Animal to Mechanized

Dave Mellor NJ

My Great grandmother went from horse and buggy days to man on the moon and everything in between. As kids we couldn't believe her stories (riding a horse 5 miles each way to school - that sounded like a very tall tale), but look at how fast things are changing now. 10 - 20 years ago some of what we have now was science fiction stuff!

Re the original picture - it is often overlooked just how many animals of all kinds "served" in both world wars and indeed up to present times.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fordy said:

My Great grandmother went from horse and buggy days to man on the moon and everything in between. As kids we couldn't believe her stories (riding a horse 5 miles each way to school - that sounded like a very tall tale), but look at how fast things are changing now. 10 - 20 years ago some of what we have now was science fiction stuff!

Re the original picture - it is often overlooked just how many animals of all kinds "served" in both world wars and indeed up to present times.

My maternal great grandfather was a Belgian officer in WWl. We still have his diary, written in French on stiff parchment, bound in sheep skin. He survived the war, emigrated first to Canada, then to Los Angeles in the '20's and lived a productive life into the '30's

My father (1907-1997) witnessed an extraordinary amount of change in his lifetime. His parents (my grandparents) were born during the Lincoln administration (1863). Talk about stories!

Some of us may recall the '50's or '60's, and a few, like me, the '40's, but we're pretty good about adapting and putting up with change.

We also know change is not necessarily progress.

P.S.   Dad also "loaned" our dog to the Army K-9 Corps in WWll. When Toby came back home in '45, he wasn't the same as before his "service". Regrettably, he was sent to a new home where he lived with his memories and changed behavior. Service animals can suffer from PTSD as well as humans.

Edited by f.f.jones (see edit history)
  • Like 6

5 hours ago, f.f.jones said:

My Great grandmother went from horse and buggy days to man on the moon and everything in between.

Sounds like my Grandmother.

She was appalled that we were flying let alone space exploration.

I suspect she was gone by the time we landed on the moon as she would have been quite vocal about that.

I think I was about twenty at moon landing time, so yea, she had already passed when I was in my teens.

Yes! Huge changes starting about 1850 and accelerating there after. Obviously still going on today and unstoppable. 

George Washington's army could not move faster than the one belonging to Julius Caesar. Then came steam, then internal combustion. 

2 things I'm sure of:

1.) in 50 years, it won't be either of those two 

2.) I don't need to worry about it.  

• Haha 1

On 11/28/2023 at 9:48 AM, JACK M said:

Sounds like my Grandmother.

She was appalled that we were flying let alone space exploration.

I suspect she was gone by the time we landed on the moon as she would have been quite vocal about that.

I think I was about twenty at moon landing time, so yea, she had already passed when I was in my teens.

Was she worried they were going to start building Old Folks' homes there?

Craig

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, 8E45E said:

Was she worried they were going to start building Old Folks' homes there?

Craig

I can clearly remember her saying "people were not meant to fly. birds are meant to fly.

Her and my grandpa resisted leaving the comforts of their home.

Finaly my mom and uncle talked them into taking a look at a fancy place on the lake. Kind of a high rise.  Had a nice view and lots of activities.

In the lobby was a huge aviary. My grandpa loved that and got into the birds. Grandma liked it here too, however, wasn't there very long.

I do recall that they regret putting off that move as long as they did.

3 hours ago, JACK M said:

Finally my mom and uncle talked them into taking a look at a fancy place on the lake. Kind of a high rise.  Had a nice view and lots of activities.

The thing my grandmother got vocal about in 1969 was a proposed new freeway that was going to run below her building and into a ravine as it went westward.   In the end, it was cancelled, due to so much public opposition over it.  The moon never entered her mind, except maybe the coverage of it interrupting her favorite TV shows.

Craig

Edited by 8E45E (see edit history)