My new to me 1955 Model 66C

Elpad

Well, I guess is time for me to start this new thread. Luckily this one won't be as extensive as the restoration threads ion my previous 50 Super & 54 Roadmaster resto since this car is already done thanks to "Old Tank" who did all the dirty work for me, haha. The time came to let go my other cars to obtain this beauty and I'm glad that my cars went to local collectors which gives me the opportunity to keep an eye on them on local shows. I recently aquired Old Tank's 55 Century which he could no longer drive due to heat related health issues. Obtaining this vehicle culminates my desire of  owning a ragtop Buick. The odyssey of obtaining and personally bringing the Century from The Lone Star State to The Sunshine State was not pretty but Old Tank promised me that I would be laughing about it someday. What's next? I guess competing and enjoying this classic and start laughing about it. Once again Willie, remember the Allstate jingle. The Century is in good hands and better yet it will hold watermelons!

IMG_3029.jpeg

IMG_3025.jpeg

Edited by Elpad (see edit history)
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 2

This is how the trip begin. Originally I was to drive my 2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD and my car trailer but the air conditioning was not working a 100%. Due to the heat wave we decided to drive all night, instead we took my friend’s and driving partner 2017 Ford 2500. What a mistake! A 20 hour trip turned into a 26 plus hours one way ordeal since fuel problems quickly arose. On board computer will shut off the truck and sensed a bad fuel pressure sensor. The truck will keep dying while driving and we constantly have to switch to neutral turn off and on the ignition and place in drive to continue driving until it decide to act multiple times again. (To be continued)

IMG_2998.jpeg

IMG_3002.jpeg

Changed the primary fuel filter in the road and nursed the truck all the way to Seguin, TX where we serviced the truck in Old Tank’s driveway to include secondary fuel filter and oil and filter change.speaking of diesel fuel, $4.49 per gallon the highest I paid in Fl. And found cheaper fuel in LA & TX about $3.65 

IMG_3003.jpeg

IMG_2998.jpeg

IMG_2999.jpeg

• Like 2

Houston, We have a problem! Just before reaching Houston, my co-driver hit a pothole. I-10 is under construction well into Louisiana and East Texas. The event caused an additional delay, just in case we were carrying 3 spare tires. Drove all night and must of the following day. The car is now sitting at the MIA garage waiting to be insured and properly registered. First outing will be an exhibit In "Memory Lane", an indoor classic car exhibit at the Miami International Auto Show to be held at the Miami Beach Convention Hall on September 1st through the 10th. our local AACA South Florida Region chapter participates in the show every year.

IMG_3100.jpeg

IMG_3076.jpeg

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, EmTee said:

Glad you finally made it home safely.  It was nice to see Willy's collection.  That's a nice looking Olds, by the way!  Last of the 'big' full-size GM cars...  ;)

IMG_3022.jpeg.ad8067b4b573f1dddfddaeefdc

Told me it was for sale, all original, as well as the aqua Century hardtop.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Congratulations on acquiring what I have always considered to be the nicest, most correct and beautiful '55 CENTURY convertible in existence. But you already know my thoughts on that as I encouraged you to NOT to let it slip by you. I recall the first time I saw the car and met Willie, was in I'm thinking 2004 in Plano Texas at the BCA National. Sat under a shade tree with Willie and he showed me his photo album of the restoration, I was wowed!!! I think later that evening he received an award maybe for it, maybe a Gold Senior or somthin. Not sure about that as I was distracted by the rain blowing sideways outside and thinking dang even storms are bigger in Texas. Again congrats, hope to see it again in person someday. HEY!!!! Here's an idea, why not drive it up to the Buick Gardens shindig in October, you know sorta as her maiden voyage.😉   

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

I waswowed!!! I think later that evening he received an awardmaybe for it, maybe a Gold Senior or somthin.

I think it was a Senior Preservation Award. You know I had to take your input on this one. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

First outing for the Century. At the 2023 Miami International Auto Show, an indoor exhibition called “Memory Lane” within the 2024 vehicle displays. Fire Marshal required all cars to be with less than 1/4 tank of gas on set up date. Guess what, after driving over 20 miles in heavy traffic, I ran out of gas right inside the gate. Manage with other classic owners to push the car into the final display. 

IMG_3298.jpeg

IMG_3299.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Elpad said:
2 hours ago, old-tank said:

Are you sure it wasn't vapor lock?

I thought of that first but I let it sit and cool down inside the AC building. It later turned over but did not fire up

I did at first start at home but did not think to do it at the show since the carburetor bowl should had been full. The fuel gauge was reading less than a 1/4 of tank closer to empty that’s why I think it is out of gas. I can’t fool with it until show finish in 10 days, then I will bring my 5 gals can and report then. In the mean time it is sitting besides the feature car (53 Nash-Healy) that was brought back to the states from Colombia. Got great thumbs up from club members about the Century, everybody loves the color combo and the car. They say I’m competing in a different level now, whatever that means

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1