Audrain Veteran Car Tour 2023 April 30th Newport RI

alsancle

Glad a little bit of rain is not bothering you. We had some here today ourselves. It came with a few small tornados. Yes, this is local to my house, the shop, and unfortunately……..Phil’s neighborhood got hammered big time. Phil and his wife are fine…….the subdivision they live in, not so much. Their next door neighbors lost a car and part of a roof. It was ugly, fortunately no major injuries.

IMG_1034.png

IMG_1035.png

70455959103__C40409C2-3DF6-4910-8AA3-3252BD92BB42.jpeg

70455961086__AFC25C55-660C-4F7E-BD96-A7D376BA5E20.jpeg

• Thanks 2

WOW, I hope everyone is safe and the rain stops so damage can be repaired - at least roofs covered over to prevent any further water from entering.

thanks for the report that all the people are well.

• Like 1

I took some videos which I think are pretty cool. I’ll try to get them uploaded in the next couple days.

I think they had something like 21 cars sign up, 4 dropped out because of the rain, 12 or 13 made it to lunch, and maybe 10 made it back to the museum.   

The two steam cars I know did the entire circuit. There probably were a few others that did it also, but you could short circuit the last loop to the southern portion of the island and go straight to the reception at the museum. And I think some people did that because of the rain.

The entire tour was about 60 miles.

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)
  • Like 6

Glad that Type 44 Bugatti is getting some attention body wise. It spent years outside under a tarp n the 1970's. The engine got a full rebuilt and the owner enjoyed driving it. He would drive is from the edge of the Hudson River to a shop in Connecticut for inspection every year after the rebuild. Hope it gets the fenders it has deserved all these years. IMG_2199.jpeg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 1937hd45 said:

Glad that Type 44 Bugatti is getting some attention body wise. It spent years outside under a tarp n the 1970's. The engine got a full rebuilt and the owner enjoyed driving it. He would drive is from the edge of the Hudson River to a shop in Connecticut for inspection every year after the rebuild. Hope it gets the fenders it has deserved all these years. IMG_2199.jpeg

Bob,  that is funny because for some reason I specifically thought of you when I saw this car.  Weird.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Bob,  that is funny because for some reason I specifically thought of you when I saw this car.  Weird.

Good memories with that Type 44, It was under a tarp outside the day I started at the shop and visually never changed in the 13 years I was there. The owner at the time really liked to drive it, it was a long drawn out engine rebuild, nothing broken, nothing fancy, just took time and money. I'm happy it is on the floor with the new displaymates. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, oldcarfudd said:

Not as bad as the guys in the Stanley taking the pictures - they have nothing above or in front of them to deflect the rain.

When he climbed in right in front of us, I made the remark that  he was screwed. Then I thought for a second before it hit me he’s in way better shape than we are…

The worst part is the lack of fenders. Everything spits right up in your face.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

Good memories with that Type 44, It was under a tarp outside the day I started at the shop and visually never changed in the 13 years I was there. The owner at the time really liked to drive it, it was a long drawn out engine rebuild, nothing broken, nothing fancy, just took time and money. I'm happy it is on the floor with the new displaymates. 

You must’ve mentioned it in the past. Because I absolutely thought of you and I was going to direct the post with the pictures in it to you.

No front fenders…….AJ, isn’t it interesting how much more difficult the thought of…….”xxxx it, just go for it” is when your 60? 😝

• Like 1

In the very early days of motoring a steam car would run rings around the internal combustion cars.  So much so that many races banned the steam cars.  That would change by 1910 or so and the steam car was just about done.     In this video we are passing all the other cars including the White Steamer which was probably the second fastest car on the tour. 

• Like 9

A.J.:

You really got to experience a taste of motoring better than a century ago.   The only things missing were either clouds of dust, mud spattering or mired in axle-deep mud.    Bet it was fun, albeit a bit damp...  Thanks for taking us along.

Steve

• Like 1

Wonderful photos! Some really incredible automobiles! I am curious however, what are the criteria for this tour? I see several cars I would expect to see on the London to Brighton Run, even a couple I am fairly sure I have seen in videos and photos from the L to B. Several other cars are clearly about 1908 (the Ford model S might be as early as 1907?).

Thank you for the photos! And the videos I will watch later when I can be uninterrupted!

I am envious. I have many thousands of miles in model T open wheel speedsters and racing cars! Probably a couple hundred miles in the rain, sometimes very heavy rain!

One of our most memorable Endurance Runs? We got stuck behind a herd of cattle being driven from one pasture to another. Do you know what cattle do when walking (and they do it a LOT more than you might think?)? Try THAT in an open wheel car!

I spend a lot of time looking for misplaced things, fortunately I find things I wasn't looking for that once in a while fit in with something current. This is the 1899 coverage of a car event in Newport. Looks like the weather was fine that day and the flower decorations hide the ID of the cars. 

DSCF8063.JPG

DSCF8062.JPG

• Like 1

Here is a video from near the end of the tour when we passed some of the "smaller" mansions in Newport.  As a New England vacation destination my two favorite places are Newport and the Mount Washington Hotel.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

Type 44 is a pedestrian model. Must be an American coach builder or at least it’s inspiration with that coal chute door on the golf bag aperture. Cost vs rewards the owner you knew had the right idea of how to enjoy it.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

Mrs. Belmont's butterfly is quite the parade car! I wonder if that is a Benz under all that decoration?

I did some research, Mrs. Belmont was the first wife of William K. Vanderbilt Jr., their daughter Consuelo lived here in Ridgefield and passed in 2011 at the age of 107. Her estate was a mile up the road from outside storage of the Type 44 Bugatti features in this thread. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oldcarfudd said:

Once upon a time, a horseless carriage had to be preceded by a pedestrian waving a red flag and warning of its approach.  Now a police vehicle with flashing gumballs fills that role.  125 year of progress!

And I think AJ and his steamer were trying to pass it!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

I did some research, Mrs. Belmont was the first wife of William K. Vanderbilt Jr., their daughter Consuelo lived here in Ridgefield and passed in 2011 at the age of 107. Her estate was a mile up the road from outside storage of the Type 44 Bugatti features in this thread. 

Man those rich people live forever. Must something in the water.

• Like 1

Notice something here? Real car people drive their cars……….yes it’s raining. And believe it or not, all of them have been wet before. I applaud the people still going out for a spin regardless of the weather. Edwardian motor cars when new were driven by adventurous people who were both wealthy and hardcore to the bone……..today’s collectors seem to need AC, heaters, and all the other creature comforts of home. We have become way too soft in our lifestyles today.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 12

2 hours ago, edinmass said:

Notice something here? Real car people drive their cars……….yes it’s raining. And believe it or not, all of them have been wet before. I applaud the people still going out for a spin regardless of the weather. Edwardian motor cars when new were driven by adventurous people who were both wealthy and hardcore to the bone……..today’s collectors seem to need AC, heaters, and all the other creature comforts of home. We have become way too soft in our lifestyles today.

This is the smartest observation you have had in a while. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

AJ, I have said before, I know little to nothing about these type of cars. Is that Stanley an original configuration or has it been modified to a 'speedster' version?  Looks like it was fun in spite of the weather (I bet you wish it had cycle fenders at least on the front wheels).

• Like 1

The Stanley is a modern build.......could be some original components, maybe not.......it's a replica of the Ormond Beach racer if my memory is correct. They built about a dozen of them. Popular with the steam crown..........and a BUNCH of fun.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 2