Help with sheet metal pieces

Neveragain55

Hi Gang

Bought my first ever Buick today and it was the one I’ve wanted for years, a 1949 Super 8 Coupe.

She’s a Florida car so I’m assuming the frame won’t be completely rotted away but the driver’s side floor, bottom of the rear deck lid, and metal around the rear window has a moderate to significant amount of rust. Also, there are some small rust holes along the top edges of the body towards the rear where the rear fenders bolts to the body.

The car is mostly in tack with the original engine & drive train, the interior is as you would expect, and the chrome can easily be brought back.

None of what I just said scares me as I’ve seen much worse.

I’ve found multiple sources online regarding replacement parts like interior trim pieces, badges, exterior trim pieces, mechanical parts, etc., etc., etc.

I’ve found a few sources that sell floor pans, but I’ll need help with the rear section regarding the rear fenders and rear deck lid.

Not sure if there’s anybody out there selling reproduction pieces, and I’d love to get some thoughts & ideas on how I can best tackle these areas.  

I can always just get stock sheet metal and cut & bend it to the shape/s I need, but life would be a lot simpler if I could find reproduction pieces and/or patch panels already cut to the shape & size I need.

Thanks in advance......

Edited by Neveragain55 (see edit history)

Looks like you will be relying on wrecking yards that specialize in old car parts. They are getting fewer and further between, but the internet sill lists a number of them. There are even a couple that specialize in good used Buick parts and sheet metal. Spend some time doing research and talking to people. Remember shipping costs for larger parts can be prohibitive. Good luck

• Like 1

Photos photos photos!!!

Let us see what you are talking about and you might more response.

Terry

• Like 2

I had a 65 Chevy parts car from Florida that rusted from the top down.

Desert Valley Auto Parts in Arizona may have parts for you. They will send photos to you for your approval.

Some of the floor you can make patch panels and weld them in. I have repaired fenders a bit worse than yours but if you have to pay someone buy replacements.

• Like 1

Nice rare model, should be a worthwhile project, most good body shops could fix what you have if replacement parts not available (which I doubt are available in after-market). As someone mentioned, junkyards may be a source, but rarity may make that a tough hunt, and pieces may be no better than what you have. Good luck.

• Like 3

I'm not trying to be negative at all but you definitely have your work cut out for you. I'm just throwing this out there for consideration........and I never thought I'd say this.......but this admittedly overpriced 49 Buick Super sedanet near Hershey, PA might be something to consider. I have no connection to this car whatsoever but I have seen it in person and it's a great restoration candidate. It does need some typical body work and the seat coverings aren't correct but it has a lot going for it condition-wise and you might even be able to drive it home. IF YOU ARE EXPERIENCED AND ENJOY DOING RESTORATION WORK I WISH YOU ALL THE BEST WITH YOUR NEW PROJECT. I'm just asking you to take a few minutes to look at the big picture and realize what you are getting into. I know you can fix anything if you put you your mind to it but how much time will you spend and at what expense? I've been called a naysayer in the past on these Forums but I am somewhat experienced at these things and I prefer to call myself a REALIST. The many parts and materials you will need are very, very expensive today.........Just know what you are getting into. Whatever you decide I hope everything goes well for you. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The 55er said:

and I never thought I'd say this.......but this admittedly overpriced 49 Buick Super sedanet near Hershey, PA might be something to consider. I have no connection to this car whatsoever but I have seen it in person and it's a great restoration candidate.

What overpriced '49 Buick Super sedanette near Hershey, PA are you talking about?

Got a link or pictutes?

3 hours ago, Rusty_OToole said:

I've fixed worse. Unless parts are easily available I would just as soon form new metal.

I agree, there's a guy on YouTube that brought a Cuda back literally from the dead. I mean not only was the car rusty but the entire shell was deformed and ready for the crusher, take a look...... If this thing could be brought back, anything can....

Thanks for the motivation, and I agree totally.

3 hours ago, The 55er said:

I'm not trying to be negative at all but you definitely have your work cut out for you. I'm just throwing this out there for consideration........and I never thought I'd say this.......but this admittedly overpriced 49 Buick Super sedanet near Hershey, PA might be something to consider. I have no connection to this car whatsoever but I have seen it in person and it's a great restoration candidate. It does need some typical body work and the seat coverings aren't correct but it has a lot going for it condition-wise and you might even be able to drive it home. IF YOU ARE EXPERIENCED AND ENJOY DOING RESTORATION WORK I WISH YOU ALL THE BEST WITH YOUR NEW PROJECT. I'm just asking you to take a few minutes to look at the big picture and realize what you are getting into. I know you can fix anything if you put you your mind to it but how much time will you spend and at what expense? I've been called a naysayer in the past on these Forums but I am somewhat experienced at these things and I prefer to call myself a REALIST. The many parts and materials you will need are very, very expensive today.........Just know what you are getting into. Whatever you decide I hope everything goes well for you. 

Thanks but.....these cars are extremely rare, and while I agree it would be nice to start out with something that is much further along.

I've always lived by the philosophy of: "get this rare model of a car that you really want now while you can, and get to it later when more money becomes available as other projects in front are being finished.

I've been at this since I was about 15 and I'm currently sliding into 60.........I got this.

I'll finish her, and yes it's going to be a monumental task, but I'm up for it, us old Marines don't know how to give up.

Thanks for the best wishes....... 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Andy J said:

Totally fixable. I would love to work on a project like that.

Here's a few pics of my next project,my 1952 Chevrolet Bel Air.

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

I love your car, she looks a lot like this old girl, almost looks identical from the side.

You'll get her done and she's going to be great at the end....

1953 Chrysler New Yorker.jpg

1 hour ago, Neveragain55 said:

Thanks but.....these cars are extremely rare, and while I agree it would be nice to start out with something that is much further along.

I've always lived by the philosophy of: "get this rare model of a car that you really want now while you can, and get to it later when more money becomes available as other projects in front are being finished.

I've been at this since I was about 15 and I'm currently sliding into 60.........I got this.

I'll finish her, and yes it's going to be a monumental task, but I'm up for it, us old Marines don't know how to give up.

Thanks for the best wishes....... 

S/F Marine!  Good luck with your project. Marines always get the mission accomplished. From a retired Sailor with 3 FMF tours

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CChinn said:

S/F Marine!  Good luck with your project. Marines always get the mission accomplished. From a retired Sailor with 3 FMF tours

Thank you for your service my friend, yes..........we get the mission accomplished no matter what obstacles come our way.....👍

• Like 1

I have had and/or worked on a number of 1940s and 1950s cars and trucks, but I have never done really extensive work on ones of that era. I have myself restored worse on earlier cars. 

I find a great deal of satisfaction in bringing parts and cars back from the brink. Even on a few model T Fords when "patch panels" were available, I made my own. I can make them for the area needing it rather than trying to use a manufactured "fits all" and have it not quite fit. Some good heavy gauge (workable!) body steel and a hour or two I can shape a fair size piece. I have hand hammered in moldings, heat to stretch or shrink areas for compound curves. A few large complicated areas I went to a wrecking yard and found a hood or roof section with similar curves and bought that to begin, then reshaping it as needed.

My current project, a 1915 Ford runabout. A sharp eye might notice that the fenders in the photo are later 1915 and 1916 style. The car being an early 1915 (February body date!), I wanted the much more rare early style fenders. After I restored these, I found all four earlier style fenders, in much worse condition, and restored them! The car is almost done now.

IMG_2994.JPG.e1691b50f69c682e3415e67f07a02de9.JPG

It is inspirational to see others taking on some of these lost cause restorations. As I said before, there is a special satisfaction in seeing hopelessly rusty cars and parts coming back from the brink.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I am another who is willing to take on challenges. The intellectual challenge of resolving an issue and having it turn out correctly is what I find a lot of satisfaction in. Most of my cars started out as "parts cars" that nobody else would touch. If I had to pay someone to undertake the bulk of the work then it would not be worth it. My philosophy is to have a go and if I fail try again and if that fails then pay someone! I have made many patch panels with rudimentary hand tools but one I would recommend getting is a hand shrinker / stretcher as it makes things so much easier.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

I have had and/or worked on a number of 1940s and 1950s cars and trucks, but I have never done really extensive work on ones of that era. I have myself restored worse on earlier cars. 

I find a great deal of satisfaction in bringing parts and cars back from the brink. Even on a few model T Fords when "patch panels" were available, I made my own. I can make them for the area needing it rather than trying to use a manufactured "fits all" and have it not quite fit. Some good heavy gauge (workable!) body steel and a hour or two I can shape a fair size piece. I have hand hammered in moldings, heat to stretch or shrink areas for compound curves. A few large complicated areas I went to a wrecking yard and found a hood or roof section with similar curves and bought that to begin, then reshaping it as needed.

My current project, a 1915 Ford runabout. A sharp eye might notice that the fenders in the photo are later 1915 and 1916 style. The car being an early 1915 (February body date!), I wanted the much more rare early style fenders. After I restored these, I found all four earlier style fenders, in much worse condition, and restored them! The car is almost done now.

IMG_2994.JPG.e1691b50f69c682e3415e67f07a02de9.JPG

It is inspirational to see others taking on some of these lost cause restorations. As I said before, there is a special satisfaction in seeing hopelessly rusty cars and parts coming back from the brink.

All I have to say is.....you're quite an inspiration and I couldn't agree more with everything you wrote.

I'm a member of many car forums and there's always a few folks that go on, and on, and on about time vs. money vs. investment, blah, blah, blah, but I feel like they just don't get it.

Most of us know that we will never get back all, or even some of the time & money we put into these things.

That's not why we do it, we do it for all the reasons you stated, I hope you're able to keep doing what you do for years to come.

• Like 5

If you want some lessons in forming patch panels with simple hand tools look up Cold War Motors on Youtube. He frequently makes bits for old obscure cars. His 1960 Plymouth Fury project is about the limit of restoring a far gone rust bucket. He put together parts of 4 cars and still had to hand form repair  panels.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rusty_OToole said:

If you want some lessons in forming patch panels with simple hand tools look up Cold War Motors on Youtube. He frequently makes bits for old obscure cars. His 1960 Plymouth Fury project is about the limit of restoring a far gone rust bucket. He put together parts of 4 cars and still had to hand form repair  panels.

Thanks, I will......

On 7/22/2023 at 4:59 PM, Neveragain55 said:

I agree, there's a guy on YouTube that brought a Cuda back literally from the dead. I mean not only was the car rusty but the entire shell was deformed and ready for the crusher, take a look...... If this thing could be brought back, anything can....

Thanks for the motivation, and I agree totally.

I have no info on the story of this car, BUT I would suspect that the vin was brought back from the dead, NOT the car.