A Year in the Life of My Shop

Posted (edited)

By the end of the day this is where I was at.  I'll admit that it's not perfect but I can at least see what's there and it will have to do until I can to the other side of the shop.

image.jpeg.396b84da76dffe99a1651eab2bb38d48.jpeg

image.jpeg.d4c53d1683933e940242f39e73e789f6.jpeg

image.jpeg.38f8461835bab5c11295ac770837ae97.jpeg

image.jpeg.be6768c63c26daf587e1525c226c25f0.jpeg

Just before I stopped for the day I pulled down this set of wheels and tires that a fellow is coming to get in the morning put replaced them with the 4 extra wheels that we have fro the 1930 Ford AA truck.  I swear that wheels were filled with concrete!  

image.jpeg.8ba3d52062aed122e8078d59c9019e53.jpeg

image.jpeg.94d17e00ed8ae718bc5dbe2380314dd4.jpeg

It's a good thing that my sister that those Dodge Journey wheels belongs to isn't on the forum - she doesn't know yet that they've been sold.  I'll let her know when I send her the money - she no longer has that vehicle so I think that I'm safe and she lives over 5 hours away so I have a head start!

Just for reference as to how high up those AA wheels went

image.jpeg.cf3ed862dfcd0559b7dcb0c62d1d8ced.jpeg

And one last picture for @JACK M

Next up with be this corner...as long as I can find a home for that tree!

image.jpeg.460d0b6a963b851ad0b0a72e0ccf86b3.jpeg

Edited by 3macboys (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I have the same mentality, that 'I may be able to use this' or 'this is too good to throw away'. My shop and barn are full! I need a purge. I am so bad that every 4 or 5 months we do a clean out and even as Im throwing stuff into the bin at the dump I will do a second take and think do I really want to throw this away? On a rare occasion I have brought stuff back home with me. My problem is that we do a wide variety of jobs. From painting and drywall to bathrooms and tile work to building decks. Architectural millwork and most things in between. So we end up with all kinds and varieties of leftovers. Most of the time I try to return unused items but things slip by and we end up packed  with one of these and one of those that dont mean anything anymore. Thats when the purge comes into play.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, TAKerry said:

have the same mentality, that 'I may be able to use this' or 'this is too good to throw away'. My shop and barn are full! I need a purge. I am so bad that every 4 or 5 months we do a clean out and even as Im throwing stuff into the bin at the dump I will do a second take and think do I really want to throw this away?

Guilty! You know as soon as you throw it out you will need it for something a month or two later. Then you have to buy it again and it's a cheaper version of what you had and costs twice as much.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

The shop was the scene yesterday for the first of three inspection days for the local region of the HASC.  They offer three different days spread across three shop in the region.  My father belongs to the club and I've come to find out that in order to participate in any of the tours of the club you have to have passed a yearly inspection by the club.  The fellow overseeing the one at the shop is a licensed mechanic.  It consisted of a mostly visual inspection to ensure that all the lights worked, the tires were proper and no leaking hoses etc along with ensuring that every vehicle had a fire extinguisher.  

My take and only my take on it is that they want to make sure that everyone's vehicle is safe to be operated around each other and it gives the opportunity for a second opinion after the owner's.  In reality you have about a half dozen eyes on every car in a friendly, help each other out environment.  All in all it seems to make a lot of sense.

So without further ado....

It was not the warmest of days and the original forecast was a mix of sun and cloud and 6 C - I'm not saying the weatherman lied, but he certainly misspoke!

The greeting party on a cool, overcast windy morning.  All morning was just above freezing there was the odd sighting of wet flurries in the air.

image.jpeg.ea955b738191719f0ad4d390a2d64e73.jpeg

We were all set up to offer drive through service!

image.jpeg.5a9fed60ae56a30a8e001845a68fff8f.jpeg

Not a single car was trailered - this is a touring club after all.  These are some of the early arrivals.  

image.jpeg.0cd5526159ad31d8cb8c92b0d0b37447.jpeg

And a few even posed for close ups! 

image.jpeg.dedb0ead4de9012ae027dbad71244d59.jpeg

image.jpeg.26b029a76bd0cca273c3d44ccbe28b2d.jpeg

image.jpeg.847fdabeb58bbe3aef988161d866d818.jpeg

image.jpeg.d348f00b2ae308fbad55ff656ce71f43.jpeg

Some of the inspections in progress - the shop runs east west, with the front door on the west side so we could load a bunch of cars in the shop and drop the front door to block the wind and then as each car was completed they could drive straight out - no reversing required.  

image.jpeg.8ef344cd9b9d29a749751afdc0ed87db.jpeg

As you can tell there was a wide range of cars.  That 85 Lebaron convertible was purchased off of Ebay from Washington state.  The current owner flew out and drove it home to southern Ontario!

image.jpeg.718f417c0624c6e3de1c602cc5f5a3eb.jpeg

image.jpeg.aa9ea88d7c0ffe5ec9051fe9d658c889.jpeg

All in all it was a good morning - about 15 cars passed through and are ready to go for the season.  As an added bonus preparing for the day encouraged me to get more stuff squared away in the shop.

• Like 3

Todays adventure was to pick up a small load of literature that I bought from an online auction

image.jpeg.a1f02d0bc686cb2e6d80dd3c3768c8ef.jpeg

Not a lot of pieces but all good stuff that I know it's hard to believe but I don't already have.  A little added bonus was picking up lot of hanging file folders for free from an area library that they had posted on another auction site.  Those have already gone into the filling cabinets for owners manuals and sales brochures.

I've been trying to work through this bin of Chrysler Miller tools - these are the dealer tools spec'd in the repair manuals.  For those not in the know the car companies pretty much ship these to the dealers with an invoice, and they are not cheap and they are obligated to take them.  The reality is that there is not a lot of demand in the aftermarket for them and most are made so robust that the shipping is a killer but I still refuse to scrap them.

image.jpeg.d06abd196329aeddfe15f531ae25306f.jpeg

• Like 3

The weather forecast looks good so far. I hope will see you on Sunday (I may be too busy though with my chores :) ). We anticipate good turnout as for vendors, general public and classic car show. This year guys from ONDR, Ontario Nostalgia Drag Racers will be putting their cars on display.

9 hours ago, Skvitt said:

The weather forecast looks good so far. I hope will see you on Sunday (I may be too busy though with my chores :) ). We anticipate good turnout as for vendors, general public and classic car show. This year guys from ONDR, Ontario Nostalgia Drag Racers will be putting their cars on display.

My father inlaw belongs to that group but I'm not sure if he's going or not.  For those wondering about this Sunday here's the details

image.jpeg.79ceb25470ec66149f21173ba4191cd6.jpeg

And I just moved the trailer inside today to load it up!  I'll start loading tomorrow a bit but Saturday is supposed to be a bet wet so I'll finish loading the truck and trailer then.

image.jpeg.cf3a30769065ec17d848687c82839b05.jpeg

And finally a plug for the local cruise night.  Depending on weather it can range from 30 to 40 cars to 100 or more.  Good mix of restored and modified cars and the fries are excellent!

image.jpeg.c5decdd9c98c17a052e3133d8ef935be.jpeg

• Like 1

Today was a milestone day.  For the first time in at least two years the hoist is free!  My buddy and I rolled the 70 Plymouth wagon out of the way after I discovered yesterday that it has no brakes at the moment.  The car fired right up and the I got in it to drive it off the hoist and the brake pedal went right to the floor.  After checking the fluid and topping it up I managed to pump the brakes enough to get some pedal feel and then after sitting for about 2 minutes right to floor again.  No puddles under the car so I suspect a master cylinder issue but that will have to wait for another day to be confirmed.  In the meantime the hoist is now clear to use and the first patient is my buddies '75 Triumph TR6.  

image.jpeg.299a6636d217dbfd57c5768a834cbec2.jpeg

Up in the air for an oil change and brake inspection.  He has the rad back after a re-core and with any luck the car will be all back together in the next couple of days.  I did get a good chuckle as he has never used a hoist before and he was a bit like a kid in the candy store - put the car up, put the car down, put the car up, put the car down. 

• Like 3

I think thats how I would be. I cant imagine having a lift and NOT using it!  I have a buddy that has one and has offered its use whenever I need it. But his garage is a show place and not a working garage, I cant imagine spilling a bit of oil on his floor. I came close a couple of times to getting one but those efforts failed. My neighbor across the street had one similar to yours. He passed away suddenly. After about a year I approached his wife if she would sell it. She told me her car mechanic had given her a downpayment and was going to get it. Another year went by I asked her again, telling her I had cash on hand and would remove it promptly. Again same response. After about 4 years she sold her house. Again as I was helping her clean up some things in the garage I asked about the lift that was still in place. Same response, her mechanic was going to come and get it. House sold, and the new owner has a nice lift in their garage!

• Haha 1

Here is the back half of the neighbors shop that gave me the Corvette. This was taken just before we tore into the 73 to do the engine and transmission. It's a 1500 sq ft shop. He gave me a key and told me I can use what ever I need. Tools, lifts, etc.

IMG_7820.JPG.6079b48a6b94de3fe8b3c01c970dc486.JPG

Edited by Laughing Coyote (see edit history)
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Laughing Coyote said:

He gave me a key and told me I can use what ever I need. Tools, lifts, etc.

Now that's a good neighbour!  I'd like to add a 4 post at some point as well but need to free up some more space and the all important money to pay for it.

• Like 1

All loaded up for the Ancaster swap meet tomorrow.  A couple shot of the treasures as they were being loaded

20240427_124855.jpg

20240427_124905.jpg

20240427_191545.jpg

Just for a bit of reference the trailer sides are 2 feet tall and it's roughly a 7 x 10 deck.  I have a cover of plywood that I put on top and then screws it and strap it down as well as extra security.  

• Like 2

The truck was given a load as well

20240427_201829.jpg

20240427_201833.jpg

That blue tarp is going to the site of the Kmart Blue Tarp special - it's going to be covered with $5 parts.  A few spots of the shop look a little better but of course I won't know how much is really gone for sure until about 2 pm tomorrow.  Now lets hope for good weather and a bunch of buyers with long arms to reach way down into their pockets!  There's stuff in the load from the 30's up to the present.  

• Like 2

I like the plywood screwed on top as a means to secure the trailer contents. My truck came with a hard tonneau cover and my first thought was to take it off and sell. I have never had one and did not want to start. I have grown to love it, no worries about stuff flying out driving down the road. There has not been one time that I wish I had taken it off to date.

I've had two different style of covers on trucks, the one was a tri-fold, that I liked for the ease in taking it off when needed.  That one unfortunately met an untimely demise as we were heading up north - I had checked it to make sure everything was secure and then about 15 miles down the road I heard a big bang and looked in the rear view mirror to see the cover having taken flight.  Now as much as I was shocked the guy in the green Jetta behind us I'm pretty sure needed a change of shorts!  Fortunately no other damage was done and I managed to get back down the road to drag it off before it became any more of a hazard.  Turns out one of the cam locks broke at the front and just enough air was able to get under it to rip it off the truck.  Next up was a rollup on that retracted into a cylinder at the front of box, that one was great and easy to use - pull a cord from the back of the truck to cover the box and a quick release to retract it.  We use 100 lbs propane tanks at our cottage so I need to be able to have an open box to transport the tanks standing up.

This was the scene at 5:45 this morning

image.jpeg.700dfaa525ab09749ab245edc8138312.jpeg

It's just an hour to the Ancaster Fairgrounds from the house so a quick pit stop to grab coffee at Tim's and we were on the highway.

We got there just before 7 and the frantic work to unload began.  The gates opened at 8 just as we finished getting everything spread out.  My youngest, in the yellow to the right of the picture was in charge of the $5 tarp.  He was quite the salesman and drove a hard bargain - don't try to offer him a buck when he's telling you it's 5!  

image.jpeg.b9a511a853168150dfeb022a3dde829c.jpeg

image.jpeg.4f2ad22b4cee72037fb14e67dcf1b211.jpeg

image.jpeg.2880f084223a68c6de1c7e1b68971dbf.jpeg

It was a really good crowd and they were in the mood to buy.  The weather started as overcast and then the skies opened up for a brief rain around 9:30.  We covered up with some light weight painters drop cloth plastic and got the pop up shelter over the tables.  As soon as that shower stopped the people came back and the sales picked up.  A couple of vendors left after the first rain and we remarked on the way home that they missed out as it only got busier.  The rain returned again around 11:30 and that was it, everyone began to load up including us - but it didn't stop up from selling off the truck!   All in all it was a good day and we only took back home about half of what we took to sell.  Sam had fun with guys coming back 3 and 4 times to get more 5 dollar parts.

I didn't get a chance to wander myself but did grab a picture of this A Coupe that was just down our aisle.  I didn't see a price but the chassis and engine looked restored already and the body looked fairly decent.  

image.jpeg.1e1a27c7fed7dcfd711df5090be6b5a6.jpeg

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, The 55er said:

Now that's what swap meet spaces are SUPPOSED to look like. I'd like to come across more spaces like yours when I'm walking around!

The club that puts on this meet does a pretty good job of keeping it all auto related and it's not a quick walk through.  Most of the spaces are pretty jamb packed.  The meet is in a sweet spot in the province that puts them within  1 1/2 hrs of about 5 to 6 million people so its a real gathering point of the car world here.  One of those meets that you still see car club jackets worn en masse 

Was nice to see you, Don. By 1 p.m. outdoor vendors were all gone, and indoor ones started to pack. Funny enough, after we cleaned up by around 2 p.m. sun came up and rest of the day was perfect, but I was too tired to enjoy it :)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Skvitt said:

Was nice to see you, Don. By 1 p.m. outdoor vendors were all gone, and indoor ones started to pack. Funny enough, after we cleaned up by around 2 p.m. sun came up and rest of the day was perfect, but I was too tired to enjoy it :)

Serge - thank you club for another great day!  The members all great you with a smile and are always friendly.

Well folks today was the morning after...other swap meet vendors know the feeling, it's kind of like the morning after the party on Saturday night and you come down stairs to see the kitchen.

Sam and I were both beat when we got back and when I went to pull the '64 Dodge out so that we could back the trailer in it refused to start, so it was chain up the lawn tractor and pull it out of the way then we backed the trailer in, unhooked it and basically did a dump a run with what was in the truck.

image.jpeg.a90958fcff13b7289b1ac15bea426504.jpeg

I'll slowly put it away over the next few days - no point wearing myself out and every time I do a sale things get a bit more organized.  The big pile of parts that I set aside just for yesterday used to occupy this space

image.jpeg.6f9206960a3b1b3420c18e78f38e9fd5.jpeg

The challenge now is to keep that space clear!

A couple of other thoughts on the swap meet - I had three guys ask me if I had gasket sets for Model A's so for those who want to keep saying that no one is restoring prewar cars I say go suck a lemon!   Guys were looking for stuff from every era.  You always end up with flyers for other meets when you do a sale but I've never come home with so many.  Here's the ones that brought back - of note the first one is being put on by a fire department restoring a 1938 Buffalo.  I haven't looked it up yet but sounds worthy of support.

image.jpeg.d7e249428f759f9de060e5f220282aab.jpeg

Next up is the Rodders and Racers - I did this one last year and was the first time I'd been there - great sight, lots of trees on the property.  Tons of vendors and the car show looked to be well attended as well though I didn't a chance to wander as I was by myself.  From what I did see a good mix of restored and modified stuff but I find that everyone appreciates them all for there own merits.

image.jpeg.698534ce717f7b446f7c121900944e9f.jpeg

Next up is the Unfinished Nationals - the premise is just what it's called - bring you unfinished but running driving project and show off what you've been doing.  It's kind of neat to see the in progress stages.  I haven't been to their new sight but had been a couple of times to their old site at the Paris Fairgrounds and it was always well attended.

image.jpeg.eb644cbe2563e760bd587ac0ac6d3455.jpeg

This one is new this year

image.jpeg.e1e20eae9fb89af5392f54a9e5588426.jpeg

And lastly this one back in Rockton - I've never been to this one

image.jpeg.67d74b88d0349e1085af1a0dec93402e.jpeg

The people handing out the fliers included guys, girls and kids with all of them being younger than me so I think we are in good hands.

• Like 1