What car to take today - 1953 MG

Rata Road

Wayne this is the only known YB in NZ. The owner restored it in the UK then moved out here. I got it a couple of years ago from his estate plus a heap of parts he brought with him.

TA - I agree its nice to have so many cars to choose from.

Steve - Your correct its no racing car. They were sold as a Sports car for the family man but with a 4 cylinder 1250cc it wasn't. I think 71 mph was the top speed. Its a lovely car to drive. Apparently they were designed for a 1939-1940 release but with Poland being invaded all car production was halted in the UK until after the war.

DSCN2527.JPG

• Like 3

I was involved in the rescue of this YB about ten years ago in Milwaukee. A British fanatic friend told me it “must be saved”.  Interesting car. I believe it was married to a chassis and running gear and saved. 

image.jpeg.a7d2cb58e2b355d927e510e243c68958.jpeg

• Like 1

I have always like the styling of these cars, and as Wayne mentioned, you rarely see these in the US.

Looks like a great car for a leisurely cruise.

Beautiful MG. What I find interesting are the gauges. On the TD in the same period, gauges were the typical round Smith/Jaeger gauges. The octagon gauges were not used until the TF…and they look nearly identical.

20 hours ago, zepher said:

I have always like the styling of these cars, and as Wayne mentioned, you rarely see these in the US.

Looks like a great car for a leisurely cruise.

Based on the Morris 10 series M which provided even more leisurely performance.  AMHIK.

I had a chance to buy a YT about a year ago. Long term storage survivor , but unfortunately about the rear 1/3 sat sticking out of a garage or carport for decades. The front 2/3 were quite well preserved but the rear needed a lot of metal work. 

Owner wanted a relatively high price so I passed. I doubt I will see another one.

1 hour ago, Rusty_OToole said:

"It's rare and no one cares" unfortunately there are a lot of rare cars that are not very valuable especially compared to the cost of restoring them.

May I interest you in purchasing a Rickenbacker that needs a full restoration?  :D

Less than 50 exist for all production years.

1 hour ago, Rusty_OToole said:

"It's rare and no one cares" unfortunately there are a lot of rare cars that are not very valuable especially compared to the cost of restoring them.

Not sure I would use that phrase to describe a YT. They are reasonably desirable and can command pretty decent money when restored. 

Most cars can cost more to restore than they are worth.

The main reason I passed is that if I buy anything else I would rather spend a bit more and buy a Morgan  or an early TVR Project. The YT was $6,500 . For around $10,000  I have seen a few Morgan starting points and even a TVR Grantura or two. 

I liked the YT , just not nearly as much as a Morgan or Grantura.

On 5/25/2023 at 5:34 PM, 1939_Buick said:

Interesting car.   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MG_Y-type

As noted in Wikipedia styling very out dated for 1953

Good its still on the road and being used.

"Out of date" or "traditional"?  Other examples are the Lanchester LD10, Triumph Renown and Austin Sheerline.  There was resistance in the UK to American "envelope" styling.  One of the strongest opponents was Lord Nuffield (Sir William Morris).  The post war Morris Minor was designed without his knowledge using envelope styling.  When he saw the prototype for the first time he said it looked like a crumpet and stormed out of the showing.

The Triumph Renown was mechanically identical to the Standard Vanguard, but looked completely different since the Vanguard was styled in the American idiom.