Just an introduction....

Hello!  Just found this site and it looks like a great place to start my search.  Would like to obtain a Chandler-Cleveland and get involved in restoration.  Family all from Cleveland and have heard many stories about Chandler.  Just for some interest, a pic of my Grandfather's car dealership on Superior Ave.  I'll bet many of you could ID every type of car!   He had several dealerships but eventually lost everything by the end of the depression.  Happy New Year!

20240101_083913.jpg

• Like 13

Google has a street view of the location.  Half of it is still a parking lot, and the building on the right still exists.  He also had dealerships on E. 152nd and one Euclid Ave., not far from the Cleveland Clinic which is now a McDonald's.  His son, my Dad, worked for years at the GM factory in Brookpark, in addition to White Motors on 79th & St. Clair.

Screenshot_20240101_092831_Google Earth.jpg

20240101_083913.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Scotty, welcome and that photo is an awesome family keepsake. Stick around and share your story and pursuit. A great group of individuals here on the AACA forums (consider joining) and they will help you in your search for a car. 

• Like 4

To read this is just so very neat, thanks to all who comment to add more information - I love stuff like this. Locations with then and now photos. WOW.

ScottyK welcome to the forums - what would be do without them!

Walt

• Like 6

I have a friend in the Detroit area with a 15 or 16 Chandler if my memory serves me. Like a 60’s back yard restoration done decent light blue and black fenders touring car. If interested let me know, and I will send you his contact info, as he told me a while back he was going to offer it for sale.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Scotty K said:

Wow...Thanks!  That helps me date this photo.  I don't know when it was taken, other than my guess of the 1930's.

Used cars in the front row would tend to be the

newest and most desirable models.  Cars then became

obsolete much faster than in later years, and especially

more so than today.  So if the used cars are all from

the late 1920's, they are probably only 1-3 years old

in the front row.

Could it be that the picture was taken in 1930 or 1931?

Thank you for the interesting then-and-now pictures.

• Like 6

I think that time period is very likely.  I noticed a person in the pic (strange I never saw him before) wearing a newsboy-style cap which would also fit that time period.  Typically fedoras after that.  I'm thinking that person may have been my Uncle Freddy who used to work for my Grandfather.  My Grandfather was doing well, and didn't think the Depression would last long, so he bought every car he could get his hands on.  Unfortunately, he couldn't sell them.  Times were tough.  He even got robbed once, but refused to press charges because the robber was just trying to feed his family.  That was around 1934.   I think he closed his last dealership around 1940.  He sure knew cars, though, and I'm told he spent more time working on those old Chandler/Clevelands than any!

• Like 7

On 1/1/2024 at 8:49 AM, Scotty K said:

Hello!  Just found this site and it looks like a great place to start my search.  

Scotty K, are you by chance Scotty Kilmer, who

produces the interesting car-repair videos on Youtube?

I have seen quite a number of them.

Regardless of your last name, welcome to the AACA Forum!

There is a lot of knowledge here to share.

• Like 1

Hi Scotty,

Welcome to the forum. On this site there is also a section devoted just for these cars:

https://forums.aaca.org/forum/54-chandler-cleveland/

Would love to hear more about your Chandler-Cleveland stories as I am the current editor for the Chandler-Cleveland Bulletin. Happy to send to a copy of the newsletter and help you get connected with our small community.

• Like 2

On 1/1/2024 at 7:52 AM, edinmass said:

I have a friend in the Detroit area with a 15 or 16 Chandler if my memory serves me. Like a 60’s back yard restoration done decent light blue and black fenders touring car. If interested let me know, and I will send you his contact info, as he told me a while back he was going to offer it for sale.

Ed I'm interested in his information as I am trying to track down all surviving Chandler=Cleveland cars for our Registry. I also have a bit of a bias as we are caretakers of a 1914 Chandler, would love to connect with another early Chandler owner.

• Like 2

Ok

Im in the hospital right now. Reach out to me next week. Thanks. Ed

• Like 2

On 1/10/2024 at 4:34 AM, edinmass said:

Ok

Im in the hospital right now. Reach out to me next week. Thanks. Ed

I am not going to ask what put you there as it is none of my business. I will say speedy recovery and leave those sexy nurses alone - they only lead to trouble!

Steve

• Like 1

Blew my elbow out, went to NYC to fix it. Feeling crappy right now……. Check with me Monday please.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/1/2024 at 7:52 AM, edinmass said:

Hey Ed,

Hope you are doing better! If you get a chance can you share with me the information on the Chandler. I may already have it, but always good to follow up all the leads on these rare early cars.

Thanks!