, tire pressure checked and adjusted.  I can't tell you the last time the top was up on this car.

image.jpeg.265361d6d00141d7c540861216c5e56a.jpeg

Because this is what it's about....

image.jpeg.b97b514855cda00f7da034ca446d0681.jpeg

It was a nice Sunday morning run to town to fill up with the good fuel.  About 20 kms(12 miles) round trip but a nice little shake down run for the season.  

Later on the in day the last vehicle that was in storage was picked up and we can now offer drive through service!

image.jpeg.e6042321208dd778caa33f83b5cce3bb.jpeg

A few more pieces down the centre will be disappearing this week and next Saturday we will be hosting the local HASC (Historical Automobile Society of Canada) group for their yearly safety check.   One of my goals had been to have this clear passage way for them so that no one has to back up.  

• Like 3

I don't have a lot of seat time in the 1931 Pontiac and I am still getting used to it and getting it sorted sitting.  I had it out for a run around the village today and as I slowly figure things out I had the unpleasant experience of the throttle getting hung up, not once but twice.  Of course it was in third gear just as I was wanting to down shift.  I quickly realized the pedal was getting hung up on the carpet but still a little disconcerting when it first happens.  A quick pull back on the pedal with the side of my foot rectified it but I was reaching for the ignition key and pushing the clutch in just in case!  I'll keep taking this one for 5 block runs until I feel more confident in its operation.   On a side note on this car, a couple of weeks ago I received a notice in the mail from a collection agency for a parking violation in a private lot - in downtown Toronto, in the middle of February!  At first I was puzzled by the plate number shown on the notice as a I didn't recognize it right away as it wasn't on one of our two daily drivers, aside from the fact that we hadn't been in Toronto at the time.  The next trip to the shop I confirmed that it was the plate on this car - needless to say that when I called both collection company and parking lot company both were more than a little surprised when I told them the plate that car was registered to!  I have to compliment both of the people that I spoke to - very polite and pleasant and great customer service for someone who wasn't and didn't want to become a customer!

20240408_100726.jpg

• Like 2

On 4/15/2024 at 5:50 AM, 3macboys said:

............next Saturday we will be hosting the local HASC (Historical Automobile Society of Canada) group for their yearly safety check......

I like to see that! Pic's please, 📸 should be very interesting.

• Like 1

I'm curious to see what cars show up on Saturday as well.  I joined this club and my father joined the HASC.  A condition of participating in any tour with that group is that they have to do their safety inspection each year.  My understanding is that it is not a substitute, nor intended to be a replacement for the safety inspection that you have to do to register your vehicle here in Ontario, but more of a second or third set of eyes going over the cars each spring to make sure all is in order but I will get more details on that on Saturday and report back.  On a side note, here in Ontario the only safety inspection required for passenger cars is when they are first registered in the new owners name, we don't have yearly inspections and they did away with the emissions testing a few years ago.   Commercial vehicles are different and require yearly inspections.  Ongoing safety issues are dealt with by police and Ministry of Transport inspectors.

Now back to the regular program....yesterday I notice a little pool of fluid behind the right front tire of the 51 Plymouth - bit of an odd spot and at first look I couldn't see where it was coming from but at least it wasn't still dripping.

image.jpeg.91f3c1fee0153b4145f357db4c85656e.jpeg

A little bit of detective work today and I notice this pool on the intake which is right in line with where the little pool was on the ground

image.jpeg.991749f32509fe79a2f30f787d590574.jpeg

And the ultimate culprit was this "dress up" hose that is on the car - one more knock against modified cars as it makes for twice as many connections for the upper rad hose.  One of the clamps had come loose where the flex hose fits into a rubber hose and the flex one had started to pull free.  It's tightened back up and I'll have to keep an eye that the fix is in!  

image.jpeg.eaf6b6ec317506a674a0a0be2bfd187c.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

Today was the day to target the outside wall.  I've become convinced that we are all accidental hoarders - we didn't intend to get that way but we have a hard time parting with something that we might need in the future or that someone else might need.  That at least helps to explain all those small cut off pieces of wood that we can't seem to part with or wheels and tires, transmissions....

These first few pictures are more or less the starting point of the day

image.jpeg.6de95b9b982f9c32cd99527e50f75756.jpeg

image.jpeg.2b57d7472821bdb5a1806fa21d4a4e7a.jpeg

image.jpeg.3cf83e716b11b48a7707c877b7243b8f.jpeg

I don't know how much demand there is out there for the rear end from a 1923 or so Dodge and all four doors from a 1966 Plymouth VIP hardtop but I've them in stock!  Again,  someone, somewhere either does or will need them and they are way too good for scrap.

image.jpeg.78deeedd4a498426ed484e5a09db9220.jpeg

The oven that you can see came from the house.  It's not hooked up and it all still works.  The original thought was that we could try our hand at powder coating small parts.  The right power is right where it is, I just need to wire in the proper outlet.  Now that I can get to it again there's not really an excuse so stay tuned.  I think that you could play a mad game of eye spy or even a What is it? thread everything along that wall.  I'll admit to finding more than one part that I didn't realize was there.

image.jpeg.174d0f9b97b349f1eb1ec36cec871ad6.jpeg

• Like 2