'49 Plymouth

I would start with a really good cleaning. Then see what you have.  The problem with restorations is it's a long journey in many instances where the owner loses interest or can't complete it for many different reasons,  then you have a disassembled car that is near impossible to get rid of.  

As mentioned by Keiser, I would clean it up get it going and use it a little. There are lot of weekend or evening type projects to improve a car without getting into a restoration. 

• Like 4

brakes and tires, but does it run well at all? fuel system, fluids, battery,condition of radiator, hoses. all this will start the cash flowing.worth it? looking at that car i say yes, but alot is still not known. how long has it sat unused? it can be a fun car, but not alot of interest in the collector car world. it is a survivor and they are getting rarer by the day. this site will be a big help.   dennis  

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

How is it mechanically? If she’s a good runner, just make sure your brakes are good, cooling system is working as it should, and take her for a ride! As for restoration, it doesn’t seem to need much. Don’t worry about cosmetics, because it looks very good for its age and in my opinion adds character. Every ding and scratch tells a story..

I love that this car has family history and is still with the family, keep er’ goin!

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Good for you, wanting to keep and save this wonderful family heirloom!

If you don't have one, get a factory service manual. It is extraordinarily valuable when you start in on the brakes, the u-joints, resealing the engine, transmission, rear end, etc. And it shows you all of the many lubrication points along with their recommended lubricants.

Like others have said, I wouldn't undertake a full restoration on that car. I would get everything squared away mechanically. All new service brakes, rebuild the parking brake, new tires, front end checked and rebuilt as needed, make sure that the transmission and rear end and everything else retains its fluids, get the fuel system cleaned out, get the engine running well, rebuild the engine if necessary. Lubricate the u-joints and all of the other grease points. Check and lubricate the front and rear wheel bearings, lubricate the speedometer and the speedometer cable, generator, water pump, make sure all the gauges are working and repair as needed. Check over the wiring and replace any that is corroded or chafed, or consider a complete wiring harness if the original is bad enough. Clean all of the light sockets and make sure that all of the lights are working. Clean out the cooling system. Make sure that the door latches are working good and if not, there is repair kits available for them. Get the car all as clean as possible inside, outside, and underneath.

That list right there will get you on the road and enjoying a sweet old survivor. It is no small amount of work or money to get to that point. But then you can decide after that if you want to go further.

If you want to cruise the freeways with that car, swapping in an overdrive transmission from an early '50s Plymouth will transform it into a different car.

Edited by Hemi Joel
Correcting autocorrect (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...