1937 Buick Special Exhaust Manifold Gasket

Has anyone had an issue with their exhaust manifold gasket? I purchased the copper one from Bob's. Installed it with the copper Loctite Copper Based Anti-seize Lubricant as recommended in the Buick forum. Torqued about 17 lbs as recommended for the old long in line manifolds. Heard an exhaust leak after 600 miles and part of the gasket is sliding up on ports 6 and 7. All other ports are fine. Called Bob's and the sales guy said others are complaining about this same thing. Big PIA to replace! Any comments or ideas?

EMG 1.jpg

EMG 2.jpg

When I pulled my manifold off there were inner sleeves that seemed designed to align the manifold to the head. As in, halfway into the head and halfway into the manifold. It never occurred to me that they may have also been to keep the gasket from sliding around. I thought they were just an extra barrier to block any blowby. Go figure 

• Like 1

Very similar happened with the gaskets on my '31 when I first received it. I put a new set from Olsen's, but see no reason why it won't do the same thing given a little time. I used the Permatex Copper Spray-a-Gasket when I installed it.

37 Buick Special,

I followed the recommendation of the shop manual to use a mixture of graphite lubricant and engine oil on the exhaust ports between the gasket and the head which I brushed onto the head side of the gasket. The gland rings or inner sleeves are called pilot rings in the shop manual and are most likely needed to prevent the gaskets from shifting with heat cycling and vibration. 

Steve D

• Like 2

I installed using gland rings in all the intake ports and an orange Hi Temp sealant around the exhaust ports.  Both sides of the copper gasket.

• 3 weeks later...

JBP,

Thank you for your input. I have already replaced the gasket with, yep a copper one. We will see how it goes. I took the advise of many on the forum not to torque the nuts down any more than say 20lbs to put less stress on the manifold on first installation. Not saying that was the cause but Gary Wheeler who did a more than immaculate complete restoration of his 37 (check his blog to see an amazing restoration and documentation of his project) went to specs with 30lbs. I did so as well this time. And the manifold was planed prior to first installation.  Didn't see the Remflex info soon enough but it will be the next step if this one goes bad.

Regards,

Dave 

It sure looks like an expansion problem.  If the manifold is fit with expansion joints they are surely seized.  

I endorse the use of graphite or pure aluminum paint.

Once upon a time I couldn't keep someone's Chevy 6 marine manifold from blowing the gasket.  Carlyle Webb of Webb's Auto Supply told me to put it together with two gaskets and mentioned that, (marine), Buick straight eights would only hold the gasket if they were doubled up and the end bolts tightened a bit less than the rest.

It sounded as bogus then as it does now but I did what he suggested and it worked on the Chevy.

Carly's door once sported the want ad that read:  "Wanted, a good woman who can cook, clean, dig clams and owns a boat and motor.  Send photo of boat and motor".

• 11 months later...

Hi

Does anyone have an exploded intake and exhaust manifold view similar to Em Tee's post war view but for 1940? I'm dealing with a leaking and cracked exhaust manifold in a 1940 Buick Special (248 ci) and will attempt to remove, repair (if possible) or replace.  It looks like different gaskets thicknesses were used and all kinds of different washers used some not square with the studs.  I'm worried disassembly will result in broken parts - but that's for a different forum topic

Thanks

Jim

Clipperfan

BCA #52571

AACA # 918917

1940-buick-40-special-26s (2024_01_11 21_10_18 UTC).jpg

I just recently pulled and installed my exhaust manifold three times due to getting to a leaking water jacket cover on my 35/40 series.The first gasket I used was a copper one from Bob's and I couldn't get it to run because of an intake leak or so I think.I went back to the fel pro composite ones and so far so good.I torqued mine to 15 ft.lbs and used graphite spray on the gaskets.Mine has the guide rings in the intake ports.The last time I installed the manifold I sheared the # 1 stud off ,tried an easy out with no luck so I drilled and tapped it. I drilled too deep and struck water! I installed a new stud with j-b weld on the threads and it seems alright now. What a pain! Glad I used the non copper gaskets from what I've read. It all started when I used evap-o-rust. I think it worked too well.Greg