For Sale: 1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible - "Second owner, Excellent condition" - New York, NY - Not Mine - 6/20 Reduced - 6/28 SOLD! - 9/4 Increased and Flipping in Corning, NY - 3/18/24 No longer available

For sale on Facebook: 1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible in New York, NY  -  $16,000  -  Must be a member of Facebook to access Seller's contact information.

On 6/20, Seller reduced price on the Facebook ad to $14,750

Link: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/975930407117020/-1970-Cadillac-DeVille-Convertible

On 6/6, Seller listed on Craigslist (same price, $16,000)

Link: https://longisland.craigslist.org/cto/d/sag-harbor-classic-1970-cadillac/7629432187.html

Seller's Description:

1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible

• Driven 60,855 miles
  • Automatic transmission
  • Exterior color: Green · Interior color: White
  • Fuel type: Gasoline
  • Excellent condition
  • Clean title
  • This vehicle has no significant damage or problems

Hello Everyone,

I am selling my beautiful 1970 Cadillac Deville Convertible. I am the second owner, and the original owner was a childhood friend of mine, so had been around the car since it was new, and had driven it when it was new as well. I've owned it for many many years, and this car has ALWAYS been garage kept, and barely driven with only 60,000 REAL original miles!

• I've always made sure to take care of the beautiful white leather seats and white OEM Cadillac rubber floor mats, as well as the beautiful metallic green paint! The car comes with power windows, locks, a power convertible top which works flawlessly (we just did not lower the top for the pictures because it was a rainy day), cruise control, air conditioning and heat, and an AM/FM radio, which were very luxurious and modern features, especially for a car from 1970!
  • In my ownership, I upgraded the sound system with Sony components, and it sounds very classy. Recently, we put a new top on the car, a new radiator, had the engine tuned up, and swapped the carburetor to fuel injection, so the car makes more horsepower than it did from the factory. We also put in a new battery and alternator. I also have brand new seals for all of the rubber seal bits around the doors and top.
  • The car starts right up and purrs like a kitten! It runs and drives great, and everything works, except the gear indicator when you switch from park to neutral/drive/reverse... But the gears all work, it's just the indicator that doesn't show the gear on the steering column. The car has very little rust for it's age. Keeping it in the garage has helped with that of course. The only issue with rust is that there is some on the bottom of the passenger door and just ahead of the passenger door on the bottom of the right front fender as seen in the photos.

Now is your chance to own this beautiful, garage kept time capsule 1970 Cadillac Deville Convertible! Thanks for looking!

image.png.c70be101dab94749563082578c90acba.png

image.png.f2345b9a6cd380decd5278ba8560bd24.png

image.png.f20a63bb1948229cdb24dd1c43792115.png

image.png.e0493c42d39cc15515b58b5c7d21cc5d.png

image.png.bb40ee36f96ec5f3411461d9d6852739.png

image.png.7b24a28895097523860e49d7c9898951.png

image.png.2fc4a446fa084dd763accf42125dfe98.png

image.png.98ad94285606fef4b12cf904dc9b4770.png

image.png.0e019f9c26f33056e629467b4ccdbd8c.png

Edited by 6T-FinSeeker
update status (see edit history)
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, 6T-FinSeeker said:

and swapped the carburetor to fuel injection, so the car makes more horsepower than it did from the factory.

7 hours ago, 6T-FinSeeker said:

But the gears all work, it's just the indicator that doesn't show the gear on the steering column. 

Wait…. You quickly and simply “swap” the carb for FI, but you can’t fix the shift quadrant?  
Nice car but I would like to know more about the fuel system changes.  Those are not simple swaps. 

• Like 4

My '71 Eldo had a shift quadrant issue as well. I had my mechanic adjust as far as it'd go, but the needle still didn't line up.

Could be the seller had it worked on, but couldn't resolve the problem. So now it's an "easy fix" for the buyer .

The FI conversion seems like expensive overkill. Those Cadillacs had plenty of power, but it's torquey power, not neck-snapping power. Step on the gas and you hardly sense anything but you're suddenly doing 80 mph. 

Changing to FI seems like a costly experiment. Maybe it was a matter of the seller not being able to get the carb to work right, rather than trying to increase output?

• Like 1

The seller needs to show detailed pics of the rust in the door and fender, as well as pics of engine and undercarriage.

Never needed more power - if properly adjusted !!!

As noted many times, ours would really Haul A$$ !

We toured the almost identical, but Triple Black, 1970 Cadillac deVille convertible extremely comfortably, tens of thousands of miles.

We bought it with

We were the 3rd owners, and it was only in the hands of collector/enthusiasts from new. Originally sold in Sacramento, and accumulated less than 15,xxx miles in 15 years, the 2nd owners of nearly 20 years added 39,xxx miles. They kept it in San Diego for several years, later having it shipped to central Virginia, and then to Louisiana. We bought the Caddy from the 2nd owners in 2004, and it was safely parked in a highrise garage here in Metairie during Hurricane Katrina. 

!970's deVille convertible was the last of Cadillac's Full Frame, Rear Wheel Drive Convertible - powered by the big 472 ci engine - still high compression, positraction, and unencumbered by any pollution controls - this magnificent triple black beauty would really Haul A$$, shocking many "muscle car" folks - but still returning an honest 17.5 mpg at Interstate highway speeds, enjoying Cruise Control, A/c, Tilt and Telescope wheel, FM Stereo, etc. (If it were triple white I might have resisted selling).

We did drive it coast to coast to coast (Gulf to Pacific to Atlantic), Mexico to Canada, Florida to Oregon and Vancouver, Maine to Taos to San Diego, to Pikes Peak, Death Valley, Albuquerque to Myrtle Beach.

In a moment of weakness it was passed to a local club member in Houma, LA who loves it and refuses to let me buy it back

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)
  • Like 2

it does look like a nice Cadillac.

When I first bought my Pontiac it had an incorrect tri power setup on the stock 347 V8.  I wanted to make my life with this car a little less of a headache so I decided to swap out the tri power and use a stock 4bbl Carter AFB.  But there were a few folks that had proposed an FI unit from Holley.  It's called Sniper EFI 4BBL. They said you install it, set up the electronics and forget it. The stock air cleaner will even fit! It's possible that this Cadillac has something like that. As for my Pontiac; I like originality so I was steadfast went with the Carter AFB. 

Edited by deac (see edit history)
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ericmac said:

I have always liked 69-70 Caddy convertibles.  This car does indeed look like a nice car but I don't think I could live with the green paint that's on it now.  I'd have to repaint it, even if I used a non-original color. 

They're readily available.  You'd save your money

by buying one in a color you liked!  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hudsy Wudsy said:

My recollection is that '70 is the last year for rear-wheel-drive Cadillac convertibles. Is that right?

Yes.

1971-1976 Cadillac convertibles were front wheel drive Eldorados.

Jim Vesely

ROA # 7437

BCA # 39477

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Hudsy Wudsy said:

My recollection is that '70 is the last year for rear-wheel-drive Cadillac convertibles. Is that right?

On 4/21/2023 at 5:20 PM, Marty Roth said:

The seller needs to show detailed pics of the rust in the door and fender, as well as pics of engine and undercarriage.

Never needed more power - if properly adjusted !!!

1970's deVille convertible was the last of Cadillac's Full Frame, Rear Wheel Drive Convertible - powered by the big 472 ci engine - still high compression, positraction, and unencumbered by any pollution controls - this magnificent triple black beauty would really Haul A$$, shocking many "muscle car" folks - but still returning an honest 17.5 mpg at Interstate highway speeds, enjoying Cruise Control, A/c, Tilt and Telescope wheel, FM Stereo, etc. (If it were triple white I might have resisted selling). 

Yes, It was the Last Year for a Full Sized, Rear Wheel Drive Cadillac Convertible-

Starting in 1971, if you wanted a Cadillac convertible, it was only available as a Front-Wheel-Drive El Dorado, and from then through 1976 was much heavier, more bulky, and notoriously underpowered by comparison, and with much worse fuel mileage!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would bet this car does not look as good in person. Another lets take pictures on a rainy day so it doesnt look like the obvious wet down of dull paint routine. Seat leather looks tired, steering wheel looks like it has issues, the seat backs look like they are starting to turn to powder. All in all not a bad car, but I think it needs its share of tlc. EFI seems to the be flavor of the month. I dont think it delivers any more hp, but may give a bit more mpg. The funny thing is every time I see it installed on an old car at shows the first comment I get is 'it starts right up the first time'. My car with a properly tuned qjet carb starts right up the first time as well!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible - "Second owner for many many years, Excellent condition" - New York, NY - Not Mine - 6/20 Reduced

I had a '70 Coupe back in the mid '70's really a good running car. I agree these cars properly tuned, will start easily and idle reliably.  Gas mileage probably was pretty poor but so was everything else in those days. I took it on some long trips, such a great road car. I would love a green one, but I'm staying away from big cars like this. 

• Like 1

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible - "Second owner for many many years, Excellent condition" - New York, NY - Not Mine - 6/20 Reduced - 6/28 SOLD! - 9/4 Flipping in Corning, NY

On 9/4, Dealer listed for sale on Cars.com: 1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible in Corning, NY  -  $22,995  -  Call Miller Bros. Auto Sales, 11937 E Corning Road, Corning, NY 14830  -  Phone: 866 984 2803  -  Website: https://millerbrosautosales.com/

On 10/25, Seller increased price to $24,995

Link: https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/94e80f53-756b-4a06-8638-833eee467f7f/-1970-Cadillac-DeVille-Convertible

Seller's Description:

1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible

• VIN: F0214344
  • Stock #: 214344
  • Mileage:  61,096 miles (from photo of dash)
  • Exterior: Green
  • Interior: White
  • Accidents or damage: None reported
  • Clean title: Yes
  • 1-owner vehicle: Yes
  • Personal use only: Yes

image.png.bc5657fd64fec10e259ff7733a5e0c00.png

image.png.773d62d49e909222d3b9d6701357d6cf.png

image.png.e7eeee540f33adc0af344ad588883266.png

image.png.cb74bb2a33e51d07b687544d0bebcc80.png

Edited by 6T-FinSeeker
update price (see edit history)

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible - "Second owner for many many years, Excellent condition" - New York, NY - Not Mine - 6/20 Reduced - 6/28 SOLD! - 9/4 Increased and Flipping in Corning, NY
  • 1 month later...
  • 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible - "Second owner, Excellent condition" - New York, NY - Not Mine - 6/20 Reduced - 6/28 SOLD! - 9/4 Increased and Flipping in Corning, NY - 10/25 Increased

The original seller disclosed the rust, and the 

incorrect modifications to the original specs.

The current dealer does none of that in his ad.

Is the dealer "lying by omission?"  I hope not.

But honest representation always helps this hobby,

and it's vital if a dealer is to keep a good reputation.

• Like 1

The dealer says nothing but he has included more photos. There are pictures of the door bottoms that the first seller described as having rust.  

Still no information or pictures about the EFI conversion……?

it retains the original air cleaner which rarely happens with conversions…..

The first seller said “fuel injection”….. could it be possible that the carburetor was rebuilt and the first seller sees a carb and FI has the same thing?  (like when people swap the words alternator and generator). 

• 4 months later...
  • 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible - "Second owner, Excellent condition" - New York, NY - Not Mine - 6/20 Reduced - 6/28 SOLD! - 9/4 Increased and Flipping in Corning, NY - 3/18/24 No longer available