1950 Oldsmobile $21,000

Marketplace - 1950 Oldsmobile Rocket 88 Holiday Coupe | Facebook

Here is a beautiful example of a mostly original 1950 Oldsmobile Rocket 88 Holiday Coupe. This car has the rocket 88 303 cubic inch v8 motor that has a lot of history with nascar back in the 1950s. Interior is 90% original and in great shape. Motor fires right up and runs great. Paint is a 7 out of 10. Paint looks good but up close it does have some scratches and chips. Original emblems and chrome are in very good shape. The car does need some work to on the brakes. They work but shutter. For this reason I would say it should be trailered. Odometer says 94,000 miles but who knows how accurate that actually is. Asking $21,000 OBO! If you would need the car delivered I have full size car haulers and for a extra price could deliver it to you. Feel free to ask any questions!

• Like 3

I agree, maybe a bit high but rarely seen anymore, 2nd year, 1st year for mid size 88 2 door hardtop.  Subject to in person inspection, but just add up what it would cost to restore a #4 solid car.  I think that would be $75,000 or so.  

If it pans out OK, drives out and chrome and paint, and interior, electrical wiring all decent, then $18,000 seems a good price to me. 

Great looking car, it's only original once. As it is an original car, I would do nothing to this car except tend to the brakes. The price is accurate in my estimation, I would not try to bargain with the seller as I really like this car. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, George Smolinski said:

Why is the binoculars case behind the left rear tire?

I noticed those also and was thinking they make a heck of a wheel chock. 

Nice ride. To me that price should include delivery. This car is nice to look at but it's no rare model. 

A google image search only turned up a few.  One sold that looked nice but with several noted rust repairs on BAT in 2018 for 27500

Another is listed for sale in black like this for 60G (which is crazy)  I didn't look too deep in to the others.  A few were sold with no price recorded.  But this seems very fairly priced if it doesn't have any issues. 

I think the last time I saw one was at Hershey 7 or 8 years ago for sale and it was very nice, with a price a little less than 20 but it was sold the very first day.  I actually think it's the only one I have seen in person. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, George Smolinski said:

Why is the binoculars case behind the left rear tire?

When i was in the army and we had to go for a truck driver license , the instructor would put your watch behind the left rear tire on a slope and with the hand brake on , then you had to leave without crashing your watch .If your watch survived you did get your licence .

• Like 1

In my book a 1950 Olds 88 Holiday Coupe is a somewhat rare, highly desirable and very sought after collector car that any Olds enthusiast would be proud to own. At $17K this one seems reasonably priced but maybe the difference is in the details. IMO it's difficult to judge a car's true condition based on small pictures on a computer but a few things stand out, admittedly some are minor nits but the steering wheel center is off-kilter, there's an aftermarket tach where the clock should be, the carpets have some visible holes and a screw is holding the driver's inside door panel in place. The muffler is smashed on one side and I'm not sure the right fender skirt is properly aligned. Is it me or is the lower right front fender bent inward behind the front wheel? The black paint looks shiny but maybe prospective buyers are seeing the paint as a 5 out of a 10 instead of the seller's 7 out of a 10? Add to this the brake shuddering problem that requires trailering, maybe some noisy valve lifters. possibly a Hydramatic that is less than spot-on, and an occasional leak here & there and maybe the car isn't all it appears to be. This is alll conjecture on my part but if this Olds is as good as it looks in the pictures I think it should have been sold by now. 

• Like 2