Hershey weather forecast

Restorer32

10 day forecast calls for PERFECT weather at Hershey next week.  Temps in the 70s and low 80s with no rain in the forecast the entire week!  This will be my 56th Hershey.  Figure 3 days average each year equals 168 days in the flea market.  I have spent almost half a year in the Hershey flea market.  That's just crazy when you think about.  I am afraid to add up all the $ we have spent just for our spaces in those 56 years.

• Like 4

My 52end year. I went during covid shut down just for a quick day trip to say I was there........... We call that a lifetime. Since I go for five days, plus a few other times for the Elegance I figure I have spent 275 day +/- in Hershey, with luck it will total over a year before I take a dirt nap.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

Don't talk about the weather. It's bad mojo.

The last posting about the weather was, thankfully, deleted. This one should suffer the same fate. Talking about the weather before Hershey just invites a little “tropical depression “ to crop up and park itself over south central PA.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matt Harwood said:

You guys are funny. My wife says the same thing if I talk about something that she worries about, weather, traffic etc. She will say 'dont talk about that you will bring bad luck'. I wish I had that much power, first thing that comes to mind would be a lotto ticket.

• Haha 1

MoJo - hummmmmm don't have any parts or literature on that but AACA says they should be parked in section/class  86 1/2 B to be judged by specially certified and trained "experts".

Now be dat the Standard 8, Super 8, or straight 16 series of the MoJo? Or as the late George Norton used to comment on the rare V-7  powered machines.

• Haha 4

Still advise praying for great weather.  Things sometimes change - note-much of the East-coast weather comes from the National Weather center in Wakefield, Va.  It's on a back road headed up to Petersburg and I drive by it ll the time.  i've often noted there are NO windows in that building!

Since my first trip in 1970 we've seen all kinds of weather from scorching heat to snow.  They've all been great.  Like Ed in that dreadful covid year I also drove up, parked on our spot and took photos. I sure was a sad occasion.  This year, i'll also be missing my good friend Neil Sugermeyer who sadly passed away recently.  I believe it is he who is now in charge of Hershey weather.  Keep us warm and dry Neil.

Terry

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

Matt, I know you're intelligent.  Don't be superstitious!

Let's look at this logically.  Do you think that the sound waves

of voice, talking about the weather, affect the cloud formations?

Do you think that the letters typed on the keyboard may create

rain?  Do you think that God will punish us for hoping for sun?

None of these things is logical or true!

Actually, a 10-day forecast is useless.  Weathermen cannot

predict the weather that far in advance.  As the date comes

closer, the forecasts will be more meaningful.

• Like 1

I'm not superstitious, you know that. It's mostly a joke I make every year for the guys fretting about the weather. It is what it is and there's nothing to be done. I was doing some reading recently that said weather is almost impossible to predict now because things have changed so much the usual models don't work anymore and the usual patterns have been disrupted. So it's a best guess for anything but about 24 hours out. Beyond that, things get very wonky and accuracy goes way down.

Now to go wash my car and make it rain...

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

A few years ago the local weather man was talking on the radio. He said that with current technology they can predict 48 hrs very accurate. As the days go out from there it becomes less accurate. 10 day forecasts are nothing but a guess. I find it easier to do what I did in the old days, Get up in the morning and see what the day will bring.

• Like 2

Please can we stop with the weather? Back in 2013 the weather forecast looked good on the weekend before Hershey. I have a framed weather map, from the USA Today newspaper hanging on my garage wall, showing clear sky for everything east of the Mississippi, EXCEPT for a small patch of green (rain) over the Hershey/Harrisburg area. It rained a record 9.5 inches on October 9, 10, 11, and 12th. I talked to friends 40 miles away, on their way to Hershey and they told me the sky was sunny and blue. They thought I was joking when I told them it was pouring rain. Hershey has its own weather system. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, 46 woodie said:

Please can we stop with the weather? Back in 2013 the weather forecast looked good on the weekend before Hershey. I have a framed weather map, from the USA Today newspaper hanging on my garage wall, showing clear sky for everything east of the Mississippi, EXCEPT for a small patch of green (rain) over the Hershey/Harrisburg area. It rained a record 9.5 inches on October 9, 10, 11, and 12th. I talked to friends 40 miles away, on their way to Hershey and they told me the sky was sunny and blue. They thought I was joking when I told them it was pouring rain. Hershey has its own weather system. 

In 2013, from 2 pm Thursday until 10 pm Friday, Hershey received 10 inches of rain.   And yes, when I left home, the weather forecast for Hershey looked perfect.   You never know when one of those tropical systems just pops up off the Carolina coast and wreaks havoc, kind of like the one a few days ago. 

One thing I can tell you that was confirmed beyond doubt.   When the show field was moved to the former golf course in 2006, I believe it was, Steve Moskowitz addressed the very issue about rain and drainage, and stated that as a result of its previous incarnation, the show field drains very well.   I could not believe it when I arrived at the show field Saturday morning, and I literally could not even find a puddle all day—no exaggeration.  So I do have that confidence that if the field can handle that torrential deluge of rain, it can handle just about anything…

• Like 3