1957 Chevrolet corvette $65,000

Marketplace - 1957 Chevrolet Corvette | Facebook

Helping a friend sell a few cars out of his collection mostly all rare c1 and c2 cars. I listed this before but have updated it with a list and prices for a few of the cars. There are quite a few fuel injected cars and a few even more rare.. Serious inquiries only. Please call or text [hidden information] Sean

image.png.816470543bd53e1d3b8027c539202570.png

image.png.cc30cbc585ebf0360c6457cc64889b44.png

image.png.a33f143045da0ec6a71fb88c20c46a6f.png

image.png.f13035b1fcb3be7be1367a2df87e11ee.png

image.png.a3f909460a55cddca44e53ff8141f78e.png

image.png.549448746a934ad76eecb4a837c0fa4c.png

Listed a week ago in Grants Pass, OR

Corvette mechanics: Do those early FI units tend to deteriorate over the months and years that they may be non-operational? Would one need to disassemble the unit and replace dry seals and gaskets and maybe some complicated (and hard to find) mechanical and/or electrical parts? I can't believe they'd be less prone to failure over time than a carburetor.
We tend to agree that it would take around $2,000. to get an average dormant car back on the road. I would presume you'd be lucky if you got away with double that amount attempting to resurrect one of these yourself, and who knows how much if you hired out the work.
These Corvettes are probably on everyone's bucket list (only if...), but I think that the bucket needs to be filled to the brim with cash (big bills only) before getting too excited.

• Like 1

I did an inspection on a 57 Vette and though I have seen many early Vettes this one was probably the best of the bunch.  That because this one was roadworthy and in mint condition.  I look at these cars posted here and think well they're nice cars in the pictures and they're probably very collectible but they're not roadworthy.  For some reason cleaning/rebuilding 4 bbl carburetors and fuel injection units is not something most mechanics know how to do nowadays.  Below is the car I inspected....

IMG_9427.JPG

Edited by deac (see edit history)
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, alsancle said:

I hate to state the obvious. But selling those cars is a major undertaking. It’s nice of Friend to help, but this is not gonna work.

What, selling 25 early Corvettes worth >$2M on Facebook will be difficult? I don't believe you!!! Hahahahaha

GLWS

Robert

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/18/2023 at 2:07 AM, Crusty Trucker said:

Well, adding up all the cars with posted prices, the list totals $2,805,000. 

I imagine If they were all running and ready, the right auction house could get considerably more.  Quite a collection to behold. Then, if you include the nfs ones ...

I'm a little surprised that somebody with that level of a collection didn't have a plan in place in the event of his passing.   My wife knows what to do if I run my Stearns in to a pole next week.   It is not to put the cars up on facebook.

That $2,805,000 will not be achieved.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Dont know a lot about corvettes or their pricing but looking at the list I dont think they are that far out of line. The few I know a little about seem to have an asking for a really good example which I would bet looking at the pics they may be good but not really good. If word gets out amongst corvette collectors I bet it wont take long at all to liquidate this collection. Looks to me like the fellow 'helping' with the sale has made a list of the cars and current values for a clean, running example.

39 minutes ago, JACK M said:

George, Which one is the headline car?

Jack, If you watch the video that's in the FB ad, the second car shown is a blue one with some kind of blanket on it that has big polka dots. In his lists of cars, there's a '57 fuelie, blue with black seats for $65K. I'm assuming it's the car in the video.

All kidding aside, It is truly wonderful and generous of George to help out his friend dispose of his large collection. Not an easy or quick task when undertaken by an individual. It is the trade off of either putting in ones own time and sweat equity or paying an auction house to dispose of such a substantial collection. 

Robert

2 hours ago, Dr B said:

All kidding aside, It is truly wonderful and generous of George to help out his friend dispose of his large collection. Not an easy or quick task when undertaken by an individual. It is the trade off of either putting in ones own time and sweat equity or paying an auction house to dispose of such a substantial collection. 

Robert

It is wonderful for a friend to help out. However, no good deed goes on punished.

There are no shortcuts to dealing with something this complicated. I would argue that this approach is not designed to maximize the return on the cars. You are way better off Hiring a reputable dealer, to take the cars one at a time, get them running, detail them, get the correct documentation in place, and then sell them. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Selling Corvettes is no walk in the park. Especially expensive ones. Dealing with the FB crowd is generally a huge waste of time. Answering the morons that have no intention of buying or have anywhere near the funds, scammers, and people just looking  is truly frustrating.  Case in point, Posting my 2016 Dodge Ram truck for a very attractive price garnered me 2170 views in 2 days. At least 35 replies. Lot's of offers online. Not ONE person showed up. I priced it at the lowest advertised price in the province, but all I got was lowballing d*psh#t's.

Now multiply that by X1000 when selling a C1 or C2 Corvette. These are all very desirable cars so they will draw out every scammer and lowlife who can open up a computer. 

Find a dealer like Matt Harwood who knows the market for a professional sale.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, alsancle said:

There are no shortcuts to dealing with something this complicated. I would argue that this approach is not designed to maximize the return on the cars. You are way better off Hiring a reputable dealer, to take the cars one at a time, get them running, detail them, get the correct documentation in place, and then sell them. 

Excellent point. Professionals usually do a better job than amateurs.

Still a nice gesture. He will be punished accordingly! 

Robert

• Like 1

21 hours ago, George Smolinski said:

Jack, If you watch the video that's in the FB ad, the second car shown is a blue one with some kind of blanket on it that has big polka dots. In his lists of cars, there's a '57 fuelie, blue with black seats for $65K. I'm assuming it's the car in the video.

Thanks for this George

Looking at the list there seems to be quite a few fuel injected cars as well as several dual quad cars.

My opinion FWIW, these are cars that I would pass on. Probably good for a collector but maybe not so day to day driver friendly.

I don't recall seeing any plain old four speed V8 4bbl cars on that list that would tempt me. Except maybe the first one on the list, but its black (not a color that I would want).

The third car down might be fun. I wouldn't really care about numbers matching and all that, But I hear that the Vette guys will poo poo those that aren't all proper. Maybe this is why I have never pulled the trigger on a Corvette.

Just my personal observations. I hope you can move some of these for your friend.

22 hours ago, Dr B said:

Excellent point. Professionals usually do a better job than amateurs.

Still a nice gesture. He will be punished accordingly! 

Robert

And to repeat a quote I have used from time to time, from veteran oil well fire fighter Red Adair: if you think an expert's expensive, wait until you hire an amateur.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2