Car Forum Recommendations - stock and modified cars that are newer than the limits set by this AACA forum

Dave Wells

This is not heresy...

I am a participating and satisfied member of this forum and plan to continue contributing as regards my vehicles over 25 years of age. However, I also own, operate and maintain stock and modified cars that are newer than the limits set by this AACA forum's discussion boundaries. My question is what non-make specific forums are recommended to owner's of non-antique cars? I've looked at H.A.M.B and various make-specific forums, but would like to share opinions and discuss current trends, developments and news in a general, not-too-technical format, (and not hot rods, customs or competition cars).

I'm not looking to replace this forum in any way as I feel it is the best source of news and information for my older vehicles. I just want to expand my automotive world into the 21st century and would appreciate opinions from those of you who may also have automotive interest in cars newer than 1998 and might recommend other forums.

Thank you in advance for your responses.

The HAMB is actually more rigid with their requirements than the AACA forum.  If you try posting something that even sniffs like a resto-rod it will be deleted.   However, it is a great place for period hot rods and race cars.  I think their cut off is 1965 or so?

I was formerly a member of a number of different marque specific forums and they can be tremendously helpful.  You didn't list the cars so I don't know what you are looking for.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Some forums have a "Free Parking" or "Off Topic" forum for this purpose, but I've never understood the reason for it. There are so many groups available on the interwebs that cater to any niche topic, why add one to a site that has a narrow definition of topics? It's just another source of aggravation for moderators when threads go sideways.

Simply do a search for the make of car you have interest in and if and most likely there is, a forum link will pop up. Thats how I found what I was looking for years ago before I even knew what a forum is. I know of a couple of Pontiac forums as that is my interest. I know of one for chevelles, I would  be more than willing to bet there is one for mustangs, my son is on one for modern gto's etc. etc.

2 hours ago, Dave Wells said:

...would like to share opinions and discuss current trends, developments and news in a general, not-too-technical format, (and not hot rods, customs or competition cars).

Why wouldn't such cars be discussed here? 

Many people appreciate cars before they reach

25 years old.  While this forum is primarily for antiques,

many interesting cars will indeed be antiques in

a few short years. 

For example, Buick Reattas were discussed in the

Buick section before they reached that age.  Cadillac

Allantes had a following right from the beginning. 

I've seen other cars discussed on our forum before

they reached that age, as long as they are authentic

and unmodified.

What do our moderators think?

Here is just one example, and the discussion reached 5 pages:

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to Car Forum Recommendations - stock and modified cars that are newer than the limits set by this AACA forum
1 hour ago, CarNucopia said:

As much as I prefer not to use it, I’ve found Facebook groups to be the best place to discuss newer cars or vehicles with a limited following. The biggest problem isn’t finding the right group, it’s choosing from the multiple ones that cover the topic.

Agree, FB is useful to a point but the redundancy of groups with anything that isn't very limited in scope (Model A vs. Franklin maybe) is actually a real impediment.  Forums I think are still best for meaningful discussion though, on a given topic or problem.  AJ has pointed this out before but fb is too poster centric for that, while forums like this tend to be topic centric.  I have still used fb with some succes though networking and knowledge sharing.  Also very good w buy sell.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Agree, FB is useful to a point but the redundancy of groups with anything that isn't very limited in scope (Model A vs. Franklin maybe) is actually a real impediment. 

I was about to say the same thing. It seems like I'm invited to a new group covering some aspect of the 1968-72 Oldsmobile 442s every week. Do we really need this Balkanization? Trying to fight truth decay in the existing groups is bad enough...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dave Wells said:

...and not hot rods, customs or competition cars.

The moderators changed the title of the topic to:

"Car Forum Recommendations--stock and modified cars that are newer than the limits set by this AACA forum."

No one said anything about modified cars.

Modified cars aren't in the original poster's question.

If we stay on the subject of correct, authentic cars,

we can address the point more accurately.  We aren't

trying to get modified cars to creep into the AACA.

1 hour ago, joe_padavano said:

I was about to say the same thing. It seems like I'm invited to a new group covering some aspect of the 1968-72 Oldsmobile 442s every week. Do we really need this Balkanization? Trying to fight truth decay in the existing groups is bad enough...

I think the issue is it is very easy for one to set up their own fb group as the technical aspect is done for you.  A lot of folks want to be THE authority or a minor tiff turns into a cessetion so the redundacy gets worse.  Then the same guy either posts his car or a question in 10 groups.  So quality drops.... 

Culling those down is on the to do list for sure.  Gotta make room for my hundred or so daily Great Dane pictures.... 😁😁😁

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Dave Wells said:

However, I also own, operate and maintain stock and modified cars that are newer than the limits set by this AACA forum's discussion boundaries.

1 hour ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

No one said anything about modified cars.

John,

See the quote from the original poster.

I changed the title to better reflect his question.

The Buick sections are for the use of the Buick Club of America and they do not have a 25 year requirement.

• Like 1

I would not at all be in favor of modified cars

being discussed, since they are not part of AACA's

mission.  But authentic cars newer than 25 years

are antiques just waiting in the wings for a chance

on the Hershey show field.  Some cars are collectible

well before they reach the 25-year threshold.

12 minutes ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Would some cars in the AACA DPC category be considered to be modified?  By my interpretation of the things allowed to be done in this category they are. Has the AACA already crossed this boundary?  I may be raising a point that was debated years ago before I joined, so I apologize for that

While I would agree that many of the things allowed in the DPC category are safety related, what about the non-safety things like AC, overdrive systems, electrical conversions, radio upgrades and altered exhausts that are all allowed?  I personally have no problem with DPC or these allowed changes, but there are many “purists” on this forum (would you consider yourself to be one?) have strongly objected to any form of modification (or even restoration) on these cars. “Original as it left the factory” are comments I have frequently read in various forum discussions. I am an AACA member by the way with the full spectrum of cars being discussed here: 1987 HPOF, 1940 DPC, 1953 modified and 2015 fully original pre-antique. 

Edited by CChinn (see edit history)

8 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

John I usually agree with what you have to say, but I will have to disagree with this statement. The AACA's mission statement is 25 years old, if its the AACA forum then it should adhere to that time frame. I see no difference between that and a hot rodded car. One could use the argument that 'maybe some day, someone will put the original motor back in and re do the interior with original type upholstery' so it will fit into the category. I would imagine there are plenty enough discussion groups for modern, hot rods, resto mods, etc. etc. that this forum can stick with the original intent.

As for DPC, Technically yes there are modified cars. Realistically from what I have seen any mods are to make them more driver/highway  friendly. Appearance for the most part is not a concern. I cant see an OD trans. hurting either and there may be a car or two being point judged with something of the same. AC, I dont see a problem with that, although mine is unhooked and would loose points if judged! These cars driving down the road will have a bigger impact than an enclosed trailer pulling something restored that is driven a mile or two at every meet, and its got to be a whole lot more fun! I did not count by numbers, but at Hershey, it looked like the DPC had second largest class next to HPOF. And they were still relegated to the back corner out of the way part of the show field, LOL.

• Like 1

This topic seems to have gotten off the rails. The OP was simply requesting recommendations for other forums that addressed "stock and modified cars that are newer than the limits set by this AACA forum's discussion boundaries."

This topic isn't about DPC.

This topic isn't about the AACA's focus on original and restored autos.

You are correct, but at least we are having a mature, rational discussion with well thought out replies by the participants. No rants or name calling which we have all seen at various times in other threads.  I’ll end my participation in this thread if that will help

Edited by CChinn (see edit history)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CChinn said:

You are correct, but at least we are having a mature, rational discussion with well thought out replies by the participants. No rants or name calling which we have all seen at various times in other threads.

Agreed.

BUT

This is a good civil conversation about DPC, but it's lost in a topic unrelated to DPC.  Recommendation:  Want to have a conversation about DPC? Great. Start another topic.

Pete, no need for me to start a separate DPC thread. I’m sure that has been discussed in the past and the category is an important and very accepted classification. I even apologized in advance for even bringing it up, but it was in response to a post which said modified cars should not be discussed in an AACA forum. I only asked what I thought was an innocent question if the individual thought DPC cars were modified to some extent. Then we went down the rabbit hole. Sorry 😞 

• Like 1

THE AIM OF THE AACA issue?

More than one poster in this "thread" has asked, expressing their curiosity in various ways,  "why shouldn't such cars be discussed in here......many people appreciate cars before they reach 25 years old..."

This causes displeasure amongst those of us of the "Old Guard".  But let's keep an open mind.  Things change!  Those familiar with the histories of the AACA and the CCCA recognize as generations change,  their tastes, their culture changes.  Use of language changes.   

For example, there was a time when the "Old Guard" objected to the introduction into the AACA of the Model "A" Ford.  Too modern...after all...it had four wheel brakes (internal expanding) an on-board electrical system...even a drive-shaft with transmission attached to the back of the engine block, lower pressure "ballon" style tires...etc.

The "Old Guard" hissed that (at that time) the word "antique" referred to cars that had two wheel "external contracting" brakes,  lighting, if at all, by accetelyne gas provided by an on-board carbide generator...T head motors... wood wheels with high-pressure narrow tires....etc.

Some folks had no embarrassment at calling my '41 Cadillac an "antique".    That's a car with a fully automatic four speed transmission, geared so much higher than earlier cars...so that it could cruise all day at extreme speeds, "factory" air conditioning, hydraulic brakes on all four wheels, power windows...all-metal construction...pressurized cooling system...independent front suspension.....and so on.

In the May/June "Official Publication Of The AACA (see the article starting on Pp. 76) the title is APPRECIATION FOR MERGING ANTIQUES.   Featured are photos of late  Chevrolet pick-up trucks, a Ford LTD, and Tarus.  The author shows no reluctance to calling them "attainable antiques".

Bottom line - whether the "Old Guard" like me.....  likes it or not,  the flow of history cannot be stopped.  Be patient...wont be long now before I can call my 2008 Toyota 2008 an "antique".

CLASSIC CHEV..jpg

Edited by Packard enthus. (see edit history)
  • Like 3

I have suggested several times that we have a section to talk about cars that will one day reach AACA status, but have found little to no support. A place to build up a knowledge base for the future, if you will. 

The "working knowledge" of these cars is going to get lost and forgotten and then when they reach AACA classification level, people will be looking for information on them that we may collectively have but have no place here to share. Had but perhaps lost or forgotten by then. 

I love cars...all cars, really...my interest doesn't have a yearly cutoff limit. While I have little to actually contribute I'd certainly enjoy reading about them. 

The suggestion for Facebook groups and specific forums is all well and good but they aren't the people here. The people we are familiar with on this forum are known and trusted, and we care what they have to say because they have shown us who they are through our interactions with them.  Many of the people who I value the insight of are not on Facebook or other websites is what I'm trying to say.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Billy Kingsley said:

I have suggested several times that we have a section to talk about cars that will one day reach AACA status, but have found little to no support.

Fear not - see my above post.   "Time marches on"....with all that implies....!

CLASSIC CHEV..jpg

• Like 1