1972 Lincoln Mark IV $3500

The seller is likely not showing the rust issues that are likely there around the rear vinyl roof.  Or maybe rust is not present.  I just like the Olive Green body color and dark green top with essentially matching interior. 

This is the favored pre 5mph Continental Mark IV, arguably better styled than it's cousin the Thunderbird.  

• Like 2

I agree, '72 was the last year before the 5 mph bumper were added and looked like a porch on the front and back of the cars. IMO this color looks fabulous on the Lincoln, Gm also came out with this dark green exterior and interior for the Buick and Chevy, much more attractive than the Black, or white IMO. If this is a long time Minnesota car, rust may be an issue. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, suchan said:

A '70's luxury car with issues is at the absolute bottom of my wish list.

It's too easy to spend a few thousand more to get something you can enjoy.

I would tend to agree BUT look at that interior!   The body is straight, and there is some rust.  How about $1,000?  I doubt the seller would be agreeable to $1,000 but that's lower than most project cars these days.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, EmTee said:

Ugh, yet another Edelbrock carb conversion.  Seems all people can do these days is swap parts...

You bring to light a topic that goes around the shop with three of us on the weekends and it never seems to go away. One of guys was a auto-shop instructor for over 30 years and says when he left teaching the automotive curriculum changed.  The college he worked at sold all the specialty equipment and they no longer teach how to rebuild and fix things; nowadays you just plug the computer in and replace the failed parts.  This is why I have remarked in different posts at different times that most "mechanics" nowadays do not understand these older cars and cannot properly fix them.

IMO learning how to FIX older cars teaches you a lot about basic principals and theory that you just don't get with todays cars.  When I go to replace a part I want to know why I am replacing it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, deac said:

they no longer teach how to rebuild and fix things; nowadays you just plug the computer in and replace the failed parts.

Well……when the error code comes up you aren’t going to rewire your Mass Airflow sensor, you aren’t going to rebuild the catalytic converter, you aren’t gonna open up and reassemble the fuel injectors and no way are you going to solder new parts on the printed circuit board of the ECU……

I also value the skill of diagnosis before repair but today so little CAN be repaired.  
When the OBDII does the diagnosis for you then you don’t need to learn critical thinking either. (Which was pulled from the curriculum a while back). 

So you have a younger “technician” looking at an old car and the only word in their vocabulary is replace.  Repair the existing part doesn’t exist as a concept. 

Remember you can’t even get parts for those old cars anyway.  The guy at Autozone said so.  🤨

• Like 1

9 hours ago, m-mman said:

Well……when the error code comes up you aren’t going to rewire your Mass Airflow sensor, you aren’t going to rebuild the catalytic converter, you aren’t gonna open up and reassemble the fuel injectors and no way are you going to solder new parts on the printed circuit board of the ECU……

Maybe, however, just cleaning the hot wires in that MAF sensor may have been all that was needed.  Bolting on a new catalytic converter could be a temporary victory when the new one melts because the condition that caused raw fuel to enter the catalyst wasn't resolved.  I agree with @deac; understanding how the old, analog component works not only helps during repair, but also provides insight into how the modern, digital systems accomplish the same function.

• Like 2

The number of brake lathes I see on Craigslist and the fewer parts houses that even do machine work is reflected in how it’s cheaper to buy a new drum or rotor (from another country) than to pay the labor to resurface the old ones.  

For so many of my cars the cost of a new wheel cylinder or master cylinder is less than an old Eis kit.  I do throw the old original parts into a box, but I don’t know what I’ll ever do with them. 

“Replace don’t fix” is the motto of the day. Consequently it’s what most people do. 
Just please save the parts so that we old timers can fix them for reinstallation.  

Most dealerships, at least Aisian ones, just tell the technician to R&R stuff anyway.

When I worked for a Ford dealership, and a Mopar dealership, they were still actually

rebuilding transmissions anyway.

My 2 cents. I was a factory trained Mazda, Subaru master technician. ASE Master with L1 certification. Worked from 1998 to 2005.  Got out due to an expensive hip replacement.  

Therefore I cut my teeth in the transition period from OBD 1 to 2.  To say that I was less of a technician is a bit of an insult.  The modern era Auto with computers, on board diagnostics and shrinking the body down around the engine and components is apples and oranges to the usual older collector car.  

R&R became common because the components are not rebuildable in a way that saves the customer money.  To wit, the 1998 to 2002 Mazda 626 with the 4 cylinder automatic had a bastardized Ford auto because Ford owned Mazda at the time.  

Automatic transmissions have always been the domain of specialty shops that rebuild the transmission.  Am I supposed to pull the transmission, tear it down on my 6 x 5 dealership provided work bench then reinstall it 2 weeks later?  Charging the customer 16 hours to rebuild it plus 6 hours to remove and reinstall?  

I used to R&R 2 a week in about a day each. Taking a sensor - remove and replace in an hour or less. One hour of diagnosis.  Or pull it off, crack the plastic shell and “rewire” or rebuild it?  It would probably run worse after that!   

Brakes?  Just put new OEM rotors on. I can’t tell you how many times I turned rotors, they warped within 15,000 more miles.  FWD cars especially are heat monsters on front disc brakes.  And modern drivers want to go go go until they stop.  My wife hates my driving because I brake coast brake.  Allowing my brakes to cool down a smidge.  

Bottom line is this is a generational “thing”.   R&R saves customers money and focuses a modern technician on proper diagnosis.  

2 hours ago, B Jake Moran said:

R&R became common because the components are not rebuildable in a way that saves the customer money

Absolutely.  The original comment was about why do people remove an original rebuildable carb to install the one size fits all Edlebrock.  

It’s because the paradigm has shifted and people who have grown up on EFI think in terms of replacing not repairing. 

This approach is appropriate for “modern” cars but not correct for ancient cars.  

• Like 1

Well when the modern car needs a part to correct a problem usually that part is not sold separately and so the customer must buy the assembly that the part is in.  For instance in a modern day Land Rover the cooling hose will blister than start leaking.  You'd think that it's just replacing the hose... No, the customer must buy the assembly which consist of about 3 or 4 hoses attached to plastic coupling part. In some of the modern MBZ's  with a V8 there is a flapper valve that swirls air/fuel mixture on the intake manifold and the arm of that valve breaks. We'll you can't just buy the valve because it's not sold separately; you have to buy the complete intake manifold!  Most all the OEM's do this now. So an R&R repair is okay on some levels but in the long run the tech is being dumbed down and the OEM is making more money.  What a great racket, eh? At one Ford dealer the shop foreman lamented that the industry getting close to the point the computer in the vehicle will self diagnose the problem and the scanner will be able to tell you the fix!

I have done thousands mechanical inspections to validate warranty claims. I literally eat, sleep cars.  My hobby is old cars and my work is with modern cars!

Edited by deac (see edit history)

No doubt, the repair paradigm is different for modern cars.  Not only is labor more expensive, but as someone noted above, the packaging of components in modern cars also tends to favor replacement of assemblies, or groups of parts at once.  Timing belt replacement is a good example.  Many cars use the timing belt to drive the water pump, so replacement of the water pump whether leaking or not, makes sense whenever the timing belt is serviced.  Otherwise, labor associated with pump replacement would be significant.

My comment was specifically aimed at the replacement of the carburetor on the subject car with a generic 'bolt-on' piece that will not perform as well as a properly rebuilt original.  The replacement carb typically involves modifications to surrounding equipment (e.g., linkages, choke, vacuum input, etc.) that can make returning the car to as-built condition more difficult.

• Like 1